Dr. K Daniel Riew, MD

Dr. K Daniel Riew, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |

Dr. Dan Riew is world renowned for cervical spine surgery, and his practice is exclusively limited to the operative treatment of the cervical spine, a rarity among spine surgeons. He typically performs over 250 cervical spine operations each year, ranging from minimally invasive microsurgical outpatient procedures to the most complex "chin-on-chest" or "ear-on-shoulder" deformities. He has a particular interest in cervical artificial disc replacements and other motion-sparing procedures such as laminoplasties. A doctor's doctor, over 100 physicians have been operated on by Dr. Riew, including several spine surgeons.

ColumbiaDoctors Orthopedics

51 W 51st St Ste 370

New York, NY 10019

• Buckeye Community Health Plan
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Riew

We are committed to delivering the best care and an exceptional patient experience. We are devoted to providing services that are patient-centered and compassionate, and care for you as a person.

Video

Dr. Riew's Experience

Dr. Riew's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Complex Spinal Reconstruction
  • Complex Spine Surgery
  • Disc Arthroplasty
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstruction
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Surgery

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Harvard College
  • New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989
  • University Hospitals Of Cleveland
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1995

Dr. Riew has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Riew does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Riew and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Riew to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Riew's Performance
in Hilo, HI |
In early 2017, I faced a dilemma. My daughter, who sustained a neck injury as a teen, needed help again with her spine. I knew she already had two surgeries in Hawaii. I fretted about how to best help her. In a leap of faith, I checked a couple BEST SURGEONS IN THE US lists and found 3 cervical surgeons who were on BOTH lists. Dan Riew was one of them. Dr Riew is absolutely an expert surgeon and his team is superb as well. My daughter had the best help possible on the planet. Thanks!
in Hilton Head Island, SC |
My initial meeting with Dr. Riew was immensely informative and helpful in my consideration of committing to cervical spinal surgery. Dr. Riew thoroughly reviewed both the medical evidence supporting the need for surgery as well as the full range of options and trade-offs between alternative procedures. He easily established a positive rapport and we had a candid dialog regarding pre and post operative experiences and outcomes. Dr. Riew's impressive credentials were clearly evident.
in Woodcliff Lake, NJ |
.Everyone associated with Dr. Riew during our visit was exceptional. From the receptionist who greeted us with a handshake and a smile to the nurses who met with us after our consultation with Dr. Riew to ensure we were clear on the proposed plan, the experience was top notch. Dr. Riew was the highlight of the experience. He spent a lot of time and we never felt rushed. I hope to avoid surgery, but if it is required I know I am in the best hands with Dr. Riew and his exceptional team.
in Pawling, NY |
I came to Dr. Riew for a second opinion and I'm very glad I did. He was extremely knowledgeable and caught something on my MRI that others had missed. He was very thorough, as was his assistant. He explained all of my options plainly and discussed every possible complication even though he felt they were unlikely. I left feeling greatly relieved and optimistic at my prognosis. I would highly recommend Dr. Riew to anyone.
Clifton, NJ |
My 1st encounter with Dr Riew's team was Shirley R. She was the sweetest most helpful soul soothing go out of their way person i ever met in medical field. Next was Samara & Jasmine which engaged me with pleasant conversation & took vitals, info etc. Coordinator Jenny L. was a great educational pleasure to speak with during a questions & answering session concerning my surgery. Then to find out how lucky i am to have Dr Riew a true medical STAR performing my surgery. I'm truly at ease!
in Port Chester, NY |
Meeting Dr. Riew exceeded all my expectations. His expertise and ability to connect to the patient is outstanding. I felt as if I was his only patient.
Chicago, IL |
Dr. Riew is extremely knowledgeable and equally important able to discuss very complex issues well with his patients. He is not rushed and does take his time explaining all the options of treatment. His office staff were very friendly and accommodating...well worth the trip.
in Durango, CO |
I am a complex spine patient who was in debilitating neck pain for several years. I am now a month out from upper cervical spine surgery with Dr. Riew, and the results have been miraculous. He is humble, brilliant, and skilled. I am so very grateful for his excellent care...
in Redondo Beach, CA |
Exceptional, professional, formal but warm, left me well informed, was clear, a good listener, answered all of my questions, clearly expert in cervical spine with an excellent reputation, and he gave me the most extensive and most thorough exam I've had so far (and I've been to 3 other surgeons in Calif). He put me at ease. I'm pleased to have met him and will be having the work on my cervical done by Dr. Riew. His staff is amazing! Jenny, Sylvia, Angie, Samara, goodness! He has an A Team
in Astoria, NY |
This was my first visit to Dr. Riew He was patient, kind, and took his time to explain my condition and how we would proceed thereafter. I feel that I am in extremely capable hands and in the best possible place for my surgery.
in Newburgh, NY |
My entire experience with Dr. Riew and the Spine Hospital was exceptional. Very organized, thorough and courteous. Dr. Riew was very patient explaining my xrays, tests and prognosis. I felt very confident with him.
in Jersey City, NJ |
Dr. Riew performed ACDF Surgery on me in July 2016. I received outstanding care and responsiveness from Dr. Riew and his team.
in GARDEN CITY PARK, NY |
My experience with Dr. Riew was outstanding. I have already recommended his service to several of my friends. From the moment I met him, I knew he was the doctor for me. He was kind, considerate, con-fident, and had a wonderful bed side manner. His smiling face gives a feeling of his friendliness. He speaks about his profession with a passion and displays a desire to help you and "make you better". He certainly helped me, for which I am thankful, and without hesitation I would recommend him
in Bronx, NY |
My visit to Dr. Riew's office was life changing. After spending two years in pain following ACDF surgery for a herniated disc in C6-C7, I didn't expect a quick diagnosis of failed fusion and renewed hope that surgery could fix me. I had a number of complicating factors as well as pain issues throughout my neck and back that ranged from low to moderately high at times. Dr. Riew took on my case and after revision ACDF surgery, I was free of pain (with some flareups) in 6 weeks. Dr. Riew = HOPE.
in Merrick, New York |
Dr. Riew was very professional and took much time answering all of my questions and concerning during my initial consultation. He showed me the x-rays of my neck and explained why my condition (spinal stenosis) was impacting my ability to walk (I was dragging my left leg). I was very pleased with the way explained things simply so I could understand my condition as well as the compassion and care he took to make me feel at ease. I had surgery on January 6, 2016 and I highly recommend Dr. Riew!
in Brooklyn, NY |
ok Dr. Reiw is absolutely phenomenal. you can tell right away why he is the best in the world. yes he is knowledgeable but he is poised, practiced, articulate, has perfect speed and comfort when deliveing bad news. he just makes you feel like you couldnt imagine using another doctor/surgeon and i havent even had surgery yet. then there is his staff who are not only, caring, smart, fun, but also interesting and extremely pretty. i could spend all day with them!!!! Samara Leshanna & Jenny!!!!!!
in Sherman, IL |
Dr. Dan Riew, MD is absolutely the best Cervical Spine Surgeon. I traveled from IL to New York June 2016 for a second Cervical Spine surgery without any hesitation. He was my surgeon in 2005 & I wouldn't even consider any other spine surgeon as long as he's available to do surgery. He is extremely intelligent, skilled, professional, compassionate, kind & dedicated. He truly cares about his patients. He's a rare find these days.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Daniel Riew performed a cervical spine fusion on me several weeks ago and to date my recovery proceeds well. The amount of information that he has shared with my wife and I makes this experience far better. Simply, the more we know, the better.
in Reston, VA |
Dan Riew is an extraordinary cervical spine surgeon in every way. Not only is he top-rated as a technician in his craft, but he is approachable, personable, and clearly cares about his patients in a way I have never seen before at any level of practice. Dan's entire team at The Spine Hospital is wonderful: to the person from receptionist to Spine Fellows, they are thoughtful, skilled, patient, willing to answer all questions fully, knowledgeable, and obviously patient-focused and caring.
in New York, NY |
Dr, Riew is a rock star! He has utmost confidence in his abilities and has amazing patient skills. He spent many office visits helping me understand what needs to be done and why. He showed amazing patience with my questions and was wonderful in easing my anxiety. I visited with numerous other NYC neurosurgeons & orthopedic surgeons to discuss neck fusion. Dr. Riew was head and shoulders above all of these other surgeons, without question. His surgical abilities are without peer!!
in Stratford, CT |
Dr. Riew and his staff are phenomenal. After 3 previous spine surgeries in two years, and continued pain and nerve damage, I was referred to Dr. Riew. He is kind, patient, listens, and his reputation as the absolute best is true. My entire experience with him and his staff has been the best decision I could have made. Highly recommend!
in New York, NY |
Without a doubt in my mind, Dr. Riew's reputation as a world class cervical spine specialist surgeon is highly deserved. He has an outstanding bedside manner with a deep understanding of cervical spine surgery. He has operated on my wife and saved her from certain paralysis. I would recommend anyone with spine problems or issues to immediately call and schedule an appointment with Dr Riew. I cannot praise his skills and demeanor enough.
in New York City, NY |
My mom had surgery with dr. Riew. He was very kind, thorough and knowledgeable. She has had 4 prior surgeries by 2 different doctors and the last one told us that Dr.Riew was the only one who could fix the problem. We got several opinions and they all agreed that we should go to Dr. Riew. He had to break her neck in 2 places and straighten out the mess that had been made by the first doctor. She is so happy now and free of pain and able to look straight ahead for the first time in 3 yrs.
in New York, NY |
He is the top cervical spine doctor in the world and deserves the reputation
Have you seen Dr. K Daniel Riew, MD?
Are you Dr. Riew?

Hospitals where Dr. Riew has admitting privileges

NewYork-Presbyterian/The Allen Hospital
5141 Broadway
New York, NY 10034

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Riew at ColumbiaDoctors Orthopedics