Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD

Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD

Internal Medicine  ·
Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD is an internal medicine specialist in Summerville, SC and has been practicing for 5 years. He graduated from Medical University Of South Carolina in 2009 and specializes in internal medicine and endocrinology, diabetes & metabolism.Read his story

1101 Old Trolley Rd Ste 300

Summerville, SC 29485

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)

• Hypothyroidism
  • Kidney Disease
  • Lipid Disorders
  • Malaise and Fatigue
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia
  • Thyroiditis
  • Turner Syndrome
  • Ultrasound, Thyroid
  • Vitamin D Deficiency

"Dr. Joseph Mathews is the Director of Endocrinology at Palmetto Primary & Specialty Care Physcians and has extensive training in Endocrine diseases. He started his education at The College of Charleston, where he graduated cum laude with a B.S....

• Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism

2010
2009

• Election into the Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2008
  • MUSC College of Medicine Teacher of the Month, February 2

• The Impact of a Dedicated Microvascular Operative and ICU Team on Free Tissue Transfer Outcomes in Head and Neck Cancer Patients,
  • Development of Third-Degree Heart block in Carcinoid Heart Disease,
  • Temporal bone pneumatization and its relationship to paranasal sinus development in cystic fibrosis, 2010 June
  • Diagnosis of a Neck Mass, Dec 2010
  • Impact of genotype and mucosal disease on skull base pneumatization in cystic fibrosis,
  • Melanoma of the Ear: Results of a Cartilage-Sparing Approach to Resection,

Dr. Mathews' Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Mathews

Dr. Mathews?
Dr. Mathews' Performance
What People Say About Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD
I was so excited to finally get answers to issues that I have been dealing with for most of my life. I've been going to Dr. Matthews' practice for nearly 2-1/2 years. Unfortunately, although grateful to have a diagnosis of Hashimoto's and insulin resistance, my issues are not better and I have only seen Dr. Matthews one time in all of my appointments. I liked him when I first went to the practice and I know that he is knowledgeable. So, I am going to give it another shot at my next appt.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Support staff is terrrible. No concerns for patient
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
He is knowledgeable, but after the first few visits passes you off to a not so helpful PA. Didn't wait months to be treated by someone other than him
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
He is excellent in his field and knows what he is doing, in particular to my needs, thyroid hormone therapy. He experienced his own thyroid issues while specializing in Medical school. This has made him more creative and precise in customizing his patients' thyroid medications. I am sure he is just as particular in the treatment of Diabetes. Rachel, his PA is amazing also.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
DR. MATHEWS IS THE 'HOUSE, MD' OF THE ENDOCRINE WORLD!!! HE FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM AND GAVE ME THE PROPER MEDS. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWENTY YEARS, I FEEL GREAT!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I have seen Endocrinologists at Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic, and they could not figure out what was causing me to be so sick. I saw Dr. Mathews and he listened carefully to my symptoms, he performed a thorough exam and after running some different tests, was able to tell me what he thought was wrong. We started treatment for my pituitary gland not working properly, and for too much cortisol. I feel like a brand new person! I would trust Dr. Mathews with my life.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews is THE Thyroid Specialist in the Charleston region, in fact probably in all of South Carolina. He understands thyroid hormone replacement to help keep me feeling my best. He also is treating me for my thyroid cancer. He is able to do his own ultrasounds in the office and does a far more extensive exam than I every received at MUSC before.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I travel 4+ hours to see Dr. Mathews for his expertise. He is the best of the best. He has my thyroid cancer under control and takes excellent care of me. He always explains things very well.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I travel about 3 hours one way to see Dr. Mathews. He has a superior understanding about thyroid disease and has helped me feel the best I have in years!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Excellent doctor! He knows his stuff (apparently he is asked to speak to other doctors across the country) and I felt like he genuinely cares about helping me get better. He actually is the only doctor that has helped me feel better with my thyroid condition. I have 100% faith in him!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Matthews is nothing but the best. I am so glad I located this doctor. From his bedside manners to his knowledge he is the only provider so far that I can say I trust with my care.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews is the best. He discovered I had Cushing's syndrome and a growth on my adrenal gland. He has me on a medicine and have lost 40lbs so far! I hear that he one of the nation's experts on this problem. I feel so lucky that he is taking care of me.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I saw Dr. Matthews for the first time yesterday. He is the first Dr. in this area that I am impressed with. He is kind, and very smart. I return in a week for a test. No problems with the staff, either.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I have learned that Endocrinology is a very complex. My other Endo was not drawing all the labs I needed to see the full picture. Dr. Mathews was able to explain this issue in a way I could easily understand. I also learned you have to be patient (which I see another reviewer was not). Sometimes you have to wait for a certain lab to return, which can take several weeks, and the interpretation of everything hinges on that test. He is smart and worth it, as many travel across country for him.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
I think he is detached from his staff and has no idea how rude they are to patients who simply want answers... My daughter has been waiting for over a week for answers to bloodwork she can see online ...
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Matthews is an excellent provider. He listens to my concerens,and takes them all seriously. He is a very gentle,and patient provider so far. I would recommend him to anyone!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews and his staff are amazing! I saw another review of someone having problems getting some results from a hospital...I don't even know why you would go to anyone else to have a biopsy done (Dr. Mathews is the best around). He did my biopsy and it was painless and I had the result within the week. I was so happy it wasn't cancer! Dr. Mathews also has changed my thyroid medications around and I feel like a new person. I've lost weight and feel great!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
NO NO!! His staff is horrible!! They never respond to any CVS refill requests. I always have to call to get them to respond to the refill requests. I had a thyroid biopsy to rule out cancer and it took them 3 weeks to get the results. I called them every cpl of days and they kept blaming it on the hospital where I had the biopsy. When I finally called the hospital they told me they never received a request from his office and that they have had the results since 2 days after the procedure.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews is one of the best doctors I have ever been to. He takes his times and actually listens to the patient.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?
Dr. Mathews listens to my symptoms and takes each one seriously. He doesn't blow me off like so many other doctors have in the past. He was able to help me feel better with some different medicines. I am so thankful I found him!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Joseph Mathews, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Mathews?

Insurance accepted

Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
Amerigroup (Wellpoint)