Dr. Justin Schwartzenberger, MD

Orthopedic Hand SurgeryMale

Telehealth services available

Bridger Orthopedic and Sports Medicine

1450 Ellis St Ste 201 Bozeman, MT 59715

Dr. Justin Schwartzenberger, MD is a Orthopedic Hand Surgery Specialist in Bozeman, MT. Dr. Schwartzenberger has more experience with Hand & Wrist Surgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with Bozeman Health Deaconess Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Schwartzenberger to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Hand Surgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Good Patient Care
    Patients said they had exceptional care at this hospital. See hospitals

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Montana

Frequently Treated by Dr. Schwartzenberger

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Schwartzenberger treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Schwartzenberger treats other conditions, please contact the office at (406) 587-0122.

Hand & Wrist Surgery

Hand and wrist conditions including arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's contracture, and fractures or sprains, with treatment options such as surgery or physical therapy.Compare with other Hand & Wrist Surgery specialists.

Dr. Schwartzenberger is experienced in the area of Hand & Wrist Surgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 24 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Similar Providers
Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
Trigger Finger
Hand Fracture
Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
Normal

• Excision of Tibia or Fibula
  • Foot and Ankle Dislocation Treatment, Closed
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Musculoskeletal Function Test
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Wrist Fracture
  • Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Replacement

Dr. Schwartzenberger accepts

Dr. Schwartzenberger accepts the following insurance:

Allegiance Health Plans
National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
PacificSource
Tricare

Dr. Schwartzenberger's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Schwartzenberger

4.3

Dr. Schwartzenberger
I don't usually review online, but I felt compelled due to the disgraceful conduct of Dr. Schwartzenberger during my appointment. He was late without apology, rushed, unnecessarily condescending, and ultimately of no value with regard to my healthcare. Unwilling to accept his seasoned predecessor's diagnosis of mere months earlier, he decided it would be in my best interest to start from early conservative therapies (physical therapy), despite my having this condition and being treated for it since an accident in the 1990s. When I asked why, he said "so I can make sure you're not doctor-shopping" and "so I'll be sure you don't just skip out on me." Um, ethical? Possibly, but... Turned out my condition had degenerated to a degree where, had I undergone PT, could have resulted in severe use of hand complications. Its unfortunate that he represents Bridger Ortho so poorly, because they have many kind, truly skilled doctors that I would recommend without hesitation.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Michelle, 2020 – Jun 28, 2021
I was extremely dissatisfied with this doctor. He kept me waiting 40 min. with only a prefunctory "sorry I'm late" when he showed up. Though I had x-rays done when I arrived he did not mention or discuss them with me at all. Throughout the too-brief appointment I felt all he wanted was to get to his lunch since his lateness made my time run over the noon hour. Worst of all was he pretty much forced me to sign a long surgery authorization form without me reading it. I was trying to read it and he kept telling me to sign it now, I'd get a copy I could read at home! This was inexcusable at best and perhaps unethical. When he ended the session too soon (he never once said "do you have any questions?" though I did get one or two in), I expressed exasperation that I had many questions I didn't get to ask to the staff at the desk and they just stared at me--no one asking if they could do anything, showing any concern, or anything else. There was more but I'm out of characters for this review.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Nov 21, 2020
Dr. Schwartzenberger did carpel tunnel release surgery on both my wrists this year. He's a pleasure to work with! Does a great job explaining the anatomical aspects of what's going on, how the surgery works, and what the various options are. Once I finally made the decision to go ahead (and I'm glad I did), the surgery was relatively quick and easy. I'm thankful for the scope technology and the team at Bridger Ortho that helped schedule everything and guide my recovery.
Dec 13, 2019
Dr. Schwartzenberger made such a difference in my life. I broke both wrists and two fingers in a car accident, and he and his PA Jon Medler took excellent care of me. The two of them just ooze capability, and inspired me to believe I was going to be ok when I really wasn’t sure if I ever would be. They were so competent and so caring, that I knew I was getting the best possible care. After they performed surgery to repair my wrists and put in titanium plates in each one, I’m doing really well and am so grateful to them.
Alice R. – Nov 24, 2019
My husband was losing use of his right hand due to contracture. He had been to numerous hand specialists and all that they would offer was cutting open his hand from tip of little finger thru his palm It would be a difficult procedure and a long and hard recovery. He was the very first specialist that suggested a very simple and painless non-invasive solution. No other specialists had ever mentioned this option so we went all in with Dr. Schwartzenberger. Much to our surprise, within 2 days his hand hand full function and no long and painful recovery. These "younger" doctors have proved that younger is better, as the "old school" docs are not up on new and better treatments and outcomes. Dr. Schwartzenberger is a genius. He is thorough and professional and caring. He has earned our respect and we are so lucky to have found such a great doctor.
May 07, 2019
Dr. Schwartzenberger diagnosed and repaired my right rotator cuff. He was professional, knowledgeable, and very helpful throughout the entire process. I was very active within 3 months and after 6 months - nearly 100% recovered. If I were ever in need of having a similar surgery, he would be the go-to guy. Dr. Schwartzenberger and the entire Bridger Orthopedic staff and PT team were excellent.
Kurt R. in Bozeman, NV – Nov 01, 2018
I came in with a broken clavicle looking for guidance in the type of treatment I should receive. After following Dr. Shwartzenbergers recommendation for surgery I was back to work within 6 weeks. Being professional and knowledgeable I knew I was in good hands.
Oct 18, 2018
I had a full thickness tear in my left shoulder along with other impingement issues. The surgery was scheduled quickly after the proper diagnosis and went very well. He was professional, knowledgeable, and answered my questions and concerns quickly. My shoulder is now mostly recovered and has had no issues since the surgery. I would recommend his practice to anyone seeking treatment for issues of this nature.
Bozeman, MT – Oct 16, 2018
A nasty fall on my elbow while walking on ice caused my humerus to pop up through my rotator cuff, shredding it and leaving me with little use of my right arm. Dr. Schwartzenberger spent hours repairing and debriding it in surgery. He told me that with effort and rehab, I could have full use back in five months...and he was spot-on. Because my fall happened at work, I was expecting the usual worker's comp nightmares one often hears, but Dr. Schwartzenberger and his staff were exceptional.
LorraineMontana in Bozeman, MT – Oct 06, 2018
After an injury, I had pain in my left shoulder and very limited range of motion. Dr Schwartzenberger quickly identified the problem as a damaged rotator cuff. He recommended arthroscopic surgery, because of the short recovery time. I agreed and he performed the surgery. I did recover quickly, and started PT. After six months I'm almost 100%. Dr Schwartzenberger was very professional and did a very good job. Thank you Dr Schwartzenberger!
Harry in Livingston, MT – Sep 26, 2018
fixed my arm .... no muss no fuss
MT – May 25, 2018

How was your experience with Dr. Schwartzenberger?

Dr. Schwartzenberger is a Butte, Montana native and Butte High School graduate.  He received his B.S. with High Honors from Montana State University...Read more

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery