General Surgery  |
Dr. Jonathan Yunis, MD
Dr Yunis grew up as the son of a prominent physician, Stuart L Yunis MD, in Long Island, New York. He had early exposure to the importance of education, expertise and high ethical standards in medicine and surgery. His education and surgical experience is extensive. Despite early and persistent interest in hernia surgery, Dr Yunis spend much of his early career as a vascular surgeon. He performed vascular bypass surgery, aortic reconstruction for aneurysm and occlusive disease, and carotid endarterectomy. These skills as a vascular surgeon have enhanced his performance in hernia surgery and abdominal wall reconstruction.

1435 S Osprey Ave Ste 201

Sarasota, FL 34239

Dr. Jonathan Yunis, MD

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Learn about Dr. Yunis

My practice is dedicated to hernia repair and abdominal wall reconstruction. We emphasize a customized approach in order to provide comfortable and durable outcomes.

Dr. Yunis' Experience

Dr. Yunis' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in General Surgery

• Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Ventral Herniorrhaphy

• Vassar College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1981
  • Suny Upstate Medical University (Syracuse)
    Medical School | Graduated 1985
  • SUNY Stony Brook U Hosp
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1986
  • State University of New York / Health Science Center At Stony Brook
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1990
  • State University of New York / Health Science Center At Stony Brook
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992

• Physicians Excel Award, July 2005

Dr. Yunis has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Yunis does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Yunis and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Yunis' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Yunis to family and friends
Dr. Yunis' Performance
Port Jefferson, NY |
Dr Yunis is a caring and highly skilled hernia surgeon! I felt always that I was in good hands.....couldn't be more pleased with the entire experience.
Bradenton, FL |
Fantastic surgeon would recommend highly
in North Port, FL |
After two trips to area emergency rooms with excruciating pain and no real diagnosis, followed by a sigmoidoscopy by my gastroenterologist, a cystiscopy by my urologist, an exam an MRI by a noted orthopedic specialist; each finding no problem and all offering no suggestion of a hernia (that I knew and told each of them about), in two minutes, Dr. Yunis immediately realized the problem, and even found a second hernia. It's now been two weeks since his procedure and I'm back, better than ever!
in Perry, Ga. |
Contact was made based on a friends recommendation. Could not have been more pleased with my experience with Dr. Yunis, his staff and the clinic where the surgery was performed. For anyone needing hernia repair it is worth the drive to have it done in Sarasota, Florida,
in Land O Lakes, FL |
Dr. Yunis and his staff are top tier in their profession. I wish I would have sought out Dr. Yunis a few years ago when all of my complications began but after a couple of consultations he explained my options thoroughly and made suggestions based on my current issues. The surgery went very well (right and left inguinal hernia repair) and my constant pain I had for years is virtually gone. I would highly recommend Dr. Yunis to anyone who is "dealing" with chronic pain due to hernia mesh.
Tampa, FL |
Excellent surgeon, specializes in hernia repair. My was done at outpatient center. Knowledgable friendly staff at the office and surgery center. Highly recommended.
in Dade City, FL |
I'm 49 (w/m) prone to inguinal hernia (4x) over 10 years. I had open hernia repair w/ mesh by a D.O. surgeon and recovered. 6 months post op I developed pain again. I went back to my original surgeon who said my hernia repair was strong and sent me pain management. 7 months of treatment and I was still in agony. Found Dr Yunis on a hernia blog and have to say he was sent to me by divine intervention. He diagnosed me with a double hernia and repaired them. Feel wonderful now, forever grateful!
in Parrish, FL |
Two weeks ago I had my hernia surgery by Dr. JonathanYunis at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Dr. Yunis determined that my incarcerated hernia required urgent attention. He explained the various ways to do the operation and I accepted the daVinci robot surgery suggested for my case. I liked the professional approach displayed by both Dr. Yunis and Ralph his right hand PA. I really enjoyed the experience (sounds strange?) of the robotic surgery. No or little pain afterwards. Quickly back to normal.
in Albuquerque, NM |
Dr Yunis and his staff were outstanding. I had a lot of anxiety before the surgery and Dr. Yunis and his assistant Ralph alleviated much of it with their explanations and reassurances. His nurse Melanie was so helpful throughout the entire time there (I and my girlfriend flew in from Albuquerque). I am glad I went to a specialist like Dr. Yunis instead of a general surgeon. I highly recommend him.
in Sarasota |
Receptionist called me with an earlier appointment due to cancellation, as promised. Doctor and Associate were very friendly and professional. Pleased with my appointment.
in Sarasota, FL |
Very congenial and cordial. He gave me a good explanation of my condition and its treatment and what to expect. His nurse/assistant was also very knowledgeable and communicated well. Everything about the office seemed to be well-run. I say this as a retired private practice doc.
Ft Myers, FL |
We couldn't be happier or more at ease with necessary hernia repair for both John, who Is a complicated case, and Vicky. Dr Yunis and entire staff made us feel comfortable and confident.
in Bradenton, FL |
Dr. Jonathan Yunis is the consummate professional - knowledgeable, personable and a master of his craft. His confidence and detailed explanations immediately creates a bond and a complete level of trust. His relaxed manner relieves all anxiety or confusion, and he has surrounded himself with a staff that functions like a well-oiled machine. From start to finish this was as enjoyable as an appointment for a hernia repair could be. I could not be more impressed or pleased.
in SARASOTA, FL |
Outstanding Doctor. Easy to talk with and takes to explain everything. Highly recommend Dr. Yunis.
in Sarasota, FL |
What a blessings! Dr. Yunis answered all my questions and addressed all my concerns with a directness and consideration that was totally assuring and very refreshing. I will recommend him to my family and my friends.
in Sarasota, FL |
Great doctor, great people skills, great follow up, and world-class medicine. He did my hernia several years ago, and I went back today for a quick check. Or year ago I was visiting a surgeon in another state regarding a different issue. The guy ended up checking me and asked me who did my hernia repair? I asked why, and he went on to say that the person did a spectacular job
in University Park, FL |
Great experience meeting Dr. Yunis for the first time. He explained my condition clearly and completely to my satisfaction. I'm looking forward to my scheduled follow-up appointment, as recommended.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Yunis was recommended to me by a friend who had his previous hernia repair by another surgeon repaired by Dr. Yunis. His recommendation of Dr. Yunis was glowing. I had a previous repair myself, done by a hernia specialist elsewhere, that was causing me chronic pain. My initial consultation with Dr. Yunis was extremely thorough, and we are now in the process of determining the exact cause of my pain. All staff are quite professional and show utmost consideration and compassion.
in Bradenton, FL |
I have had two hernia's repaired by Dr Yunice. And both were very well handled . The last one in 2015, July was one of the best medical experiences I have had in my life.
Longboat Key, FL |
I had an excellent outcome from my surgery and can recommend everyone in this office, they were caring and very good to me.
in Venice, FL |
Repaired Hernia and did excellent job. Only needed Tylenol to relieve pain and only needed for 4 days. Been 1 week now and can do anything I want with a few exceptions. Dr Yunis and staff are very professional and I couldn't imagine going to anyone else for Hernia repair
in Tarpon Springs, FL |
His skill as a hernia repair surgeon is incredible!! He did a double hernia repair on me and the results were nothing short of amazing! I would recommend to anyone who has a serious hernia.
Excellent experience! Dr. Yunis and his team have their A game on at every step of the process. Caring, compassionate, competent... you can't ask for more.
in Riverview, FL |
Dr Yunis and Ralph, his wonderful PA are the best. Did a great job on my hernia repair. Treat every patient like family. Highly recommended.
in Naples, FL |
Three years ago Dr. Yunis gave me the opportunity to live an active, satisfying retirement! After three failed hernia surgeries by other surgeons, Dr. Yunis performed an abdominal reconstruction surgery on me. He is a highly skilled and compassionate surgeon. He has intimate knowledge of the anatomy of the abdominal area. I am now three years pain and hernia free thanks to Dr. Yunis. Thanks to Dr. Yunis and his staff for their work in giving me an absolutely wonderful life!
in Aventura, Florida |
How grateful I am that I can cite my experience with Dr.Yunis and his staff in Sarasota at the Center for Hernia Repair. From my very first visit at the office, I was made to feel welcome and comfortable both by the friendly competence of the staff and the pleasant environment of the office itself. Dr. Yunis inspires the utmost confidence by his wealth of knowledge, skill, and professionalism. Kudos and the highest recommendation to Dr. Yunis and everyone at The Center for Hernia Repair.
in Lakewood Ranch, FL |
He really knows his stuff ! So easy to talk to and explains everything. Highly recommend him.
in Sarasota, FL |
On or about September 13th, I found myself in need of Hernia surgery. Having no experience or knowledge about Hernia issues, a family friend recommended Dr. Jonathan Yunis. I cannot begin to explain how wonderful Dr. Yunis and his staff are, they are the best. I was advised every step of the way, surgery went exactly as planned and I was relaxed and made comfortable, without pain medication. Except Ibuprofen and Tylenol. I would recommend Dr. Yunis and his caring staff to everyone.
in Parrish, FL |
Inguinal hernia laparoscopy end of August. OUTSTANDING experience - from initial evaluation visit, thru surgery, and onto followup visit. Dr. Yunis and his staff - including PA Ralph - were courteous, professional and efficient. Sarasota Physicians Surgical Center where surgery was performed was great. The staff that attended me there did an outstanding job. I would STRONGLY recommend Dr. Tunis and his excellent staff to anyone seeking hernia repair surgery. Thanks for a job well done!
in Sarasota, FL |
Could not be happier or more impressed with Dr. Yunis and his team. After moths of un-diagnosed excruciating groin pain, I was referred to Dr Yunis where he went above and beyond to diagnose my femoral hernia and personally took my phone calls when I became bed ridden. His bedside manner is amazing and he truly cares for his patients and wants and will ONLY do what's best for you. He got me into surgery 1 week after my initial visit and I woke up from surgery pain free.
in Tampa, FL |
All I can say is that I had success with Dr. Yunis, his diagnosis and work on me was 100% successful. He was concerned about my needs and was passionate about how the whole process turned out for me. The outpatient facility was very comfortable and the service was excellent. I recovered faster than expected and have zero...none...no pain and am back to lifting weights and running. Thank you Dr. Yunis
in Sarasota, FL |
I give my strongest recommendation to Dr Jonathan Yunis.. How do I know? Well, I?m kind of an expert on Doctors. I am 45 years old and have had 11 different surgeries by 10 different doctors. Dr Yunis was the best. When I met with him he addressed my concerns and was careful to have all the diagnostic test done that were needed.He was honest and straightforward even when it wasn?t what I wanted to hear. He also set realistic expectation. The operation was a 100% success.
in Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Yunis performed double hernia surgery on me eight days ago and the experience was beyond excellent I would recommend DR Yunis to anyone in need of hernia surgery .
in Ft Myers, FL |
Dr. Yunis performed complicated double hernia surgery on me about 4 years ago. It was my 3rd surgery on my right side (two previous surgery s by another doctor in Fort Myers had failed). It was my first hernia on my left side. I can report that 4 years later Dr. Yunis's repair are still solid and I am forever grateful. The whole experience (staff included) was beyond excellent and I have recommended Dr. Yunis to others who live in Fort Myers area.
in Sarasota, FL |
My surgical experience with Dr Yunis and the support staff far exceeded my expectations. During the initial consult he diagnosed the problem, and gave me his guarantee that he could fix the recurring hernia using laparoscopic surgery, and that the recovery period would be minimal. He was true to his word, and I was back playing golf in under 2 weeks! Also, the team at the front office were very professional and caring. I highly recommend Dr Yunis to anyone who needs this surgery.
in Cortez, FL |
Dr. Yunis's repair of my hernia was excellent. I was amazed how good I felt so rapidly after the operation. I certainly chose the right doctor to do this hernia repair. Excellent and completely successful operation.
in Tampa, FL |
Professional, efficient, exceptional service, and very friendly staff. Two years since double hernia surgery with no issues. Returned to fitness regimen within 3 weeks, and stronger than ever. As for surgery procedure, in at 8am, having a Starbucks at 12 noon. As a self pay, cost very reasonable. Thank you Dr. Yunis!
in Sarasota, FL |
I met with Dr. Yunis on a Thursday. I had surgery the following Monday. I was back to work Wednesday night. I had never had surgery before, but Dr. Yunis and his staff made me feel very comfortable and confident. I had been putting this off for a while. Now I wish I had gone sooner. Very good experience with very little discomfort.
Have you seen Dr. Jonathan Yunis, MD?
Are you Dr. Yunis?

See our General Surgery Specialist at Doctors Hospital of Sarasota

Visit Dr. Yunis

Dr. Yunis accepts 1 insurance carrier
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Hospitals where Dr. Yunis has admitting privileges