Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery  |
Dr. Joseph Lynch, MD
Biography Dr. Lynch is a graduate of Harvard University and native to the Pacific Northwest. He completed medical school at Oregon Health Sciences University graduating first in his class in 2002. He then completed a residency in orthopedic surgery, as well as a fellowship in shoulder & elbow surgery at the University of Washington. In addition to being a fellowship-trained, board-certified shoulder and elbow subspecialist, Dr. Lynch also maintains a Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine from the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. Experience Dr. Lynch has been an actively practicing shoulder surgeon since 2008. As a former Navy Commander and Associate Professor of Surgery, Dr. Lynch has taught the requisite skills of shoulder surgery to numerous orthopedic surgical residents and countless medical students from across the country. Multiple honors, achievements and awards color his professional career. He has published numerous peer-reviewed scientific articles concerning the shoulder and elbow, has presented at regional and national meetings, and is an active reviewer for several peer-review journals dedicated to the practice of orthopedic surgery. In his previous career with the military, he had the privilege of serving as the Director of the Division of Sports Medicine & Shoulder Surgery for the United States Navy. In this capacity, Dr. Lynch was afforded the opportunity to both teach and practice orthopedic surgery throughout the country as well as abroad.

8854 W Emerald St Ste 102

Boise, ID 83704

• Altius Health Plans
  • Blue Cross of Idaho
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medicare
  • ODS Health Plan
  • PacificSource
  • Providence Health Plans
  • Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Lynch

Dr. Lynch's Experience

Dr. Lynch's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery

• Complex Fractures
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Extra-Articular Fracture
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Joint Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Osteoarthritis of Elbow
  • Shoulder Muscle Strain
  • Shoulder Sprain
  • Shoulder Tendinitis
  • Subacromial Bursitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Upper Extremity Fracture

• Shoulder Surgery
  • Shoulder, Elbow, Hand, and Wrist Joint Replacement
  • Soft Tissue Injections
  • Total Shoulder Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Idaho.

• Harvard University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1998
  • Oregon Health Sciences University
    Medical School | Graduated 2002
    Internship Hospital | Completed 2003
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2007
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2008

Dr. Lynch has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Lynch does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Lynch and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Lynch's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Lynch to family and friends
Dr. Lynch's Performance
Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch took time and genuinely cared about my condition and well being.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch operated on my shoulder May 2017. Prior to he and his staff completed all pre-op paperwork and insurance questions I may have had. His bedside manner is second to none and he makes you feel very comfortable. I truly feel he cares about you and makes your feel same asking you questions about your spouse or recent trips you took. My shoulder today (Sept. 17) is better than ever. I have golfed , fished for halibut in Alaska and pain free. I have had several friends who have also seen Dr.
in Gooding, id |
I had a chronic shoulder injury, Dr. Lynch was the 3rd opinion before we decided on which treatment to have. He explained the injury, treatment and the recovery so that it was easy to make the decision to go with Dr. Lynch for treatment. The other doctors wanted to do a complete rotator cuff repair which included cutting through healthy tissue when it wasn't necessary. What an awesome surgeon, we appreciated his honesty and availability before and after surgery. We highly recommend Dr. Lynch!
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch is the best--personable and definitely excellent at his specialty. I recently had a shoulder replacement after years of avoiding the procedure. He was relatively new to the clinic & therefore I knew nothing about him until I read his extensive resume. The plus is that he is thoughtful & listens. Furthermore the night before surgery he called to ask if I was concerned about the procedure. WHO DOES THAT?! He & his entire team, including his RN, April, are absolutely the VERY BEST.
in Ketchum, ID |
Dr. Lynch and his nurse April are excellent medical providers. They are very responsive and truly care about their patients.
in Boise, ID |
On Valentine's Day 2017 I was shooting some hoops with my Grandson. The ball got away from me and without thinking I ran after it. Big Mistake. Got overbalanced and speared my shoulder into the street. Broke the humerus, displaced it, broke a chip out the the humerus head, broke two sides of the rotator and bent it up, tore bicep in two places, etc. BIG PROBLEM. Ten screws and a metal plate later, I've got about 60% use.... He got better than expected results and I HIGHLY recommend him.
in Eagle, ID |
My family and I could not be more pleased with our encounter with Dr. Lynch and the staff at The Shoulder Clinic. He is an excellent surgeon, encouraging me all the way with my shoulder surgery and it is working (almost, as of this date) as good as it was before the injury. I would certainly recommend Dr. Lynch to any friend or family member. The morale in the office is probably the most positive I've ever seen. Kudos to Dr. Lynch and his sweet nurse, April!!!
in Eagle, ID |
I am completely satisfied with Dr. Lynch and his nurse.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch and his nurse were amazing. I was very scared of the procedure and they took their time with me, explaining everything that would be done. They showed patience, awesome bed side manner and made me feel safe. I can not thank them enough.
in Buhl, ID |
Dr. Lynch is not only a great surgeon but a very kind individual. He called me the night before surgery and then the next day after surgery, just to make sure everything was okay. My shoulder has healed quickly and I have recovered most of my movement that I lost due to my injury in just a few months. I am extremely happy with my choice to use Dr. Lynch!
in Baker City, OR |
Dr. Lynch performed surgery on my shoulder. I found him to be very supportive both before and after the surgery. Most important is that the surgery seems to be have been a success and since this was the fourth surgery on this shoulder (the other three done by other surgeons) I'm very pleased. If I could make a suggestion it would be that Dr. Lynch be more supportive of post-op physical therapy.
in Vale, OR |
I offer the highest recommendation for Dr. Joseph Lynch. At my first appointment I learned my shoulder condition was poor, but I was urged to not rush into a decision. I decided to proceed with surgery after my second visit; I was then totally confident Dr. Lynch was highly qualified and fully capable of resolving my situation. During the immediate days after surgery, Dr. Lynch was available for questions and concerns. I left my post-surgery follow-up knowing the operation was a success.
Cove, OR |
Within ONE WEEK of my replacement surgery, I wondered why I had waited so long--years, actually--to have my shoulder repaired. The answer finally came to me: I was waiting for the perfect team: Dr. Joseph Lynch and nurse April Reed. Their excellent care, combined with a superb surgery experience at Treasure Valley Hospital, made all the difference. At the first week, Dr. Lynch had me stretching and extending my surgical arm in ways I couldn't imagine, and all pain-free!They are the team for me!
Eagle, ID |
Dr Lynch treated my son after breaking his collarbone snowboarding in 2016.The break was serious & required surgery.My son is an athlete & I wanted the best outcome for him so we chose Dr Lynch after reading about him & the Shoulder Clinic Of Idaho.I can't say enough good things about the excellent treatment my son received & how thankful I am to Dr Lynch his nurse April & staff.I have much confidence in Dr Lynch, which was comforting as a mom.I am so glad we did our research and chose Dr Lynch!
in Sweet, Idaho |
I am a month after having a shoulder replacement. I have more movement in my shoulder than I have had since I retired three years ago. I am pain free for the first time in twelve years. I believe I will regain full movement of my shoulder. My husband and I believe my speedy recovery is due to the excellent Doctor and Nurse I had. We were both impressed with Dr. Lynch and April. Highly recommend them if you are having shoulder problems.
in Meridian, ID |
I was referred to Dr. Lynch when I broke my shoulder last winter. He was an excellent doctor and did his best to help me heal without surgery. His nurse, April, helped me along the way and explained how to do the exercises I was supposed to do. I would highly recommend him and his office staff as the place you would want to go if you are having a shoulder problem. The staff was extremely helpful and compassionate. I would refer him to my family and friends without hesitation.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch is a very competent & skilled surgeon.He is very friendly, and showed genuine concern for me before, during, and after my surgery. He does a great job of explaining all aspects of the surgery & recovery. He is a good listener. He has gift in getting to and understanding your concerns. I have already recommended a friend to him, and will continue to recommend him to anybody having shoulder problems.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch and April Reed, R.N. are the standard to which all Medical Professionals should aspire to attain. Interested in listening to me, my concerns and fears. The fact that there is no rush put on the patient to get through all questions is so refreshing. I truly felt like I was their main concern. The fact that the practice is not connected / owned by a big hospital is a major plus for me. Not pushing tests and treatments, or drugs.....AWESOME, Thanks Doc!
in Payette, ID |
I am in recovery of a successful total shoulder replacement done by Dr. Lynch. From the moment I met him and his awesome nurse April Reed, I knew I was in good hands. When you're with Dr. Lynch, He inspires optimism and confidence. You believe he cares and wants to help make you better. The night before surgery I was feeling anxious, and out of the blue I got a call from Dr. Lynch to let me know everything was going to be just fine!! Get a good night's sleep!! And everything WAS just fine.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch performed my total shoulder replacement about ten weeks ago. After ten years of pain and limited mobility, I'm well on my way to recovery. The pain is gone and my mobility is getting much better. Dr. Lynch has been very upbeat and concerned about me and my progress thru out the process. I'm extremely glad I chose Dr. Lynch as my surgeon.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch performed shoulder surgery on me in January 2017. I had fallen while exercising and the surgery was performed to release adhesions and clean up torn cartridge. I’ve had an excellent response, regaining 95% of my pre-surgery range within about 60 days. And I needed a good recovery for my job. Dr. Lynch and his nurse took great care to explain the injury and my options. Dr. Lynch is an extremely talented surgeon as well as a good-natured and caring person.
From my first appointment with Dr. Lynch, I felt like I was his only patient. He and his R.N. April Reed took great care of me before my surgery and Dr. Lynch did an excellent job repairing my shoulder. The care I received afterward was equally as great. He is not only a talented doctor and surgeon, but he genuinely cares for his patients and shows that by spending time with them and explaining everything in an understandable way. April is caring and informative and gives you her total att
in LaGrande. Oregon |
Found out there is not enough space for this review. In my opinion Dr. Lynch was simply the very best doctor for my total shoulder replacement surgery. He showed concern for me before and after the surgery. My shoulder is doing better than I could have expected and all that I hoped for. I'm looking forward to renewing my very active lifestyle. Dr. Lynch and his nurse April were very flexible in schedules and safety. They asked questions to know about my goals and expectations. 10 stars from me
in Caldwell, ID |
Years ago after rotator cuff repair I had "frozen shoulder" that had to be manipulated under anesthesia 3 times (horrid experience). Needless to say when I needed surgery again (5 dislocations) I was quite anxious. Dr Lynch patiently answered all my questions, welcomed all my online research (u of Wash med center has great site). He even agreed to just nerve block and no other anesthesia (something he had never done before). I have complete range of motion with at home exercises. He is the BEST.
in Gooding |
Outstanding Orthopedic Doc.
in boise, id |
Dr. Lynch and R.N. April Reed provided excellent care during all phases of the process. During these times of insurance company mandated medical care both Dr. Lynch and April exhibited the highest level of professional medical care and compassion. I consider myself very fortunate to have Dr. Lynch, April and the entire staff of The Shoulder Clinic of Idaho to help me through this rather trying time. Thanks again folks for a job well done.
in Meridian, ID |
From start to finish, visits and treatment has been very professional but also friendly and personable. Experience was excellent starting with Dr. Lynch and R. N. April Reed always being prompt for appts. The diagnosis was extensively explained using 3D anatomy models/MRI images. Procedures were thoroughly stepped through prior to surgery including overview of prep and recovery. I also received pre and post surgery calls from Dr. Lynch ensuring I never had to guess what was going to happen next.
in Boise, ID |
Extremely pleased to have had Dr. Lynch do my surgery. His demeanor was pleasing and showed his full attention to me as a patient and individual. His explanations of my needed surgery was complete and easily understood. The followup visits were equally exemplary of outstanding patient care. I strongly recommend Dr. Lynch to all my family, friends, and employees.
in ID |
Dr. Lynch’s alternative “ream & run” procedure removes all lifting restrictions (after healing) associated with routine shoulder replacement & will return my shoulder to its undamaged state. Dr. Lynch’s superb training, expertise, & precision qualify him (1 of only 2 US doctors) for this specialized procedure. His extraordinary caring & compassion go way above & beyond. I look forward to working with Dr. Lynch thru my full recovery & highly recommend him to anyone needing shoulder surgery.
in Meridian, ID |
Dr.Lynch did a shoulder replacement on me. I was treated with the utmost compassion both in the office and in the hospital. His nurse April was very helpful, since we were new to the area. The surgery was done in a timely fashion, with great success. My arm is working great. I am very pleased with the surgery and follow up. I would and will recommend Dr.Lynch and his team to anyone and will.
in Council, ID |
Dr. Lynch and his nurse April are wonderful. Dr. is a very skilled surgeon with a wonderful, caring manner. I could not have had better care than he, April and Treasure Valley Hospital gave me. My shoulder was not working and now works as it should. I am so thankful for them and highly recommend them! Thanks again, Virginia
in Boise, ID |
Wonderful surgeon, brilliant doctor, great communicator. Perfect for a person like me who wants to know deeply how it works, what his part is and what my part is. Very confident, highly skilled and deeply focused on me, my case, my outcome and my follow-up. I highly recommend him and his nurse April who provide a beautiful Yin Yang team to work with.
in Baker City, OR |
The need to have surgery is certainly not a pleasant experience. Dr. Lynch and his staff were the absolute best to guide us through this process. Dr. Lynch is very approachable, knowledgeable, freely giving of his time, caring, etc. etc. And besides, he's a nice guy. Care before, during and after the surgery have been excellent. We have and will highly recommend Dr. Lynch to any of our friends who are in need of help and relief from shoulder problems.
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch was great from my first appointment. He took the time to actually listen to my concerns without making me feel rushed. Throughout the process, he was thoughtful, methodical, and encouraging as we worked towards meeting my goals for being back up. It was also a lot of fun that we both had military backgrounds and the friendly rivalry between Army and Navy is alive and well!!!
Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch did an initial exam, requested an MRI and then diagnosed my problem as calcific tendonitis in the rotator cuff. He carefully explained what this was and the various methods available to treat it. Ultimately I chose surgery. I could not have been more pleased with the process from start to finish. Dr. Lynch checked in with me prior to the surgery and was readily available for questions during recovery. He is kind, friendly, knowledgeable and trustworthy. I highly recommend Dr. Lynch!
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch and his nurse, April, are absolutely amazing. They are professional and compassionate. I had been having shoulder pain and loosing range of motion. Dr. Lynch saw me with in a week. He listen to my concerns and he took the time to make sure I understood my options. Surgery was the best option for me and he was able to do the surgery that best fit into my schedule. Dr. Lynch and April were available when I called. I am 6 weeks post op and my recover is ahead of schedule. Thanks Anne H
in Star |
I was caregiver for one of his patients. The experience I had with Dr.Lynch was very impressive. He came and talked to me immediately after doing surgery on patient and let me know if I had any questions at all I could contact him. At the follow up appointment he treated us like we had known him forever. He was a very compassionate person. His nurse April Reed, was amazing. She was interested in how the patient had been, answered all questions and was very knowledgeable. Very friendly.
in star, ID |
Dr. Lynch is very kind person take an interest in me, I felt like he was a family friend
wonderful caring Physician
in Boise, ID |
This is the best experience with a physician and surgery that I ever had. Dr. Lynch's patience, understanding, and knowledge of my injury was top notch. He provided and level of confidence that I needed from a doctor regarding my surgery and assured me that he was going to give me the best level of care possible given my situation. He did just that! Tendon re-attached and on my to recovery! I'd make him my primary physician too if I could! I'd recommend his care to anyone!
in Boise, ID |
Dr. Lynch is competent and knowledgeable and communicated what needed done to fix my problems. I have had several surgeries but this is the only time I have had a surgeon call me at home the night before to check on me. The surgery went well and the recovery went well, with a minimal amount of pain. I have had friends and relatives who have had the same procedure and they complained of having much more pain than I experienced. I would recommend Dr. Lynch to anyone.
in Meridian, ID |
Dr. Lynch & his staff were warm & so easy with which to deal, from the beginning. He was also very empathetic & understanding about fears I had. A past surgery gone wrong made me wary of any future surgeries. But upon meeting Dr. Lynch, my fears were eased & I knew I could trust him. And he remained just as supportive and caring throughout the surgery, hospital stay, and recovery. My shoulder is now pain free! Dr. Lynch sets a standard by which I will now measure all other surgeons.
in Boise Idaho |
I went in with a very painful right shoulder that I have been living with for over 20 years, he examined everything and looked a MRI should me what could be done I had a tear in several areas I needed help and I have waited long enough. I had my surgery and home by 12:00 noon I really felt great within a couple days I had no complaints. On the 11th day I was raising my right arm up and down I couldn't believe it. Today is December 5, I have full use !!!!
in Payette, ID |
I was referred to the Shoulder Clinic of Idaho. I was met with the very friendly April Reed, R.N. and transferred to X-Ray. The Tech was very informative at what he was doing and looking for in the x-rays. Dr. Lynch took all the time I needed, listening to question and options. In the end, helped me make the best decision for my shoulder. On my return visit, we were very happy to have healed. This is the place to go.
in Ketchum, ID |
Dr. Lynch and April did an outstanding job! I had surgery for rotator cuff, biceps tendon and miscellaneous tears. I was substantially off pain meds after 3-4 days and at 3 months I have 95% of my range of motion. My experience far exceeded my expectations and I would highly recommend Dr. Lynch, April and their team. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Ketchum, where I live, to see Dr. Lynch in Boise. There is no question that the experience is well worth the drive.
in Meridian, ID |
I highly recommend Dr. Lynch and his assistant April. Had a consult on a broken clavicle and he was very straightforward, approachable and explains it such that a layman can understand. Gave me the options and what to consider and helped to weight the pros and cons. I was also impressed by transparency in discussing costs and the personal attention from Dr. Lynch and April which included several post-op calls from both during my recovery. Wouldn't hesitate to come back or refer family/friends.
in Boise, ID |
It is with delight I add this wonderful news. Dr. Lynch with ‘The Shoulder Clinic of Idaho’ is exceptional. I have been amazed at my surgical recovery for Rotator Cuff and Torn Tendons using his arthroscopic technique. Within the 2nd week after surgery I had no pain, only Tylenol and Ice packs for swelling. By the 8th week I had almost full rotation recovery. By the 12th week, going for the gold. Goodbye sling and golfing in the spring! Life is Good, "I am BLESSED" thank you Dr. Lynch.
in Fairfax, VA |
Dr. Lynch is new to the Boise area and dedicated to making the Shoulder Clinic the best in the nation. As a graduate of Harvard and graduating 1st in his class in medical school, as well as, serving as a Navy Commander and Associate Professor of surgery, he comes to us as an amazingly humble, caring and professional man and surgeon. He and his staff are the areas best. He performed a reverse shoulder replacement on me with great success. I recommend him as a doctor and exceptional human being.
in Boise, ID |
I was really impressed with Dr. Lynch.and his nurse April Reed. My first visit with him was warm and personable. He showed a genuine concern for me and my care. I felt comfortable and knew I had a great Doctor. The night before my surgery he called me at home to ask if I had any last minute questions and he was looking forward to taking good care of me. I have never had a doctor call me before surgery ever! Once again I knew I had a great doctor. I would highly recommend him to anyone!!!
in Star, ID |
Dr. Lynch and his Staff are the BEST!! He makes sure you understand the issues and options and spends as much time as is needed to answer all your questions. He is extremely qualified and I highly recommend Dr. Lynch to anyone who has shoulder problems. M. Norwood Star ID.
Have you seen Dr. Joseph Lynch, MD?
Are you Dr. Lynch?

See our Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery Specialist at West Valley Medical Center

Visit Dr. Lynch

Evening
Dr. Lynch accepts 20 insurance carriers
  • Altius Health Plans
  • Blue Cross of Idaho
    Blue Cross of Idaho HMO
    Blue Cross of Idaho POS
    Blue Cross of Idaho PPO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Medicare