Dr. Josephine McAllister, MD

Dermatology | Female

Dermatology Associates of Ithaca 2333 N Triphammer Rd Ste 203 Ithaca, NY 14850 Get Directions
Dr. Josephine McAllister, MD
Josephine C. McAllister, MD, FAAD is a Dermatologist, a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology (FAAD) and a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology (board-certified in Dermatology). Dr. McAllister received her undergraduate degree from Harvard University, graduating Magna cum Laude in Biology with a High Honors thesis describing research findings from her work in the Howard Hughes Medical Institute funded laboratory of Dr. Louis Kunkel at Boston Children's Hospital. She then earned her medical degree at the Stanford University School of Medicine, where she spent a year pursuing highly specialized wound healing research in the internationally renowned laboratory of Dr. Peter Marinkovich and also published her work on vitamin D deficiency in diet-restricted children with renowned Department Chair and Pediatric Dermatologist Dr. Alfred Lane. Dr. McAllister matched through the highly competitive National Residency Matching Program to an elite training spot at the Harvard Combined Dermatology Residency Program, where she worked closely with leaders in dermatology such as Dr. Harley Haynes, Dr. Arthur Sober, Dr. Samuel Moschella, American Academy of Dermatology President Dr. Suzanne Olbricht, Dr. Hensin Tsao, and Dr. Mathew Avram, as well as some of the most highly regarded dermatopathologists in the world including Dr. Martin Mihm, Dr. George Murphy, and Dr. Scott Granter, and practiced dermatology at the country's most prestigious hospitals, including Brigham and Women's Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Children's Hospital Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Lahey Clinic, and the Boston VA HealthCare System. Dr. McAllister is the founder of Dermatology Associates of Ithaca and is committed to providing excellence in dermatologic care to patients of all ages. She specializes in skin cancer prevention and treatment as well as in general dermatology conditions such as acne, rosacea, psoriasis, eczema and other inflammatory diseases of the skin, and warts. Outside of work, Dr. McAllister enjoys spending time with her family including her husband Liam P. McAllister who is a Professor of Physics at Cornell University and their young daughters, who love helping to water the plants in their garden and dancing to Hawaiian music.

Dr. McAllister's Care Philosophy

At Dermatology Associates of Ithaca, we use a team-based approach to detect and treat problematic skin conditions. As we often say, four eyes are better than two! Utilizing the talents of multiple people who are specialized in different aspects of dermatologic care helps patients to benefit from the strengths of each contributor to our team. Throughout the course of your treatment, your team members may include the physician, physician assistant, surgical physician assistant, medical assistant, and administrative assistant, each of whom works closely with one another to ensure a seamless and thorough approach to addressing your needs throughout the treatment course.

Dr. McAllister's Experience

See how Dr. McAllister's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. McAllister

Dr. McAllister accepts 15 insurance carriers

Dr. McAllister is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. McAllister has admitting privileges.

Dr. McAllister's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McAllister to family and friends
2.8
Dr. McAllister's Performance
Ithaca, NY |
While at Dr McAllisters office I was pleasantly surprised with the staff, they are both friendly and helpful. The appointment times are on time and very thorough. My 3 page hand out was full of information about my visit: things to watch and further skin care recommendations. While I was in my appointment Dr McAllister stepped into the room and asked about my children and reminded me the importance of not only protecting myself from the sun but my children also. I'm very happy with my experience
Ithaca, NY |
When scheduling an appointment be sure to ask if you will actually see the doctor. I naively assumed, as a returning patient with a history of pre-cancerous moles, that when I made an appointment at my family doctor's urging that I would be examined by Dr. McAllister herself. Instead, physician's assistant removed 2 moles for biopsy (total charge $1,100 including lab fees), and I never saw the doctor. In and out in 20 minutes , but I don't have a lot of confidence in the thoroughness of my exam.
Southlake |
Cannot stress enough how hard you should strive to avoid this practice and this doctor. One of the worst I've ever been to. She spends about 35 seconds with her patients and has her assistants do most of her work. She treated me very rudely and its clear she's just in it for the money. Stay away!
Ithaca, NY |
Dr. McAllister runs her office like a factory. You see her for two minutes and/or only see the PA. Every time I have an appointment she ends up doing a biopsy--even on a pre-existing skin condition that I pointed out to her and that clearly didn't need a biopsy. She took the practice over from an excellent dermatologist. What a the standards in this office have fallen so much. I won't be back.
in Ithaca, NY |
Outstanding doctor! When one has been diagnosed with melanoma, one needs the very best dermatologist. Joshephine McAllister is that doctor. Since her arrival in Ithaca, I have been Dr. McAllister’s patient. Her office is not only run very efficiently, but also the personnel are warm and generous with their time. Dr. McAllister’s educational background and training are excellent. She brings her depth of knowledge and her surgical expertise to her patients in a very calm, caring manner.
in Ithaca, NY |
Dr McAllister is a thorough and very professional dermatologist. She has a personal warmth that eases my "white coat" fears and I feel very secure in her care and her diagnostic ability. I have been to many dermatologists in many places I've lived and have yet to see one who does not employ PAs for the preliminary assessment. (The PAs in her office are also very thorough and professional.) I am so surprised to see anything unfavorable written regarding Dr McAllister, her care or her staff.
in Dryden, NY |
Dr. McAllister was very friendly and super efficient. She examined me for skin problems While her assistant was entering what the doctor found in the computer. They told me what was wrong and what was OK and took biopsies and was out of there with confidence that I'd been well taken care of. I would recommend Dr. McAllister to anyone in the area with skin concerns. Excellent care.
Ithaca, NY |
Dr. McAllister is one of the worst doctor's I have ever been to. She was very impersonal and most of the work done in her office is done by her assistants. She was not helpful, and in fact I felt disrespected by the way she treated me. Would not recommend. Avoid this practice.
in Ithaca, NY |
Dr. McAllister was very unpleasant. She did not listen to my needs and she appeared bothered by my questions. The staff at the office is very nice -- but I would not return.
Ithaca, NY |
I went into the office for the first time today. The office was running on-schedule. Dr. McAllister spoke with me about my concerns and did a quick body scan for any abnormal-seeming moles (this was not the purpose of my visit), in addition to checking out my skin condition. We then spoke about possible methods of treatment for the skin condition I've been suffering from for years. After that, she let me know that her PA would be coming in to speak with me. Overall, a very pleasant experience.
in Ithaca, NY |
She is a horrible physician. She charges patient or insurance co and has her PA see the patients! He has no experience at all! She also sent a bill for sending my medical records to another doctor! I have wasted my time getting incorrect medication for six months!! She knows its not legal to charge money for medical records when sending them to another physician! Nothing but a scam!! I guess she is banking up the money to pay for her medical school bills!
Ithaca, NY |
I went for an annual skin check for the first time with Dr. McAllister and it turned into a nightmare. My appt was with her and she had her male PA come in to do my initial mole check without my knowledge or approval (I am a female). B/t the two of them they marked 7 spots with an 8 to be surgically removed. This was overkill for my first appt and I am wondering if they were trying to drive up my bill to insurance. Now I have seven scars and after four weeks of waiting the results were benign
Have you seen Dr. Josephine McAllister, MD?
Are you Dr. McAllister?

Compare Dr. McAllister

Dr. McAllister's Care Philosophy

At Dermatology Associates of Ithaca, we use a team-based approach to detect and treat problematic skin conditions.  As we often say, four eyes are better than two!  Utilizing the talents of multiple people who are specialized in different aspects of dermatologic care helps patients to benefit from the strengths of each contributor to our team.  Throughout the course of your treatment, your team members may include the physician, physician assistant, surgical physician assistant, medical assistant, and administrative assistant, each of whom works closely with one another to ensure a seamless and thorough approach to addressing your needs throughout the treatment course.

Dr. McAllister says...

At Dermatology Associates of Ithaca, we provide innovative, high quality care in skin cancer prevention, medical dermatology, skin cancer treatment, skin surgery, and cosmetic dermatology. ??We take pride in creating a caring atmosphere where we can help patients in Ithaca and beyond to attain healthy and beautiful skin.

Dr. McAllister says...

At Dermatology Associates of Ithaca, our team has decades of experience in detecting and treating skin cancer, particularly basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. We offer a number of different treatments, including surgical excisions, electrodessication and curettage, and other treatments, tailored to the type of skin cancer, the location on the body, and other variables depending on the individual patient's needs.

Our office expertly performs treatments for a number of skin conditions, including liquid nitrogen for precancerous lesions and warts; injections for acne, rashes and hair loss; and light therapy for psoriasis.

We offer cosmetic dermatology services including chemical peels, Botox® injections, and Juvederm® Ultra Plus XC fillers to our patients in Ithaca and the surrounding areas. These procedures are designed to maximize cosmetic outcome with minimal downtime and risk, and are generally not covered by insurance.

Dr. McAllister's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Dermatology
  •  Board certified in Dermatology

Dr. McAllister has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for New York.

Why It Matters: Dr. McAllister's Board Certifications

• Jock Itch
  • Lipomas
  • Lyme Disease
  • Melanoma
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Pemphigoid

Harvard Medical School

Completed in 2009

Harvard

Graduated in 2000

Dr. McAllister does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McAllister and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Dermatology