Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Jose Martinez, MD
I believe world class retina care requires five components. 1. Constant acquisition of "state of the art" medical and surgical knowledge. 2. Prudent clinical judgment in applying the acquired knowledge to improve visual outcomes. 3. Clinical research that pushes medical science forward to the benefit of all. 4. Deploying advanced technology for improved diagnostic precision and therapeutic outcomes. 5. Treating everyone with respect and dignity. Please visit our website at to learn more about me personally. Thank you, JAM

801 W 38th St Ste 200

Austin, TX 78705

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Principal Life
  • Thrivent Financial
  • USI Affinity

Learn about Dr. Martinez

I believe world class retina care starts with updated medical and surgical knowledge complimented by great clinical judgment to ensure the best visual outcomes.  This medical treatment is delivered with the most advanced diagnostic and therapeutic technology in a friendly, efficient, patient-centered environment that understands great care requires a highly integrated team approach comprised of great people.

Dr. Martinez's Experience

Dr. Martinez's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Ophthalmology

• Chorioretinitis
  • Chronic Endophthalmitis
  • Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Ischemia
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Telangiectasia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Retinoschisis

• Iridectomy
  • Paracentesis of Anterior Eye
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Scleral Buckling
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

• Emory University School of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1992
  • Bascom Palmer Eye Inst University Miami
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1995

Dr. Martinez has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Martinez does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Martinez and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Martinez's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Martinez to family and friends
Dr. Martinez Says:

Thanks for helping us be the "best in class" by taking the time to rate and review us.

JAM

Dr. Martinez's Performance
Spring Branch, TX |
I had my annual retina checkup with Dr. Martinez this morning. I have been seeing him for about 5 years, always a good experience but typically taking over 2 hours due to all the tests and various steps involved. Today was exceptionally fast - 45 minutes in and out! I was amazed. The Austin Retina staff has been working to be more efficient and their efforts have really paid off. Good news for me too - everything was stable and "come back in a year." Thanks Dr. Martinez and staff!
in Austin, TX |
Polite, welcoming, highly professional staff, and the excellent, personal treatment performed by Dr Martinez. He has saved my vision!! What more can you ask, really? 5 stars all day long!
in Kyle, TX |
I can not say enough about the incredible care I have been given from Dr. Martinez and his staff. It is extremely difficult when you think you are losing your site but Dr. Martinez's skill and encouragement made my procedures successful and bearable. I highly recommend Dr. Martinez for any retina concerns you may have...you will not be disappointed.
in Lakeway, TX |
I would like to say something about Dr. Jose Martinez and his staff at Austin Retina: I suffered from severe retinal issues due to my diabetes II (I am 65.)when I first came to Dr. Martinez. Thanks to his kind, patient, and extremely professional treatment and staff, I am now seeing clearly and feeling well. I recommend him most highly. Chris Martin / Lakeway, TX
in Austin, TX |
I've been seeing Dr. Martinez since 2009 and I would not see anyone else when it comes to my eyes. Dr. Martinez is patient and extremely knowledgeable. I greatly value the relationship that he has with me and always feel that Dr. Martinez has my best interests at heart. If you want the best, you must visit Dr. Martinez.
in Austin, Texas |
I have had an outstanding experience ! His sincere caring interest is rarely encountered in today's world. Also, He Is Gentle As A Lamb when it comes to treatment. THANK YOU DR. MARTINEZ. I am grateful for your help . Regards, Rick Carson. ( I highly recommend him ).
in Austin, TX |
my treatment involves an eye injection every 3 months to stabilize the macular degeneration. I trust dr Martinez to do the job right and with zero pain. His office staff is attentive and helpful in following through on billing and insurance concerns. They helped me find resources to assist with expensive injection medicine not covered by my insurance in the past. No office has ever done that before for me and I really appreciated the help
in Liberty Hill, TX |
I was very nervous and stressed about my eye situation. Dr. Martinez and staff put me at ease right away. The surgery was a success and my eye sight restored. I can't recommend him enough!
in Marble Falls, TX |
Because of his down to earth professional approach and the patience he exercises during all office visits and scheduled surgery, Dr. Martinez has created a level of comfort for all his patients which for most us would otherwise, be an uncomfortable experience. I have already concluded that he is a darn good doctor too.
in Austin, TX |
One of my favorite Doctors.
in San Marcos, TX |
I was terrified of getting an injection in my eye due to wet macular degeneration. Dr. Martinez is so kind and reassuring,that I don't mind when the time comes around for another injection. He and his staff are the best.
in Austin, TX |
The best news I have ever gotten was when Dr Martinez said I believe you will regain all of the vision you have lost. After having trouble with an opthamogist diagnosis and loosing vision fast, it was such a relief to find out what was causing my vision loss and getting into the hospital for my vision saving treatment. Every doctor I told that Dr. Martinez was my Retina Specialist told me how lucky I was to have the Best taking care of me. I agree.
in Round Rock, TX |
Excellent Doctor and Staff. very courtesy-very concerned about your condition- your recovery-I would highly recommend -- James Grimm
in Austin, TX |
Summer of '04 I woke up legally blind. Numerous ophthalmologists later, I wound up being referred to Dr. Martinez; my saving grace. I was 14 at the time and battling for my vision - a truly nightmarish situation. The moment that I met Dr. Martinez, all of it seemed better. He is such a professional, and such a caring person. You know that feeling you get when you meet a truly genuine, good-spirited, individual? That's what you get with Dr. Martinez. He loves his patients and what he does.
in Austin, TX |
On Labor Day weekend 2005 my vision was disappearing. I went to the hospital and they contacted Dr. Martinez who was the on-call ophthalmologist. Dr. Martinez had me meet him at his office on 38th St, Austin Retina. He opened the building for me since it was a Saturday. He examined my eyes and put me on some medicine. In a couple of days, my vision improved. It is 2016 and Dr. Martinez is still my eye specialist, he manages my eye disease, Harada's Syndrome. He beyond excellent!!
in Austin, TX |
My husband Leo & I felt we were in capable and caring hands. After 10 years of Leo being unable to see and get around without constant help he is now mobil and is not looking back. Our quality of life has been restored since after the surgery performed by Dr. Jose Martinez at Austin Retina Associates. We are not only thankful for the results but the manner in which we were treated from beginning to end. The follow care is exceptional! It is awesome to be treated by a doctor that genuinely cares.
in Dripping Springs |
Dr Martinez saw me on an emergency basis for a detached retina. He and his staff have been nothing but professional and caring through this process. I have excellent results and highly recommend Dr Martinez.
in Austin, TX |
I lost my sight in my right eye because of diabetic retinopathy. I went in on a Wednesday for an evaluation. Dr. Martinez was very reassuring and told me I would have my sight back. Surgery the next day and follow-up the day after that. That Friday, I walked out of his office with my sight back. When it is your turn to see him, he will provide five-star customer service.
in Austin, TX |
I have been under the care of Dr. Jose Martinez for over ten years. I was diagnosed with a type of eye disease which is very serious and difficult to manage. While under Dr Martinez's care my vision, stress level and overall confidence that my condition can be successfully treated has greatly improved. The possibility of losing one's eyesight or experiencing it deteriorate is a terrifying prospect, however Dr Martinez and his staff have made my experience so much less painful and stressful.
in Austin, TX |
I have absolute confidence in everything that Dr. Martinez does in the treatment of my Macular Degeneration. This is such a devastating disease and the treatment that I have received from him and the results thus far have been so much more than I ever hoped for or expected. I hope to continue with him for many very successful years.
in Elgin, TX |
Dr. Martinez is extremely knowledgeable and up-to-date on the current procedures and trends in the area of eye care. He is easy to talk to and takes the time to explain what is happening in the eyes and what procedure is needed and he does this in laymen terms that the patient can understand. Dr. Martinez also is proactive in his treatment methods, using all tools available to him. I would highly recommend Dr. Martinez and Austin Retina Associates to anyone with the highest degree of confidence.
in Austin, TX |
I am 86 years old and have had age-related macular degeneration for about 16 years; I have been a patient of Dr. Martinez since i moved to Austin in 2006. He has taken very good care of me and I am very grateful that I am still able to see and take care of my self.
in Leoti, KSM |
I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Martinez and his staff. Each of the staff was friendly, kind, and competent. They worked as a team. Dr. Martinez has a manner which brings about confidence. He explained what he needed to do and why. The 24/7 help line for concerns and questions was comforting. I had surgery for a detached retina. I am grateful my sight was saved.
in Austin,Texas |
He's very friendly and gets to know you but mostly he's very good at what he does. He explains things clearly and if you have questions he adresses them. He's very gentle if you need shots and I always have good results. I recommend him highly.
in Georgetown, TX |
Dr. Martinez operated on my eye for a macular hole in my retina. The entire experience could not have gone any better than it did. I would recommend Dr. Martinez and his staff without reservation.
Dr. Martinez and his staff are The BEST!
in Smithville, TX |
Caring professional staff. We have been going to Dr. Martinez for approximately 20 years.
in Austin, TX |
I have been a patient of Dr. Martinez since 2005, He has helped me maintain my eye sight with injections. I have 2 blind brothers, and a blind sister from Macular Degeneration. At the time they lost their sight because their was no treatment for this condition. My experience with Dr. Martinez has been excellent. .
in Austin, TX |
Dr Martinez has been treating my husband for Macular Degeneration since 2005. My husband has 2 blind brothers, and a blind sister, they did not receive treatment in time to save their sight. At this time we owe Dr Martinez for maintaining his vision.
in Austin, Texas |
A very caring and professional staff, a comfortable friendly waiting area, and a choice of locations make Austin Retina the choice for me. Dr. Martinez is very knowledgable yet friendly, he always makes time to talk about the procedure and any concerns I have. He also is quick with a hand shake and s smile and greets me by name. I would recommend him and his staff to anyone who is having issues with their eyes.
in Georgetown, Texas |
Current, competent, caring and professional, Dr. Martinez is an outstanding Doctor. I have been fortunate to have been under his excellent care for about five years.
Even though his practice seemingly sees gazillions of patients daily, Dr. Martinez and his staff are super efficient and as warm and caring as can be. In the past few months, the doctor has implemented a new system for seeing and treating patients that has dramatically cut the amount of time you spend at each appointment. My husband's been a patient of Dr. M for several years now, and we're very happy with his care.
in Austin, TX |
I've been visiting this office for 15 years and have consistently had a great experience both with the doctors and the staff. I was struck with a very rare eye disease at a young age and shopped around Austin, Houston and Dallas for the best doctors. I made a final decision to work with Dr. Martinez and I have not once regretted. He embodies everything I hope to have in a physician; expertise, compassion and friendliness. I strongly recommend his services.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Martinez is extremely personable, knowledgeable, and professional. He listened to my history and quickly diagnosed my problem. He came up with an effective treatment plan and worked around my [very bizarre] schedule to get the procedure done as quickly as possible. I'm completely symptom free now and would definitely recommend Dr. Martinez to family and friends.
in Eddy, TX |
Dr. Martinez is very kind and professional. He answers all questions in a way that can be easily understood. I would not go to anyone else for my retina care.
in Austin, TX |
I have been a patient of Dr. Martinez since I moved to Austin in 1993. He has successfully treated multiple issues for me over the years. I continue to return yearly for my annual check-ups and have referred him to many of my family & friends.
in La Grange, TX |
I Had a upsetting experience with another doctor from whom I was receiving eye injections for M,Degeneration. A family fried referred me to Dr. Jose Martinez. He is very professional, charming, and empathetic
Have you seen Dr. Jose Martinez, MD?
Are you Dr. Martinez?