Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD

Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD

Endocrinology, Diabetes & MetabolismMale

Telehealth services available

Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD is a Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Specialist in Summerville, SC. Dr. Mathews has more experience with Osteoporosis & Screening, Thyroid Disorders, and Diabetes & Glucose Monitoring than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Trident Medical Center and Trident Health System - Summerville Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Mathews to book an appointment.

Palmetto Primary Care and Specialty Physicians

Palmetto Primary Care and Specialty Physicians1101 Old Trolley Rd Ste 300 Summerville, SC 29485

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Mathews is affiliated with Trident Medical Center Charleston, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital Critical Care Excellence Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Mathews' Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Mathews

4.5

Dr. Mathews

Definitely the worst doctor's office experience I have ever had. If you want to be treated with respect, care, and dignity then stay far away. Definitely stay away if you don't want to be nickel-and-dimed. I have told multiple people at this office that the standard of care I have been receiving is horrible and not a single person could bring themselves to even pretend like they cared in any way whatsoever. These people should all be ashamed of themselves. I do not understand other patients who are describing Matthews as empathetic. I found him to be cold, greedy, and unethical. My other doctors will call me up personally or send me an email to see how I am doing, I can't even get this guy to return repeated phone calls after a brain tumor diagnosis. If he is too busy to treat his patients well then he needs to stop taking new patients.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
May 29, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
No words can describe how caring and loving Dr. Matthews, his physician assistant and staff are. He has diligently for a number of years worked to keep my thyroid, sugar and osteoporosis in control/balance. For a senior citizen 65 who loves life, I say he is a priceless fabulous young doctor i pray I can have for many years. I feel he is great with geriatrics needs too.. a goooood person who truly listens and has your best interest at heart.
Shirley Bowen – Jun 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews, and his staff, did a great job. They were very professional and nice. He is super knowledgeable and this is why I have traveled so far to see him. Totally worth it.
Jan 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Very friendly and helpful staff, Dr. Mathews is great! He seems confident, and has a pleasant rapport with his patients.
Terry Goans in North Charleston, SC – Jun 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I had my insulin pump have a critical error this past Friday. No problem, called Medtronic and got one delivered the next day by noon. Awesome. Called Dr. Matthews office trying to get my insulin pump settings. Thankfully they had the information and provided it to me … awesome … so far. I'm no doctor and I don't know if I've programmed it right. A lot of the settings were in medical jargon. The nurse that was on call Saturday tells me Dr. Matthews wants me to come into the office first thing Monday morning to make sure everything's set correctly. I'm ecstatic. Show up first thing this morning and wait about an hour and a half and he refuses to see me. The nurse tells me that he wants me to make an appointment. ? WHAT? Would not see me … not him … not a nurse. NOTHING. WHAT A LET DOWN. The reason he gave was because he hadn't seen me in a year. Well, my new endo didn't have the information and he did. You still couldn't take 15 minutes to look at my pump at make sure all was GOOD?
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Lance in Charleston – Jun 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I was so excited to finally get answers to issues that I have been dealing with for most of my life. I've been going to Dr. Matthews' practice for nearly 2-1/2 years. Unfortunately, although grateful to have a diagnosis of Hashimoto's and insulin resistance, my issues are not better and I have only seen Dr. Matthews one time in all of my appointments. I liked him when I first went to the practice and I know that he is knowledgeable. So, I am going to give it another shot at my next appt.
CG in Summerville, SC – Mar 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Support staff is terrrible. No concerns for patient
SC – Mar 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
He is knowledgeable, but after the first few visits passes you off to a not so helpful PA. Didn't wait months to be treated by someone other than him
Summerville, SC – Jan 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
He is excellent in his field and knows what he is doing, in particular to my needs, thyroid hormone therapy. He experienced his own thyroid issues while specializing in Medical school. This has made him more creative and precise in customizing his patients' thyroid medications. I am sure he is just as particular in the treatment of Diabetes. Rachel, his PA is amazing also.
Priscilla Lyle in Hilton Head Island, SC – Jul 17, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I have seen Endocrinologists at Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic, and they could not figure out what was causing me to be so sick. I saw Dr. Mathews and he listened carefully to my symptoms, he performed a thorough exam and after running some different tests, was able to tell me what he thought was wrong. We started treatment for my pituitary gland not working properly, and for too much cortisol. I feel like a brand new person! I would trust Dr. Mathews with my life.
Ashley in Louisville, KY – Jan 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews is THE Thyroid Specialist in the Charleston region, in fact probably in all of South Carolina. He understands thyroid hormone replacement to help keep me feeling my best. He also is treating me for my thyroid cancer. He is able to do his own ultrasounds in the office and does a far more extensive exam than I every received at MUSC before.
Mt. Pleasant, SC – Jul 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I travel 4+ hours to see Dr. Mathews for his expertise. He is the best of the best. He has my thyroid cancer under control and takes excellent care of me. He always explains things very well.
Mar 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I travel about 3 hours one way to see Dr. Mathews. He has a superior understanding about thyroid disease and has helped me feel the best I have in years!
Savannah, GA – Mar 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Excellent doctor! He knows his stuff (apparently he is asked to speak to other doctors across the country) and I felt like he genuinely cares about helping me get better. He actually is the only doctor that has helped me feel better with my thyroid condition. I have 100% faith in him!
Charleston, SC – Feb 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Matthews is nothing but the best. I am so glad I located this doctor. From his bedside manners to his knowledge he is the only provider so far that I can say I trust with my care.
Summerville, SC – Feb 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews is the best. He discovered I had Cushing's syndrome and a growth on my adrenal gland. He has me on a medicine and have lost 40lbs so far! I hear that he one of the nation's experts on this problem. I feel so lucky that he is taking care of me.
Tinsley in Charleston, SC – Nov 30, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I saw Dr. Matthews for the first time yesterday. He is the first Dr. in this area that I am impressed with. He is kind, and very smart. I return in a week for a test. No problems with the staff, either.
Summerville, SC – Aug 24, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I have learned that Endocrinology is a very complex. My other Endo was not drawing all the labs I needed to see the full picture. Dr. Mathews was able to explain this issue in a way I could easily understand. I also learned you have to be patient (which I see another reviewer was not). Sometimes you have to wait for a certain lab to return, which can take several weeks, and the interpretation of everything hinges on that test. He is smart and worth it, as many travel across country for him.
DT in Columbia, SC – Jul 26, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I think he is detached from his staff and has no idea how rude they are to patients who simply want answers... My daughter has been waiting for over a week for answers to bloodwork she can see online ...
Beth Poole in Clemson, SC – Jun 14, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Matthews is an excellent provider. He listens to my concerens,and takes them all seriously. He is a very gentle,and patient provider so far. I would recommend him to anyone!
North Charleston, SC – Jun 01, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Mathews?

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for South Carolina

Frequently Treated by Dr. Mathews

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Mathews treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Mathews treats other conditions, please contact the office at (843) 376-2670.

Osteoporosis & Screening

Osteoporosis specialists diagnose and treat conditions characterized by low bone density and bone weakness, such as osteoporosis and osteopenia.Compare with other Osteoporosis & Screening specialists.

Dr. Mathews is experienced in the area of Osteoporosis & Screening. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 2 conditions and procedures

Osteoporosis
Osteopenia

Thyroid Disorders

Thyroid disorders specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the thyroid gland, including hyperparathyroidism, thyroid disease, and thyroid nodules.Compare with other Thyroid Disorders specialists.

Dr. Mathews is experienced in the area of Thyroid Disorders. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 17 conditions and procedures

Hypothyroidism
Thyroid Goiter
Thyroid Cancer
Parathyroid (Gland) Disease

Diabetes & Glucose Monitoring

Diabetes specialists manage and treat a range of diabetes-related conditions including type 1 and type 2 diabetes and diabetic ketoacidosis through procedures such as continuous glucose monitoring and insulin therapy.Compare with other Diabetes & Glucose Monitoring specialists.

Dr. Mathews is experienced in the area of Diabetes & Glucose Monitoring. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 9 conditions and procedures

• Calcium Metabolism Disorders
  • Celiac Disease
  • Cholesterol Screening
  • Chronic Care Management
  • Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH)
  • Continuous Glucose Monitoring
  • Hypoparathyroidism
  • Hypopituitarism
  • Hyposmolality and Hyponatremia
  • Hypotension
  • Hypotension (Excluding Maternal)
  • Hypothyroidism
  • Iodine Deficiency
  • Iron Metabolism Disorders
  • Lipid Disorders
  • Magnesium Metabolism Disorders
  • Malaise and Fatigue
  • Menopausal and Postmenopausal Disorders
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Mineral Metabolism Disorders
  • Vitamin B Deficiency
  • Vitamin D Deficiency
  • Water Deprivation Test
  • Yeast Infections

Dr. Mathews accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Mathews has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(843) 931-4672Find providers who accept this insurance

Dr. Joseph Mathews is the Director of Endocrinology at Palmetto Primary & Specialty Care Physcians and has extensive training in Endocrine...Read more

• Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism

• Diabetes, Metabolism & Endocrinology

• MUSC College of Medicine Teacher of the Month, February 2
  • Election into the Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2008

• Melanoma of the Ear: Results of a Cartilage-Sparing Approach to Resection,
  • Development of Third-Degree Heart block in Carcinoid Heart Disease,
  • The Impact of a Dedicated Microvascular Operative and ICU Team on Free Tissue Transfer Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancer Patients,
  • Diagnosis of a Neck Mass, Dec 2010
  • Impact of genotype and mucosal disease on skull base pneumatization in cystic fibrosis,
  • Temporal bone pneumatization and its relationship to paranasal sinus development in cystic fibrosis, 2010 June