Dr. Jonathon Backus, MD

Dr. Jonathon Backus, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Backus is an Orthopedic Surgeon and is fellowship-trained in foot and ankle surgery with a sports emphasis. He is an avid sports-lover and enjoys treating individuals with a passion for being active. He has participated in the care of everyone from weekend warriors to Olympians and professional athletes. He is currently a US Ski Team physician and previously assisted with physician coverage to the (former) St. Louis Rams football and Blues hockey teams during residency at Washington University in St. Louis. Dr. Backus is also passionate about research and currently collaborates with the Steadman Philippon Research Institute in Vail, CO. He has been involved in many orthopedic research studies over the course of his education and has been published in a number of orthopedic journals. He has also presented his research at the Orthopaedic Trauma Association, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Annual meetings. Prior to attending medical school, he was awarded a Cancer Research Training Fellowship at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD. During medical school at Duke University, he spent a year researching post-traumatic arthritis and during fellowship, his research interests included Achilles tendon ruptures, lateral ligament tears and syndesmotic injuries. He continues to conduct research because he enjoys contributing to orthopaedic advancement and improving the quality of patient care. Dr. Backus chose to specialize in foot and ankle because of its complexity. He completed his fellowship training with Dr. Thomas Clanton at the Steadman Clinic in Vail, CO. During his fellowship, he had extensive exposure to athletes at every level and broad experience with many complicated foot and ankle conditions. He also fell in love with Colorado during his fellowship training and is grateful for the opportunity to continue to practice here. When he's not in the operating room or clinic, Dr. Backus enjoys spending time with his wife and children, skiing, hiking, fly-fishing, scuba diving and traveling.

80 Health Park Dr

Louisville, CO 80027

• Cofinity
  • Health Net
  • Principal Financial Group

Learn about Dr. Backus

See how frequently Dr. Backus performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Foot and Ankle Ligament and Tendon Repair
high

Dr. Backus's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Backus "Dr. Backus prides himself on being a surgeon who listens intently to his patients. His philosophy is that no two patients and no two injuries are exactly alike, and personalized care is critical for the best possible recovery. He takes great pride in helping patients at all activity levels get better and back to the pursuits they enjoy as quickly and safely as possible. Because of this, he also believes in utilizing the least invasive surgical approach for every patient when indicated. His clinical interests include: Ankle Arthroscopy, Ankle impingement, Osteochondral lesions of the Talus and Tibial Plafond, lateral ligament injuries, Peroneal tendon injuries, Syndesmotic injuries, Achilles ruptures, total ankle replacement, flatfoot deformities, cavus foot deformities, forefoot deformity, and lower extremity trauma."

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

Dr. Backus does not have any board certifications listed.

• Ankle Fracture
  • Ankle and Foot Instability or Derangement
  • Foot Fracture
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)

• Ankle Arthroscopy
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Foot and Ankle Ligament and Tendon Repair
  • Knee Surgery
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open

No malpractice history found for Colorado.

• Kings College London / School Of Medicine
  • Washington University In St Louis School Of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2015
  • Steadman-Hawkins Clinic
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2016

Dr. Backus has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Backus has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Backus does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Backus and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Backus' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Backus to family and friends
Dr. Backus' Performance
in Wheat Ridge, CO |
I highly recommend Dr. Backus. the quality of care was exceptional, he is extremely knowledgeable, caring, proffesional and down to earth. I came to him with a very serious ankle injury, and was in his care throughout surgery and for post op visits as well. I never questioned that the quality of care was top notch.
in Arvada, CO |
I'm 42 and tore my tibio fibular ligament skiing. I was unaware of the degree of my injury but the swelling was a concern so I made an appointment with Dr. Backus. Upon exam he diagnosed the tear. Dr. Backus was great throughout the process. I felt like he gave me advice as if we were friends and he certainly had my best interest in mind. The surgery went great and now I have no pain stiffness or discomfort in any way. Not even swelling! I'm honestly amazed and thankful it ended so well.
in Denver, CO |
Dr. Backus is an outstanding surgeon. He has a wonderful bedside manner and really takes interest in the patient and their recovery. My daughter was treated by him as a college athlete and he provided the very best treatment possible to her to help her return to the field. We felt very comfortable with the entire process because of Dr. Backus and his team. We felt very fortunate that we found Dr. Backus and would highly recommend him. Outstanding surgeon and physician-one in a million!!
in Denver, CO |
I injured my foot this past season and was lucky enough to come across Dr. Backus. He went through the whole process with me (I had two surgeries with him.) I cannot say enough great things about Dr. Backus, he explained everything about my injury as well as the plan to fix my foot without any confusion. He was easy to contact throughout the whole process, and it was clear the passion he has for his work. I felt completely safe going into surgery with him and wouldn't have wanted anyone else.
in Golden, CO |
Dr. Backus, assistant Hillery Magness and Cornerstone Wheatridge Physical Therapist Elena were nothing short of perfect! After fibula surgery necessary from a horse kick (a plate and 8 screws), I knew that I had found what I wanted in a surgeon, assistant and therapist... assertive, sports medicine-oriented rehab for the quickest, most thorough recovery possible. Two months later, I have no pain.... still a little swelling which is to be expected. Back in my yoga classes, riding my horse, etc.
Denver, CO |
Dr. Backus installed two metal plates and 10 screws in my ankle. He was compassionate and patient when listening to my questions and concerns and he was honest and straightforward with his answers. I appreciate his surgical skill and human bedside manner - I was not just a number to him. The office staff was great and the physical therapy right next door was very convenient. Kudos to Dr. Backus and to Cornerstone Orthopedics & Sports Medicine. I highly recommend Dr. Backus!
Broomfield, CO |
I saw Dr. Backus after breaking my ankle while ice skating. Unfortunately the ER doctor did not do a great job setting my break in the emergency room, so Dr. Backus and his team had to reset my ankle in his office. Dr. Backus made me comfortable and even got me to laughing through the procedure. He performed surgery a few days later and took the time to personally update my husband. My recovery has been remarkable and I was back to normal activity in record time. I would highly recommend him!
in Westminster, CO |
From day one, to my final visit, Dr. Backus has been nothing short of extraordinary. He answered every question I had from the get go with confidence and honesty. I never once felt like I needed clarification, as he was alway concise. I can't tell you how much easier he made going through an Achilles rupture repair. Said injury occurred 10/4/16. Surgery on 10/10/16. Today is 4/6/17 and I've been fully cleared. < 6 months recovery. That speaks for itself. Dr. Backus and staff are a bonus.
Lafayette, CO |
My dad broke his ankle right a few days before Christmas and Dr Backus got him in right away to be seen. Surgery, unfortunately, was delayed for a couple weeks by the holidays but he got him scheduled as soon after the New Year as possible. Surgery went well and Dr Backus and his team communicated with us the entire time. While he had a few bumps during his recovery, Dr Backus took it slow and took his activity level prior to the injury into consideration. He is now up and about doing well.
in Wheat Ridge, CO |
I had seen multiple doctors over the course of the last year regarding the constant pain in my foot. I went to PT twice a week for 8 months and changed up my orthopedic shoe inserts. Surgery was my final option and Dr. Backus spent at least an hour with me, reviewing my options. The final decision was a minor surgery and everything went wonderfully! His bedside manner is excellent and I was completely confident in his abilities. In a very short period of time, I was back to running pain free!
Wheat Ridge, CO |
Amazing! Direct, kind, talented. His work on my husbands broken ankle was equisite!
Arvada, CO |
I had never had any major health issues but in August of 2016, I fell down the stairs and ended up needing a full ankle reconstruction surgery. Dr. Backus was recommended by another surgeon who first treated my injury. I was very surprised with how efficient the process was, from first visit to surgery. I was scheduled right away. But the most important thing for me was 1. the short recovery time and 2. the fact that I have absolutely no pain! Surgery was 3 months ago and I am back running!
Englewood, CO |
Expert orthopedic care. Recovered earlier than normal schedule. Great PT available.
Have you seen Dr. Jonathon Backus, MD?
Are you Dr. Backus?