Dr. John Urse III, DO

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. John Urse III, DO
Dr. John Urse III, DO is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Dayton, OH. He is 61 years old and has been practicing for 35 years. Dr. Urse III is affiliated with Wilson Memorial Hospital, Miami Valley Hospital, Wayne HealthCare, Kettering Medical Center and Grandview Medical Center.

Dr. Urse III's Care Philosophy

To provide patients the best information and treatment options regarding their musculoskeletal conditions. I utilize non-operative, alternative and complimentary, and surgical therapies to optimize best treatment methods for my patients.

Dr. Urse III's Experience

See how Dr. Urse III's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Urse III

Dr. Urse III accepts 30 insurance carriers

Dr. Urse III is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Urse III has admitting privileges.

Dr. Urse III's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Urse III to family and friends
    Dr. Urse III Says:

Thank you for your feedback, as this will be helpful in improving patient care and concerns.

Please call 937-415-9100, extension 331 and speak with my medical assistant Sheila, if needed.

Respectfully, Dr. Urse

Dr. Urse III's Performance
    in Dayton, OH |
    I had a complete knee replacement surgery in November 2016 and then my second complete knee replacement in May 2017. Dr. Urse is personable and explained everything to my satisfaction. I had a harder time with the 2nd surgery and he was adamant for me to start rehab in the facility in the Southview Hospital Network right next to his office. My range of motion went from 63 degrees to 114 degrees in 5 weeks. I would recomment Dr. Urse to anybody needing knee replacement surgery.
    Vandalia, OH |
    My experience with Dr. Urse has been very good. His explanation of the condition of my shoulder and what could be done about it was clear and easy to understand. I eventually had to have more than one surgery, but there was improvement in joint function after each procedure. His "bedside manner" is excellent. Should I have any issues with the shoulder (or other orthopedic questions) in the future, I won't hesitate to see him.
    in Xenia, OH |
    I went with a friend who was seeing Dr. Urse for a second opinion after another doctor told him he needed a complete shoulder rebuild. Dr. Urse was bottom line but thorough, professional and gave options. After a cortisone shot and switching from several Advil a day to a combination of Curcumin, Fish Oils and Boswellia my dear friend has improved movement and is sleeping through the night. If pain returns we will follow up with Dr. Urse moving forward. I like smart people - Dr Urse is smart!!
    in Dayton, OH |
    April of 20017, I had a total knee replacement. I'm happy to report that I am a completely satisfied patient! Dr Urse was thorough! He discussed with me what type of knee I would be getting, what to expect before, during, and post surgery. He is so easy to get along with. I feel he is passionate about what he does because he does it so well. Highly recommend him! He doesn't force the decision down your throat. He exhausts every possibility before surgery.
    in Dayton, OH |
    Dr. Urse replaced my hip in March 2017. His easy going manner and confidence put me at ease right away. He was thorough when going over everything about my surgery and happily answered all my questions. He replaced my hip and i have had no issues at all. His assistant Sheila Nash is great! She takes care of business and makes it look effortless. She is as kind a person that i have ever met in my life. I highly recommend Dr. Urse and would without a doubt go back to him with any Orthopedic issue.
    in Dayton, OH |
    I have had shoulder and most recently total hip replacement surgery by Dr Urse. HE is a brilliant Doctor !! I called his office in excruciating pain and I was seen that afternoon!! DR Urse is caring, compassionate and takes the time to listen to your concerns and answers questions directly. I am recovering from total hip replacement (due to broken hip) and I am extremely happy and comfortable with my progress. I highly recommend Dr Urse and his asst Sheila!!! The Best!!
    in Springfield, OH |
    Professional - very; beyond that treats you like family - completely explains options so you can understand. He has done remarkable things to stop pain and keep me mobile. In addition to pre and post op visits he even sent flowers and called me at home to checkup several times. I also appreciate his not offering surgery as the first option and willingness to refer to other procedures or doctors whom could help. I truly trust this man and friend. Jacqueline A. Lewis
    in Dayton, OH |
    I am over 300+ pounds and on Feb. 7, 2017, Dr. Urse changed my life. I was walking bone on bone in my left hip for over 3 years. Muscles were tightening, pain was growing, and I could hear the bones in my knee and hip grinding. Other doctors would not do the surgery believing complications would cause problems. Ten days from surgery I was walking, taking care of myself again, and driving my car. Best of all, I am riding my exercise bike, and planning a trip to Kings Island and Disney.
    in Blanchester, OH |
    Dr. Urse is spectacular! He accomplished in one visit what someone else could not do in three months. He uses cutting edge technology and is up to speed on the latest innovations in his field. Thanks a million for giving me a pain free life!!!!
    in Lebanon, Ohio |
    I left my other doctor , because he wasn't doing hips any longer. I got on the internet and found someone close and I picked Dr. John Urse III, he was everything I needed and did a wonderful job on my hip. I was very pleased with him and his staff. I liked his smile and he was very qualified. His assistant Tony was also a pleasure to work with.
    in Eaton, OH |
    I was able to get in and get an appointment. My family physician referred to him as a "rock star". He is a to-the-point" kind of guy. Laid out options for treatment clearly. Wasn't afraid to make a recommendation. Staff very helpful, even going so far as to offer options where I could purchase supplies and equipment. Surgery day went flawlessly; support staff were tremendous. Personal follow-up by Dr Urse day after surgery was great. Phys therapy staff was OUTSTANDING!
    in Sidney, OH |
    Dr Urse did my hip labral tear repair. He did a great job and it was feeling better immediately. He and his team were very thorough investigating why I was having pain. I would definitely recommend Dr. Urse and Orthopedic Associates of SW Ohio again!
    in Sidney, Oh |
    Dr. Urse and his staff are very professional in the treatment of their patients. I have had several joint replaced by Dr. Urse, each one was great success. I have excellent range of motion in my shoulders, hips and knees. I have recommended Dr. Urse to my family and my friends. RonI.
    in Clayton, OH |
    This guy and his team are amazing. My first knee replacement was severely botched and he has been a God send. 9 weeks out I'm getting 0 deg. extension and 132 deg flex. He was great as well as the onsite physical therapy team. I would recommend him to anyone in my family.
    in Eaton, OH |
    Dr John Urse is the BEST! He explains the procedure and is very skilled at doing the surgery. I highly recommend him for any Ortho need.
    in Brecksville, OH |
    Dr.Urse recently performed a PRP and Stem Cell procedure on both of my knees. Having limited knowledge of the procedure, Dr.Urse took the time to explain the process and the benefits. Dr.Urse was extremely informative allowing me to make an informed decision. Dr Urse was very compassionate during the procedure and provided great follow up. I would highly recommend visiting Dr Urse as your Orthopedic Surgeon.
    Dayton, OH |
    Dr Urse is a great orthopedic surgeon who really cares about his patients. I highly recommend him for orthopedic needs.
    in Dayton, OH |
    Dr Urse treated me for a severe case of tennis elbow. I was in severe pain and very limited on activities I once enjoyed. On June 30, 2016, he performed a procedure on my elbow in which my own blood was drawn, spun, and my platelet enriched plasma was then injected into the elbow/tendon area. I had minimal down time, and very little discomfort from the procedure. Six weeks out, and I am truly pain free. I am confident this procedure, performed by this very qualified physician, has worked.
    in Xenia, OH |
    Dr. Urse has a very reassuring manner and a great sense of humor. He is also very efficient. I'd recommend him to anyone!
    in Dayton, OH |
    Dr. Urse has a great skill and I got wonderful overall results. However, don't expect return calls timely from his medical staff and don't expect your refund processed quickly. I had to wait 3 months for my refund. I would totally recommend Dr Urse to friends/family but I would hate to subject them to additional frustration because of his staff...
    in Xenia, Ohio 45385 |
    Knows what he's doing. Excellent manor. Grandview hospital was excellent. I would highly recommend dr. Urse and his choices for treatment, staff and hospital.
    in Vandalia, OH |
    My third surgery with Dr. Urse, he takes time for you to understand what he is doing for you.
    in Dayton, OH |
    Dr. Urse was amazing!! He is so so nice and very funny!! He was so kind enough to come in and see me on his day off. He went over everything in enough detail that both my mom and I could understand! He is an excellent doctor and I'm so glad we chose him! Thank you so much Dr. Urse!!
    in Dayton, OH |
    Wow! Doctor Urse has changed over the years! Due to insurance changes, I had to leave him a few years ago and with insurance changes again, I am back with him! He is a much more pleasant and caring doctor than he used to be. And, I have seen him at every appt. Not, some doctor studying under him. He really takes his time to explain everything and seems to really care. I am happy to be back with him and after a recent surgery performed by him, I plan on keeping him as my Orthopedic doctor!
    in Springboro, OH |
    Dr Urse is awesome at explaining your condition, giving options & helping you make informed decisions. I ended up having surgery on my shoulder & the next day the doctor himself called to check-up on me. I was especially impressed with that phone call since most doctors do not talk directly to patients on the phone.
    He was very personable, highly professional. He had Reviewed my mri dvd an walked in with a full knowledge of what to do in my particular case. He does not waste your time. My surgery was at Grandview Hosp., where another nice expression of Dr. Urse s attention to detail, he gives each of his patients a vase of carnations. Surgery went fine, Dr. Urse an his staff honored my need for alll the anti nausea meds in their arsenal..which made the process less stressful. 3 wks out & doing fine.
    in Troy, OH |
    Dr. Urse has thoroughly explained various options for treatment. After trying lower level interventions, arthroscopy of my arthritic knee was recommended. The procedure went smoothly. I was on my feet right after surgery and did not require the use of any pain medication. I always felt that the options for treatment were in my hands, but he always kept me aware of alternatives. He is upbeat in his approach, confident and very personable.
    in Lebanon, Ohio |
    My surgeries were both successful; the Rehab associated with this office was awesome. They pushed me to achieve my goals. Highly recommended.
    in Dayton, OH |
    Dr Urse is a wonderful surgeon as well as a straight forward no non sense type of person. He makes you feel as if you are talking with a friend a opposed to just another Doctor. He makes sure that the patient understands everything that has been discussed regarding the up coming procedure.
    Dayton, OH |
    Dr Urse III is amazing and will work with you to fix the problem
    in Columbus |
    He's the best in the Midwest!!!
    in Enon, OH |
    Dr. Urse is amazing and I highly recommend him. I am very picky about who I see and couldn't trust anyone more!
    in Kettering, OH |
    Dr. Urse recently completed my partial knee replacement surgery. He spent time explaining the procedure, following up with visits to my room while in the hospital and phone calls when I returned home. At my 2-week follow up visit, he gave me specific information on how to continue to improve my knee flexibility and reduce pain. His nurse, Sheila, is amazing and always responds to questions, helping throughout the office visits, hospital/surgery scheduling,etc. Definitely recommend Dr. Urse.
    in Dayton,oh |
    I have been with Dr. Urse since 2000 & I wouldn't go to any other doctor. He treats you with respect & like you are a member of his own family. I have a very bad shoulder & to me he is the best shoulder doctor in the area. I was sent to another doctor because my shoulder is so bad but came back to doctor Urse & was glad to be back with him because of his bedside manner & treatment of his patients.
    in Fairborn, OH |
    Dr. Urse is an excellent doctor! He treated my broken clavicle as if it was his own, was very knowledgeable about the injury, and is very personable!
    Have you seen Dr. John Urse III, DO?
    Are you Dr. Urse III?

Dr. Urse III's Care Philosophy

Dr. Urse III says...

I perform hip arthroscopy, both inside the hip joint for labral repairs and femeroacetabular impingement (FAI),  but also for hip bursitis and gluteus medius repairs, which I perform through the scope as an outpatient procedure.

I currently am an instructor for hip arthroscopy through the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA).

I have performed rotator cuff repairs of the shoulder through the scope since 2003, and also do partial and total shoulder replacements.

I utilize MRI-based technology for partial and total knee replacements.

I have additional training in office and operative ultrasound use for both diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal problems.  I also use Platelet -rich Plasma (PRP) in both office and operative cases for arthritis, ligament injuries, and tendon injuries.

Dr. Urse III says...

Respectfully, Dr. Urse

Dr. Urse III's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Malpractice claims in Ohio not available

• American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics - Past President, 2003
      • Master Hip Instructor - Arthroscopy Asso. of N. America, 2012, 2013
      • Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery, 1991
      • Associate Professor - Ohio University & De Moines Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, Current
      • Ohio Orthopedic Society - Board Member, 2012

Dr. Urse III has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

Why It Matters: Dr. Urse III's Board Certifications

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
    • De Quervain's Disease
    • Elbow Bursitis
    • Elbow Sprain
    • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
    • Femur Fracture
    • Foot Fracture
    • Foot Sprain
    • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
    • Ganglion Cyst
    • Knee Dislocation
    • Knee Fracture
    • Knee Sprain
    • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
    • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
    • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
    • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
    • Lumbar Spine Fracture

Graduated in 1978

• Other Education
      Assoc Master Instructor Hip Arthroscopy With Arthroscopy Assoc. N. America

Completed in 2012

Dr. Urse III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Urse III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Hip Surgery

• Knee Surgery
    • Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
    • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
    • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
    • MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
    • Meniscectomy
    • Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement
    • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
    • Partial Shoulder Replacement
    • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
    • Reverse Total Shoulder and Total Shoulder Replacement