Dr. John Whipple, MD

Dr. John Whipple, MD

Psychiatry  |
Dr. John Whipple, MD is a psychiatry doctor who practices in Lawrence, KS. He is 57 years old and has been practicing for 31 years. Read his story

730 New Hampshire St Ste 222

Lawrence, KS 66044

Learn about Dr. Whipple

See how frequently Dr. Whipple performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Psychiatric Evaluation

Dr. Whipple's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Whipple's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Whipple "Dr. Whipple is a psychiatrist in private practice in Lawrence, KS. After attending the University of Virginia School of Medicine, I completed his psychiatric residency at the Karl Menninger School of Psychiatry in 1990. I started my psychoanalytic training while working as a staff psychiatrist at Menninger in Topeka. I was a faculty member at the Karl Menninger School of Psychiatry from 1990-1997 and graduated from the Greater Kansas City Psychoanalytic Institute in 2006. I am a member of the AMA, American Psychiatric Association and the American Association of Physician Leaders (AAPL). I am also a Fellow of the Institute of Coaching in Boston, MA. For inquiries, please contact me at (785) 841-5555. "

This content was provided by Dr. Whipple "My practice focus is based on an integrated, psychodynamic psychiatry model that utilizes both medication as well as psychotherapy and personal life coaching.  I recognize the limitations of medications but believe they can assist in an individual's care.  Equally important, however, I believe a good therapeutic relationship between the doctor and patient is critical to a successful outcome.  I utilize a mentalization based psychotherapy approach to emotional and behavioral difficulties.  My training in psychoanalysis and the dynamics within the therapeutic interaction also informs my attempts to help people achieve sustainable well-being. "

• Psychiatry

• Psychiatry
    Accredited by: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology*

• Adjustment Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Impulse Control Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder

• Group Psychotherapy
  • Medication Management
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychotherapy Services

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kansas.

• Hobart College
  • Karl Menninger School Psyc
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1990
  • Topeka Institute Psychoa
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2001

Dr. Whipple has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Whipple does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Whipple and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Whipple's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Whipple to family and friends
3.4
Dr. Whipple Says:

I take patient satisfaction very seriously.  Please, when you fill out a survey, add any relevant comments to your feedback.  I can only correct what I know went wrong and hope to continue to do what is right.  Success in your psychiatric care starts with a good working alliance between the doctor and the patient.

Dr. Whipple's Performance
Covington, LA |
I found Dr. Whipped to be an excellent psychiatrist; probably one of the best. He knows medication and he is trained in psychoanalysis. His style suits me.
Lawrence, KS |
Medically, Dr. Whipple did a good job explaining issues and options. The reasons I would not recommend him are primarily logistical. Both of my two appointments started late - the first (end of the day) was more than 15 minutes behind schedule and the second was also delayed as he was late arriving at the office (I was the first patient that morning). Staff lost my information and it took three months to obtain the necessary paperwork so that I could file the claim for my insurance carrier.
Lawrence, KS |
Dr. Whipple is very good at working with different medications to get the optimum result for his patients. He is always available to listen and is very approachable
Lawrence, KS |
I've had great doctors, good doctors and some very poor doctors across a variety of fields and disciplines in different cities, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Whipple to anyone searching for a psychiatrist who can provide more than a 'medication-only' outlook. He continues to provide new insights -- most of which I haven't heard of before, and has taken ample time to listen. He also takes time to review your file and your medical issues spanning across appointments. Highly recommend.
in Topeka, KS |
Pleasant, comfortable, caring. a good listener
in Lawrence, KS |
I would recommend him because i feel peaceful after i attend our counseling sessions.
in Indianapolis, IN |
He is the coldest, most arrogant and nastiest psychiatrist I have ever encountered. He showed absolutely no empathy whatsoever. I would never go back to him for help, even if he was the last doctor on earth. NEVER go to this man if you want any help!!! As far as I can tell, he has no interest in helping people, only in taking their money.
As part of my practice, I conduct forensic evaluations on a variety of individuals. Many times they are not happy with my opinions. I strive to be empathetic and kind even in the face of contentious situations.
Have you seen Dr. John Whipple, MD?

Child & Adolescent Psychiatry