Dr. John R. Whipple, MD

Dr. John R. Whipple, MD

Psychiatry | Male | 56 years old

My practice focus is based on an integrated, psychodynamic psychiatry model that utilizes both medication as well as psychotherapy and personal life coaching. I recognize the limitations of medications but believe they can assist in an individual's care. Equally important, however, I believe a good therapeutic relationship between the doctor and patient is critical to a successful outcome. I utilize a mentalization based psychotherapy approach to emotional and behavioral difficulties. My training in psychoanalysis and the dynamics within the therapeutic interaction also informs my attempts to help people achieve sustainable well-being.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Whipple's Experience

See how Dr. Whipple's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Whipple

Dr. Whipple's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Whipple to family and friends
2.9
Experience with Dr. Whipple
Dr. Whipple's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (7)
Dr. Whipple Says:

I take patient satisfaction very seriously.  Please, when you fill out a survey, add any relevant comments to your feedback.  I can only correct what I know went wrong and hope to continue to do what is right.  Success in your psychiatric care starts with a good working alliance between the doctor and the patient.

in Topeka, KS |
He was professional, pleasant, thorough and concerned. I felt comfortable and left his office looking forward to the next visit.
in Lawrence, KS |
I would recommend him because i feel peaceful after i attend our counseling sessions.
in Indianapolis, IN |
He is the coldest, most arrogant and nastiest psychiatrist I have ever encountered. He showed absolutely no empathy whatsoever. I would never go back to him for help, even if he was the last doctor on earth. NEVER go to this man if you want any help!!! As far as I can tell, he has no interest in helping people, only in taking their money.
As part of my practice, I conduct forensic evaluations on a variety of individuals. Many times they are not happy with my opinions. I strive to be empathetic and kind even in the face of contentious situations.
Have you seen Dr. John R. Whipple, MD?

Compare Dr. Whipple

Dr. Whipple says...

Dr. Whipple is a psychiatrist in private practice in Lawrence, KS. After attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine, I completed his psychiatric residency at the Karl Menninger School of Psychiatry in 1990. I started my psychoanalytic training while working as a staff psychiatrist at Menninger in Topeka. I was a faculty member at the Karl Menninger School of Psychiatry from 1990-1997 and  graduated from the Greater Kansas City Psychoanalytic Institute in 2006. I am a member of the AMA, American Psychiatric Association and the American Association of Physician Leaders (AAPL).  I am also a Fellow of the Institute of Coaching in Boston, MA.  For inquiries, please contact me at (785) 841-5555.

Dr. Whipple's Care Philosophy

My practice focus is based on an integrated, psychodynamic psychiatry model that utilizes both medication as well as psychotherapy and personal life coaching.  I recognize the limitations of medications but believe they can assist in an individual's care.  Equally important, however, I believe a good therapeutic relationship between the doctor and patient is critical to a successful outcome.  I utilize a mentalization based psychotherapy approach to emotional and behavioral difficulties.  My training in psychoanalysis and the dynamics within the therapeutic interaction also informs my attempts to help people achieve sustainable well-being.

Dr. Whipple says...

Dr. Whipple's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Psychiatry
  •  Board certified in Psychiatry
  •  Malpractice claims in Kansas not available

Dr. Whipple has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kansas.

Why It Matters: Dr. Whipple's Board Certifications

• Psychiatry

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Impulse Control Disorders

Topeka Institute Psychoa

Completed in 2001

Hobart College

Graduated in 1982

Dr. Whipple does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Whipple and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Psychiatry

• Group Psychotherapy
  • Medication Management
  • Psychotherapy Services

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.