Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD

Dr. Mathews
Telehealth services available

Palmetto Endocrinology

1101 Old Trolley Rd Ste 300 Summerville, SC 29485

Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD is a Internal Medicine Specialist in Summerville, SC and has over 11 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Medical University Of South Carolina medical school in 2009. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Mount Pleasant Hospital and Musc Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Mathews to book an appointment.

Compare with other Internal Medicine Specialists

Compare Dr. Mathews with our nearby Internal Medicine Specialists at Trident Medical Center.

Make an appointment at Trident Medical Center today at (843) 256-3849.

provider hospital

These providers are on the medical staff of Trident Medical Center.

Dr. Mathews' Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Mathews

4.5

86.20689655172414%
10.344827586206897%

Dr. Mathews?
No words can describe how caring and loving Dr. Matthews, his physician assistant and staff are. He has diligently for a number of years worked to keep my thyroid, sugar and osteoporosis in control/balance. For a senior citizen 65 who loves life, I say he is a priceless fabulous young doctor i pray I can have for many years. I feel he is great with geriatrics needs too.. a goooood person who truly listens and has your best interest at heart.
Shirley Bowen – Jun 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Great mind and great bedside manner. Worth traveling to see.
May 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews, and his staff, did a great job. They were very professional and nice. He is super knowledgeable and this is why I have traveled so far to see him. Totally worth it.
Jan 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Very friendly and helpful staff, Dr. Mathews is great! He seems confident, and has a pleasant rapport with his patients.
Terry Goans in North Charleston, SC – Jun 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I had my insulin pump have a critical error this past Friday. No problem, called Medtronic and got one delivered the next day by noon. Awesome. Called Dr. Matthews office trying to get my insulin pump settings. Thankfully they had the information and provided it to me … awesome … so far. I'm no doctor and I don't know if I've programmed it right. A lot of the settings were in medical jargon. The nurse that was on call Saturday tells me Dr. Matthews wants me to come into the office first thing Monday morning to make sure everything's set correctly. I'm ecstatic. Show up first thing this morning and wait about an hour and a half and he refuses to see me. The nurse tells me that he wants me to make an appointment. ? WHAT? Would not see me … not him … not a nurse. NOTHING. WHAT A LET DOWN. The reason he gave was because he hadn't seen me in a year. Well, my new endo didn't have the information and he did. You still couldn't take 15 minutes to look at my pump at make sure all was GOOD?
Lance in Charleston – Jun 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I was so excited to finally get answers to issues that I have been dealing with for most of my life. I've been going to Dr. Matthews' practice for nearly 2-1/2 years. Unfortunately, although grateful to have a diagnosis of Hashimoto's and insulin resistance, my issues are not better and I have only seen Dr. Matthews one time in all of my appointments. I liked him when I first went to the practice and I know that he is knowledgeable. So, I am going to give it another shot at my next appt.
CG in Summerville, SC – Mar 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Support staff is terrrible. No concerns for patient
SC – Mar 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
He is knowledgeable, but after the first few visits passes you off to a not so helpful PA. Didn't wait months to be treated by someone other than him
Summerville, SC – Jan 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
He is excellent in his field and knows what he is doing, in particular to my needs, thyroid hormone therapy. He experienced his own thyroid issues while specializing in Medical school. This has made him more creative and precise in customizing his patients' thyroid medications. I am sure he is just as particular in the treatment of Diabetes. Rachel, his PA is amazing also.
Priscilla Lyle in Hilton Head Island, SC – Jul 17, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I have seen Endocrinologists at Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic, and they could not figure out what was causing me to be so sick. I saw Dr. Mathews and he listened carefully to my symptoms, he performed a thorough exam and after running some different tests, was able to tell me what he thought was wrong. We started treatment for my pituitary gland not working properly, and for too much cortisol. I feel like a brand new person! I would trust Dr. Mathews with my life.
Ashley in Louisville, KY – Jan 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews is THE Thyroid Specialist in the Charleston region, in fact probably in all of South Carolina. He understands thyroid hormone replacement to help keep me feeling my best. He also is treating me for my thyroid cancer. He is able to do his own ultrasounds in the office and does a far more extensive exam than I every received at MUSC before.
Mt. Pleasant, SC – Jul 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I travel 4+ hours to see Dr. Mathews for his expertise. He is the best of the best. He has my thyroid cancer under control and takes excellent care of me. He always explains things very well.
Mar 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I travel about 3 hours one way to see Dr. Mathews. He has a superior understanding about thyroid disease and has helped me feel the best I have in years!
Savannah, GA – Mar 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Excellent doctor! He knows his stuff (apparently he is asked to speak to other doctors across the country) and I felt like he genuinely cares about helping me get better. He actually is the only doctor that has helped me feel better with my thyroid condition. I have 100% faith in him!
Charleston, SC – Feb 26, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Matthews is nothing but the best. I am so glad I located this doctor. From his bedside manners to his knowledge he is the only provider so far that I can say I trust with my care.
Summerville, SC – Feb 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews is the best. He discovered I had Cushing's syndrome and a growth on my adrenal gland. He has me on a medicine and have lost 40lbs so far! I hear that he one of the nation's experts on this problem. I feel so lucky that he is taking care of me.
Tinsley in Charleston, SC – Nov 30, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I saw Dr. Matthews for the first time yesterday. He is the first Dr. in this area that I am impressed with. He is kind, and very smart. I return in a week for a test. No problems with the staff, either.
Summerville, SC – Aug 24, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I have learned that Endocrinology is a very complex. My other Endo was not drawing all the labs I needed to see the full picture. Dr. Mathews was able to explain this issue in a way I could easily understand. I also learned you have to be patient (which I see another reviewer was not). Sometimes you have to wait for a certain lab to return, which can take several weeks, and the interpretation of everything hinges on that test. He is smart and worth it, as many travel across country for him.
DT in Columbia, SC – Jul 26, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I think he is detached from his staff and has no idea how rude they are to patients who simply want answers... My daughter has been waiting for over a week for answers to bloodwork she can see online ...
Beth Poole in Clemson, SC – Jun 14, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Matthews is an excellent provider. He listens to my concerens,and takes them all seriously. He is a very gentle,and patient provider so far. I would recommend him to anyone!
North Charleston, SC – Jun 01, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Mathews?

Dr. Joseph Mathews is the Director of Endocrinology at Palmetto Primary & Specialty Care Physcians and has extensive training in Endocrine diseases.  He started his education at The College of Charleston, where he graduated cum lau...Read more

• Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism

2009

• Election into the Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2008
  • MUSC College of Medicine Teacher of the Month, February 2

• Diagnosis of a Neck Mass, Dec 2010
  • Temporal bone pneumatization and its relationship to paranasal sinus development in cystic fibrosis, 2010 June
  • Development of Third-Degree Heart block in Carcinoid Heart Disease,
  • The Impact of a Dedicated Microvascular Operative and ICU Team on Free Tissue Transfer Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancer Patients,
  • Melanoma of the Ear: Results of a Cartilage-Sparing Approach to Resection,
  • Impact of genotype and mucosal disease on skull base pneumatization in cystic fibrosis,

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Mathews communicate via email?

No users have indicated that Dr. Mathews communicates via email

• Does Dr. Mathews offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Mathews offers telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Mathews offer an online patient portal?

No users have indicated that Dr. Mathews offers an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Mathews have free onsite parking?

No users have indicated that Dr. Mathews has free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Mathews offer weekend visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Mathews offers weekend visits

• Does Dr. Mathews offer evening visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Mathews offers evening visits