Dr. John Steichen, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Dr. John Steichen, MD

Dr. John Steichen, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Charleston, SC. He is 58 years old and has been practicing for 32 years. Dr. Steichen is affiliated with Trident Medical Center, Roper St. Francis Healthcare - Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital and Roper Hospital.

...See Less

Dr. Steichen's Experience

See how Dr. Steichen's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Steichen

Dr. Steichen accepts 20 insurance carriers

Dr. Steichen is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Steichen has admitting privileges.

Dr. Steichen's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Steichen to family and friends
    4.0
    Dr. Steichen's Performance
    in Charleston, SC |
    Dr. Steichen is a blessing. I have a grade 4 glioblastoma multiforme brain tumor that he resected prior to chemo and radiation therapy. He is a talented and faith based, supportive surgeon who truly cares. I had a second opinion on oncology and trials from Duke University, which he and my oncologist supported. The experts at Duke noted that we had a truly gifted/skilled neurosurgeon as they rarely saw the degree of tumor resection he performed..... it matched their best.
    Mount Pleasant, SC |
    Dr. Steichen operated on my mother-in-law's spine a few years ago. Before the operation, he was very thorough in explaining the procedure and her recovery. She was in so much pain beforehand, and is virtually pain free now. Dr. Steichen is a wonderful and caring physician and I highly recommend him!
    Charleston, SC |
    I highly recommend Dr. Steichen for a Neurosurgeon. He has been my doctor for over 5 years and has performed back surgery as well as brain surgery. I have worked in the healthcare industry for 20 years and have had the opportunity to be in the OR with many surgeons. Dr. Steichen is one of the most talented surgeons Charleston has to offer. He is the BEST and that is why I chose him to do my surgeries. Patient care is his top priority and you will know that when you meet him. He's a blessing!
    in Charleston, SC |
    I don't normally do surveys, but this doctor really helped me. I travelled a long way to see him and it was well worth it. I am out of pain now and my golf swing is almost where I left off. His office staff was great in getting me through "the system" quickly and efficiently at each visit. Kudos and thanks to Dr. Steichen and his staff.
    in Mount Pleasant, SC |
    When my husband had his accident, I thought he would never be able to work again. After a few months of therapy with Dr. Steichen at St. Francis hospital my husband was back on his feet and he was able to start work again. He is almost fully healed! He could have been paralyzed! Thank you Dr. Steichen!
    in North Charleston, SC |
    Good office staff. Timely and attentive doctor. Did a great job on my neck. Highly recommended.
    in Charleston, SC |
    Dr. Steichen is just the best. His bedside manner was great. He got me through without having to have the surgery. I had to get some tests and injections which weren't fun, and he told me it would take a few weeks to get better. And he was right! I am pain free and back to being the mom I used to be thanks to him! He's an angel!
    Charleston, SC |
    Dr. Steichen did my back surgery. He was very knowledgeable and spent the time to explain my issue and options. He is highly intelligent, caring and compassionate. I would recommend him to anyone. He and his staff took great care of me and I am happy to say I feel great and pain free. Great experience.
    I would without a doubt highly recommend Dr. Steichen for a neurosurgeon!! He performed surgery on my brain as well as my back. I have worked in the healthcare industry for over 20 years and have seen many surgeons operate in the operating room. I can say that Dr. Steichen is one of the BEST SURGEONS Charleston has to offer. That is why I choose him to do my surgeries and will continue to see him for follow ups. He is a super talented surgeon. I couldn't be more pleased with my outcome.
    in Charleston, SC |
    This doctor butchered my husband a few years ago. He was a strong 20 year old, now he is disabled and in the hospital for weeks at a time. He has had 6 back surgerys since this dr butchered him and has lost his kidney and part of his intestines. Rethink before you commit to a very promising sounding this surgery this doctor will say you "need". Please! Our lives are ruined. He should have his liscence removed. Oh forgot to mention he was also given a Mrsa infection from this surgery
    Since 1992 I've provided neurosurgical care to thousands of patients. I feel confident this was not my patient.With certainty, the complications described did not occur under my care, as they are inconsistent with the surgeries I perform. That being said, I am saddened to hear of this patient's complications and what he has endured. I remain committed to exceptional care and believe this post is factually false. I welcome the opportunity to discuss this and ask the reviewer to please contact me.
    Have you seen Dr. John Steichen, MD?

Dr. Steichen's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
    •  Board certified in Neurosurgery
    •  Malpractice claims in South Carolina not available

Dr. Steichen has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Steichen's Board Certifications

• Brain Cancer
    • Broken Neck
    • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
    • Cerebral Hemorrhage
    • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
    • Cerebrovascular Disease
    • Chiari's Deformity
    • Ear Disorders
    • Epilepsy
    • Hydrocephalus
    • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
    • Lumbar Spine Fracture
    • Meningiomas
    • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
    • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus

Massachusetts General Hospital

Completed in 1985

University Of California, Davis

Graduated in 1981

Dr. Steichen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Steichen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Brain Surgery
    • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
    • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
    • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
    • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
    • Herniated Disc Surgery
    • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
    • Neurostimulation