Dr. John Tanner, DO

Addiction MedicineMaleAge 70

Addiction Medicine

Dr. John Tanner, DO is a Addiction Medicine Specialist in Jacksonville Beach, FL and has over 39 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine medical school in 1983. He is affiliated with Baptist Medical Center Beaches. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. John Tanner, DO

Beach office--Beaches Addictive & Behavioral Health

340 16th Ave N Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250 ()

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Addiction Medicine Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for Florida

Check if Dr. Tanner treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Tanner's conditions and procedures:

• Addiction
  • ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Alcohol or Substance Misuse Screening and Counseling
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Alzheimer's Disease
  • Anorexia
  • Attention Problems
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Bulimia
  • Cocaine Addiction
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Cognitive Disorders
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Hallucinogen Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opiate Dependence
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Panic Attack
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychological Evaluation
  • Somatoform Disorders
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Tobacco Use Disorder

Dr. Tanner accepts

Dr. Tanner accepts the following insurance:

Beech Street (Multiplan)

Dr. Tanner's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Tanner

4.2

Dr. Tanner

Dr. Tanner was helpful in giving me good options to help with my anxiety and depression.
Jan 27, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
I have been seeing Dr. Tanner for several years now and I can't say enough positive things about him. He listens, he takes a lot of time with you and he definitely has an understanding of the addiction cycle, especially when chronic pain is involved. Many doctors are very judgmental and punitive when it comes to addiction, even when it is related to chronic pain. They don't seem to understand, so the patient feels lack of trust and more shame. Dr. Tanner has the knowledge and empathy to treat this condition so that the patient feels less shame and more empowered to deal with their problem.
Jan 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
I’ve been a patient of Dr. Tanner‘s for 10+ years… First, I am truly impressed with their new clean facility… The TV monitor and nice music while waiting is a plus ! Millie, is his staff and is always eager to help with insurance and scheduling. I am truly grateful for the attention and care I receive monthly from Dr. Tanner. Without Dr. Tanner sharing his encyclopedic knowledge of addiction and mental illness, I would not be able to help myself or others who suffer. I count myself lucky to have found him, he had cared for me at my worst and has helped me at my best.
Bailey – Sep 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
I left the below comments and posted 5 on all rankings to questions .. not sure why it posted only 3 stars ?
G.Bailey – Sep 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
Best Dr. office in town as they do everything they can to look out for their patients. We just had a hurricane here and I needed a prescription filled as we were Leaving town. They called four pharmacies and found the medication for me, ABOVE AND BEYOND! Highly recommend
Brian – Sep 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
- 1st off, the average wait time is way off! I’ve never been called back without waiting at least 30+ minutes past my appt. (sometimes over an hr). -2nd, If your focus is only addiction then he’s a very intelligent doctor with a strict, yet low pressure approach, but having a psych dr. thats only open 3 days a week could present problems if/when you might have a depression/anxiety situation occur. In my experience, those don’t always occur during office hours! (They say 24 hr response after hours, sometimes!) - 3rd, once you finally have the ok to come back and great him for your appointment, don’t be disappointed when all he does after the first 10 minutes of your hour appt. is tap, tap, tap, on his computer all the while your trying to explain your mental situation as it seemingly falls upon resistant ears. Finally you’ll just give up and sit there twiddling your thumbs for the remaining minutes! Month after month.. Needless to say I found a better situation for myself elsewhere.
  • Long wait times
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Aug 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
Dr. Tanner is a fine mental health provider and addiction treatment expert. He is polite and thorough. I would recommend very highly for those needing psychiatric or addiction help. Some doctors who treat addiction are demeaning to their patients. Dr. Tanner treats everyone with respect and listens carefully and responsively to his patients. His wife, Millie, handles appointments and the check-in process. She is efficient, friendly, and thorough as well.
Robert in Neptune Beach, FL – Jul 17, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
I’ve been going to Dr. Tanner now for 10 years! He’s an amazing doctor who is highly educated in the field of addiction. He has helped me get my life together after a hydrocodone addiction that I got when I had 3 years of back pain and 3 surgeries! He goes around the country to speak at seminars to help other doctors learn the best protocols! Thank you Dr. Tanner and Mrs. Millie for everything!!
Margie in Germantown, MD – Dec 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
Dr. Tanner definitely likes to spend a lot of time with his patients almost too much time. The secretary tried to overcharge me on my initial visit. After that I was brought to the bathroom and told to take a drug test as soon as I came in. Doctor Tanner did not want to write me a specific medication that's I normally take for my anxiety which was a little upsetting. Needless to say suspended my service and went to find another psychiatrist.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
Pat in Jacksonville , FL – Feb 16, 2017
Sorry Pat. We make our office fees very clear...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
Dr.Tanner is hands down the best Addiction Specialist Dr you will find. He is passionate about what he does & he truly cares for the well being of his patients. He constantly attends seminars & speaking events so he is either helping others or learning how to further help patients. He takes great pride in what he does & it shows. If you are serious about recovery, so is Dr. Tanner. I would give him a bazillion stars if it were an option. Millie is fantastic as well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Laura in Orlando, FL – Feb 05, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
I've been coming to see Dt Tanner for around 10 years he has completely changed my life. He has been there for me the entire process I really don't know where I would be without his help and guidance I would recommend him to anyone looking to change there lives for the better once and for all. He truly is a doctor with passion for you're wellbeing in mind I can't thank him enough for all of the years he has been here for me Thank you thank you thank you
Daytona fl – Jan 04, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?
Dr. Tanner is an amazing Physician! One of his specialties is in the treatment of drug & alcohol addiction, and if you, or a loved one is in need of help, he's your man. I'm speaking from experience and I am so very thankful to Dr. Tanner for helping me get me sober and stay sober. I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone and everyone. His level of knowledge, expertise, kindness and compassion is unsurpassed in my experience.
Jacksonville – Dec 24, 2015
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Tanner, DO?

How was your experience with Dr. Tanner?