Dr. Joshua D. Feder, MD

Dr. Joshua D. Feder, MD

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry | Male | 55 years old

My work is divided into clinical care, training and teaching, research and technology development, consultation and advocacy here and abroad. My clinical practice is somewhat restricted and referral based, typically providing consultation and treatment when people have already tried other providers, including insurance based providers. Most of the people and families I see require work beyond office visits, including, but not limited to, contact with patients, families, other providers, teachers and school staff, record reviews, documentation, treatment planning, written reports, and meetings at schools or at home. All the time I spend working for you is billed, and we should talk about the extent of work needed so that we have an idea of our goals and plans and timeframe for our work together.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Feder's Experience

See how Dr. Feder's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Feder

Dr. Feder's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Feder to family and friends
3.7
based on 6 total surveys (1 with a review)
Experience with Dr. Feder
Dr. Feder's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (6)
Dr. Feder Says:

While I hope that most reviews are good ones, I understand that people tend to review when they are dissatisfied. I am always happy to improve my practice and I welcome opportunities to do so.

in San Diego, CA |
I found Dr. Feder to be kind and caring. His expertise managing my medication has allowed me to live life.
Have you seen Dr. Joshua D. Feder, MD?
Are you Dr. Feder?

Compare Dr. Feder

Dr. Feder says...

Dr. Joshua Feder is a child and family psychiatrist with an active clinical practice in Solana Beach, seeing infants through adults and their families to address neuropsychiatric challenges. Dr. Feder is also a Senior Expert for the Early Years in Belfast, traveling to conflict and post conflict regions to support peace building through early childhood care.

In addition Dr. Feder is a voluntary professor in the Department of Psychiatry at UCSD School of Medicine researching blended developmental-behavioral interventions for young children with challenges in social communication. His related work includes serving as Medical Director at SymPlay, LLC developing interactive technology and distance learning systems to support relationship-based interventions as well as consulting for other technology companies.

Dr. Feder also works at local, state and national levels advocating for patient choice in Evidence Based Practice. He helped write the first American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) Practice Parameter for Assessment and Treatment of Autism and Related Disorders. He Co-Chaired the State of California South Counties Autism and Related Disorders Task Force and testifies in clinical and policy related related at the state and local levels.

From 2010-2014 Dr. Feder worked as Director of Research at the Interdisciplinary Council on Development and Learning Disorders Graduate School PhD program in Infant Mental Health and Developmental Disorders, teaching courses in critical assessment of research, statistical thinking, biological treatments, and fostering student research in developmental approaches. He continues this work at Fielding Graduate University as an Adjunct Professor, guiding research and teaching.

Dr. Feder is known as an engaging speaker and teacher in classes and conferences. Many of his lectures and blog posts can be found online at joshuafedermd and at circlestretch websites.

Dr. Feder's Care Philosophy

Dr. Feder says...

My work has developed over the course of many decades, from work at Boston University in brain theory, developmental disorders, and trauma, then 15 years in the US Navy seeing a variety of people at all ages, and since 1996 in San Diego, continuing to see wide range of people ages, doing therapy and providing medication when needed.

While about half my practice serves people with neurodevelopmental conditions, the other half has people with other conditions, usually people who have already seen several other doctors.  I consider my practice a tertiary outpatient practice. That means most people come to me because the usual outpatient providers, such as insurance based providers, do have the time or resources to do such things as make the calls, review records, and, when necessary, go to administrative meetings at schools and agencies.  Also, relatively few psychiatrists do therapy, and while I am happy to work in support of therapists I spend about a third of my time doing therapy.

Dr. Feder says...

In training programs we teach future psychiatrists, and particular child psychiatrists, to spend enough time with children and families, talk to the teachers, past doctors, and other therapists, review records of care and educational records, and to stay in touch with the school and other therapists during the course of care.  Sadly this is rarely possible as insurance does not cover such costs and many doctors are too busy to do this in any case.   I have devoted my career to upholding the principles of good care.  I find that when I do this I am more likely to figure out things that are helpful and better help a person and family or school to make progress toward a better life.

Dr. Feder says...

My practice is busy, and I have been lucky to enjoy a good reputation, but I am not able to see most people who call.  Moreover, current complexities of government programs make it too difficult for me to serve people whose sole insurance is MediCal, Medicare, or Tricare.

For those I do see, my work is often not reimbursed by insurance and the cost of care can be challenging.  Most people who voice concerns note the cost of care as the main concern.  I am always happy to discuss a bill or how my time is used.  While audits routinely find that I have underbilled clients by 10-20%, cost of care is still difficult for many families.  So if you have a concern, please contact me and I will do my best to resolve it with you.

Dr. Feder's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry and Psychiatry

Dr. Feder has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Feder's Board Certifications

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
  • Psychiatry

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Autism
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Boston University School Of Medicine

Tripler Army Medical Center

Completed in 1992

Boston University School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1982

Dr. Feder does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Feder and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry