Dr. Jonathan Asp, MD

Orthopedic Sports Medicine | Male

Twin Cities Orthopedics 3366 Oakdale Ave N Ste 103 Robbinsdale, MN 55422 Get Directions
Dr. Jonathan Asp, MD
Jon Asp, MD specializes in sports medicine, total joint replacement (including anterior approach hip replacement and shoulder surgery), and minimally invasive knee arthroplasty. Born and raised in Minnesota, Dr. Asp was Valedictorian of his class at Gustavus Adolphus ('81) and captain of his soccer team. After college, Dr. Asp attended Harvard Medical School and completed his residency at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine. In the past few years he has been on backpacking trips to Bhutan, Patagonia, and has climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro. He also enjoys cycling and cross country skiing. Dr. Asp has performed thousands of joint replacements, and is among the most experienced surgeons of the Anterior Approach Hip Replacement procedure. Dr. Asp also received his subspecialty certification in Sports Medicine from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Dr. Asp's Experience

See how Dr. Asp's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Asp

Dr. Asp accepts 16 insurance carriers

Dr. Asp is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Asp has admitting privileges.

Dr. Asp's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Asp to family and friends
3.3
Dr. Asp's Performance
    GOOD
    GOOD
in Maple Grove, MN |
Dr Asp did total replace of right hip...I was home 1 day after surgery & walking w/o crutches 2 days later...totally better than op on left hip 5 years ago w/ diff Dr. Great balance of technical abilities and personal traits...he knows what he is doing and I feel it in the trust he has engendered in me. I have had experience with other MD's in his field and now I will only go to Dr Asp for my orthopedic needs. Heard about him through friends that had used him, they were Right...He is the Best
Hopkins, MN |
I had a knee replaced 18 months ago. 100% pleased with the results. If you, the patient, are willing to work hard at rehab, he will set you up for success.
in Minnetonka, MN |
Dr. Asp did both of my knee replacements, the second one Oct. 2016 and I am very satisfied with him and the staff. I now have two straight legs that work without pain or Motrin and at 61 walk better than when I was 50. The idea of replacing ones knees is a terrifying thing but following all directions and doing the work pays off. I wouldn't let anyone else work on my bones, thanks Dr Asp. Mike Perkins Minnetonka
in Kimball, MN |
Very good experience with Dr. Asp, had TKR on left knee.On first visit had diagnosis and X-rays to confirm lack of cartilage.Answered all my questions.Had surgery and was walking with walker next day.Pain management was not a problem.3 months out now ,have full extension and can bend past 119 degrees. Very good surgeon and team. Dave Daugherty, Watkins ,Mn
in Elk River |
I was admitted to Maple Grove Hospital by ambulance after a crush injury to my leg. I insisted on seeing an orthopedic Dr.He spent about 5minutes with me, said I was fine. Very condescending. Never looked at the leg. I ended up having emergency surgery at Mayo Clinic and was rehospitalized. He totally missed the seriousness of my injury.
in Minneapolis, MN |
He replaced my both of my hips 8 weeks apart. I could not say enough about how well he prepared and figured out what could be done the best to make the quality of my life great! My recovery was quick and results were fantastic! I saw some reviews did not like how he interacted with the patient. From my own experience, I looked to people close to me for support and did the best to exercise and care for myself really helped! I would recommend Dr. Asp without any reservation!
in Minneapolis, MN |
unfriendly and not companionate towards me the patient. Very pushy and demanding I do more then I thought possible. did not try to help me through my tough time suggested I find a different doctor that could meet my personality.
in Bemidji, MN |
I had one knee replaced on December 8, 2015 and the second one on February 25th 2016. I am walking pain free for the first time in years. Dr. Asp is the only one that I would go to to have a joint replaced. His surgery skills are the best and the visual results are a work of art. 5 stars is not high enough for this doctor.
in Apple Valley, MN |
Dr. Asp replaced my hip. Was literally shoveling snow 2 days after surgery. He did fantastic work and recovery was only 2 weeks. I will have the other hip replaced in a few months and there is no one I would recommend more highly.
Have you seen Dr. Jonathan Asp, MD?
Are you Dr. Asp?

Compare Dr. Asp

Dr. Asp says...

Jon Asp, MD specializes in sports medicine, total joint replacement (including anterior approach hip replacement and shoulder surgery), and minimally invasive knee arthroplasty. Born and raised in Minnesota, Dr. Asp was Valedictorian of his class at Gustavus Adolphus ('81) and captain of his soccer team. After college, Dr. Asp attended Harvard Medical School and completed his residency at the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine. In the past few years he has been on backpacking trips to Bhutan, Patagonia, and has climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro. He also enjoys cycling and cross country skiing.

Dr. Asp has performed thousands of joint replacements, and is among the most experienced surgeons of the Anterior Approach Hip Replacement procedure. Dr. Asp also received his subspecialty certification in Sports Medicine from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Dr. Asp's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Minnesota not available

Dr. Asp has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Minnesota.

Why It Matters: Dr. Asp's Board Certifications

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

• Clavicle Fracture
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Hip Fracture
  • Hip Sprain
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

Harvard Medical School

Graduated in 1985

Mayo Graduate School Of Medicine

• French

Dr. Asp does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Asp and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine