Dr. Joseph Smucker, MD

Dr. Joseph Smucker, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Joseph Smucker, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Carmel, IN. He is 44 years old and has been practicing for 18 years. Read his story

13225 N Meridian St

• American Republic
  • Golden Rule
  • Principal Life

Learn about Dr. Smucker

See how frequently Dr. Smucker performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Low Back Pain
Back Pain

Dr. Smucker's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Smucker's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Smucker "I am a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopaedic spine surgeon. For me, the practice of medicine is a combination of patient care, teaching, and research. I began my practice at the University of Iowa in 2005 - a tertiary care, level-one trauma setting. I moved my practice to Indiana Spine Group in 2014. I have a strong interest in research and have published a number of manuscripts and presented my findings at national and international meetings. My patients are the most rewarding part of my practice and I greatly enjoy my interactions with them. I was privileged to train at many of the top spine surgery and orthopaedic surgery programs and have translated those experiences into my clinical practice and my research endeavors over the years. The practice of spine surgery is not only an opportunity to help patients, but is also a life-long learning opportunity for physicians. My personal learning opportunities have allowed me to incorporate novel new technologies into my spine surgery practice. My special interests include computer-assisted spinal navigation, cervical spine disorders, and cervical disc arthroplasty (replacement). My team at Indiana Spine Group has helped me create a patient-friendly environment that emphasizes outstanding patient care and communication. Teaching has been an important aspect of my career over the years. Teaching comes in many forms and for me has included teaching of: patients, my staff, medical students, orthopaedic surgery residents, spine surgery fellows, and masters/PhD candidates. It has been my experience that some of my best research projects have come from great questions asked of me by patients and my students. I've been taught far more by others in these interactions than I am currently able teach."

This content was provided by Dr. Smucker "The most important aspect of patient care is communication.  In an age of e-mail, the internet, and electronic health records, the most beneficial form of communication with patients remains face-to-face verbal interaction.  I enjoy spending time with patients and discussing their decision-making process in the course of our clinical interactions.  In most circumstances, patient questions help to drive our discussions over time and can play an important role in complex decision making processes.

If possible, it is my goal to return patients to function and to preserve function over time.  Not all patients who see a surgeon will require a surgery, and many may be successfully managed without a surgical intervention.  My partners and practice setting at Indiana Spine Group allow me to maximize the options that are available to patients with spinal conditions.  When spine surgery is recommended, it is wonderful to have an environment that allows for a patient-focused care setting both in my office and in the hospitals where I practice.

I believe that my patients deserve the ability to spend quality time with their care providers.  Compassion and respect play a huge role in this interaction over time.  Spine and nerve disorders involve complex healing processes.  While not all patients will have a condition that I may successfully treat, the interaction regarding options and patient outcomes is still important.  My team at Indiana Spine Group shares this philosophy and helps me create a positive environment for patients, our team, and our referring physicians."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Heel Spur
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot
  • Torticollis

• Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Cervical Disc Replacement
  • Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Computer-Assisted Surgery (CAS)
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoplasty
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Synovial Biopsy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Indiana.

• Goshen College
  • Case Western Reserve University School Of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2004
  • Emory University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005

Dr. Smucker has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Smucker does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Smucker and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Smucker's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Smucker to family and friends
3.6
Dr. Smucker Says:

As physicians we all strive to provide excellent service.  I value feedback from my patients and am thankful for the time that patients take to help me understand how I may serve them better.

Dr. Smucker's Performance
Martinsville |
Do NOT waste your time or money! I have suffered chronic neck and back pain for over 20 years! I have had numerous injections, physical therapy, etc. Nothing received my pain. I heard Dr Smucker was great and I was so excited to meet him. Needless to say he made me feel like a loser. He did not even look.at my MRI's I brought not look at my spine. My neck is visually swollen and he didn't even look.at it! He questioned me as to why I ever had injections!!!! I cried because he did not help!!!!
Westfield, IN |
I had back surgery 16 days ago. I could write a book about the programs I experienced trying to limit my pain over the last 20 years. Physical therapy, injections, message therapy and chiropractic corrections. All were tried several times each. The last few months the pain has been unbearable. Dr. Smucker is very kind and humble. My wife as an ICU nurse of over 25 years says he has a great reputation. I am a new man after my surgery. I am truly grateful for what he has done for me.
in Indianapolis, IN |
He would not take time to read current MRI or reports, would NOT read anything current. Requested that he more then once read; but he was adamant watching his time only. All info he gave about past surgeries, current condition all wrong and based on report years older. He messed so much up we had to go to get all operative notes from all surgeries to get his data corrected that he added to file. Worst doctor ever looking out for $ only not to help. Appts. quick because has so few patients.
in De Witt, IA |
Dad, Bud, was a patient of Dr. Smuckers at the U.IA. Hosp. & Clinics I had the privledge to witness some of the best bedside manner I have ever seen. (Sadly, it doesn't happen often esp. w/ the elderly, people in pain, or cognitive decline.) He was always genuinely concerned, friendly, professional while being down to earth, honest w/ his opinions as to what steps, what to expect, if procedures were possible. Always talked & treated dad & family w/ respect & kindness. Thanks for your compassion!
Have you seen Dr. Joseph Smucker, MD?
Are you Dr. Smucker?