Dr. John Thomas, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 43

Dr. Thomas

Atlantic Neurosurgical and Spine Specialists

2208 S 17th St Ste 201 Wilmington, NC 28401

Dr. John Thomas, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Wilmington, NC and has been practicing for 10 years. He graduated from Georgetown University in 2004 and specializes in neurosurgery and minimally invasive neurological spine surgery.

Compare Doctors

Quickly compare more Neurosurgeons in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Thomas accepts

Dr. Thomas accepts the following insurance:

Assurant Health
Commercial Insurance Company
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Health Net
Medicare Advantage PFFS
Kaiser Permanente

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.

Typically treats 83% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 16 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Spinal Fusion

Dr. Thomas performs Spinal Fusion more than 100% of their peers

Dr. Thomas performs this procedure more than 100% of their peers

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)

Dr. Thomas performs Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy) more than 100% of their peers

Dr. Thomas performs this procedure more than 100% of their peers

Dr. Thomas' Top Procedures and Conditions

Spinal Fusion

Dr. Thomas performs Spinal Fusion more than 100% of his peers

Dr. Thomas performs this procedure more than 100% of his peers

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)

Dr. Thomas performs Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy) more than 100% of his peers

Dr. Thomas performs this procedure more than 100% of his peers

• Broken Neck
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cranial Trauma
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Craniopharyngioma
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Hematoma
  • Extradural Hemorrhage
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. John Thomas, MD...

Offer evening visits?

Offer an online patient portal portal?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Have free onsite parking?

Offer weekend visits?

Dr. Thomas' Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Thomas

4.5

87.09677419354838%

Dr. Thomas?
Dr. Thomas' Performance
What People Say About Dr. John Thomas, MD
It's been exactly a year since my surgery. I wanted to wait till I was fully recover before doing a review. Let me say, I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Thomas and his entire staff. They were amazing through the whole process. From start to finish everyone was great. They all were very helpful, never rushed, and I always felt at ease. Any time I had a question they were there and spent as much time as I needed. Dr. Thomas & Jack Bagley spent a lot of time explaining the problem, the solution, and what to expect at every step along the way. This was a huge help post-op and through recovery. They were very honest with me and looking back, they were spot on. Long story short, 1 year later, I am so glad that I found them, and had the procedure. I have about 90% less pain, and can do pretty much anything I want to without worrying. Again, I can not say enough good things about Dr. Thomas, Jack, Crimson, the entire team, including Dr. medley, and all of the OR staff at NHRMC.
Mike – Apr 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Not only did I get wonderful recommendations for him, I found him to be compassionate and kind. He listened and took time to answer all concerns.
Jane McDermott – Mar 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
My hero! Prior to my triple lumbar fusion I could only tolerate short distance walking before low back pain occurred and need to sit down. Post op 3 months my activity tolerance dramatically improved with minimal discomfort. Able to start PT including pool walking 1 hr daily. At 6 months I was able to go on a 17 day Italy trip walk over 50 miles hills stairs with no discomfort! This is why DrThomas is my hero I have my life back.
Sep 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
He took care of me very quickly, knowing the severity of my problem. He was very confident that he could take care of it and it put me at ease. Couldn't ask for a better doctor!
Michael Cioffi – Aug 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I struggled with severe pain in my buttocks, shot down my leg and caused my feet to go numb for many years. The last 2 years I was very sedentary due to the pain I experienced when walking or standing. I was referred to Dr. Thomas who recommended a double fusion. I had this surgery this past June, and was walking 3 miles/day 9 days after surgery! Dr. Thomas, Jack Bagley (PA), and Crimson (surgical scheduler) are a great team and were with me through every step of this process. THANK YOU!!!
Rhonda Turner in Wilmington, NC – Oct 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I never got to see Dr. Thomas after waiting 5 weeks to see him after making appt. 45 mins. after I arrived I was told he was not in the office. A phone call may have been prudent by the office staff. Met with a hostile MA who basically said it my ball my game my rules. The PA Was my only option or I could reschedule and the next appt was in mid October. SHE LIED. A very very poor experience for sure.
Thomas Minichello in Leland, NC – Jul 12, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I had a fusion, and a discectomy. Both were done orthoscopic. Dr. Thomas does not rush you into surgery. Lets you know if your a candidate, thoroughly explains your particular situation and possible options. I was in pain management until it no longer work and then went to surgery. He explains well and thoroughly, his office and staff are very responsive, and I always felt important and well-cared-for. Highly recommend him
Maria Wheeler in bolivia, NC – Jun 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I had a cyst pressing on nerves in my lower back. After surgery I walked out of the hospital pain free.
Ocean Isle Beach – Feb 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Have seen Dr Thomas for over a year for a herniated disk. Last year pain management helped-not this year. Just had Microdiskectomy surgery And everyone will ask "did it work?" It is more painful is that I expected and it may not work. But I believe he's a good doctor. I had cold feet 10 min before surgery and Dr Thomas gave me the option to cancel. I'm recovering and better on day 5. I'm recommending Dr Thomas based not on unknown results but on his outstanding knowledge and demeaner
Dennis S in Sunset Beach, NC – Sep 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
He returned to me a quality of life I had not experienced in 12 very long years. Dr. Thomas is a true physician and wonderful human being.
Russell S. Strader in Emerald Isle. N. C. – Jul 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
My experience with Dr. Thomas was excellent! He went over and above to help me get my surgery scheduled when my insurance company was not cooperating. I checked him out before surgery, as I am in the medical field myself, and heard only extremely positive remarks. I was walking 3 miles 13 days post-op,when, before surgery, I could go about 2 blocks before having to sit due to pain. I had the lateral approach fusion L4-5, and I honestly could not have asked for a better result!
Carrie in Southport, NC – Jul 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas has given me a new lease on life. I had previously undergone three failed spine surgeries leaving me in constant pain and discomfort. Qualified, Caring and Compassionate describe his manner with honest and straightforward answers to my obvious concerns. I highly recommend Dr. Thomas and his staff. To his credit, I can honestly say that I have been pain and discomfort free since his corrective surgery and the healing process has been so much better.
RMcKenna in North Myrtle Beach, SC – Dec 15, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas and his entire clinical team are exceptional in their diagnosis and treatment.
Colleen Richling in Ocean Isle Beach, NC – Oct 28, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Was very personable, listened to my concerns and was prompt to advise treatment. Entire staff from Medical assistant, physician assistant to scheduler was proficient and professional. Dr. Thomas was excellent in explaining the process and I had a good outcome. His blog is informative and easy to read and to understand.
Donald Variot in Wilmington, NC – Oct 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr Thomas is a very good doctor who I feel has great concern for his patients. He always made me feel that he was determined to make me feel better and he did. I feel better than I have felt in 3 years. No more pain thank God. Thank you Dr. Thomas for a job well done!!!
Dr Alex Thomas in Wilmington, NC – Sep 09, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas didn't seem to think my large brain tumor was worth operating on. Luckily, I am being referred to Duke.
Unhappy in Jacksonville, NC – Aug 03, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
You can't even get in to see the doctor because of the front staff!!! Horrible experience for someone who has back pain, they say they need a referral even if your insurance doesn't require one and you have been to another specialist in the north east. You can't even make an appointment which is ridiculous and very unprofessional and uncaring. We only wish we could have seen the doctor. They need to change their policies and staff.
Richard in Wilmington, NC – Jul 13, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas Is truly an outstanding surgeon, along with his PA-C Jack Bagley, they makeup the BEST medical team in the State of NC if not the nation. Today I am pain free. I Thank GOD for these two Men. If you are looking for a Neurosurgeon, look no further than Atlantic Neurological & Spine Specialists. Dr J. Alex Thomas and PA-C Jack Bagley.
James DeBose in Castle Hayne, NC – Jun 21, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas removed a herniated disk that had caused me pain and numbness for years during a surgery that lasted less than an hour. I was able to walk out of the surgical suite and enjoyed the first pain-free day in over 10 years. Recovery time was less than a week overall, and I was back to work 48 hours after surgery. Very skilled and talented surgeon.
Joe S. in Wilmington, NC – Jun 16, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas was absolutely the best. Great bedside manner and great surgeon. Very friendly and patient, with a great sense of humor. He had to do two different surgeries on my back and both went great. Thank you. FFC
Florence Campanella in Southport, NC – May 31, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Thomas?

I am a neurosurgeon who specializes in advanced minimally-invasive techniques in cranial and spinal surgery. Patients who undergo minimally-invasive spinal surgery (versus traditional spinal surgery) have been proven to have lower infection rate, less blood loss, shorter hospital stays and faster recoveries. These techniques allow my patients to have the best possible outcomes after surgery.

• Neurosurgery