Dr. Joseph Ward, MD

Dr. Ward
Telehealth services available

Orthopedic Specialists Oakland

44038 Woodward Ave Ste 200 Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

Dr. Joseph Ward, MD is a Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Bloomfield Hills, MI. Dr. Ward has more experience with Hip/Pelvic Bones than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with Saint Joseph Mercy Oakland. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Ward to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Michigan

Frequently Treated by Dr. Ward

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Ward treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Ward treats other conditions, please contact the office at (248) 335-2977.

Hip/Pelvic Bones

Hip surgery includes arthroscopy, fracture repair, resurfacing, and replacment to treat conditions affecting the hip, such as arthritis, dysplasia, and injuries.Compare with other Hip/Pelvic Bones specialists.

Dr. Ward typically treats 76% more often than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 4 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Hip Fracture
Osteoarthritis of Hip
Hip Replacement
Enthesopathy of Hip (incl. Trochanteric Bursitis)
Normal Frequency

• Clavicle Fracture
  • Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Femur or Knee
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Gout
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures
  • Tibia or Fibula Stress Fracture
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Dr. Ward accepts

Dr. Ward accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Priority PPO

Dr. Ward's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Ward

Dr. Ward?
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (20)
  • Explained conditions well (20)
  • Listened & answered questions (20)
  • Appointment was rushed (1)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (1)
Dr Ward performed hip replacement surgery on me Oct 17, 2020, I had my 3 month check up yesterday and all is a okay. I have been cleared for back to normal activities. Dr Ward, his staff and everyone at St Joe's have been fabulous. Care, concern, education and follow up could not have been better.
Kevin Downey – Jan 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
I had a total knee replacement done by Dr. Ward. I was young for a knee replacement (52) but surgery was a necessary last resort. Dr. Ward did not rush me into the surgery but allowed me to explore all other options first. He always presented the facts in a straightforward manner and allowed me to make the final decision of having surgery. The surgery went well and my recovery is ahead of schedule. Dr. Ward is honest, professional, and very thorough. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.
Tim S – Sep 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
After enduring hip pain for more than a year it became necessary to undergo hip replacement. As a retired nurse & active grandmother it was important to me to find a skilled orthopedic surgeon I could trust to restore maximum mobility. Dr. Joe Ward was highly recommended by several good friends. The rest is history. COVID complicated the scheduling & hospital stay but I was so impressed with how Dr. Ward & staff worked through it with such professionalism & compassion. It was a source of comfort to have procedures explained thoroughly & all questions answered. The end results are awesome! I’ve resumed an active life & am very grateful for the skilled care received!
Carol Champion – Aug 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
I recently had a complete knee replacement performed by Joseph P Ward , md . Right from the beginning his aplomb was reassuring and put me at ease. He explained every question I had in detail. His advice on what to expect and do during recovery was spot on. I was up and walking right away with feelings of alacrity abound. I was very impressed with the results immediately after surgery and would recommend Dr Ward to anyone who wants a surgeon with unquestionable surgical skills.
Rodger – Jul 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Great Dr. I see him for my old knee's. I get Gel-One shots in both knee's 2 times a year. Zero pain getting the shots also takes his time with you & listens to you. I drive an hour 1 way to see him well worth it.
Gpod – Jun 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Doctor Ward is very good knows his stuff. No doubt Blessed by the Holy Spirit. Very good visit. Good Support staff...
J. R. Wiechec – Jun 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
This isn't my first experience with the "Orthopedic Surgeons of Oakland County" (OSOC) group! I drove from New Baltimore MI to Bloomfield Hills. Yes it was a long way, 32 Miles one way, but, the doctors at OSOC were worth the drive. My wife and I have seen several Ortho's on the east side, but we just couldn't tolerate their arrogance and smug attitudes, along with NO PERSONALITY! These wonderful Doctors ACTUALLY have a personality. Dr. Ward is a kind, caring man who will spend as much time with you as he has to, to make sure you understand what he will be doing in the OR. Never was he arrogant, or smug, rude or condescending during or after my surgeries. When Dr. Ward replaced my first knee, I recovered and finished my PT in 6 weeks after my surgery! I as bending my right knee at 127 degrees. Four months later I had my second knee surgery, and 7 weeks after that surgery, I was finished with PT and was bending my left knee at 130 degrees. I can't thank Dr. Ward enough for his talented
Paul M. Kozicki – Mar 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
I am writing this one year following a total hip replacement don by Dr. Ward. It was a 100% positive experience! His preparation for my surgery was very thorough. The surgery itself went very well, and his guidance throughout my recovery was spot on! I highly recommend this very skilled and capable surgeon!
John Fournier – Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
I recently had total hip replacement surgery by Dr. Joseph P. Ward and I could not be happier with the results. Dr. Ward came highly recommended and he has superb academic credentials, orthopedic surgical training and extensive experience with hip procedures. On my first appointment with Dr. Ward, it was immediately clear that he and his staff are very attentive and patient-centered. He carefully reviewed my x-rays with me and explained the problems with my hip, and then made recommendations for treatment. Preparation for my surgery was detailed and I was always aware of all important steps both before and after the procedure. Dr. Ward checked me carefully after surgery and on the following day, just before I was discharged from the hospital. My follow up visits to his office have likewise been excellent. Dr. Ward always takes as much time as needed to answer my questions and I very much appreciate his unhurried approach. I was experiencing considerable pain in my hip prior to surgery.
Donald Kuhn – Nov 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Dr. "Joe" Ward is the reason I had my full knee replacement. I had been seen prior by an orthopedic surgeon and left feeling very disconnected from the doctor. I met Dr. Joe after he performed a hip replacement surgery on my friend. His warm gretting and thorough explanation of the surgery was so impressive as I was only a friend not a family member. I was so impressed by him I would make an appt. to have him look at my knees. Everything from my first appt. went as smoothly as a well oiled machine. Others have commented on Dr. Joe's friendliness and I'll add unpretensious demeanor is a true quality and gift. He cares about each of his patients well being before and during the after care of their surgery. I am so appreciative of how he individualized my recovery. I believe he's the best kept secret in Oakland County.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Diane Melton – Nov 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
From start to finish, I have never experienced a doctor who cared for me like a family member, as he did. He was thorough and sincere about what happens in a knee replacement and the recovery. He was honest about what it takes to have successful surgery, but even more emphatic about the tough work involved in the recovery period to get and keep knee mobility. I follow his directions and it has proved to be right on target. It was not easy or pain free, but it was surely successful. After one year, this knee has no pain, I have more flexibility then I had with the old knee. I have returned to my normal activities. As with everything else, Dr. Ward communicated to me about taking care of the knee and about taking antibiotics when going to the dentist or other invasive procedures. I would highly recommend Dr. Ward to anyone. I can't say enough about him as a person and as a highly skilled surgeon. Wow!
Craig Artist – Jul 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
After my first appointment with Dr. Ward it felt like he was a longtime friend of mine. He makes you feel welcome and treats you as a peer. He thoroughly explains everything in detail and in layman's terms so that you can make a knowledgeable decision. His bedside manner at the hospital is superior to most doctors I have encountered. During follow-up appointments he constantly praises and encourages you and lets you know exactly how you are doing in your recovery process. I would highly recommend Dr. Joe Ward to my friends and family.
Michael Rebold – Jul 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Dr Ward is a careful listener, an excellent practitioner and takes time with his patients to understand their issues. He answered every one of my questions honestly and without hesitation. I recommend him highly.
Mary Kale in Bloomfield Hills, MI – Jun 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Excellent !!!! OSOC is the place to go for all your Orthopedic problems .
Ron Johnson in Pontiac , MI – Jun 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Dr. Joseph Ward performed reconstruction of my left knee in May, 2018. I found him to be knowledgeable, professional, punctual, respectful and patient-centered. He takes time to listen to and answer patient concerns and questions. He reviews and explains diagnosis, procedures and details x-ray results. Spouses/significant others are encouraged to attend preliminary and follow-up appointments. His office staff, especially Jennie, are pleasant, helpful and caring. Dr. Ward's office is conveniently located in the building by taking the lobby elevator directly to the waiting room. After earning a Bachelor's degree at Columbia University, an M.D. from Loyola Stritch School of Medicine and completing his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Michigan, where he served as administrative chief resident, Dr. Ward completed the prestigious Otto E. Aufranc fellowship in Adult Reconstructive Surgery at New England Baptist Hospital, Boston to refine his skills in the field of hip&knee
May 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Dr. Joseph Ward replaced my left knee last July 2018. Before my surgery, I was in constant pain even at night. Since my knee replacement I am doing great. No more pain and I just had my checkup and all is well. I would highly recommend Dr. Joe. Wonderful doctor.
May 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Right from the first time my wife and I met Dr. Ward I felt very comfortable with him. He explained everything to both of us and let us both know that the procedure could be a little difficult. I worked at getting my knee and muscles around my knee in shape for the surgery. I would definitely recommend Dr. Ward to anyone who is considering knee replacement surgery. Excellent aftercare as well.
May 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Dr. Joseph Ward performed an right total knee replacement on me February 20 2019. I am so pleased with the outcome. I had been having problems with my knees for years. I was reluctant to have the surgery at first. When I went to Dr. Ward he really explained the process. My surgery and recovery was text book. The process went so smoothly. I am so glad I had it done. Dr. Ward and Jenni in his office are amazing. Cassandra Micou
Apr 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
My 96 year old mother was assigned Dr. Joseph Ward as a result of a fall and ER visit to St. Joseph. She had a fractured hip. She/we hit the jackpot! Dr. Ward is caring and compassionate and a skilled orthopedic surgeon. We would recommend him very highly. His office staff is very pleasant and friendly and the office is run efficiently and on-time. All in all, we are very pleased.
Apr 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?
Dr. Ward is a very caring person who actually cares about my needs and my pain level and he does a very good job listening to my pain issues and treats me in the best way he can to take the pain away or minimize it . He's very friendly easy to talk to and very good at explaining my options so I can understand them . I would highly recommend Dr. Joseph Ward to anyone suffering with pain because he has helped me tremendously ! He did surgery and it truly helped and now I occasionally need pain in
Apr 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Ward, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Ward?

I find tremendous joy in helping patient with arthritis regain their mobility!  I strive to provide compassionate and personalized care to all of my patients.

I love working towards the goal of getting patients back to being active.  The most rewarding aspect is seeing my post-operative patients back in...Read more

• Reconstructive Orthopedic Surgery