Dr. John Thomas, MD

Neurosurgery ·  Male · Age 42

Dr. Thomas

Dr. John Thomas, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Wilmington, NC and has been practicing for 9 years. He graduated from Georgetown University in 2004 and specializes in neurosurgery and minimally invasive neurological spine surgery.

Make an appointment

Dr. Thomas accepts

Dr. Thomas accepts the following insurance:

Assurant Health
Commercial Insurance Company
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
Health Net
Medicare Advantage PFFS
Kaiser Permanente

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Check Dr. Thomas' experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Thomas' Top Procedures and Conditions

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)

Dr. Thomas performs Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy) more than 100% of his peers

Dr. Thomas performs this procedure more than 100% of his peers

• Broken Neck
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Hematoma
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Transphenoidal Surgery
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

I am a neurosurgeon who specializes in advanced minimally-invasive techniques in cranial and spinal surgery. Patients who undergo minimally-invasive spinal surgery (versus traditional spinal surgery) have been proven to have lower infection rate, less blood loss, shorter hospital stays and faster recoveries. These techniques allow my patients to have the best possible outcomes after surgery.

• Neurosurgery

86.20689655172414%

Dr. Thomas?
Dr. Thomas' Performance
What People Say About Dr. John Thomas, MD
I struggled with severe pain in my buttocks, shot down my leg and caused my feet to go numb for many years. The last 2 years I was very sedentary due to the pain I experienced when walking or standing. I was referred to Dr. Thomas who recommended a double fusion. I had this surgery this past June, and was walking 3 miles/day 9 days after surgery! Dr. Thomas, Jack Bagley (PA), and Crimson (surgical scheduler) are a great team and were with me through every step of this process. THANK YOU!!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I never got to see Dr. Thomas after waiting 5 weeks to see him after making appt. 45 mins. after I arrived I was told he was not in the office. A phone call may have been prudent by the office staff. Met with a hostile MA who basically said it my ball my game my rules. The PA Was my only option or I could reschedule and the next appt was in mid October. SHE LIED. A very very poor experience for sure.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I had a fusion, and a discectomy. Both were done orthoscopic. Dr. Thomas does not rush you into surgery. Lets you know if your a candidate, thoroughly explains your particular situation and possible options. I was in pain management until it no longer work and then went to surgery. He explains well and thoroughly, his office and staff are very responsive, and I always felt important and well-cared-for. Highly recommend him
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I had a cyst pressing on nerves in my lower back. After surgery I walked out of the hospital pain free.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Have seen Dr Thomas for over a year for a herniated disk. Last year pain management helped-not this year. Just had Microdiskectomy surgery And everyone will ask "did it work?" It is more painful is that I expected and it may not work. But I believe he's a good doctor. I had cold feet 10 min before surgery and Dr Thomas gave me the option to cancel. I'm recovering and better on day 5. I'm recommending Dr Thomas based not on unknown results but on his outstanding knowledge and demeaner
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
He returned to me a quality of life I had not experienced in 12 very long years. Dr. Thomas is a true physician and wonderful human being.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
My experience with Dr. Thomas was excellent! He went over and above to help me get my surgery scheduled when my insurance company was not cooperating. I checked him out before surgery, as I am in the medical field myself, and heard only extremely positive remarks. I was walking 3 miles 13 days post-op,when, before surgery, I could go about 2 blocks before having to sit due to pain. I had the lateral approach fusion L4-5, and I honestly could not have asked for a better result!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas has given me a new lease on life. I had previously undergone three failed spine surgeries leaving me in constant pain and discomfort. Qualified, Caring and Compassionate describe his manner with honest and straightforward answers to my obvious concerns. I highly recommend Dr. Thomas and his staff. To his credit, I can honestly say that I have been pain and discomfort free since his corrective surgery and the healing process has been so much better.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas and his entire clinical team are exceptional in their diagnosis and treatment.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Was very personable, listened to my concerns and was prompt to advise treatment. Entire staff from Medical assistant, physician assistant to scheduler was proficient and professional. Dr. Thomas was excellent in explaining the process and I had a good outcome. His blog is informative and easy to read and to understand.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr Thomas is a very good doctor who I feel has great concern for his patients. He always made me feel that he was determined to make me feel better and he did. I feel better than I have felt in 3 years. No more pain thank God. Thank you Dr. Thomas for a job well done!!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas didn't seem to think my large brain tumor was worth operating on. Luckily, I am being referred to Duke.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
You can't even get in to see the doctor because of the front staff!!! Horrible experience for someone who has back pain, they say they need a referral even if your insurance doesn't require one and you have been to another specialist in the north east. You can't even make an appointment which is ridiculous and very unprofessional and uncaring. We only wish we could have seen the doctor. They need to change their policies and staff.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas Is truly an outstanding surgeon, along with his PA-C Jack Bagley, they makeup the BEST medical team in the State of NC if not the nation. Today I am pain free. I Thank GOD for these two Men. If you are looking for a Neurosurgeon, look no further than Atlantic Neurological & Spine Specialists. Dr J. Alex Thomas and PA-C Jack Bagley.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas removed a herniated disk that had caused me pain and numbness for years during a surgery that lasted less than an hour. I was able to walk out of the surgical suite and enjoyed the first pain-free day in over 10 years. Recovery time was less than a week overall, and I was back to work 48 hours after surgery. Very skilled and talented surgeon.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Dr. Thomas was absolutely the best. Great bedside manner and great surgeon. Very friendly and patient, with a great sense of humor. He had to do two different surgeries on my back and both went great. Thank you. FFC
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
This young man is great! Quite courteousness, attentive and well educated.I had back surgery in 2013 and am doing great no further pain. I might mention Jack his PA are quite the team.I tell everyone about them without any reservations they are the best!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
Gary O. , Bolivia, NC April 6, 16 Dr. Thomas was always professional and listened to my issues, reviewed my MRI then carefully and clearly explained my options. He performed spinal surgery for a tethered cord. His attentiveness and bed side manner while I was hospitalized was outstanding. The results were fantastic. Six weeks post surgery I have a 90% pain abatement and sleep through the night without pain for the first time in several years. My only regreat is that I didn't find him sooner!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
dr. thomas and staff treated me three times for back and neck issues. each was successful and i was back to normal in a short time. have refered other people to him and would refer anyone who asks
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Thomas, MD?
I would NOT recommend Dr. Thomas to anyone suffering with back pain.. I was told they could do other techniques besides surgery to help my back problems. I brought in 2 MRI's which clearly show many issues in my back. I have sciatica pain that makes me limp. I was seen for a whole 4 minutes. I was told there was nothing they could do. Maybe I should see a chiropractor (2 Dr's have advised against). Or a rheumatologist. He acted as if my back issues were nothing and I was an inconvenience.
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Thomas?

Atlantic Neurosurgical and Spine Specialists

• Sat: closed

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Thomas treats patients.

Compare Providers