Dr. Joseph Coney, MD

Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery | Male

Dr. Joseph Coney, MD
Dr. Coney received his BS degree in biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He received his MD degree from Loyola Stritch School of Medicine. He completed his ophthalmology residency at Case Western Reserve University and a medical retina fellowship in diabetic retinopathy at the Joslin Diabetes Clinic of Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Coney also finished a two-year vitreoretinal surgical fellowship at the Vitreoretinal Foundation in Memphis, Tennessee. He was president of both the Cleveland Ophthalmological Society and the Ophthalmology Section of the National Medical Association, and serves as president-elect and executive board member for the Ohio Ophthalmological Society. Dr. Coney is a 2015 Patients' Choice Award winner and was recognized in Castle Connolly's list of America's Top Doctors in Cleveland Magazine. His primary interests include diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, traumatic eye injuries and complex retinal surgeries. He speaks locally, nationally, and internationally about retinal vascular diseases.

Dr. Coney's Experience

See how Dr. Coney's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Coney

Dr. Coney accepts 28 insurance carriers

Dr. Coney is now accepting new patients
Retina Associates Of Cleveland690 White Pond Dr # 120
Akron, OH 44320
Saturday
(330) 869-0738Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Coney has admitting privileges.

Dr. Coney's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Coney to family and friends
Dr. Coney's Performance
in Wadsworth, OH |
I was most impressed with Dr. Coney from my first visit. I have complete confidence in him for treating my macular degeneration. I think he is a very special and competent Doctor.
in Madison, OH |
My eye(s) needed to have a macular hole condition remedied. Dr Coney performed two very successful operations. My right eye is 20/15 with my glasses, and my left is 20/40 but has cataract issues. I am very grateful to Dr. Coney for his surgical skill and expertise and highly recommend him for anyone with retinal issues.
in Akron, OH |
I had an 80% retinal tear in my right eye. I should not even have any vision in that eye. Thanks to Dr. Coney, I do. His knowledge and expertise saved my sight. His staff are polite and professional.
in New Castle, PA |
Had vitrectomy 2 years ago. Went from legally blind in one eye to seeing without glasses. Thanks to Dr. Coney and Lippy Surgery Center. Good service. Would highly recommend.
in Warren, OH |
Dr.Coney closed the hole in my macula on Feb.24th I was legally blind in me left eye. I never expected to see as well as I do, I hoped for better vision,I can now read down to the 4th line on the eye chart, see across the street and my eye is not completely healed as yet. I will recommend Dr. Coney to anyone needing having a problem with their eyes
in Perry, Ohio |
I was lucky enough to be referred to Dr. Coney at Retina Associates for Macular Degeneration. The office received a call from my optometrist and they had me come immediately for care. Dr. Coney and his staff were very professional and made me feel comfortable with the diagnosis. I was anxious and they were very good with explaining just what was happening and how they could help. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Coney and his associates.
Hubbard, OH |
I have the utmost trust in Dr. Coney. I would recommend him to anyone who needs his services.
in Cleveland, OH |
I had to have emergency Retina Surgery and was referred by is associate Dr. Jerome Schartman and was very pleased with the outcome and the recovery. Highly recommend Doctor Coney and Dr. Schartman
in Akron, OH |
I first met Dr. Coney several years ago for emergency retinal surgery I needed in my right eye. I was in panic that day - Dr. Coney settled me down and explained treatment options. He was calming and assuring as he fixed the tear with an aggressive laser approach. I see him annually for a thorough eye exam and he is always professional, thorough, explains things, patient, and will spend as much time as necessary with me to answer questions. It's no wonder he is at the top of his field.
in Chesterland, OH |
Dr. Coney and his staff are superb. I had scar tissue on my retina and Dr. Coney successfully removed the scar tissue. He is very caring and very thorough. His Nurse Practitioner, Michael, is a great asset to the firm. I have told all my friends how grateful to have Dr. Coney as my doctor. Cannot say enough about him and his wonderful staff.
in Youngstown, OH |
I first seen Dr. Coney as a referral from the VA in their Youngstown office about 4 months ago. I had a retinal hole in my left eye, that was really hard to find. I researched his office, & found all good reports; I too, can agree with his high marks of professionalism. He was extremely knowledgeable, very thorough, and set my mind at ease with the best outcome possible, & was the option he would have chosen for himself. He completed laser eye surgery to fix the hole, & no complications at all!!
in Newton Falls,OH |
Dr. Coney was recommended by my eye care doctor about 10 years ago when I began having severe eye problems. My eye sight was almost completely gone in the one eye. Dr. Coney began treating me with injections and later laser procedures. My vision has improved tremendously under Dr. Coney's care. He is a wonderful Doctor and great with his patients.
in Warren Oh |
From day one, Dr. Coney and his staff were top notch; very thorough, professional and easy to work with. My surgery went very well and the follow up convinced me they all bought into my well being.
in conneaut, oh |
A detached retina isn't planned, but when that occurs, you want someone who can perform that delicate surgery with precision. There are many talented ophthalmologists, but in my opinion, none as knowledgeable, capable, and compassionate as Dr. Joseph Coney. I am extremely thankful that the good Lord sent me to Dr. Coney; he most assuredly is one of my medical blessings. Thank you, Dr. Coney.
in Newton Falls, OH |
I was thankful for Dr. Coney and his staff. They saved my eye sight. They made me feel comfortable and answered my questions and explained what was going on with my eye and that the problem was very fixable. Dr. Coney has told me any time I have a problem in the future with this eye just call and they would get me right away.
in Mentor, Ohio |
I went to Dr. Coney for a detached retina surgery. When I went in, I was legally blind in that eye. When all was said and done, my vision was 20/20. My biggest concern was experience and competency, however, his bedside manner was a bonus. He explained exactly what he was going to do and made me feel comfortable the day of surgery. I also found his staff to be very efficient and pleasant to work with. I would definitely go back to him, should I need surgery again, and highly recommend him.
in New Castle PA |
I am very please with the care I got from him and his staff. First class care. I now go in once a year for a check up but have to watch for any changes. I have been a patient of his for 2years
in Cleveland, OH |
Dr. Coney is the best doctor ever! He is knowledgeable and very professional, yet down to earth and friendly. Had to have a laser treatment and he put me at ease and assured me that everything would be okay and it was. I can't speak highly enough of Dr. Coney. Everyone wants him as their doctor. Sitting in the waiting room, everyone was asking who is your doctor? Almost 1/2 or more of the patients said that he was their doctor. So proud to have had him as my doctor and wish him continued success
in Brunswick, OH |
Recently had a macular hole repaired. Dr Coney is very professional, explained my procedure very clearly, made sure all of my concerns and questions were answered. His staff is courteous and friendly. My surgery went even better than I had hoped and my recovery is going faster than he anticipated. I would highly recommend Dr Coney and his office.
in North Benton, OH |
AMAZING !!! Husband had complications when the VA performed cataract surgery in April 2016. His case was transferred to Dr. Coney. On the first visit with Dr. Coney my husband could NOT see a hand in front of his face less than 6 inches away. Everything was dark, he was blind in that eye. Several weeks later Dr. Coney performed surgical repair. We are now at 3 months later and my husband has 20/20 vision in that eye !!!! Wonderful doctor, easy to talk to, miracle worker.
in Bedford, OH |
Detatched retina, next-day surgery, excellent professionalism, very optimistic and very frank.
in Cortland, OH |
I went to see Dr. Coney after a life threatening event in May 2015 which left me legally blind in my left eye.. I am happy to say that after 6 months of being treated, I am no longer legaally blind, and my eyesight is improving. I would like to thank Dr. Coney and his staff. The are friendly and professional. I would highly recommend them to anyone suffering from eye issues.
in Cleveland Heights, OH |
Dr. Coney restored the vision in my right eye after a retinal detachment about 3 years ago. I appreciate the great work he did, and the follow up after the surgery. Professional, thorough, and caring. Highly Recommend.
in Parnam, OH |
Dr. Coney saved the vision in both of my eyes due to macular holes. He explained everything thoroughly. He was good to work with and answered all my questions honestly. Has a wonderful 'patient manner' and is humble considering the outstanding level of work he does. I would highly recommend this doctor. The sooner an eye problem is noticed, the better chance there is of having a successful outcome.
in Akron, OH |
I had a retinal detachment 15 years ago and my ophthalmologist at the time did as good as he could but my vision was horrible in that eye. Since seeing Dr Coney and two surgeries later, I can see better now out of that eye than I can through the good one. To me he is the best thing ever and nothing short of a miracle worker.
in Twinsburg, OH |
Excellent Doctor, Has a great sense of humor, would recommend to any one needing eye care!!!
in Warren, OH |
I can not say enough good things about Dr. Joseph Coney. I have had 2 detached retinas within 2 yrs. and thanks to him I now have 20/20 vision. I have had numerous eye surgeries over a 6 yr period so have been through alot. He has always been very caring and thorough and explains everything to you about your care. He is very professional, courteous and friendly.. I would trust no one else with my eye care and I always look forward to seeing him for my annual check ups!
in Uniontown, OH |
Getting a shot in the eye is never fun, however, I cant imagine going anywhere else to get the superb treatment I get here. From the time I walk in being greeted by Alisha, then having procedures done with Tia, Liz and Pam, I am as calm as I can be by the time I have my shot. As for Doc Coney.....good luck trying to find anyone better. I am extremely grateful to have this entire compassionate team making my visits as relaxed and successful as possible!
in Akron ohio |
Within the last 3 years I have had 2 Detached Retina's. Due to Dr Coney,s swift repairs my eyesight was improved to 20 - 20, without glasses. I am 74 years of age and am delighted with my perfect vision. Dr Coney made this possible. The staff has always been professional.
in Parma, OH |
Diagnosed with a detached left eye retina that was tearing and folding. His surgery on 1/15/16 restored my vision to better than it was before the retina problem. Painless procedure, fast, amazingly efficient. After the procedure and healing began he shared with me how close I was to losing my sight in that eye. I am grateful and fortunate to have had him remedy this problem.
in Girard, Ohio |
Dr. Coney told me exactly what my condition was and how we could correct it. He made me feel at ease and confident that this could happen with very good results. I believe he saved my vision. I would urge anyone to trust his judgement and skills. I am so thankful that I went to him and would recommend him to anyone.
in North Royalton, OH |
I believe Dr. Coney is a excellent Dr., the first time I went to see him I was on my way to Fl. he set me up with a Dr. in Fl. to receive my 1st shot. The Dr. there was just as professional as Dr. Coney. Excellent Drs. enjoy going to see him and feel very comfortable. Feels like family. If you need a great Dr., Dr. Coney is highly recommend him.
Have you seen Dr. Joseph Coney, MD?
Are you Dr. Coney?

Compare Dr. Coney

Dr. Coney says...

Dr. Coney received his BS degree in biology from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  He received his MD degree from Loyola Stritch School of Medicine.  He completed his ophthalmology residency at Case Western Reserve University and a medical retina fellowship in diabetic retinopathy at the Joslin Diabetes Clinic of Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts.  Dr. Coney also finished a two-year vitreoretinal surgical fellowship at the Vitreoretinal Foundation in Memphis, Tennessee.  He was president of both the Cleveland Ophthalmological Society and the Ophthalmology Section of the National Medical Association, and serves as president-elect and executive board member for the Ohio Ophthalmological Society.  Dr. Coney is a 2015 Patients' Choice Award winner and was recognized in Castle Connolly's list of America's Top Doctors in Cleveland Magazine.

His primary interests include diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, traumatic eye injuries and complex retinal surgeries.  He speaks locally, nationally, and internationally about retinal vascular diseases.

Dr. Coney's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery
  •  Board certified in Ophthalmology
  •  Malpractice claims in Ohio not available

Dr. Coney has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

Why It Matters: Dr. Coney's Board Certifications

• Ophthalmology

• Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy
  • Central Serous Chorioretinopathy
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Conjunctival Hemorrhage
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Ischemia
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Telangiectasia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Retinoschisis

Joslin Diabetes Center

Completed in 2004

University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign

Graduated in 1994

Dr. Coney does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Coney and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery

• Retina and Vitreous Surgery
  • Retinal Laser Surgery
  • Retinal Surgery
  • Vitrectomy
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery