Dr. Judith Owens, MD

Sleep Medicine | Female

Dr. Judith Owens, MD
I am guided in my professional life by the idea of advocacy, for my own patients and for children in general. In particular, I am a champion for healthy school start times for all students. Conclusive, evidence-based research shows that better sleep means improved performance, higher executive functioning, fewer car accidents and improved overall health in kids. I am the author of the American Academy of Pediatrics 2014 policy statement on the importance of later school start times for teenagers and I advocate on the topic from Massachusetts to India. Sleep medicine didn't really exists as a field when I graduated from medical school in 1980. We were not trained to think that children had sleep problems. But as a young pediatrician, I kept seeing all these kids coming in with disordered sleep. I founded one of the country's first sleep clinics for children in 1993. The Sleep Center at Boston Children's Hospital was one of the first places to take the connection between sleep and health seriously. Now as the center's director, I am committed to expanding our multidisciplinary, evidence-based approach and reaching more families trying to get a good night's rest. I am also an expert in learning, attention and behavior in children, having directed programs in behavioral pediatrics over the past 20 years at Hasbro Children's Hospital and Brown Medical School in Providence, RI. The connection between ADHD and sleep is of particular interest in my practice. I completed medical school at Brown University, residency at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and fellowships in developmental and behavioral pediatrics, child psychiatry and psychiatry and human behavior. I hold a master's degree in maternal and child health from the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. I am the editor in chief of Behavioral Sleep Medicine, one of the sleep field's most respected publications. I am also on the governing council of the World Association of Sleep Medicine. In 2006 I was awarded the American Academy of Sleep Medicine's Excellence in Education Award, and in 2012, was honored to receive the AASM Mark O. Hatfield Public Policy and Advocacy Award.

Dr. Owens' Experience

See how Dr. Owens' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Owens

Dr. Owens accepts 1 insurance carrier

Dr. Owens is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Owens has admitting privileges.

Dr. Owens' Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
    Are you Dr. Owens?

Dr. Owens says...

I am the editor in chief of Behavioral Sleep Medicine, one of the sleep field's most respected publications. I am also on the governing council of the World Association of Sleep Medicine.  In 2006 I was awarded the American Academy of Sleep Medicine's Excellence in Education Award, and in 2012, was honored to receive the AASM Mark O. Hatfield Public Policy and Advocacy Award.

Dr. Owens' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Sleep Medicine
    •  Board certified in Pediatrics

Dr. Owens has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

Why It Matters: Dr. Owens' Board Certifications

Graduated in 1977

• Other Education
      University of Minnesota, Graduate School

Completed in 1986

Dr. Owens does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Owens and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sleep Medicine