Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD

Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 63

Telehealth services available

Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in New York, NY and has over 37 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Bederson has more experience with Cranial Neurosurgery than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Univ Of Ca medical school in 1983. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Mount Sinai Hospital and Mount Sinai Beth Israel. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Bederson to book an appointment.

The Mount Sinai Hospital

More Neurosurgery Specialists at The Mount Sinai Hospital

Dr. Bederson's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Bederson

Dr. Bederson?
The horrible reality of a brain tumor sent me into stealth mode of learning about meningiomas and researching who would be the best person to give me a chance of surviving and as just as importantly, as my normal self. After 5 interviews with top guys in the field, I found The extraordinary Dr Bederson and PA Leslie Schlachter. These two wonderful people made me feel at ease and in in the right hands, from day one. I felt as if I was their only patient and they were my relatives! LESLIE is so knowledgeable and patient and will answer every question you have and hold your hand the entire way. The kind Dr Bederson is the only highly skilled and competent surgeon you will want digging in your head. He has done over 4000 of these operations, experience speaks. My entire experience was as easy and painless as it could be. I was home 2 days later and functioning very well. I am forever grateful to them and fortunate to have had the care of his entire team.
Roberta B in New York, NY – Oct 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Thanks to Dr Bederson and his team, I have a second chance at life. I feel so lucky to have met him and be under his care.
May 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Dr. Bederson is top class. He was able to remove the entire meningioma tumor from my skull and sinuses. As a result, my sense of taste and smell have been restored, and my vision is 20/20 with glasses. His staff, Leslie, Adrianne, Gena, and Rima are extremely helpful, hardworking, and courteous. They have always responded to my requests for assistance promptly, and they really take care of the patients. Happy New Year!
J. Khan – Jan 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
I can not express my gratitude enough for Dr.Bederson, his PA Leslie, Administrative assistant Adrian and staff. They are all truly amazing, caring and excellent providers. They made my surgery feel so much less stressful, and they truly care about their patients. After my surgery, I feel so well I feel like a different person, they have changed my life. I would highly recommend Dr.Bederson and his team to anyone looking for an excellent neurosurgeon.
Sarah in Carmel, NY – Nov 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
I am so very thankful that I found this doctor and his team. They were amazing from day 1. My surgery lasted about 7 hours and it could not have gone better. I was in the hospital for 3 nights and Dr. Bederson and his team were very attentive while I was in the hospital and after I was released. People were amazed at how well I was doing just a few short weeks after surgery.
POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – Nov 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
There are no words to express our gratitude. The best doctor with the best staff that can be. My Mom had an incidental discovery of a meningioma right next to the optic nerve. We met with Dr. Bederson and his assistant Dr. Schlachter and, cannot find enough words to praise their help, professionalism and, dedication from the first visit, to the monitoring, to the surgery until the post-operative follow ups. They are God-sent and a blessing to this society.
Irena H in Astoria, NY – Mar 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Bederson's for 10 years. He has performed three surgeries on me for a craniopharygioma brain tumor with a successful outcome each time. Dr. Bederson is very compassionate, a good listener honest and will tell you what needs to be done in a way that is understandable. I feel very fortunate to have Dr. Bderson as my surgeon. I travel from Washington, DC to New York to see him. HIs PA, Leslie is very good. She is very knowledeable and compassionate.
Angela in Washington, DC – Jan 31, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Dr. Bederson and his team are amazing! I was home the day after my meningioma surgery and returned to work in less than a month. Leslie Schlachter, Dr. Bederson's PA, was with me and my family every possible step on the way, always ready to help and taking care of everything. I can't imagine being in better hands during such a complex procedure, where the super-professionalism, unimaginably advanced technology, and highly personal and caring attitude - all came together.
Inna in NY – Aug 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Absolutely the BEST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD! After the consultation with this brilliant doctor I felt calm and confident that everything will be ok! The surgery went great! DR BEDERSON  and his team were able to remove the tumor and save my life. Beautiful Leslie Schlachter Senior PA was available 24/7 to answer any questions or provide a necessary support! Leslie helped to  arrange tests, schedule appointments, and handle the insurance procedures seamlessly. ?Thank you is not nearly enough....!!
Iryna in Magate City,NJ – Jul 27, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
I went to Dr. Bederson, who was recommended by my neurologist, even though he is out of network of my insurance because he was highly recommended. I spoke to a few people about if I should find an in network surgeon and they suggested that I should not skimp on quality to save some money. In the long run it would be better to get my surgery done right. So far so good.
Charles Cafferata in Corona, NY – Jun 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
As soon as I met Dr. Bederson and his PA Leslie, I knew I had made the right decision for my meningioma surgery. They calmed my nerves and explained everything that would happen. Dr. Bederson is easy to talk to and has a great bedside manner. Leslie is always available by phone or email—I wouldn't have gotten through this without her. I can’t say enough about these two & their team. They made one of the hardest experiences of my life a lot easier. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give them a 20!
Staten Island, NY – May 14, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
I can't say enough good things about Dr. Bederson and his Clinical Director, Leslie Schlachter who guided me through a worrisome situation with professionalism and caring well beyond anything I could have imagined. Extraordinary people doing extraordinary work!
Ron in Pine Bush, NY – Apr 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
1 month post-surgery, I am not experiencing any of my prior symptoms. I have returned to normal activities. I had been advised that the recovery could be quite painful. Whereas my experience may not be what everyone should expect, for me the pain was minimal to none. The entire staff, from Dr. Bederson’s office to the surgical team to the recovery and floor nurses and aides, were incredibly professional and caring. Their collective attention to my care made this experience considerably easier.
Apr 11, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Dr. Bederson is the best neurosurgeon. I highly recommend him to anyone in need of neurosurgery. I received top care and my whole experience at Mt. sinai was very good.
Robert in Rumson, NJ – Feb 22, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
He conducted my father's surgery after his stroke and while I have only spoken to him on the phone, he was very good at calming my nerves about the process, which is a true gift.
Julie Slater in New York, NY – Jan 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
You don't need my review to prove how great Dr Bederson and his are. These guys are fantastic, they are so thorough, from start, during and post surgery. I high recommend them. Leslie Schlachter, is with you every step of the way and is constantly making sure everything is okay and reassuring me that it would be okay. Couldn't ask for better care. Matt McCarthy
Matt McCarthy in Atlantic Highlands, NJ – Jan 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
I am so grateful to Dr. Joshua Bederson and Leslie Schlachter (Clinical Director and Senior Physician Assistant) for saving my life. The care I received from them and their whole team at Mt. Sinai was exceptional -- they are confident, skilled, kind, informative, and have been in constant contact with me from start to finish. Truly invaluable to me and lucky to have found them.
S. Eisenberg in Northport, NY – Jan 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Dr. Bederson and Leslie Schlachter, part of the neurosurgery team are incomparable. Dr. Bederson successfully removed a brain tumor from the rear of my skull this past November. Dr. B. Is a top notch surgeon with amazing skills and tremendous compassion. He is surrounded by a support staff that treats you like an important family member. The level of care I received at Mt Sinai was absolutely incredible. I would gladly recommend Dr. Bederson to any individual contemplating neurosurgery.
Robert Blum in New York, NY – Jan 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Dr. Bederson and his PA Leslie were incredible during by surgical journey. Finding out that you have a brain tumor is so scary but they were so calm and informative. The surgery went well and I have recovered so well and feel better then ever. THANK YOU FOR SAVING MY LIFE!
Happy to be alive in New York, NY – Jan 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?
Dr. Bederson and Leslie were amazing. I am now 1 month out of surgery and feeling great. After first meeting Dr. Bederson, he was confident he could help me with my headaches but didn't want to rush into surgery until I had exhausted the conservative route. After I tried 4 different medications with no success, I went back to Dr. Bederson and scheduled surgery. Throughout the entire process, Leslie was always available for questions and very quick to respond. She made me feel comfortable.
Rebecca R. in Astoria, NY – Oct 28, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Bederson?

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Joshua Bederson, MD...

Communicate via email?

Have free onsite parking?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Offer evening visits?

Offer an online patient portal?

Dr. Bederson accepts

Dr. Bederson accepts the following insurance:

Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
Oxford Liberty
Wellcare of Georgia

No malpractice claims found for New York

Cranial Neurosurgery

Cranial neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures that involve opening or passing through the skull to treat conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system.Compare with other Cranial Neurosurgery specialists.

Typically treats 68% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 3 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
high
high

Dr. Bederson performs Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy more than 82% of their peers

Dr. Bederson performs this procedure more than 82% of their peers

Brain Surgery

Dr. Bederson performs Brain Surgery more than 76% of their peers

Dr. Bederson performs this procedure more than 76% of their peers

Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal

Dr. Bederson performs Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal more than 48% of their peers

Dr. Bederson performs this procedure more than 48% of their peers

• Brain Tumor Surgery
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Repair
  • Intracranial Vessel Angioplasty and Stenting
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors

Univ Of Ca
Weill Cornell Medical College

• Italian

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Bederson communicate via email?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Bederson offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Bederson offer an online patient portal?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Bederson have free onsite parking?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Bederson offer weekend visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Bederson offer evening visits?

Please call the office to learn more. (212) 241-2377