Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 48

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD is an Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Raleigh, NC and has over 22 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Duke University School Of Medicine in 2001. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Betsy Johnson Hospital and Nash General Hospital. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD

Wake Orthopaedics

3009 New Bern Ave Raleigh, NC 27610

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Get better prescription prices

Optum Perks and Healthgrades are subsidiaries of RVO Health.

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Check Dr. Chappell's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Chappell's Top Procedures and Conditions

Rotator Cuff Tear

Dr. Chappell treats Rotator Cuff Tear more than 98% of his peers

Dr. Chappell treats this condition more than 98% of his peers

Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis

Dr. Chappell treats Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis more than 98% of his peers

Dr. Chappell treats this condition more than 98% of his peers

• Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Ataxia
  • Avascular Necrosis
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Femur Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wrist Fracture

Dr. Chappell accepts

Dr. Chappell accepts the following insurance:

Ambetter
Worker's Compensation WC

Dr. Chappell's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chappell

Definitely Recommend
Dr. Chappell was my second opinion Dr and I wish I had found him first!! Following my surgery with another surgeon, I developed a rare neurological condition. After my previous surgeon nor numerous ER visits could tell me what was wrong with me , Dr Chappell immediately diagnosed what was wrong! I highly recommend him!!
Sep 21, 2022
Good as before
He did a great job on my knee procedure for a minor meniscus tear. Would recommend him for these type of knee procedures.
A. Moore – Aug 23, 2022
End of the day rush
I had an appointment for Dr. Chappell to have my knee looked at. I've been around teammates who've had their ACL and/or meniscus torn and my injury wasn't nearly as severe or painful to my knowledge but I wanted to rule it out and learn what causing the pain. My appointment was for 4:30 and I didn't get to see him until 5 before 5:00. He rushed the whole process because he probably cared more about getting home than making me feel at ease. After ruling out the worst, I wasn't able to ask more questions of why am I still in pain (which still continues months later). terrible experience on my end.
Jul 29, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
Dr. Chappell has been great! He performed my ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair. I was really nervous about surgery but Dr. Chappell really helped calm my nerves. Surgery was a breeze and everything went well. I can’t recommend Dr. Chappell enough!
Mark – Nov 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
He listened to my concerns and answered all of my questions. He was very open with all possible options and outcomes from those options. We worked together to form the best possible care plan for my needs to help me figure out what was wrong and get better. If I ever find my self in need of another orthopedic doctor, I will definitely be coming back.
Kat – Nov 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
I had ACL reconstruction surgery with Dr. Chappell and he was, by far, the best surgeon I could've asked for. He was very thorough, easy to talk to and explain my concerns prior to surgery, easy to schedule follow-up appointments with, and overall a very knowledgeable provider. I was uneasy, as this was my first ever surgery, yet he made me extremely comfortable, answered any questions that I had, and was with me the entire way from the first appointment until my last. I am extremely pleased that the work that he did to my knee and would recommend him to anybody looking for a phenomenal surgeon in the triangle area and beyond!
Wyatt Holley – Aug 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Jonathan Chappell. He listened, asked questions, and examined me to get the best information he could about the problem and then told me what tests would be necessary to best diagnose the problem. Once he had the facts, he discussed with me what the next course of action will be. He was patient, thorough, and answered all the questions I had. He did a great job on repairing my rotator cuff tear and after 3 months of his recommended physical therapy I am well on my way to a full recovery. His staff was always friendly and helpful.
Stephanie – Jul 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
First off, I am not a doctor friendly person. I knew I had to have my Rotator Cuff repaired and during consultation with Dr Chappelle he actually put me in a good frame of mind. The surgery went text book and I experienced almost zero pain afterwards. Made the right choice as for a doctor. I was just recently released and found the entire experience not what I expected. I'd recommend Dr Chappelle to anyone requiring this type of operation. Thank you!
Paul Lillback – Jul 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
Dr Chappell came into my hospital room, pulled up a chair and educated me on reverse shoulder replacement. His excellent surgical skills enabled him to repair my fractured, splintered humerus and put my shoulder back together again. He always reviewed and explained follow up Xrays with me and encouraged me to attend PT. Wake Med Orthopedics offers physical therapy in their practice. My overall experience with Dr Chappell and staff was excellent. Thank you Dr Chappell.
Vicky McGee – Jun 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
His people skills are lacking. No wonder they have a great assistant, Kristen, following up after him. I had come back for a second steroid shot as he directed on my rotator cuff due to the pain. He now refused to give the shot. Why was I there? Then he went on to say come back when ready for surgery. I had lost my insurance and planned to get the surgery as soon as it was reinstated. But, in the meantime, the pain was getting unbearable. Then he goes on to lecture me on the opioid crisis, and why he would not assist me there either. I am 60 years old and not a pill taker. He could have looked up the database to see if I had requested any opioids from anyone else, which I hadn't. In the end, I got a bill for $200 and a ibuprofin prescription. I really have nothing good to say about him other than the practice seemed professional otherwise. I will find easily another doctor to perform the surgery that actually does care about their clients well being.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Richard Olson – Mar 25, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
Dr Chappell and his staff are very friendly and professional. My shoulder surgery went very well and has progressed extremely well in physical therapy. I am told I will finish PT sooner than expected. I highly recommend Dr. Chappell.
Tim – Mar 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
Dr. Jonathan Chappell was my surgeon when I fractured my proximal humerus in May. All aspects of my treatment - the initial visit with Catherine Williams at Wake Med Ortho Urgent Care, the surgery performed by Dr. Chappell, my office visits for follow-up, and the outpatient rehab with Stephanie Igo - were excellent. This was an especially difficult time due to the new world forced upon all by COVID-19. Each step of the journey to recovery was tailored to my specific needs, and I have been able to regain my normal activities nearly 100%! Dr. Chappell listened to me, explained the procedure and what to expect following surgery, answered all of my questions, and provided me with excellent care. I highly recommend Dr. Chappell and the Wake Med care team.
E Davis – Jan 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
I highly recommend Dr Chappell at Wake Orthopaedics for knee surgery! He is an excellent orthopaedic surgeon. I had a torn meniscus he diagnosed even before images confirmed it, wow! Surgery went smoothly and so easily all the way from beginning to end. I had minimal pain, no complications and the scars are so tiny from the laproscopic surgery they are hardly even noticeable. I like everything explained to be comfortable with a surgery decision. He explains and shows the Xrays and MRI images pointing out areas of injury and answers every single question. Dr Chappell also prescribed physical therapy to regain strength and muscle mass I had lost. I never realized how important physical therapy is to do after surgery. I was lucky to have an amazing therapist Justin Mitchell at Wake Forest Physical Therapy train, guide and lead me to success. I asked to extend my therapy which was instrumental in Justin Mitchell successfully getting me to achieve full pre-surgery strength! Thanks so much!!
Amazing Knee Surgeon! – Nov 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
Dr. Chappell performed a reverse arthoplasty procedure on my left shoulder. The extreme pain I felt was alleviated following the procedure. In addition I recovered full use of my arm very quickly due to his excellent operational technique. I am very pleased with my experience with Dr. Chappell.
John Hamer – Nov 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
I went to Dr. Chappell for a right shoulder reconstruction. Dr. Chappell is professional, friendly, very knowledge and a great surgeon. My surgery included my rotator cuff and shoulder repair. He answered all my questions, he seemed to really care about me.
Charles W. Glenn Sr. – Oct 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
I had replacement surgery on my left shoulder after a dislocation. Ever since it has been super painful even after 4 months of physical therapy. He is very short with you and basically told me it didn't take and bone is rubbing on bone and the only true fix would be to have the surgery re-done. Maybe, but not by you.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Oct 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
I broke my humerus and the emergency room recommended I see Dr. Chappell. When he told me I needed surgery I told him that petrified me. When he referred to me as 58 years young and not 85 years old and told me I would want full use of my arm for the rest of my life I immediately felt like surgery was the only way to go. I cannot be more satisfied with the results. Between Dr. Chappell's bedside manor, a 72 hour pain block, and an excellent team of physical therapists, I am well on my way to 100% healing. Thanks you all for your wonderful care!
Debbie F – Oct 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
Dr. Chappel performed my reverse left shoulder replacement surgery.
Oct 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
Dr. Chappell got me back to normal from a torn ACL and MCL. The experience was outstanding. All my questions answered patiently, my concerns addressed and, most importantly, my knee feels great now! Also, the Physical Therapy has been another great experience, Jennifer and Kim were both excellent to get me back on my feet (and then back to running). I am looking forward to test my knee back on ski next year. I can’t thank enough to Dr. Chappell.
Daniel – Oct 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?
I was dissatisfied with the previous local provider and researched specific shoulder treatment and found Dr. Chappell. I met with him and was impressed with his bed side manner, focus on treating the injury and promptness to schedule treatment. The shoulder surgery went amazing well and the PT/follow up appointments did not disappoint. Amazing service, safety and care during this Covid time.
Rob Carr – Sep 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Jonathan Chappell, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chappell?