Dr. John Shim, MD

Dr. John Shim, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. John Shim, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Tampa, FL. He is 55 years old and has been practicing for 30 years. Read his story

12780 Race Track Rd Ste 200

Tampa, FL 33626

• We do not accept health insurance

Learn about Dr. Shim

See how frequently Dr. Shim performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Herniated Disc Surgery
Herniated Disc
Intervertebral Disc Disease

Dr. Shim's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Shim's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Shim "Dr. Shim has been in private practice in the Tampa Bay area since 1993, and has developed a reputation for thoughtful discussions about the pro's and con's of surgical management of your orthopedic condition. While his practice is currently focused on spine surgery, he continues to provide excellent surgical care for outpatient orthopedic conditions as well as the spine. He has been honored to serve as the Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, as well as the Chief of Surgery for the Baycare affiliated Mease Hospitals, located in the Tampa Bay Area. Since 2013, his practice has evolved into a more personalized, individualized surgical practice model. If you have surgical questions, and have concerns about the opinions provided by other doctors, consider an appointment with Dr. Shim. While he may not be a participant in your insurance plan, his personalized approach to your surgical situation will be worth the expense. Since 2011, Dr. Shim has been constantly updating his Spine Education Website www.ShimSpine.com. Please browse the site to get a glimpse to the effort, and passion Dr. Shim has for patient education. Dr. Shim stands by the philosophy of treating his patients like his family. "

This content was provided by Dr. Shim "We will advise you like we would advise our family."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Orthopedic Sports Medicine

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Broken Arm
  • Cervical Herniated Disc
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Hand Fracture

• Hand and Wrist Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Arthroscopy
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Spine Surgery
  • Total Disc Replacement

• Massachusetts Institute Of Technology
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1983
  • SUNY Upstate Medical University (Syracuse)
    Medical School | Graduated 1987
  • Albert Einstein/ Montefiore Medical Ctr
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1988
  • Albert Einstein/ Montefiore Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1992
  • New England Baptist Hospital/Tuft Univ.
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1993

• WWW.Shimspine.com,

Dr. Shim does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shim and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Shim's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shim to family and friends
Dr. Shim Says:

I thank patients who have taken their precious time to fill out the survey.  The feedback is a wonderful way to know that we are meeting the needs of our patients.

Since 2013,  my practice has changed to a more individualized one.  I have strived to deliver a more patient oriented practice,  with short wait times,  almost immediate patient appointments,  and...

Dr. Shim's Performance
in Clearwater, FL |
Dr. Shim and his office staff are amazing! From the very first call, everyone was patient and willing to answer any questions that I had regarding my injury, treatment options and recovery time. Less than a week after my surgery, a hurricane hit Florida. Dr. Shim, Jason and Cathie made sure that I had a way to reach someone if needed during that time. They never stop thinking about the well being of their patients.
Dunedin, FL |
I originally came to Dr. Shim for a second opinion, he and Jason proved to be the team I was confident In trusting with my well being. Professional, caring, & thorough throughout the entire process. They were available for my every need and concern, for myself and my family. Now six weeks out from my neck procedure I have no regrets. The supportive care I received from the entire staff following my surgery was unsurpassed. Jason possesses a special talent in patient care. A heartfelt thank you!
in Tampa, FL |
Listen here! Dr. Shim is the man, Direct, to the point, and will get the job done! (I am BACK!) no point intended, however, my back is 100% back to normal... I was in agonizing pain since my accident, not anymore. Not only are they professional, they are affordable, personal, and truly genuine staff. I'm talking about from Jason answering any and all question, all the follow up calls, help with prescription after surgery without hesitant. I could write all day. Easy, God Given Staff! Thank you!
in Dunedin Fl |
Dr. Shim and his staff were the best. After my initial visit with doctor Shim I knew I was in the right place for my back surgery. Both he and Cathy were so informative I felt like all my questions had been answered and Dr. Shim's confidence with the procedure left me wishing I had done it long ago. Now it's been two weeks since it was done and I feel a vast improvement and getting better everyday. Thanks doctor Shim Rick Wilkinson
in Hudson, FL |
We met with Dr. Shim on 2/7/ 2017. We were completely satisfied with his clear and concise explanations regarding various procedures to correct a painful left leg condition. He thoroughly explained options to correct issues in the M.R.I. He listened well and explained the corrections using different techniques. He was very knowledgeable with a good sense of humor. After updated M.R.I. testing we will meet him again to determine the operation corrective actions. His staff was very effective.
in Largo, FL |
Dr Shim and his staff engendered trust and a positive professionalism from the first phone conversation. Prior to actually meeting him for my initial consultation Dr. Shim was personally recommended. I never had any reason to feel anxiety or concern thru the entire process. It was comforting to know immediately that Dr. Shim had my best interest as a primary concern. I have already recommended him to several people, and expect to recommend him without hesitation in the future.
in Orlando, FL |
Dr Shim is an excellent Doctor. Very pleasant and understanding. He has wonderful manner and comprehensive knowledge. His office staff is always very polite and helpful.
in Palm Harbor, FL |
Dr. Shim and his assistant, Jason, did an overall excellent job in the diagnosis, the surgery procedure itself, and the communication of information in every aspect of my situation. So far, my results are great and I am very pleased with the outcome. After only 2 weeks recovery, I am looking forward to resuming my normal, daily activities.
in New Port Richey, FL |
Dr. Shim, his assistant Jason Mazza, and the rest of the staff were wonderful. Very courteous, professional, and took the time to explain everything in detail before and after my back surgery. Would recommend Dr. Shim and his staff to anyone.
in Clearwater, FL |
Pleasant, efficient and effective.
in Palm Harbor, FL |
Saw Dr O'Donnell today. Very pleased with his evaluation and recommendations for me.
Have you seen Dr. John Shim, MD?
Are you Dr. Shim?