Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD

RheumatologyMaleAge 51

Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD is a Rheumatology Specialist in Durham, NC and has over 25 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Shanahan has more experience with Osteoporosis & Screening, Arthritis & Arthropathy, and Autoimmune Diseases than other specialists in his area. He graduated from UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School medical school in 1997. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Duke Health Raleigh Hospital and Rex Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Shanahan to book an appointment.

Shanahan Rheumatology & Immunotherapy

Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Frequently Treated by Dr. Shanahan

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Shanahan treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Shanahan treats other conditions, please contact the office at (919) 405-2040.

Osteoporosis & Screening

Osteoporosis specialists diagnose and treat conditions characterized by low bone density and bone weakness, such as osteoporosis and osteopenia.Compare with other Osteoporosis & Screening specialists.

Dr. Shanahan is experienced in the area of Osteoporosis & Screening. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 2 conditions and procedures

Osteoporosis
Osteopenia
Osteoporosis Screening

Arthritis & Arthropathy

Arthritis and arthropathy specialists diagnose and treat diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, and ankylosing spondylitis that damage joints, causing pain, stiffness and swelling.Compare with other Arthritis & Arthropathy specialists.

Dr. Shanahan is experienced in the area of Arthritis & Arthropathy. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 23 conditions and procedures

Arthritis
Ankylosing Spondylitis
Psoriatic Arthritis
Rheumatoid Arthritis

Autoimmune Diseases

Autoimmune disease specialists diagnose and treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and celiac disease in which the immune system attacks healthy cells.Compare with other Autoimmune Diseases specialists.

Dr. Shanahan is experienced in the area of Autoimmune Diseases. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 16 conditions and procedures

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Amyloidosis
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
  • Arthritis of the Neck
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Dermatomyositis
  • Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) Scan
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Familial Mediterranean Fever
  • Fever
  • Goodpasture's Disease
  • Gout
  • Hammer Toe
  • Henoch–Schönlein Purpura (HSP)
  • Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)
  • Joint Fluid Test
  • Juvenile Chronic Arthritis
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Osteoarthritis of Hands
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
  • Osteoporosis Screening
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR)
  • Polymyositis
  • Psoriatic Arthritis
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Quantitative Sensory Test (QST)
  • Raynaud's Disease
  • Reiter's Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis)
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wegener's Granulomatosis

Dr. Shanahan accepts

(919) 405-2040

Dr. Shanahan accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

Dr. Shanahan's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Shanahan

3.6

Dr. Shanahan

No visit. Even though it says “accepting new patients”, you have to jump through hoops to get in. Receptionist seemed thrown by the fact she had to look up the name of patient who referred me, because I didn’t k is her birth date. Won’t call back.
Dec 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Shanahan by a trusted friend. He was dismissive, condescending and did not follow through with anything he said he would. Don’t waste your time.
Apr 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I found him and his PA dismissive and prejudicial. More than three months after initially contacting them and 2 months after the start of some very poor care I am finally getting treatment elsewhere.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
Feb 26, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
In over 40 years of treatment, countless doctors failed to relieve my suffering and get my autoimmune issues under control. I was frustrated and at times angry. Those doctors were either poorly trained, had a terrible bedside manner, or simply didn’t listen to me. I suffered, I think, needlessly. It was only when my pulmonologist intervened and recommended Dr. Shanahan to me that I finally found the relief I desperately needed. From my first visit Dr. Shanahan’s staff genuinely friendly and, even better, highly competent. The camaraderie in his office is infectious and quickly puts me at ease. It is so obvious that Dr. Shanahan truly cares about his patients. He asks lots of insightful questions and listens – really listens – to what I tell him. In over two years now, he has never once cut me off mid-sentence. Happily, within months of that first visit, I felt like a kid again. My pain was under control, and I had energy to burn. He. Is. The. Best!!!!!
Sharon McKelvey – Dec 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Shanahan's since his day's at Duke. I credit him for working to find the best treatment to control my Lupus and address the other medical issues I have. His honest and ernest devotion to his field of study and the care he has for his patients rate him at the top of the field in my book. He has been a true life changer for me, and I will continue to travel to seek his medical advice.
Cathy Hall – May 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
go I saw 6 Rheumatologists before mtg DR. S! The one I saw in 2001 said I had 3-5 years to live. He said sorry those were the cards I had been dealt. The one I saw in 2007 was too overwhelmed by my case and sent me to Duke & that's were my life changed for the better, when I first met Dr. Joseph Shanahan When you have autoimmune diseases there are constant "battles" that you go through. Whatever adversity you face ILD, Scleroderma, Lupus, RA, You should trust Dr. J .Shanahan & his staff. Doc is Brilliant. I trust his knowledge as a rheumatologist/specialist. He is willing to go the extra mile to help his patients. He office is equipped with an infusion room, a research lab and a phlebotomist to check your blood work. His staff is fantastic! They help deal with the insurance companies and make sure your visit is fabulous. Sickness can be overwhelming & scary however Dr.Shanahan & his staff are able to bring comfort, love, & peace. Seeing how I spend so much time there I realize they are
Feb 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
Love, love, love Dr. Shanahan! He has been my Rheumatologist for about 6 years treating me for Lupus. I love that he is so knowledgeable about Auto-Immune diseases and that he actually takes the time to listen to his patients which is extremely important. I've had nothing but positive experiences with his practice. I brag on him to other Lupus patients every chance I get. Highly recommended for those seeking a good Rheumatologist.
Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I've had RA for over 30 years and Dr Shanahan is by far the best Rheumatologist I have ever seen in the Triangle. He very smart, spends time with his patients, he's thorough and best of all, he has a great personality and manner. If you need a recommendation for surgery or to another specialist he knows where to direct you. His new office in Durham is very nice. The area for IV infusions is spacious and attractive. I have recommended him to many people who have said the same thing.
Debi in Raleigh, NC – Feb 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I truly do not understand why me & my wife were treated disrespectfully. I would hope it's not because we are LGBT, because surely this dr is NOT as dumb & arrogant as he portrayed himself. I have Fibro, Spondylitis, Osteo, and Lymphadema. I took the time to bring him my records. He wouldn't listen, blew us off, told me there's nothing wrong w/ me, my Sx will go away on their own by age 50, and that he knows what he's talking about cause of his numerous conferences & knowledge. Dumbfounded!
A. Williams in Raleigh, NC – Sep 11, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
My initial office visit was outstanding. Dr. Shanahan has a very broad and comprehensive knowledge base, stronger than other providers in this specialty I have spoken with. He has a new and spacious office with ease access. The staff seemed especially efficient. Wait time was minimal. Overall, the entire experience as a new patient at his office was outstanding. I am confident he has the background needed to best guide my care and thankful another area physician referred me to him.
M.T. Scott in NC, NC – Aug 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I can't fathom how they run their practice. I was a patient for 3 years, THEY moved their practice & it made for a longer drive so I started looking into other options. I had to get my records sent so I could try to get an appt at a place closer to me. I explained I was not that was switching but weighing my options bc they other practice wouldn't talk to me with the records. When i called Shanahan back to schedule an appt & get refills they told me i was no longer a patient. I am dumbfounded!
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Tara in raleigh, NC – Aug 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
Was dismissed from the practice after 5 years of being a patient due to owing $30.00. The kicker is that I called the office more than once to attempt to pay the bill, but they charged an expired credit card instead of the updated one that I gave them.
Apr 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I saw 6 Rheumatologists before mtg DR. S! I saw one in 2001 who gave 5 years to live, said those were the cards I'd been dealt. I saw one in 2007 who was overwhelmed by my case & sent me to Dr. S where life changed for the better. Whatever adversity you face ILD, Scleroderma, Lupus, RA, You should trust Dr. S & his staff. Doc is Brilliant. I trust him as a rheumatologist & as a friend. His staff goes the extra mile with every patient & he puts his patients first! He gave me a better life!!
Raleigh, NC – Sep 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I love being seen under Dr Shanahan. Right now I pay out of pocket to see him because I don't want to change doctors. I don't have the money really to do this but his office works with me to help cut down cost on his visits. (For example- what blood work needs to be done before his visits).
April H in Raleigh, NC – May 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I saw Dr. Shanahan for several years and felt great under his care. He is very smart and rigorous. I had some issues communicating with him through his staff, but this is fairly common. People drive several hours to see Dr. Shanahan, an he is worth it.
Mar 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I have been with Dr. Shanahan since he opened his practice, and he is at the top of my favorite doctors list. He is compassionate and caring, and never rushes through an appointment, taking whatever time I need to discuss any issues or questions. He takes a partnership approach, engaging me in decisions around my care. I can't say enough about good about him.....he's truly top notch!
Pam W. in Raleigh, NC – Jan 27, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I've referred him already to two of my friends with immunological disorders. I KNOW that if I didn't find him when I did, I wouldn't be in the shape I am in today. I have had lupus for 12 yrs and RA for two; along with a plethora of other tag-a-longs (raynauds, sjogrens, etc).
CR in Raleigh, NC – Feb 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
I firmly believe that if I hadn't found Dr Shanahan 5 years ago, my health would be in a crisis state to this day. He is a compassionate provider, and is very thorough in his treatment and assessments. When I have had flare ups, his office staff has been receptive and helpful through the advice line. I have even known Shanahan to provide his cell number to patients with ongoing difficulties. I hope that I never have to move away from this area and this fabulous doctor.
ShnnUVA in Apex, NC – Jan 12, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?
Ilove Dr. Sanahan and his staff. I believe if it wasn't for him i wouldn't be here today. I would Recommend Anybody to his office. Love u guys :)
latosha Hendricks in apex, nc – Dec 30, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Shanahan, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shanahan?
Provider explaining information to patient