Dr. Jon Whitehurst, MD

Dr. Jon Whitehurst, MD

Orthopedic Sports Medicine  |

Dr. Jon Whitehurst, MD is an orthopedic sports medicine doctor who practices in Rockford, IL. He is 53 years old and has been practicing for 21 years. Read his story

OrthoIllinois

324 Roxbury Rd

Rockford, IL 61107

• HAP Insurance
  • Health Alliance

Learn about Dr. Whitehurst

See how frequently Dr. Whitehurst performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Sprains and Strains (incl. Muscle Tear)
Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
Rotator Cuff Tear
high

Dr. Whitehurst's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Whitehurst's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Whitehurst "I would like to take this opportunity to tell you more about myself and my experience in healthcare. I am originally from Evanston, Illinois and I earned my B.S. degree in chemical engineering with a biomedical emphasis from Northwestern University in 1985. Following graduation from college, I was commissioned as an officer in the United States Navy, serving as a Naval Flight Officer from 1985 to 1992. After graduating first in my flight school class, I was assigned to an aircraft carrier-based F-14 TOMCAT Squadron. Continuing with high achievements, I was selected to attend TOPGUN, the Navy Fighting Weapons School and served during Operation Desert Shield. I resumed my studies at the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine following Honorable Discharge from active duty in 1992. I obtained my medical degree in 1996 and subsequently completed advanced orthopedic training as part of my residency at the University of Chicago Hospitals in 2001. In 2002 I completed a fellowship in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine at the Southern California Orthopaedic Institute (SCOI). My subspecialty training focuses specifically on minimally invasive arthroscopic treatment of the shoulder, knee, ankle, elbow, wrist and sports medicine. While at SCOI, I produced award-winning research in shoulder instability and worked with research projects in knee ligament reconstruction. As an advocate for continuing medical education, I have authored numerous journal articles and presentations on arthroscopic surgery, and I am a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Rockford, lecturing on orthopedic subjects in conjunction with the University of Chicago. I also serve as an instructor to other orthopedic surgeons for advanced arthroscopic techniques. My practice is focused on general orthopedics with special interest in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine. I am a team physician for the Rockford IceHogs and I am also active in several local high school and college sports programs. I enjoy the opportunity to work with athletes on a regular basis. In addition to my extensive medical commitments, I enjoy time with my family, biking, golfing, hiking, and boating. It is my mission to provide you excellent service as well as compassionate care. I always strive to provide you the same quality of orthopedic care I would offer to a member of my family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further improve your experience at OrthoIllinois."

Patient Testimonials

This content was provided by Dr. Whitehurst Dr. Whitehurst was spot on with recovery time.

i would have like to have met with Dr. Whitehurst himself sooner, rather than wait until my 12 weeks out visit. I had a couple of of other pain issues that were aggravated greatly as a result of the required splint and sling, but I didn't feel like they were appreciative of the additional pain they were causing me, (extreme thumb arthritis and aggravation to my neck/disc hernias). It felt like a bit of "that's not my department." Perhaps even some advise as to what type of doctor I might want to be seen by in the mean time to address those intense pains where suggested. Over all however, very happy with my results.

Dr. Whitehurst is an excellent doctor

Exception care. Wonderful Staff. Very satisfied

Dr. Whitehurst answered all of my questions, both before and after the surgery, and explained everything in clear, understandable terms. I would highly recommend him for anyone needing shoulder surgery. Thank you!

An exceptional experience from start to finish. Most notable is the smooth organization of every function. The every day glitches and issues were never seen. Seriously professional in all regards.

Very pleased, terrific results

very pleased with results

greatest

He was very nice and got to the bottom of my problem in no time. He made sure I was doing well.

"It is my goal as an orthopaedic surgeon to provide you the best possible care with compassion and respect. "

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine

• Ataxia
  • Broken Arm
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Femur Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus

• Partial Shoulder Replacement
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Shoulder Dislocation Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Northwestern Center Feinberg School of Medicine
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1985
  • University Of Chicago/The Pritzker School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1996
  • University Chicago Hosps
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2001
  • The Southern California Orthopedic Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002

Dr. Whitehurst has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Whitehurst does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Whitehurst and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Whitehurst's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Whitehurst to family and friends
Dr. Whitehurst's Performance
good
I was very pleased with every step along the way. The surgical center staff was outstanding and the procedure went extremely well. The physical therapy team has been outstanding and I have gained my motion back just as they had predicted and with very little pain. Dr. Whitehurst and his staff were outstanding. The follow up was excellent. I never felt rushed when I visited with Dr. Whitehurst and he was very thorough on answering all of my questions.
very happy with the results!
Excellent
Good
Dr. Whitehurst was a pleasure to work with, and took the time to explain the surgery process. His staff was also wonderful to work with. This entire experience went very well and much better than I could have expected. Thank you Orthoillinois!!
excellent she explained everything clearly
such a professional doctor and wonderful bedside manner . He stayed with me all the way through and made me feel that he really cared about me .
I have seen Dr. Whitehurst for both shoulders and he has got me back to no pain and full motion. He and his staff are very friendly and open to questions. The whole process was unlike any other doctors office I been to. They are efficient and no nonsense. I would recommend him to any of my family, friends and aquaintances.
This is my second experience getting surgery with Dr. Whitehurst. He and his staff have been friendly, informative, compassionate, and (most importantly) skillful. Thanks to everyone that I have encountered at Orthoillinois.
made it easy
Excellent care provider. Dr. Whitehurst is the best.
It was a very good experience!
Rh shoulder large tear rotate cuff. Unable to do normal actives until surgery. Back to normal movement in 3rd month.
verygood
the explanations were through and understandable. the entire staff made the experience as pleasant as possible
wow i could not ask for any more
in polo, IL |
I had shoulder surgery in February. I highly recommend Dr Whitehurst and his staff. They spent time explaining everything and answered any questions I may have had. They made the whole experience easier. Super BIG THANK YOU TO ALL of them. Diane
came to dr whitehurst on a recommondation. love him!!!!
Had a great experience here at Ortho Illinois with Dr. Whitehurst and his staff. Everyone was always open to my questions and concerns and answered my questions to the best of their abilities. Very satisfied with the surgery done on my knee. It has allowed me to progress quickly towards attaining normal function.
wonderful
Great experience. Felt very comfortable working with him. Good explanations and opportunity for feedback.
Very honest and straight forward with recovery time table. I loved how he understood the athletes thinking about returning to the sport. Also loved how my diagnosis was more based on a personal level on how I am doing, it wasn't a broad explanation for the average surgeries.
very happy with how i have been treated.
I had a great experience working with Dr. Whitehurt and his team. I had an injury from a bicycling accident that I had been working through with PT for almost a year. When that didn't work, Dr. Whitehurst and his team did a great job of explaining options from getting and MRI for diagnosis to possible intervention and treatment options. I really appreciate the time they spent with me to figure out the best path to take so that I can be as functional as I was before my cycling accident.
Though this surgery was necessary and painful, I felt better every week with the staff encouragement and assistance at therapy.
so happy that i had the chance to have this doctor work on me, it he did a great job.
good
great experience so far
very good and easy ro talk to. i had confidence in him and felt he diagnosed my problem and the therapy right on the nose.
Brought me back to normalcy with my shoulder.
Thank You every thing has been top notch
staff was great , never had to wait long
i can recoment him for his treament and willines to cure me
Everybody from the time of checking in to the final stop at the appointment desk very precise and professional
Dr. Whitehurst did a great job in fixing my shoulder.
Winnebago, Illinois |
Dr. Whitehurst was highly recommended by others I know in the medical field and I agree totally. He and his staff were very professional and caring at all times. He was easy to talk with and answered every question I had. My surgery scar is almost non-existent and recovery went very well under his care.
l found it to be very comfortable and an overallpositive approach to better my health
Good
phenomenal
great
he was a good doctor
nice
I have always been treated with the up-most respect. Every employee always has a smile and it was a pleasant experience.
friendly staff doctor always explained and answered all questions
very good
Very insightful and supportive of the entire process.
dr. whitehurst was great
very happy with the results, left knee feels great
Have you seen Dr. Jon Whitehurst, MD?

Visit Dr. Whitehurst