Dr. John H. Wood III, MD

Dr. John H. Wood III, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

Chapel Hill Ophthalmology Clin 110 Conner Dr Ste 2, Chapel Hill, NC 27514 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

I have over 22 years of experience being a "Comprehensive Ophthalmologist" meaning that I treat a broad variety of eye conditions including, but not limited to, simple glasses exams, red eye, infections, dry eye, eye injuries, diabetic eye problems, cataracts, glaucoma, and retinal problems. I commonly see emergency "walk-in" patients who have painful eye conditions, have lost vision, or have some other acute eye problem. In addition to providing medical care and eye glasses exams, I perform many eye surgeries including LASIK, PRK, cataract, glaucoma, and lid surgery. My practice philosophy, and that of my office, is one of compassion, responsiveness, and responsibility towards our patients. In reviewing online ratings please take into account that I see up to 200 patients a week, and that, if for any reason you have a problem with our service or my care, please don't hesitate to call our office so that we can try to fix things for you.Read more

Dr. Wood III's Experience

99Experience
Match

See how Dr. Wood III's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Wood III

Dr. Wood III accepts 11 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Wood III has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Wood III's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wood III to family and friends
4.1
Experience with Dr. Wood III
Dr. Wood III's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (26)
Dr. John H. Wood III, MD says

I certainly appreciate the positive feedback and comments about our practice for those of you who left them.   However, if you left a negative comment, please understand that things are busy in medical practices these days and given that we are a busy practice, there is the possibility that some aspect of your visit did not go as we would like; we truly apologize for this, and ask that you contact us directly so that we can attempt to make your experience better. Thank you .

I received excellent care from Dr. Wood. I would recommend him
Pittsboro,NC |
Dr. Wood came in early to see me after I called with a vision problem. (I was not even a patient of his) He gave me a complete examination and determined I had stroke and contacted my physician and the ER to get me into care immediately. I truly appreciate the professionalism and care from the technicians, staff and Dr. Wood.
in RTP, NC |
Getting LASIK was one of the best decisions I have made, and it was certainly worth every penny. Dr. Wood and his staff were extremely professional in their care and walked me through each step in the process. They truly made it a stress free process. I couldn’t believe how fast the procedure was completed and how short the recovery time was. I have recommended Dr. Wood to family members and would recommend him to anyone looking to have eye correction surgery done.
in Pittsboro, NC |
Dr. Wood completed surgery on both of my eyes and it exceeded our expectations . He explained everything that was going to happen to be and my options. I am very happy with the results.
in Chapel hill, NC |
I highly recommend Dr. Wood. He performed Cataract surgery on both of my eyes. And I could not have chosen a better Doctor! He is highly competent and knowledgeable!
in Chapel Hill, NC |
Chapel Hill Ophthalmology provides great care and customer service. I've been going there for a few years now and I am very happy with their service. Dr. Wood and their staff are great! They are friendly and very helpful. I recently spent a lot of time dropping in to ask questions about contacts and glasses. The desk staff was very patient to review costs and insurance with me. The opticians helped a lot too!
in Durham, NC |
I moved to the area several months ago. I heard about Dr. Wood from a friend. I must admit I was a little hesitant to see Dr. Wood after I read some negative reviews from few patients here. But I am glad that I've made the right choice. Dr. Wood is a wonderful eye surgeon who is very concerned about his patients, is very personable and explains everything so you understand what is involved. His surgery results are outstanding and exceed our expectations.
in Pittsboro, NC |
Dr. Wood has been my Dr for many years. I thought when I first me him that he was lacking in "bedside manner". I soon realized that he only seemed to be distracted when he was thinking of how best to help. He will spend as much time as needed if you talk to him. Very knowledgeable and skilled Dr and surgeon. Recently had cataract surgery both eyes and total satisfaction. He has a great technical staff that he relies on with confidence, as do I. Some front desk staff could be more friendly.
in RTP, NC |
Each one of the staff was personable and professional. Dr. Wood answered all of my questions and gave me very helpful advice. I am glad I found this team of eye care professionals.
in Pittsboro, NC |
Spent less than 5 minutes with me and mumbled instructions to techs as if I weren't in the room. I was a retina, not a person. Will not return, and will advise friends and family against utilizing this provider.
in Durham, NC |
The 5 star ratings on this website must be falsified by Dr. Wood or his employees. I have never met a physician who is as cold and non-communicative as Dr. Wood. He spends minimal time with patients and is condescending and rushed. Most of the patient's interaction is with the staff.
in Carrboro, NC |
I was able to make an appointment for my Mother to be seen by Dr. Wood within one day. She is doing great now. Mom will have surgery with Dr. Wood in 2 Weeks, and she will be happy once again. Doctor and staff are great; accommodating, careful, and professional.
in Pittsboro, NC |
Dr. Wood is a splendid eye doctor. He did my cataract surgery and the before and after is amazing. I wish I had done it sooner. He is accepted by Blue Cross. He cares about his patients, is professional and very well educated.
in Cary, NC |
I was with other ophthalmologist for many years. Recently I went to Chapel Hill Ophthalmology. I have found their service to be excellent. After I signed up I only waited about several minutes, then an optician called me for eye service. It was so short waiting time. Dr. John Wood was very caring, kind, considerate, knowledgeable and very patient to answer my questions. He had great personality and was pleasant to deal with. The front desk and opticians were very professional and friendly too.
in Durham, NC |
We had been with other ophthalmologist for many years. Recently we saw Dr. Wood at Chapel Hill Ophthalmology. Dr. Wood gave thorough eye exams and was patient to answer our questions. Dr. Wood is very nice, knowledgeable and considerate. I am very happy with their excellent service.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
Over the weekend, I had an urgent issue with my eyes. Dr. Wood was on call, met me at the office, and spent time addressing my concerns. He contacted me the next day to ensure that I was doing well. He is truly a compassionate and knowledgeable physician. They don't make physicians like him anymore!
in Chapel Hill, NC |
Rushed through, impatient. Condescending.Not very gentle and/or courteous.
Chapel Hill, NC |
Dr. Wood was rude. And worse he made a very incorrect diagnosis. He tld me to use eye drops 4-6 times a day. I told him that I thought that the eye drops were irritating my eyes and he said Well try some others! I said that I had 6-7 kinds. He ignored me. I used drops and my eyes swelled up and the blood vessels turned very red. I went to another doctor and found out I was allergic to all those drops and since I stopped following Wood's advice, I am well.
in Chapel Hill, NC |
Dr. Wood is very kind and helpful (the contact/glasses team are as well!) I was out of town without my glasses when my contacts ripped. Unfortunately, I had forgotten an extra pair and it was NOT safe to drive without visual help. I called Dr. Wood on a Saturday and he went into the office (while he was working at Duke) to fax my prescription to a local Walmart. Basically he saved everyone on the road that day.
Carrboro, NC |
First appt: You see 1-3 techs in 3 different rooms who take your health history, do an eye chart test & then put eyedrops in for dilation before your very brief, rushed, most impersonal & condescending experience with the doctor. He can't be bothered to talk directly to you about his findings as he impatiently blurts out your condition to the tech (not you) as he needs to dart out of the room asap. Word of mouth not the excessive framed diplomas on the walls gets new patients. Bye Doc!
Have you seen Dr. John H. Wood III, MD?

Compare Dr. Wood III

• Ophthalmic Surgery

Why It Matters: Dr. Wood III's Board Certifications

• Ophthalmology

Dr. Wood III says..

I perform many eye surgeries including LASIK, PRK, cataract, glaucoma, and lid surgery, and we have very modern equipment including lasers to treat glaucoma, narrow angles, and diabetic retinopathy, and retinal tears and breaks.  For LASIK and PRK, I am certified on both the VISX and WaveLight laser platforms and use both of these. We have a Spectralis OCT/fluorescein/ICG unit for following macular degeneration

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Temporal Arteritis
  • Trichiasis
  • Uveitis and Iridocyclitis

Dr. Wood III says..

Advanced, state of the art cataract surgery is one of my focuses, and I perform dropless, bladeless, premium cataract surgery using intra-operative wavefront aberrometry.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Cataract Removal Surgery
  • Laser Ablation
  • Paracentesis of Anterior Eye
  • Refractive Surgery
  • Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

University Of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1990

Roanoke Meml Hospital

Completed in 1991

University Of Virginia Medical Center

Completed in 1994

Wake Forest University

Graduated in 1984

Dr. Wood III has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Wood III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wood III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Wood III's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Ophthalmology
  • Board certified in Ophthalmology
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Wood III

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Wood III's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Wood III

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Wood III's Care Philosophy

I have over 22 years of experience being a "Comprehensive Ophthalmologist" meaning that I treat a broad variety of eye conditions including, but not limited to, simple glasses exams, red eye, infections, dry eye, eye injuries, diabetic eye problems, cataracts, glaucoma, and retinal problems.  I commonly see emergency "walk-in" patients who have painful eye conditions, have lost vision, or have some other acute eye problem.

My practice philosophy, and that of my office, is one of compassion, responsiveness, and responsibility towards our patients.  In reviewing online ratings please take into account that I see up to 200 patients a week, and that, if for any reason you have a problem with our service or my care, please don't hesitate to call our office so that we can try to fix things for you.