Dr. John Tanner, DO

Dr. John Tanner, DO

Addiction Medicine  |
Dr. John Tanner, DO is an addiction medicine doctor who practices in Jacksonville Beach, FL. He is 66 years old and has been practicing for 34 years.

340 16th Ave N

Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

• Mayo Clinic

Learn about Dr. Tanner

Dr. Tanner's Experience

Dr. Tanner's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Addiction Medicine
  • Board certified in Addiction Medicine, Addictive Diseases, Family Practice and Geriatric Medicine

This content was provided by Dr. Tanner "I believe in a holistic approach that includes a healthy lifestyle, even though my focus and practice is on addictive and behavioral health care.  I believe that I must listen to my patient and understand what they want that I have to offer.  Many times patients want so-called treatments or medications that do more harm than good.  In those situations I attempt to help them understand their disorder and how to lead a more fulfilling life, but I will not prescribe medications or use treatments that are counterproductive to their recovery.  Recovery is not an easy process in most cases.  As an educator of physicians, I also believe that patients benefit from being educated about the brain disorder that afflicts them so that they are better motivated to achieve their true goals in life.  I utilize my over 30 years experience in the field of addictions and behavioral health to help patients.  I am Board Certified by the American Board of Addiction Medicine, one of 233 Fellows of the American Society of Addiction Medicine, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychiatry for the University of Florida College of Medicine and I serve on the Board of Directors for both the American Society of Addiction Medicine and the Florida Society of Addiction Medicine.  I enjoy training and educating physicians on the topics related to addictions and behavioral health frequently."

• Addiction Medicine

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Addiction
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Alzheimer's Disease
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Hallucinogen Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opiate Dependence
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Panic Attack
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Psychogenic Disorders (incl. Psychogenic Pain)
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness

• Jacksonville Health Ed Program
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1984
  • Lower Bucks Co Hosp
    Other Education | Completed 1976

Dr. Tanner has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Tanner does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tanner and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Tanner's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tanner to family and friends
4.0
Dr. Tanner Says:

I am no longer associated with the Beaches Family Medicine Practice.  My practice is limited exclusively to Addiction Medicine, Behavioral Medicine and Psychiatry.

Dr. Tanner's Performance
in Germantown, MD |
I’ve been going to Dr. Tanner now for 10 years! He’s an amazing doctor who is highly educated in the field of addiction. He has helped me get my life together after a hydrocodone addiction that I got when I had 3 years of back pain and 3 surgeries! He goes around the country to speak at seminars to help other doctors learn the best protocols! Thank you Dr. Tanner and Mrs. Millie for everything!!
in Jacksonville , FL |
Dr. Tanner definitely likes to spend a lot of time with his patients almost too much time. The secretary tried to overcharge me on my initial visit. After that I was brought to the bathroom and told to take a drug test as soon as I came in. Doctor Tanner did not want to write me a specific medication that's I normally take for my anxiety which was a little upsetting. Needless to say suspended my service and went to find another psychiatrist.
Sorry Pat. We make our office fees very clear during initial phone contact so there are no surprises. Dr. Tanner wants to spend adequate time with patients to get a good history so he may provide the best care. Addiction and mental health problems can be very complicated. Sometimes patients are seeking addictive medicines like benzodiazapines (Xanex, clonopin, valium) as their primary coping method for anxiety. It can make patients angry when they don't receive what they want.
in Orlando, FL |
Dr.Tanner is hands down the best Addiction Specialist Dr you will find. He is passionate about what he does & he truly cares for the well being of his patients. He constantly attends seminars & speaking events so he is either helping others or learning how to further help patients. He takes great pride in what he does & it shows. If you are serious about recovery, so is Dr. Tanner. I would give him a bazillion stars if it were an option. Millie is fantastic as well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Daytona fl |
I've been coming to see Dt Tanner for around 10 years he has completely changed my life. He has been there for me the entire process I really don't know where I would be without his help and guidance I would recommend him to anyone looking to change there lives for the better once and for all. He truly is a doctor with passion for you're wellbeing in mind I can't thank him enough for all of the years he has been here for me Thank you thank you thank you
Jacksonville |
Dr. Tanner is an amazing Physician! One of his specialties is in the treatment of drug & alcohol addiction, and if you, or a loved one is in need of help, he's your man. I'm speaking from experience and I am so very thankful to Dr. Tanner for helping me get me sober and stay sober. I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone and everyone. His level of knowledge, expertise, kindness and compassion is unsurpassed in my experience.
Have you seen Dr. John Tanner, DO?

Visit Dr. Tanner