Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD

Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD

Internal Medicine | Male

Dr. Joseph Mathews is the Director of Endocrinology at Palmetto Primary & Specialty Care Physcians and has extensive training in Endocrine diseases. He started his education at The College of Charleston, where he graduated cum laude with a B.S. in Biology. Afterwards, he earned his Doctor of Medicine from The Medical University of South Carolina, where he stayed on to complete his residency training in Internal Medicine and then his fellowship in Endocrinology. The American Board of Internal Medicine has awarded him board certification in both Internal Medicine as well as Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism. He has advanced training in diabetes treatments, including insulin pumps, as well as neck ultrasound, thyroid biopsies, and clinical densitometry. He is the only physician in the low country to earn ECNU certification status, a professional certification in the field of neck ultrasonography for physicians who perform consultations and diagnostic evaluations for thyroid and parathyroid disorders through both diagnostic ultrasound and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration. Dr. Mathews has also earned distinction as a Fellow of the American College of Physicians because of his recognized accomplishments and achievements over and above the practice of medicine.

Dr. Mathews' Experience

See how Dr. Mathews' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Mathews

Dr. Mathews accepts 19 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Mathews has admitting privileges.

Dr. Mathews' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mathews to family and friends
    Dr. Mathews' Performance
    I travel 4+ hours to see Dr. Mathews for his expertise. He is the best of the best. He has my thyroid cancer under control and takes excellent care of me. He always explains things very well.
    Savannah, GA |
    I travel about 3 hours one way to see Dr. Mathews. He has a superior understanding about thyroid disease and has helped me feel the best I have in years!
    Charleston, SC |
    Excellent doctor! He knows his stuff (apparently he is asked to speak to other doctors across the country) and I felt like he genuinely cares about helping me get better. He actually is the only doctor that has helped me feel better with my thyroid condition. I have 100% faith in him!
    Summerville, SC |
    Dr. Matthews is nothing but the best. I am so glad I located this doctor. From his bedside manners to his knowledge he is the only provider so far that I can say I trust with my care.
    in Charleston, SC |
    Dr. Mathews is the best. He discovered I had Cushing's syndrome and a growth on my adrenal gland. He has me on a medicine and have lost 40lbs so far! I hear that he one of the nation's experts on this problem. I feel so lucky that he is taking care of me.
    in Lexington |
    I think Dr. Mathews is one of the best MD's in SC. He explains the treatment plan well and your medical diagnosis. He has always spent appropriate time with me. The only problem I have his is support staff. They do not call back in a timely manner to respond to your questions or needs.
    Summerville, SC |
    I saw Dr. Matthews for the first time yesterday. He is the first Dr. in this area that I am impressed with. He is kind, and very smart. I return in a week for a test. No problems with the staff, either.
    in Columbia, SC |
    I have learned that Endocrinology is a very complex. My other Endo was not drawing all the labs I needed to see the full picture. Dr. Mathews was able to explain this issue in a way I could easily understand. I also learned you have to be patient (which I see another reviewer was not). Sometimes you have to wait for a certain lab to return, which can take several weeks, and the interpretation of everything hinges on that test. He is smart and worth it, as many travel across country for him.
    in Clemson, SC |
    I think he is detached from his staff and has no idea how rude they are to patients who simply want answers... My daughter has been waiting for over a week for answers to bloodwork she can see online ...
    North Charleston, SC |
    Dr. Matthews is an excellent provider. He listens to my concerens,and takes them all seriously. He is a very gentle,and patient provider so far. I would recommend him to anyone!
    in Summerville, SC |
    Dr. Mathews and his staff are amazing! I saw another review of someone having problems getting some results from a hospital...I don't even know why you would go to anyone else to have a biopsy done (Dr. Mathews is the best around). He did my biopsy and it was painless and I had the result within the week. I was so happy it wasn't cancer! Dr. Mathews also has changed my thyroid medications around and I feel like a new person. I've lost weight and feel great!
    in Summerville, SC |
    NO NO!! His staff is horrible!! They never respond to any CVS refill requests. I always have to call to get them to respond to the refill requests. I had a thyroid biopsy to rule out cancer and it took them 3 weeks to get the results. I called them every cpl of days and they kept blaming it on the hospital where I had the biopsy. When I finally called the hospital they told me they never received a request from his office and that they have had the results since 2 days after the procedure.
    in Lexington, SC |
    Dr. Mathews is one of the best doctors I have ever been to. He takes his times and actually listens to the patient.
    in Charleston, SC |
    Dr. Mathews listens to my symptoms and takes each one seriously. He doesn't blow me off like so many other doctors have in the past. He was able to help me feel better with some different medicines. I am so thankful I found him!
    Have you seen Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
    Are you Dr. Mathews?

Dr. Mathews says...

Dr. Joseph Mathews is the Director of Endocrinology at Palmetto Primary & Specialty Care Physcians and has extensive training in Endocrine diseases.  He started his education at The College of Charleston, where he graduated cum laude with a B.S. in Biology.  Afterwards, he earned his Doctor of Medicine from The Medical University of South Carolina, where he stayed on to complete his residency training in Internal Medicine and then his fellowship in Endocrinology.  The American Board of Internal Medicine has awarded him board certification in both Internal Medicine as well as Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism.  He has advanced training in diabetes treatments, including insulin pumps, as well as neck ultrasound, thyroid biopsies, and clinical densitometry.  He is the only physician in the low country to earn ECNU certification status, a professional certification in the field of neck ultrasonography for physicians who perform consultations and diagnostic evaluations for thyroid and parathyroid disorders through both diagnostic ultrasound and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration.  Dr. Mathews has also earned distinction as a Fellow of the American College of Physicians because of his recognized accomplishments and achievements over and above the practice of medicine.

Dr. Mathews' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Internal Medicine
    •  Malpractice claims in South Carolina not available

• Election into the Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2008
      • MUSC College of Medicine Teacher of the Month, February 2
      • The Impact of a Dedicated Microvascular Operative and ICU Team on Free Tissue Transfer Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancer Patients
      • Development of Third-Degree Heart block in Carcinoid Heart Disease
      • Temporal bone pneumatization and its relationship to paranasal sinus development in cystic fibrosis, 2010 June
      • Diagnosis of a Neck Mass, Dec 2010
      • Impact of genotype and mucosal disease on skull base pneumatization in cystic fibrosis
      • Melanoma of the Ear: Results of a Cartilage-Sparing Approach to Resection

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Mathews' Board Certifications

Completed in 2014

• Other Education
      Ccd
      Ecnu

Dr. Mathews does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mathews and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Endocrinology