Dr. Justin Griffin, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Jordan-Young Institute 5716 Cleveland St Ste 200 Virginia Beach, VA 23462 Get Directions
Dr. Justin Griffin, MD
Dr. Griffin, a native of Virginia Beach, is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing shoulder, knee and elbow surgery as well as other sports related injuries. His training includes advanced experience in the most modern, arthroscopic minimally invasive reconstructive technologies. After graduating first in his medical school class with Honors in Research, Dr. Griffin completed his residency at the University of Virginia. He was then selected to receive advanced specialized training in sports medicine and shoulder surgery completing the internationally acclaimed fellowship at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, and following this fellowship spent additional time with surgeons at the Mayo Clinic. With over 50 publications/presentations and book chapters, academic medicine is a vital part of Dr. Griffin's practice as he remains at the forefront of research in arthroscopic shoulder techniques including rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic labral repair, shoulder stabilization, outcomes after shoulder replacement, knee ligament reconstruction, meniscus repair, and articular cartilage repair. In addition, Dr. Griffin specializes in reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, including total shoulder replacement, resurfacing, revision shoulder surgery and reverse shoulder replacement. Prior to joining Jordan-Young, Dr. Griffin worked with the Chicago White Sox and Chicago Bulls, DePaul University, University of Virginia and James Madison University athletes. Dr. Griffin takes pride in caring for each patient like a professional athlete, using the same meticulous approach to restore them to top-level performance in sports, work and day-to-day life. Dr. Griffin has lectured nationally and served as faculty at courses focused on shoulder surgery and sports medicine. This year his research will be presented at the American Shoulder and Elbow Society, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, and International Cartilage Restoration Society. Dr. Griffin's practice utilizes a combination of approaches designed personally for each patient.

Dr. Griffin's Care Philosophy

Dr. Justin Griffin is dedicated to the treatment of all patients regardless of how minor or complex the problem. An advocate for education, research and patient care, Dr. Griffin is dedicated to helping his patients no matter if they are a professional athlete, weekend warrior or simply have a desire to get back to activities to remain healthy and active. Dr. Griffin's team approach is first to provide the highest level of clinical care to maximize outcome and recovery. In addition, he feels patient education is critical to facilitate shared decision making to achieving the best possible outcome. Finally, Dr. Griffin and his clinical and office staff strive to provide a warm, welcoming, and supportive patient experience.

Dr. Griffin's Experience

See how Dr. Griffin's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Griffin

Dr. Griffin accepts 9 insurance carriers

Dr. Griffin is now accepting new patients
Jordan-Young Institute5716 Cleveland St Ste 200
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
(757) 490-4802Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Griffin has admitting privileges.

Dr. Griffin's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Griffin to family and friends
Dr. Griffin's Performance
Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Griffin handled my surgery and recovery beautifully and I am back to full range of motion and activity. I had an extremely damaged shoulder that another doctor told me could be rehabbed with PT. I sought a 2nd opinion after several more dislocations and Dr. Griffin informed me that the shoulder would have to be repaired and after MRI he discovered the shoulder was damaged much more than we could have known. He informed me of options and walked us through every aspect of the surgery.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I came to Dr. Griffin as a second opinion for a knee injury. As a healthcare provider, I have high standards for my care and from the moment Dr. Griffin walked in the door, made eye contact, and shook my hand, I knew this would be different than the previous experience. Dr. Griffin listened to what my concerns were, answered my questions, and involved me in the decisions about my care. He is honest, genuine and I felt comfortable voicing concerns to him. I am 100% pleased.
in chesapeake va. |
Dr. Griffin was very honest with me and did not sugar coat anything. I had shoulder repair work done. Before surgery I had a lot of pain and some limited movements. It is a slow recovery but with the therapy I now have full range of motion. Very happy with my out come. The surgical technic he use on me was fantastic. All I was asking for was not to lose any more mobility. but he gave me back more than what I originally had.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Griffin is a very professional Doctor. He showed-up on time, listened to me, made clear explanations of my treatment options & explained why his recommended treatment option was the best one for my situation. (Post -treatment) : Without reservation, I highly recommend Dr. Griffin!!
San Francisco, CA |
Dr. Griffin is a fantastic surgeon. He repaired my torn meniscus. Dr. Griffin spends a lot of time explaining the issues at hand and is very kind with a wonderful bedside manner. I would recommend him without reservation.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Griffin and his team are undoubtedly one of the best in the area. I had an ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair, and throughout the entire ordeal this team made sure all of my questions were answered along with being available during off hours.If any issues did arise following the surgery, and subsequently throughout my recovery process, this team was only a call away. I truly attest that my quick recovery to was due the attentiveness and suggestions of Dr. Griffin throughout my post-op.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Griffin did a great job with my daughter. She is a year round swimmer and was suffering from shoulder and back pain. He was able to diagnose the issue quickly and she is now back in the pool pain free. Thank you Dr. Griffin.
in Virginia Beach, Va |
If you ever have any type of shoulder injury, Dr. Griffin is the man to see. I went to him as a second opinion doctor. I truly wish I was referred to him from the beginning. Very professional. Greets you with a hand shake. Great eye contact. He doesn't sugar coat anything or leave you guessing what the next step is going to be. This was my 1st visit, but I can already tell I am in good hands. Everyone in the office is nice as well. I would recommend him to anyone.
Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Griffin was great. He was straight forward and honest about my options, explained my injury, and answered all my questions about the procedure needed to repair it. He was also very descriptive and detailed during my post-op with my family. Plan to wait for a while in the exam room, but I attribute this to him spending time with his patients and thoroughly answering their questions and addressing their concerns. I would highly recommend Dr. Griffin.
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Griffin performed a total shoulder replacement for me in February. During my pre-operative appointment he explained the procedure in detail using models to illustrate it. He very patiently and thoroughly answered my lengthy list of questions. The surgery went very well with very manageable post-op pain. I am now 4 months post-op and played golf recently with absolutely no pain. He is a skilled surgeon and compassionate physician. I recommend him without reservation. Thanks Dr. Griffin!
in Chesapeake, VA |
I saw Dr Griffin In Feb 2017. I was diagnosed with a severely torn rotator cuff. Surgery was scheduled for March 13. Before the surgery Dr Griffin explained my problem and what his plan was to repair it. He explained what I could expect after surgery the Physical therapy that would follow. He did not paint a rosy or a dark picture. He gave me the facts and then answered all my questions to my complete satisfaction. In less than 3 mos I'm thru with therapy and doing great.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Had distal biceps repair surgery and 7 months later I'm back to 100%. Dr. Griffin is a gifted surgeon and explained the procedure and recovery in terms anyone can understand. I can recommend him without reservation.
in kitty hawk,nc |
Dr. Griffin addressed all of my concerns and took the time(non-office visit) to discuss my individual needs during recovery. He modified several aspects of the shoulder surgery to fit my future needs rather than take a standard approach. I could not be happier with the results and with his encouragement I will push my self even further.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
We couldn't have found a more competent, skilled, and expert Surgeon to perform a shoulder reverse-replacement procedure on my 81-year-old mother. His credentials, training, education, and experience are stellar-but more than that, he was kind and patient, treating my mom with respect and dignity. That, in itself, was more comforting to her than his surgical gifts. Mom is up and about, using her shoulders and arms again - 3 months after her surgery!
in Virginia Beach |
Dr. Griffin was amazing. His bedside manner is aces up. Explained in detail what was wrong with my knee and what he was going to do to correct it. Extremely caring and personable. His surgery was impeccable and my knee hasn't been this good since high school. Very highly recommended.
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Griffin was phenomenal! Extremely patient and helpful, and I walk with no pain! He seems to really connect with his patients personally, not just to care about the surgery. I appreciate that the first time I saw him, we decided not to rush into surgery. Many doctors would just be interested in the moneymaking fix. The only negative I have is the long wait to see him. I have spent 45 minutes to an hour in the exam room each time. Now that I know this, I just bring work to do! A
in Norfolk, VA |
So pleased to have Dr. Griffin repair my broken elbow on Sept 29, 2016. Dr. Griffin is the most approachable physician I have met and he always explained, in detail, every aspect of my surgery , recovery and rehab. In addition Dr. Griffin never acted rushed when working with me.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Had a minor fall that caused terrible knee pain. Called JYI and my appointment was with Dr. Griffin. And so glad it was. He was personable, patient, knowledgeable and thorough. He listened to me explain my fall and describe my pain. After xrays and examining my knee, by touching and moving it, Dr. Griffin miraculously relieved 85% of the discomfort. I went home with a knee brace, was instructed to ice it and to schedule PT for 2 weeks. All did the trick. Dr. Griffin is fantastic!
VIRGINIA BEACH |
Dr Griffin spent as much time with me as necessary to answer all my questions about options to address my shoulder pain. He suggested an anti-inflammatory injection and physical therapy which has worked so far. Dr Griffin is a very kind person and truly cares about listening to and understanding his patients.
in Edenton, NC |
Dr, Griffin operated on me 9/27/16 for rotator cuff surgery and bicep tendon repair. Dr. Griffin was totally professional and an excellent surgeon. I can honestly say that I only had one day of pain after my extensive surgery, which was the day after surgery when the block wore off. I'm 6 weeks after surgery and just got my sling removed and I am doing all Physical Therapy without any pain or discomfort. I totally recommend him to anyone and everyone that needs a shoulder repair.
Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Griffin is an awesome doctor. He is patient, caring and most of all kind. I wish there were more doctors like him.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Griffin explained the injury to my shoulder in layman's terms making sure I understood all the issues involved and options available. We decided together to try an steroid injection and physical therapy, hoping to avoid surgery, if possible. So far, our plan as worked! The pain in my shoulder has disappeared and I have total use of my arm again. This could be a temporary fix, and if I do have need surgery, I am totally confident that I have the best surgeon possible! Thank you Dr. G!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Griffin took time to review my diagnosis, show & discuss with me all the X-Rays taken. He explained treatment options & I was pleased that he recommended conservative treatment initially. Days later my knee pain increased & I was able to get in to see him within 24 hours of my call. I opted for a cortisone injection and he administered this with expertise, no pain, with thorough explanations of what to expect, & near immediate pain relief. Extremely courteous & professional. Thank you, Dr. G
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Griffin was very professional and knowledgeable. He understood my medical issues and provided options for treatment. He respected my treatment decision. The minor procedure he performed was almost painless. I would recommend Dr. Griffin to my family and friends. He represents The Jordan-Young Institute well. LaTonya
Have you seen Dr. Justin Griffin, MD?
Are you Dr. Griffin?

Compare Dr. Griffin

Dr. Griffin says...

Dr. Griffin's Care Philosophy

Dr. Justin Griffin is dedicated to the treatment of all patients regardless of how minor or complex the problem. An advocate for education, research and patient care, Dr. Griffin is dedicated to helping his patients no matter if they are a professional athlete, weekend warrior or simply have a desire to get back to activities to remain healthy and active. Dr. Griffin's team approach is first to provide the highest level of clinical care to maximize outcome and recovery. In addition, he feels patient education is critical to facilitate shared decision making to achieving the best possible outcome. Finally, Dr. Griffin and his clinical and office staff strive to provide a warm, welcoming, and supportive patient experience.

Dr. Griffin says...

Dr. Griffin specializes in shoulder as well as other sports related injuries. His training includes advanced experience in the most modern, arthroscopic minimally invasive reconstructive technologies. Academic medicine is a vital part of Dr. Griffin's practice as he remains at the forefront of research in arthroscopic shoulder techniques including rotator cuff repair, arthroscopic labral repair, shoulder stabilization, outcomes after shoulder replacement, knee ligament reconstruction, meniscus repair, and articular cartilage repair. In addition, Dr. Griffin specializes in reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, including total shoulder replacement, resurfacing, revision shoulder surgery and reverse shoulder replacement.

Dr. Griffin's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
  • Shoulder Instability
  • Shoulder Labral Tear
  • Shoulder Pain
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Torn Cartilage

Rush University Medical Center

Completed in 2016

James Madison University

Graduated in 2002

Dr. Griffin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Griffin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery