Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD

Sports MedicineMaleAge 46

Dr. Chappell

Wake Orthopaedics

10010 Falls Of Neuse Rd Ste 11 Raleigh, NC 27614

Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD is a Sports Medicine Specialist in Raleigh, NC. He is affiliated with medical facilities Wakemed Cary Hospital and WakeMed Raleigh Campus. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Chappell to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Sports Medicine Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

• Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Ataxia
  • Avascular Necrosis
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Elbow Replacement Revision
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Meniscus Surgery
  • Musculoskeletal Function Test
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Unicompartmental Hip Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wrist Fracture

Dr. Chappell accepts

Dr. Chappell accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chappell

1.2195121951219512%
1.2195121951219512%

Dr. Chappell
I had ACL reconstruction surgery with Dr. Chappell and he was, by far, the best surgeon I could've asked for. He was very thorough, easy to talk to and explain my concerns prior to surgery, easy to schedule follow-up appointments with, and overall a very knowledgeable provider. I was uneasy, as this was my first ever surgery, yet he made me extremely comfortable, answered any questions that I had, and was with me the entire way from the first appointment until my last. I am extremely pleased that the work that he did to my knee and would recommend him to anybody looking for a phenomenal surgeon in the triangle area and beyond!
Wyatt Holley – Aug 31, 2021
I highly recommend Dr. Jonathan Chappell. He listened, asked questions, and examined me to get the best information he could about the problem and then told me what tests would be necessary to best diagnose the problem. Once he had the facts, he discussed with me what the next course of action will be. He was patient, thorough, and answered all the questions I had. He did a great job on repairing my rotator cuff tear and after 3 months of his recommended physical therapy I am well on my way to a full recovery. His staff was always friendly and helpful.
Stephanie – Jul 19, 2021
First off, I am not a doctor friendly person. I knew I had to have my Rotator Cuff repaired and during consultation with Dr Chappelle he actually put me in a good frame of mind. The surgery went text book and I experienced almost zero pain afterwards. Made the right choice as for a doctor. I was just recently released and found the entire experience not what I expected. I'd recommend Dr Chappelle to anyone requiring this type of operation. Thank you!
Paul Lillback – Jul 04, 2021
Dr Chappell came into my hospital room, pulled up a chair and educated me on reverse shoulder replacement. His excellent surgical skills enabled him to repair my fractured, splintered humerus and put my shoulder back together again. He always reviewed and explained follow up Xrays with me and encouraged me to attend PT. Wake Med Orthopedics offers physical therapy in their practice. My overall experience with Dr Chappell and staff was excellent. Thank you Dr Chappell.
Vicky McGee – Jun 24, 2021
His people skills are lacking. No wonder they have a great assistant, Kristen, following up after him. I had come back for a second steroid shot as he directed on my rotator cuff due to the pain. He now refused to give the shot. Why was I there? Then he went on to say come back when ready for surgery. I had lost my insurance and planned to get the surgery as soon as it was reinstated. But, in the meantime, the pain was getting unbearable. Then he goes on to lecture me on the opioid crisis, and why he would not assist me there either. I am 60 years old and not a pill taker. He could have looked up the database to see if I had requested any opioids from anyone else, which I hadn't. In the end, I got a bill for $200 and a ibuprofin prescription. I really have nothing good to say about him other than the practice seemed professional otherwise. I will find easily another doctor to perform the surgery that actually does care about their clients well being.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Richard Olson – Mar 25, 2021
Dr Chappell and his staff are very friendly and professional. My shoulder surgery went very well and has progressed extremely well in physical therapy. I am told I will finish PT sooner than expected. I highly recommend Dr. Chappell.
Tim – Mar 16, 2021
Dr. Jonathan Chappell was my surgeon when I fractured my proximal humerus in May. All aspects of my treatment - the initial visit with Catherine Williams at Wake Med Ortho Urgent Care, the surgery performed by Dr. Chappell, my office visits for follow-up, and the outpatient rehab with Stephanie Igo - were excellent. This was an especially difficult time due to the new world forced upon all by COVID-19. Each step of the journey to recovery was tailored to my specific needs, and I have been able to regain my normal activities nearly 100%! Dr. Chappell listened to me, explained the procedure and what to expect following surgery, answered all of my questions, and provided me with excellent care. I highly recommend Dr. Chappell and the Wake Med care team.
E Davis – Jan 28, 2021
I highly recommend Dr Chappell at Wake Orthopaedics for knee surgery! He is an excellent orthopaedic surgeon. I had a torn meniscus he diagnosed even before images confirmed it, wow! Surgery went smoothly and so easily all the way from beginning to end. I had minimal pain, no complications and the scars are so tiny from the laproscopic surgery they are hardly even noticeable. I like everything explained to be comfortable with a surgery decision. He explains and shows the Xrays and MRI images pointing out areas of injury and answers every single question. Dr Chappell also prescribed physical therapy to regain strength and muscle mass I had lost. I never realized how important physical therapy is to do after surgery. I was lucky to have an amazing therapist Justin Mitchell at Wake Forest Physical Therapy train, guide and lead me to success. I asked to extend my therapy which was instrumental in Justin Mitchell successfully getting me to achieve full pre-surgery strength! Thanks so much!!
Amazing Knee Surgeon! – Nov 10, 2020
Dr. Chappell performed a reverse arthoplasty procedure on my left shoulder. The extreme pain I felt was alleviated following the procedure. In addition I recovered full use of my arm very quickly due to his excellent operational technique. I am very pleased with my experience with Dr. Chappell.
John Hamer – Nov 04, 2020
I went to Dr. Chappell for a right shoulder reconstruction. Dr. Chappell is professional, friendly, very knowledge and a great surgeon. My surgery included my rotator cuff and shoulder repair. He answered all my questions, he seemed to really care about me.
Charles W. Glenn Sr. – Oct 31, 2020
I had replacement surgery on my left shoulder after a dislocation. Ever since it has been super painful even after 4 months of physical therapy. He is very short with you and basically told me it didn't take and bone is rubbing on bone and the only true fix would be to have the surgery re-done. Maybe, but not by you.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Oct 15, 2020
I broke my humerus and the emergency room recommended I see Dr. Chappell. When he told me I needed surgery I told him that petrified me. When he referred to me as 58 years young and not 85 years old and told me I would want full use of my arm for the rest of my life I immediately felt like surgery was the only way to go. I cannot be more satisfied with the results. Between Dr. Chappell's bedside manor, a 72 hour pain block, and an excellent team of physical therapists, I am well on my way to 100% healing. Thanks you all for your wonderful care!
Debbie F – Oct 14, 2020
I was dissatisfied with the previous local provider and researched specific shoulder treatment and found Dr. Chappell. I met with him and was impressed with his bed side manner, focus on treating the injury and promptness to schedule treatment. The shoulder surgery went amazing well and the PT/follow up appointments did not disappoint. Amazing service, safety and care during this Covid time.
Rob Carr – Sep 30, 2020
Dr. Chappell has performed surgeries on both of us. He is an outstanding physician.
Richard & Reine Belles – Jul 23, 2020
From my first encounter with Dr. Chappell at Wake Med, Cary to my release from his care, I have only good things to say about him and his ability! I had a fall, broke a collar bone and was taken to the ER.....after x-rays, I was seen by Dr. Chappell(did not know of him...he was "on duty") and he explained my injury.....he wanted to wait a short while to see if the bones would reposition themselves for good healing and thus avoid surgery. Alas, the bones did not cooperate! Then Dr. Chappell showed me the xrays, explained two options I had for healing and let me make the choice. He said he could "fix" my break, which would speed up recovery time and be less painful than letting Mother Nature do the healing. I chose surgery...duh!!! Wake Med Raleigh was where the surgery was done....Everything has gone so well, had no pain following surgery, with PT and now 10 weeks out, I'm released to do anything within reason. Dr. Chappell has be thourough, patient, and skilled in all aspects of my c
Jul 16, 2020
Excellent care, highly qualified!!
Jul 08, 2020
The care my husband recieved from Dr. Jonathan Chappell was outstanding. So much care and concern was shown throughout the whole process. I would definitely recommend anyone in need of Dr. Chappells specialties choose him and his team. Thank you Dr. Chappell for everything.
Crystal Consuelo – Mar 07, 2020
I have had excellent patient outcomes from rotator cuff surgeries on both shoulders performed by Dr. Chappell. He is very knowledgeable and has very good interpersonal skills. The staff were very kind and competent.
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Feb 27, 2020
Being new to the area, I had to search for an orthopedic surgeon for a recurring shoulder problem. I certainly hit the jackpot with Dr. Chappell. He was thorough in his explanations of my problem and the solutions. My surgery went extremely well and I couldn't be happier. I would highly recommend Dr Chappell and will certainly go back to him should I have another problem.
Lorraine Lellyo – Feb 24, 2020
Dr. Chappell has been my hero. He is a wonderful surgeon. I fell in July and broken my shoulder and arm and went to a different Orthopedic doctor, he put a pin and screws and never did the test needed to see the correct injuries I had to my shoulder and arm. I was in pain for months and on pain medication for weeks and never had the range of motion I needed to continue a normal life without pain. I got Dr. Chappell's information from my Sister in law and he saw me and did a Cat Scan and was able to tell that a shoulder replacement was the best way to go. He did the surgery on December 5, 2019 and I had pain only a few days and it was not severe and I was off pain medication within a couple of days. I admire Dr. Chappell because I sent my records for a 2nd opinion to two other doctors and they would not touch me because I had a mess, I will always be grateful to Dr. Chappell for being brave enough for taking me as a patient and fixing my shoulder & arm. He is the only one I would go to.
Deborah Carter – Feb 13, 2020

How was your experience with Dr. Chappell?

My goal is to provide superior medical services through a friendly, knowledgeable, and caring staff. Our physicians, therapists, and employees function...Read more

Dr. Jonathan Chappell was born and raised in Mooresville, North Carolina. He received his bachelor's degree from Davidson College and attended medical...Read more

• Sports Medicine