Dr. Jon B. Whitehurst, MD

Dr. Jon B. Whitehurst, MD

8 reviews

Physical Therapy | Male | 53 years old

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you more about myself and my experience in healthcare. I am originally from Evanston, Illinois and I earned my B.S. degree in chemical engineering with a biomedical emphasis from Northwestern University in 1985. Following graduation from college, I was commissioned as an officer in the United States Navy, serving as a Naval Flight Officer from 1985 to 1992. After graduating first in my flight school class, I was assigned to an aircraft carrier-based F-14 TOMCAT Squadron. Continuing with high achievements, I was selected to attend TOPGUN, the Navy Fighting Weapons School and served during Operation Desert Shield. I resumed my studies at the University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine following Honorable Discharge from active duty in 1992. I obtained my medical degree in 1996 and subsequently completed advanced orthopedic training as part of my residency at the University of Chicago Hospitals in 2001. In 2002 I completed a fellowship in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine at the Southern California Orthopaedic Institute (SCOI). My subspecialty training focuses specifically on minimally invasive arthroscopic treatment of the shoulder, knee, ankle, elbow, wrist and sports medicine. While at SCOI, I produced award-winning research in shoulder instability and worked with research projects in knee ligament reconstruction. As an advocate for continuing medical education, I have authored numerous journal articles and presentations on arthroscopic surgery, and I am a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Rockford, lecturing on orthopedic subjects in conjunction with the University of Chicago. I also serve as an instructor to other orthopedic surgeons for advanced arthroscopic techniques. My practice is focused on general orthopedics with special interest in arthroscopic surgery and sports medicine. I am a team physician for the Rockford IceHogs and I am also active in several local high school and college sports programs. I enjoy the opportunity to work with athletes on a regular basis. In addition to my extensive medical commitments, I enjoy time with my family, biking, golfing, hiking, and boating. It is my mission to provide you excellent service as well as compassionate care. I always strive to provide you the same quality of orthopedic care I would offer to a member of my family. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further improve your experience at OrthoIllinois.Read more

OrthoIllinois

Patient Testimonials

Dr. Whitehurst was spot on with recovery time.

i would have like to have met with Dr. Whitehurst himself sooner, rather than wait until my 12 weeks out visit. I had a couple of of other pain issues that were aggravated greatly as a result of the required splint and sling, but I didn't feel like they were appreciative of the additional pain they were causing me, (extreme thumb arthritis and aggravation to my neck/disc hernias). It felt like a bit of "that's not my department." Perhaps even some advise as to what type of doctor I might want to be seen by in the mean time to address those intense pains where suggested. Over all however, very happy with my results.

Dr. Whitehurst is an excellent doctor

It is my goal as an orthopaedic surgeon to provide you the best possible care with compassion and respect.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Whitehurst's Experience

See how Dr. Whitehurst's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Whitehurst

Dr. Whitehurst accepts 13 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Whitehurst has admitting privileges.

Dr. Whitehurst's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Whitehurst to family and friends
based on 8 total surveys (1 with a review)
Experience with Dr. Whitehurst
Dr. Whitehurst's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (8)
An incredible surgeon. Very kind and understanding. I have never met a surgeon with the amount of compassion for his patients and his work that Dr. Whitehurst has. He is the best.
Have you seen Dr. Jon B. Whitehurst, MD?

Compare Dr. Whitehurst

More Physical Therapists at OrthoIllinois

Dr. Whitehurst says...

Dr. Whitehurst's Care Philosophy

Dr. Whitehurst's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Physical Therapy
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Whitehurst has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Whitehurst's Board Certifications

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Internal Derangement of Knee

The Southern California Orthopedic Institute

Completed in 2002

Northwestern Center Feinberg School of Medicine

Graduated in 1985

Dr. Whitehurst does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Whitehurst and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Physical Therapy