Dr. Jon Whitehurst, MD

Dr. Jon Whitehurst, MD

Orthopedic Sports Medicine  ·

Dr. Jon Whitehurst, MD is an orthopedic sports medicine surgery specialist in Rockford, IL and has been practicing for 16 years. He specializes in orthopedic sports medicine, sports medicine, and more.Read his story

OrthoIllinois

324 Roxbury Rd

Rockford, IL 61107

• HAP Insurance
  • Health Alliance

Learn about Dr. Whitehurst

See how frequently Dr. Whitehurst performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Sprains and Strains (incl. Muscle Tear)
Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
Rotator Cuff Tear
high

Dr. Whitehurst's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Whitehurst's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Whitehurst "I would like to take this opportunity to tell you more about myself and my experience in healthcare. I am originally from Evanston, Illinois and I earned my B.S. degree in chemical engineering with a biomedical emphasis from Northwestern University in 1985. Following graduation from college, I was commissioned as an officer in the United States Navy, serving as a Naval Flight Officer from 1985 to 1992. After graduating first in my flight school class, I was assigned to an aircraft carrier-based F-14 TOMCAT Squadron. Continuing with high achievements, I was selected to attend TOPGUN, the Navy Fighting Weapons School and served during Operation Desert Shield. I resumed my studies at the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine following Honorable Discharge from active duty in 1992. I obtained my medical degree in 1996 and subsequently completed advanced orthopedic training as part of my residency at the University of Chicago Hospitals in 2001. In 2002 I completed a fellowship in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine at the Southern California Orthopaedic Institute (SCOI). My subspecialty training focuses specifically on minimally invasive arthroscopic treatment of the shoulder, knee, ankle, elbow, wrist and sports medicine. While at SCOI, I produced award-winning research in shoulder instability and worked with research projects in knee ligament reconstruction. As an advocate for continuing medical education, I have authored numerous journal articles and presentations on arthroscopic surgery, and I am a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Rockford, lecturing on orthopedic subjects in conjunction with the University of Chicago. I also serve as an instructor to other orthopedic surgeons for advanced arthroscopic techniques. My practice is focused on general orthopedics with special interest in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine. I am a team physician for the Rockford IceHogs and I am also active in several local high school and college sports programs. I enjoy the opportunity to work with athletes on a regular basis. In addition to my extensive medical commitments, I enjoy time with my family, biking, golfing, hiking, and boating. It is my mission to provide you excellent service as well as compassionate care. I always strive to provide you the same quality of orthopedic care I would offer to a member of my family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further improve your experience at OrthoIllinois."

Patient Testimonials

This content was provided by Dr. Whitehurst "Dr. Whitehurst was spot on with recovery time."

"i would have like to have met with Dr. Whitehurst himself sooner, rather than wait until my 12 weeks out visit. I had a couple of of other pain issues that were aggravated greatly as a result of the required splint and sling, but I didn't feel like they were appreciative of the additional pain they were causing me, (extreme thumb arthritis and aggravation to my neck/disc hernias). It felt like a bit of "that's not my department." Perhaps even some advise as to what type of doctor I might want to be seen by in the mean time to address those intense pains where suggested. Over all however, very happy with my results."

"Dr. Whitehurst is an excellent doctor"

"Exception care. Wonderful Staff. Very satisfied"

"Dr. Whitehurst answered all of my questions, both before and after the surgery, and explained everything in clear, understandable terms. I would highly recommend him for anyone needing shoulder surgery. Thank you!"

"An exceptional experience from start to finish. Most notable is the smooth organization of every function. The every day glitches and issues were never seen. Seriously professional in all regards."

"Very pleased, terrific results"

"very pleased with results"

"greatest"

"He was very nice and got to the bottom of my problem in no time. He made sure I was doing well."

"It is my goal as an orthopaedic surgeon to provide you the best possible care with compassion and respect. "

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine

• Ataxia
  • Broken Arm
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Femur Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus
  • Sjögren's Syndrome
  • Sternum Fracture
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Northwestern Center Feinberg School of Medicine
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1985
  • University Of Chicago/The Pritzker School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1996
  • University Chicago Hosps
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2001
  • The Southern California Orthopedic Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002

Dr. Whitehurst has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Whitehurst does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Whitehurst and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Schedule Online Now

Dr. Whitehurst's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Whitehurst to family and friends

Dr. Whitehurst's Performance

Could not lift arm up all the way, repaired shoulder. No more pain and can lift arm all the way up.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Dr. Whithurst repaired my right shoulder a few years ago. There was no hesitation to have him repair my left shoulder.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
I under estimated the necessity of physical therapy, but it made a big difference in my recovery time.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Very very pleased, I would highly recommend Dr Whitehurst and his staff!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Dr. Whitehurst and all the staff that I came in contact with at Orth. did and outstanding job. Thank you so much.
Are you Dr. Whitehurst?