Dr. Joseph Barker, MD

Dr. Joseph Barker, MD

Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Joseph Barker, MD is a sports medicine doctor who practices in Raleigh, NC. He is 39 years old and has been practicing for 13 years.

3001 Edwards Mill Rd

Raleigh, NC 27612

• Coventry Healthcare of the Carolinas

Learn about Dr. Barker

Dr. Barker's Experience

Dr. Barker's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine

• Shoulder Dislocation

• Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair
  • Glenoid Labrum Repair
  • Knee Cartilage Repair

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

• Wake Forest University

• Surgeon-In-Chief Award from Hospital for Special Surgery, 2008
  • Howard Hughes Research Scholarship, 2002
  • Awarded $12,500 AANA Research Grant, 2010
  • Sullivan Scholarship for Outstanding Biology Research, 1999
  • The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Award for Basic Science Research, 2011
  • Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society, 1999
  • Valedictorian of Asheville High School, 1996
  • Full Tuition Academic Scholarship to Duke University School of Medicine, 2000
  • Wake Forest University Award for Excellence in Chemistry, 1997
  • Management of Proximal Humerus Fractures Based on Current Literature., 2007
  • Osteoarthritis of the ACL Deficient Knee: Epidemiology, Biomechanics, and the Effects on the Meniscus and Articular Cartilage., 2011
  • Innovations in the Management of Displaced Proximal Humerus Fractures., 2007
  • The Role of Growth Factors in Cartilage Repair, 2011
  • Updates on the Surgical Management of Patellar Instability., 2010
  • The Incidence of Post-Operative Infection in ACL Reconstruction., 2010
  • Efficacy of an Aiming Device for the Placement of Distal Interlocking Screws in Trochanteric Fixation Nailing., 2008
  • Can Anatomic Femoral Tunnel Placement Be Achieved Using a Transtibial Technique for Hamstring Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction?, 2011
  • Outcomes of Length Stable Fixation of Femoral Neck Fractures., 2010
  • Osteochondral Allografts in the Treatment of Shoulder Pathology: Basic Science and Clinical Applications., 2011
  • Extra-Articular Mimickers of Lateral Meniscus Tears, 2011
  • The Importance of Medial Support in Locked Plating of Proximal Humerus Fractures., 2007
  • Anatomy and Dimensions of the Gluteus Medius Tendon Insertion., 2008
  • Addition of Nitric Oxide Donor S-Nitroso-N-Acetylcysteine to Selective iNOS Inhibitor 1400W Further Improves Contractile Function in Reperfused Skeletal Muscle., 2005
  • The Effect of Fiber Type Heterogeneity on Optimized Work and Power Output of Hindlimb Muscles of the Salamander Ambystoma tigrinum., 2002
  • Augmentation Methods Following Microfracture in the Management of Focal Cartilage Defects., 2010
  • The Arthroscopic Management of Partial-Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears: A Systematic Review of the Literature., 2011
  • Glenohumeral Arthritis in the Young Adult: Instructional Course Lecture., 2011
  • Complete Bony Union achieved after Arthrodesis of Native Glenoid and Acromion to an Osteoarticular Allograft Proximal Humerus, 2008
  • Effect of Donor Age on Bone Mineral Density in Irradiated Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Allografts of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament., 2011
  • Functional and Radiographic Outcomes of Inter-Trochanteric Hip Fractures Treated with Calcar Reduction, Compression and Trochanteric Entry Nailing, 2011
  • Effective Glenoid Version in Professional Baseball Players., 2010
  • Anatomy of the Greater Trochanteric Bald Spot: A Potential Portal for Abductor Sparing Femoral Nailing?, 2008
  • The Evaluation and Management of Failed Distal Clavicle Excision., 2010
  • An Evaluation of Accuracy and Repeatability of a Novel Gait Analysis Device., 2007
  • The Basic Science and Clinical Applications of Osteochondral Allografts., 2010

Dr. Barker does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Barker and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Barker's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Barker to family and friends
Dr. Barker's Performance
in Angier, NC |
Dr. Barker and staff are excellent.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr. Barker is an excellent surgeon and I would recommend him to anyone with shoulder pain. He performed rotator cuff repair surgery on me twice and I have had an excellent outcome both times. He explains options well and answers questions thoroughly. The entire office staff is professional and courteous. I highly recommend Raleigh Orthopedic Clinic and Raleigh Orthopedic Surgery Center.
Holly Springs, N |
I had a great experience with Dr. Barker....he really is passionate about what he does and you can tell he truly cares about his patients. I feel very lucky I had him as my shoulder surgeon.
in Raleigh, NC |
Raleigh orthopedic clinic functions like a surgery factory. You are in and out and everyone seems like they are in a hurry and are focused on patient turnover rather than patient care. Dr. Barker is very quick and he speaks very fast. I think he is a good surgeon but my overall experience at the clinic has been absolutely awful and therefore I cannot recommend him.
Raleigh, NC |
He is a great wonderful doctor and I would recommend him to anybody.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr. Barker is a fantastic doctor and surgeon. I believe very strongly that my progress and success following the surgery is very much because of the stand-up job he did on my knee.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr. Barker is extremely easy to talk to and has a wonderful personality. Any questions I had (and I had many), he gave me "easy to understand" answers. I was confident in his ability to perform my surgery as he broke down the procedure he would be performing on my shoulder. I also loved the before and after pictures!!!
in Coats, NC |
I felt like Dr. Barker and his staff had my best interest in mind. They were kind and courteous. This was my first surgery to repair joint damage, but have been very satisfied with the results. Recovery time was less than expected, and I am far better now than before.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr Barker takes time to explain the problem and the options for resolving it. His expertise is great.
in Rolesville, NC |
Dr. Barker was professional, courteous and explained all aspects of the surgery and what to expect afterwards with rehab. Surgery for a pectoralis major repair was a complete success along with the outpatient therapy clinic he recommended (Holt Physical Therapy). Minimal complaints throughout the process.
Raleigh, NC |
Spot on the issue and avoided a previously recommended surgery from another provider.
in Clayton, NC |
We have seen him on 2 different occasions and the last one being she had to have surgery on her ACL. Dr. Barker was awesome and so was his staff. Any time we had a question or something happen during the recovery time they took the time to see and help her. I would recommend Dr. Barker and his staff to anyone.
in Moncure, NC |
Dr. Barker diagnosed FAI in my left hip and offered me several options for treatment. We ended up with surgery which has been very successful. My mobility in my hip is better than my right and my pain is much less while still recovering. I would recommend Dr. Barker to anyone and hip arthroscopic surgery as well.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr. Barker is very knowledgeable and understanding of the patient's need. He takes the time to explain all procedures and is dedicated to the best care.
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr. Barker is just the kind of doctor one could ask for, with an excellent team, and awesome surgical skills.
in Raleigh, NC |
I really liked his systematic approach to diagnosing my problem, since my pain was not obvious to the real problem. He offered additional therapies to speed my recovery. He's been a real pleasure to work with.
in Raleigh, NC |
Excellent surgeon! Caring, kind, honest and highly competent. Not an arrogant bone in his body.
in Raleigh, NC |
For five years I had been experiencing severe pain in my hips and fortunately came across Dr. Barker to relieve me from that. He performed a hip arthroscopy on my right side last February and I could not be more pleased with the treatment and overall results I received. Definitely recommend.
He was clear, concise, and kind. Explained diagnosis, answered all questions, and calmed nerves too. He's clearly good at what he does.
in Clayton NC |
Saw Dr Barker for hip pain. I had been suffering from it for a couple of years and had seen other doctors. Somewhere down the road I will need a hip replacement. Dr Barker gave me a shot of cortisone and the relief was immediate! And it was less painful than a blood test. I definitely have trust issues with doctors because of past experience but I have no reservations about recommending Dr. Barker
Have you seen Dr. Joseph Barker, MD?
Are you Dr. Barker?