Dr. Kalane Wong, MD

Dr. Kalane Wong, MD

Ophthalmology  ·
Female  ·
Dr. Kalane Wong, MD is an ophthalmology specialist in Santa Rosa, CA and has been practicing for 28 years. She graduated from University Of California At Davis / School Of Medicine in 1986 and specializes in ophthalmology.Read her story

1017 2nd St

Santa Rosa, CA 95404

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Blue Shield of California
  • Western Health Advantage

Learn about Dr. Wong

See how frequently Dr. Wong performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Corneal Diseases
Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Glaucoma

Dr. Wong's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Wong's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Wong "My first job was standing on a milk crate while washing dishes at my parents' Chinese restaurant in Milwaukee. The demands of the restaurant business must have impressed my first-generation siblings and me as we all ended up in graduate school! While an undergraduate at Harvard University, over half of my courses were outside of my biology major. I loved learning about Asian history and art, and Shakespeare and child psychology, as well as meeting classmates from different backgrounds. Before my fourth year at UC-Davis Medical School, I took a year off and worked as the medical education coordinator in over 20 developing countries with Project Orbis. That year was pivotal in my decision to become an ophthalmologist. I met so many eye doctors who felt fulfilled with their work and I saw so much good being done in the clinics and operating rooms. Following my ophthalmology residency at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, I received a grant and traveled to India to perform cataract surgery and to work in the clinics at Aravind Eye Hospital with the Seva Foundation. It's hard to believe that I have been in practice as a general ophthalmologist in Santa Rosa for over 20 years! I truly appreciate the wonderful opportunity to get to know my patients and their families over time. On a given day at the office, I might measure a 3-year old child's eye alignment , drain a lid lesion in a middle-aged woman, and evaluate a man in his 80's for cataract surgery. I find it especially touching when I see elderly couples having their eye exams together (I encourage them to make it a date and go out to eat afterwards!), or a devoted son or daughter bringing in their parent. Although the science of medicine and the puzzle of a diagnosis offer never-ending stimulus and challenge, I enjoy how my work allows me the chance to improve the quality of a patient's life. I encourage my patients to ask questions, to consider preventive approaches, and to be involved in their overall health care. Brushing up on my Spanish has improved my communication skills. I remind myself daily that everyone has the need to be heard, understood, and treated with respect. Behind every ophthalmologist is an amazing support staff. I am proud of our excellent team at ECI/NCMA. It is only with their help that I can work with a smile, at least most of the time! They are here to assist you as well."

This content was provided by Dr. Wong "Although the science of medicine and the puzzle of a diagnosis offer never-ending stimulus and challenge, I enjoy how my work allows me the chance to improve the quality of a patient?s life. I encourage my patients to ask questions, to consider preventive approaches, and to be involved in their overall health care. Brushing up on my Spanish has improved my communication skills. I remind myself daily that everyone has the need to be heard, understood, and treated with respect."

• Ophthalmology

• Corneal Ulcer
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen

• Foreign Body Removal from Eye
  • Glaucoma Surgery
  • Ocular Surface Reconstruction
  • Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye

No malpractice history found for California.

• Harvard Medical School
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1980
  • University Of California At Davis / School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1986
  • Mercy Medical Center, San Diego
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1987
  • University of California Medical Center, San Francisco
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1990

Dr. Wong has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Wong does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wong and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Wong's Reviews

2.4
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wong to family and friends
8 total reviews (1 has a comment)

Dr. Wong's Performance

FAIR

GOOD

I've been going to Dr. Wong for the last couple of years and received excellent care. She's taken the time to clearly explain what was needed and has been very easy to communicate with. I've recommended other family and friends and they've been equally pleased with the results.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0