Dr. Joshua Carothers, MD

Dr. Joshua Carothers, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Joshua Carothers, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Albuquerque, NM. He is 42 years old and has been practicing for 15 years. Read his story

201 Cedar St SE Ste 6600

Albuquerque, NM 87106

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Lovelace Health Plan
  • Molina Healthcare
  • Presbyterian Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Carothers

See how frequently Dr. Carothers performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Osteoarthritis of Knee
Osteoarthritis
Bone Disorders

Dr. Carothers's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Carothers' bio

This content was provided by Dr. Carothers "Dr. Joshua Carothers is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon whose practice focuses on total knee and hip replacements at the acclaimed New Mexico Center for Joint Replacement Surgery, one of the Centers of Excellence at New Mexico Orthopaedic Associates. Dr. Carothers hails from Cincinnati, Ohio and attended St. Xavier High School in Cincinnati. He attended Northwestern University in Evanston, IL , where he was the captain of the Men's Swimming Team. He received academic and athletic awards throughout his college years, including graduating with honors in Environmental Science. Dr. Carothers went on to receive his Medical Degree from the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 2002, where he graduated first in his class. He completed a five-year residency in orthopaedic surgery at Duke University Medical Center in 2007 and an adult reconstruction fellowship with Colorado Joint Replacement in Denver in 2008. He is an outdoor enthusiast and especially enjoys skiing, golfing and camping. He and his family are delighted to be calling Albuquerque home."

This content was provided by Dr. Carothers "Our mission is to improve the quality of life of our community by offering the highest-level orthopaedic care in New Mexico.  We recognize that every patient has a unique situation for which we provide exceptional care and treatment that is as individualized as they are.

We believe that the best orthopaedic care is obtained through the relationship and collaboration of patients, physicians, and staff."

• Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

• Bone Cancer
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Gout
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus

• Separated Femoral Epiphysis Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Tendon Repair
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for New Mexico.

• Northwestern Center Feinberg School Of Medicine
  • Duke University Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2007
  • Colorado Joint Replacement
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2008

Dr. Carothers has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Carothers does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Carothers and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Carothers' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Carothers to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Carothers' Performance
in Albuquerque, NM |
I had a total knee joint replacement on 8/24/2017 with Dr. Carothers as the surgeon. The entire process from making the initial consultation to the actual surgery and the followup visits were very smooth and with no problems. The surgery itself was excellent and produced professional and positive results. I am so thankful that I chose Dr. Carothers as my surgeon and every day is a blessing and has given me a new quality of life and a pain free day to day existence.
James, thanks for your praise and kind comments about our team. We're glad to hear we delivered such a great experience. If there's anything further we can do for you, we are happy to help!
in Albuquerque, NM |
A pleasant, caring pro - Dr. Carothers, in July 2017, did “Revision” total knee replacement surgery on me following complications from knee surgery done by another surgeon the previous year. The “Revision” surgery, required a complex procedure to replace the prior implant with another. Just three months after this revision surgery, my knee is stable and solid, enabling me to painlessly walk, climb stairs, and do activities I was not able to do even nine months after my initial surgery.
Hi T. Mccann, thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us at New Mexico Orthopaedics Thanks again for the recommendation, and have an amazing day! . We're happy we could meet your expectations!
in Albuquerque, NM |
Dr. Carothers is truly a master of his craft. Over the course of five years, he has replaced my right and left hips. Both times, I found his work to be impeccable. On two different occasions I overheard hospital nurses commenting on what an incredible surgeon he is. I have recommended him to others, and they were extremely satisfied as well.
Donna Fastle, thank you so much for the positive review! Thanks again for the recommendation, and have an amazing day!
in Santa Fe,NM |
Dr. Carothers performed my knee replacement 3 months ago. After the first week, my recovery was easier than I ever thought possible. The physical therapists were amazed at how well I was doing and asked who my surgeon was. They told me, "there are really good surgeons here, but Dr. Carothers has that extra something special." They see it in his patients and I believe it. I'm back swimming and adding kick sets back into my workout. All pain free.
Linda Jackson, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! If you have any further questions, please give us a call. We're always happy to help!
Albuquerque, NM |
Everyone in the office was very pleasant from start to finish!
Hi, thank you so much for the positive review! We are always more than happy to assist you if anything else comes up. Take care!
in Albuquerque NM |
After years of chronic knee pain (bone on bone) I was referred to Dr Carothers by a friend. Dr Carothers answered every question (I had lots) and I felt very comfortable and confident in him. The surgery went well and the recovery far exceeded my expectations. 5 months post surgery I rode in the Santa Fe Century (50 miles) and water skied Memorial weekend at the lake. All PAIN free! I highly recommend Dr Carothers and send my thanks to you and your team. My quality of life has greatly improved.
Charlie Love, we're so glad that we were able to go above and beyond your expectations! Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you; we are more than happy to help!
in Album., NM |
He is magnificent on all levels! He did both of my knee replacement surgeries many years a go and I'm 67 years old now and they're still holding up like brand new! No pain, no problem! Love this doctor! Now my husband is needing a knee replacement and he to will happily use Dr. Carothers! Use him with confidence!
in Los Alamos, NM |
Dr. Carothers was professional and informative. I found it extremely difficult to get a call back from Marisol to schedule a surgery date. After not hearing back from her, I spoke with other female staff member who was rude and told me that Marisol would call if and when she had time.
Marco Lucero, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional service, so we are disappointed to hear that your visit with us was anything less than satisfactory. We would like the opportunity to address your concerns. Please reach out to use directly at (505) 724-4300 when you have a chance. Thank you, and we look forward to hearing from you.
in Albuquerque, NM |
I had hip replacement performed by Dr Carothers on December 29, 2016. I thoroughly researched physicians who perform this surgery and none rated higher than Dr. Carothers. I am very pleased with the outcome of my surgery and highly recommend this surgeon.
Julia Marks, thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Joshua T. Carothers, MD. We appreciate the time you took to give us your recommendation and we will be sure to let Dr. Carothers know..
in Las Cruces, NM |
Excellent results from my total knee replacement a year ago (April 2016). I was very happy with my choice of practice and physician. Dr. Carothers specializes in knees and has seen it all; his sense of confidence helped to carry me through, although the surgery had added complications due to the degree of arthritic deformity in the knee. After the first two weeks, I was able to begin enjoying life again, and I only regretted that it took me so long to find Dr. Carothers. Great staff, too!
Connie, thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Joshua T. Carothers, MD. We strive to give the best patient experience and medical care possible.
in Albuquerque, NM |
Clear and concise communication from my first visit through surgery and follow up. All went as hoped for and Dr. Carothers' entire team performed flawlessly. Pain management and recovery were both significantly better than two previous joint replacements. Two months out and the knee is pain free. I'm back hiking, biking and can even knee.
in Albuquerque, NM |
Dr. Carothers made me feel totally comfortable in my decision to have my hip replacement done. I truly felt that he had a true concern for my well being. He had the experience and knowledge to perform a VERY successful surgery despite my having a below knee amputation. I have not felt this good since 1986. It truly has been the best decision I have made.
Have you seen Dr. Joshua Carothers, MD?

Visit Dr. Carothers

Dr. Carothers accepts 10 insurance carriers
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Lovelace Health Plan
    Molina
  • Presbyterian Health Plan
    Presbyterian Health Plan, Inc.

Hospitals where Dr. Carothers has admitting privileges