Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Joseph Blythe, DO
A fellowship trained Orthopedic Spine Surgeon, Dr. Blythe specializes in minimally invasive surgery. He received his Osteopathic Medical Degree (DO) from Des Moines University in Des Moines, IA. He underwent his orthopedic training in Detroit, MI with Henry Ford Hospitals. He also completed a fellowship in spine surgery with a concentration on minimally invasive techniques through the Spine Institute of Arizona in Scottsdale, AZ. Dr. Blythe focuses on the most innovative surgical options for his patients. His specified training in minimally invasive spine surgery is unique to the Middle Tennessee Area. This additional training allows him to offer the most tissue sparing and anatomy conserving surgical procedures available anywhere. Recently, Dr. Blythe became the first surgeon in Tennessee to use an innovative and minimally invasive technology to treat neck pain. "Each patient's condition is unique and each patient deserves a customized surgical treatment. I refuse to take a cookie-cutter approach to spine surgery." – Dr. Blythe Dr. Blythe is committed to treating each patient with the absolute best care possible. Dr. Blythe has over 25 years of combined military service and currently is a Major in the Air National Guard.

Expert Spine Care, Nashville, TN

1718 Charlotte Ave Charlotte Ave

Nashville, TN 37203

Learn about Dr. Blythe

Dr. Blythe's Experience

Dr. Blythe's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

Dr. Blythe does not have any board certifications listed.

• Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Hand Fracture

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hip Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Rotator Cuff Repair
  • Spine Surgery
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Trigger Finger Release

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• University of Oklahoma
  • Henry Ford Hosp-Mich
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2013
  • Spine Institute Of Arizona
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014

Dr. Blythe has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Blythe has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Blythe does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Blythe and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Blythe's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Blythe to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Blythe's Performance
Nashville, TN |
Dr Blythe performed Minimally invasive surgery, I went home same day, and only about an inch scar. Went from barely being able to walk, before surgery, to walking several miles, just a couple of weeks after. Now, a year and a half after, I have the freedom to be as active as I want, with no pain. I hesitated for a long time before my chiropractor finally referred me to Dr. Blythe. I was so worried about recovery and only heard horror stories about back surgery. Having him perform my surgery.
in Clarksville, TN |
Dr Blythe performed an OLIF L4/L5 on me 7/20. He explained the procedure thoroughly and confidently. He eased any apprehension I had going into this surgery. The outcome was textbook and I am very pleased with his care and skill! I was up moving the afternoon of the day of surgery! By 2 weeks I was walking 2 miles. And a text 4 weeks - I am sore and tired at times but mostly feel back to normal. The pain and problems I went in with are completely gone! I would recommend Dr Blythe to everyone!
Mount Juliet |
Wonderful and caring doctor. He was very caring and explained my test results and even showed me what was showing. He did neck surgery on me and did a great job. Would recommend him to anyone looking for a gifted surgeon.
in Nashville, TN |
Dr. Blythe performed surgery on my husband mid-June 2017. As of today (8/9/2017) Don is on his way to a normal life again. The staff in his office are exceptional, always friendly, cheerful and ready to help at any time. Could not have had better care and treatment. We will always recommend this surgeon to anyone. Thanks for making our retirement years more comfortable for us!
in Whiteville, TN |
My wife was seen by Dr. Blythe for what we suspected was an issue with her lower back, sfter a thorough exam Dr. Blythe determined she had a fractured hip. He did an excellent job of reassuring us and getting our surgery scheduled very quickly. We have a great amount of respect and trust in Dr. Blythe and have and will continue to refer to him.
I knew my case was complicated but said he could help at least a huge relief! vein in my abdomen cut, blood transfusions, aspirtstion. I called about the severe pain. What he did not tell me 1month after surgery an x-ray read, a projection, progressive collapse of the superior endplates. We seen him at Christmas , he felt I had nerves compressed, a gentic defect. Told me to call, would bore a hole to released. Not one returned call! All I got was a bill a year later! Severely disable now!
in Greenback, TN |
After years of increasing back and leg pain, and consultations with two other specialists, Dr. Blythe had a diagnosis and plan of care promptly for me. Since I had already been through 18 months of non surgical treatments without any significant relief, he recommended minimally invasive surgical intervention to correct and resolve the cause of my distress. I am now 5 weeks post surgery and am 100% pain free. It has been a miracle. Dr. Blythe did a GREAT job!
Clarksville, TN |
I had C6-7 cervical disc replaced with the Mobi-C artificial disc. Surgery recovery was a breeze. 2 days of pain meds. Other than taking it easy, after a week I am back to normal activity. Should have done this a year ago. I highly recommend paying Dr. Blythe a visit.
in Nashville, TN |
I had a fractured ankle and needed surgery. Dr Blythe cares a great deal about his patients. I would recommend him to family and friends without hesitation.
I would definitely recommend Dr. Blythe as a surgeon to those needing help for back dysfunction. He was very attentive throughout my appointments, and he always made sure I understood what I was getting into before the procedure. Great surgeon and nice sense of character.
in Murfreesboro, TN |
I would absolutely Recommend Dr. Blythe to family and friends. He is tough, straight forward while being a strong Christian man. My PCP referred me to a pain clinic and when I saw Dr. Blythe for the first time he said they had to go if he were to help me. We devised a plan and I got down to 7.5 mg of oxycodone 3 times a day. At that time, he scheduled me for surgery. I am recovering and have a ways to go but I will get there with his help. Don't be afraid to make that call.
Great doctor. I would recommend him to friends who needed help with back issues. Good person.
in Murfreesboro, TN |
Great doctor. Christian, down to earth surgeon. Gives tough love when needed and is there for you. He was a blessing and really answered our prayers.
in Nashville, TN |
I liked Dr. Blythe. He was good and straight forward. I would recommend him and I already have. I am better and starting to get back to my usual daily activities, and that is awesome.
Get a second opinion. Close minded, only his way, even if the hospital thinks he is insane. Knows what he does, but doesn't accept not all outcomes are great, please don't blame it on the patient. Refuses after having major surgery, which he calls invasive. Moving organs, drilling, cages, with refusal of pain meds. If more humble instead of trying quickly to build a name, can back fire quickly with failed results.
Spring Hill |
For at least a year, I had a pain where I couldn’t sit for long periods of time. Car rides were miserable, and it kept me from sleeping. I underwent a 3 level XLIF. Two surgeries back to back on Thursday and Friday, went home on Sunday. I feel a lot better. I'm active now and even walked out of the hospital. Physical therapy exercises had me doing planks, and that was awesome after a few weeks post-op. I like Dr. Blythe. He is straight to the point. I would definitely recommend him.
in Florence, AL |
For the last 3+ yrs I have dealt with on-going pain & negative health issues, especially lower back pain.I saw every kind of health care professional I could see (MD, Neurologist, Chiropractor, Acupuncture, Physical & Message Therapy, Homeopathic). I was reliant on narcotic pain & anti-inflammatory meds. No Dr seemed to have a clear idea of my problem.Dr. Blythe quickly diagnosed my problem & recommended surgery. Now my pain levels are vastly reduced.God Bless Dr. Blythe and his wonderful staff!
Nashville, TN |
I found Dr Blythe to be very thorough and comforting. He took a great deal of time to explain my back issues and what he thought was absolutely needed to repair my back. I was quite comfortable with his diagnosis and recommended treatment. I have never had surgery before but Dr Blythe made me feel very comfortable and visited me before the surgery and post surgery. I am quite happy with his services and highly recommend him
in Nashville, TN |
I had a motorcycle accident where I suffered with tissue pain and swelling, several broken bones in my foot as well as a Lisfranc fracture. Even though Dr. Blythe is an orthopedic spine specialist, he agreed to operate on my foot. I have since had the procedure and my foot is healing better than expected. I am very grateful for the Dr. Blythe's experience and the excellent care that I received and the care that he continue's to give.
in Charlotte, TN |
I was informed by my doctor that I needed a surgeon immediately, I asked him for the best. My doctor referred me to Dr. Blythe who eased my fears of having back surgery, as he took the time to visit with me and to provide me with the info I needed. Dr. Blythe was able to get me into surgery the next day and I woke up pain free. I must remember to thank my doctor for referring me to Dr. Blythe, as he is the best.
in McKenzie, TN |
I had a herniated lumbar disc pressing on my spinal cord causing a great deal of pain when standing, walking, and sitting. Dr. Blythe performed a lumbar microdiscectomy. The pain I had been experiencing in my leg and foot were immediately relieved. Any pain from the surgery and medication usage were at a minimum. I went back to work exactly one week to the day post op. Look no further for high quality or innovative spinal care.
in Hackleburg,Mia AL |
I was doing physical therapy And I felt something was wrong and it just kept getting worst so I went back to my doctor and found that all my hardware had come lose so he referred me to Dr Blythe he did a bone density he found that I have osteoporosis he took every percaution to help strengthen my bones for surgery,I know if not for him I would be be bedfast by now I wasn't able to enjoy my grandchildren,I am now 3mo. Out and going to the gym and driving I can never thank him enough, He is great
in Fairview,TN |
I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Blythe he is the Spine Expert! I had been in terrible pain with neck, shoulder, arm. Had my consultation with Dr. Blythe, we scheduled my surgery then at second appointment he explained everything to my husband and me. He takes the time to answer all your questions. His entire staff is courteous, and helpful and will take care of you. I can't say enough good things. Long story short I had my minimally invasive surgery and now am back to my life pain free.
in Hohenwald . Tn. |
He was rude, acted ill @ me due to not knowing when surgeons did certain did certain things to my spine. I tried to do things he asked during exam he acted frustrated due to be not being able to do it. He was rough handling my legs & raising his voice for md to raise toes & foot when I was trying to do it. He put down the kind of insurance I had. All I wanted was to have the X-ray of me sitting to see why it kills my back to sit & he never suggested it.
in Harrison, TN |
Dr. Blythe did surgery on my husband's back. We traveled all the way from Harrison,Tennessee to Nashville,Tennessee to have the surgery. Dr. Blythe has a good bedside manner and is very thorough. My husband was feeling better right after the back surgery. He is very happy with the experience. No more back pain!
in Springhill Tn. |
I had neck pain so bad .numbness, tingling swelling.l heard about Dr.Blythe and it was the best experience I ever had. Dr. Blythe listens to you ,he ask questions and explained what was going to do,great beside manner. If you are going through neck and back pain I recommend Dr. Blythe.you can't and want go wrong.
He's amazing. Takes extremely care of his patients!! He's the best.
Have you seen Dr. Joseph Blythe, DO?
Are you Dr. Blythe?

See our Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialist at TriStar Skyline Medical Center

Visit Dr. Blythe