Dr. John Shin, MD

Dr. Shin
Telehealth services available

Elizabeth Mcgee Martin Phd Pllc

319 Court Sq Sanford, NC 27330

Dr. John Shin, MD is a Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist in Sanford, NC and has over 30 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Roy J Lucille A Carver College Of Medicine At University Of Iowa medical school in 1991. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Shin to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Specialists in your area

• Offers Telehealth
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Check Dr. Shin's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Shin's Top Procedures and Conditions

Anxiety

Dr. Shin treats Anxiety more than 21% of his peers

Dr. Shin treats this condition more than 21% of his peers

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

Dr. Shin performs Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) more than 19% of his peers

Dr. Shin's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Bipolar Disorder
  • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Impulse Control Disorders
  • Major Depressive Disorder
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychosis Due to Mental Illness
  • Schizophrenia

Dr. Shin accepts

Dr. Shin accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO

2.2

Dr. Shin?
  • Wait times (8)
  • Office environment (4)
  • Appointment scheduling (3)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (10)
  • Appointment was rushed (9)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (9)
Is there any way for me to not give this 'establishment' zero stars? I spoke with the staff that I was ill early Monday morning and called the staff as soon as I could to say that I was throwing up all morning. They said there would be a cancellation fee. Okay, I understand I am cancelling within 24 hrs. That cancellation fee is $300.... THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS. Customer Service is little and far between at this place. The employees even stated if I had a death in the family.... A DEATH IN THE FAMILY, I would still have to pay the fee. That is outrageous!!!! Do not send or let anyone go to this practice!!!! I should have known not to go back when Dr Shin gave me a prescription and it didn't even have my name on it. HIPPA violation!!!! Dr Shin was pushing so many prescriptions on me, it was completely uncalled for. HORRIBLE SERVICE and HORRIBLE TREATMENT!!!!!
  • Appointment was rushed
CW – Sep 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
Dr. Shin was very courteous and helpful. He didn't judge me or act like I was beneath him. It was abvious he wanted to help me. . . and he is helping me.
May 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
After years of being a patient with Dr. Shin, I had one emergency cancel (with proof). I was billed for $300. I disputed this and was told that is how much an office visit is whether you show up or not. It did not matter to him or his staff. Will not recommend this practice at all.
Jan 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
I’m fortunate to be in BHA’s care. Dr Shin and his staff are amazing. Kathryn and Adanta make me feel welcome and the therapist are second to none. The issues about cancellation are pretty much the same in any practice which is made clear on your initial visit. Imagine if the entire staff had “no shows” for an entire day!
Donna Owings in Sanford, NC – Jan 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
Absolutely terrible. Was supposed to get an appointment for my daughter with the psychiatrist and 3 counseling sessions scheduled. The lady scheduling was so jacked up she disnt do all. The next appointment, the counselor said she should have scheduled and the next appointment for the psychiatrist was over a month out. My daughter went to the ER the very next day and was IVC. Called the next working day to cancel and they charged me full price for being just over an hour short of 24 hrs.
Fort Bragg, NC – Dec 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
We are new to Chatham and have worked with several other doctors for our young son. He got sick over the weekend with Strep (as all kids can) and I called in for 3 hours Monday morning (all lines stayed busy), then got charged for a visit. "prescription of medicine" and $160 for a therapist appointment (whom I see a therapist for and NOT him). Our appointments last only 10 min, yet I get charged for way more! If you work with young kids, then you need to understand..KIDS GET SICK! Never again
Pittsboro, NC – Dec 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
My experience with Dr. Shin is non-existent since he refused to see my son with ASD/ADHD because he is non-verbal. He states he can’t properly medicate non-verbal patients because they can’t talk to him. Well... yeah, that’s how that whole non-verbal thing works. As his parent, it’s my job to note any changes and verbalize those to the doctor. Thanks for the discrimination.
Christy in Sanford – Oct 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
Very unethical practices. They schedule appointments for an hour but you only get 50 min. The other 10 min or more is a buffer for doctor. But god forbid you have an emergency (with proof) or be 1 min late, so they say.(that all depends on what clock they use) you may be on time by your watch. They will try to charge you for the session and then refuse to see you. They also threaten you if you don't pay. Telling you they will report you to collections. Very unprofessional.
Ft Bragg, NC – May 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
The office staff is friendly and I've only had 2 appointments with Dr.Shin, he is fast with getting you in and out but accurate in asking questions and making sure you're okay and have what you need. I think it is a great office to go to for your behavioral needs!
Samantha in Cameron NC – Apr 07, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
Dr. Shin and this office is amazing! As a military spouse, I have been to all sorts of Psychiatrist Offices and this one is by far my favorite. It is small, well decorated, comfortable and clean. The staff is VERY polite and I have never waited more than 5 minutes for my scheduled appointments. I chose this office because I didn't want to drive into Fayettville and because it didn't seem as clinical and depressing as many of the offices I have been to. I was not disappointed. Always leave happy.
Joan in Ft Bragg, NC – Apr 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
I had an emergency and had to cancel an appointment. I called as soon as their office opened to cancel. About a week later I got a bill in the mail for $250.00. I called and they said that was their cancellation fee. They wouldn't even work with me. They are crooks. I have never heard of such a fee being so high. I'm sure they filled that appointment slot with another patient. I would never refer them to anyone!!
Sanford, NC – Jan 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?
Barely attentive, not flexible with scheduling, not military friendly. Rushes you in and out in less than five minutes. Refuses to talk to you directly outside of appointments, even in urgent situations. Stay away.
John in Raleigh, NC – Dec 13, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Shin, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shin?

• Child & Adolescent Psychiatry