Cardiac Surgery  |
Dr. John Pool, MD
I grew up in Greensboro, NC. I went to Alabama for undergrad, studying chemical engineering. Yes, I was the nerdy guy in the corner of the lunchroom doing math while eating a hotdog. I met my wife Jessica at Bama. I went to medical school at UTSW in Dallas. I went on to train in general surgery and then cardiac and thoracic surgery. I have been in practice for over 6 years now. I have a deep commitment to my patients, born out of a deep personal Christian faith. I take my family and my patients seriously, but I try to not take myself too seriously. I have 7 children, which keeps dinnertime fun, and you may borrow some or all of them any weekend you'd like to host a circus at your house... I consider my role as cardiac and thoracic surgeon - to care for people during a time of need - to be a great privilege, and I consider myself to be a very blessed man.

8230 Walnut Hill Ln Ste 208

Dallas, TX 75231

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
  • Molina Healthcare
  • Mutual of Omaha
  • MVP Health Care

Learn about Dr. Pool

John Pool, M.D. practices at CVT Surgical Associates.  Services include diagnosis and treatment of the heart, lungs and esophagus.

Dr. Pool's Experience

Dr. Pool's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Cardiac Surgery

• Congenital Aortic Valve Disorders
  • Congenital Heart Defects
  • Congenital Heart Disease
  • Congestive Heart Failure
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Coronary Artery Dissection
  • Empyema
  • Endocarditis
  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Esophageal Diseases
  • Head and Neck Cancer
  • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
  • Heart Disease

• Ablation for Treatment of Cardiac Arrhythmias
  • Aortic Repair, Open or Repair of Arterial Aneurysm, Open
  • Aortic Valve Surgery
  • Arterial Catheterization With Robotic Assistance
  • Cardiac Catheterization (incl. Coronary Angiography)
  • Cardiac Electrophysiology
  • Cardioverter-Defibrillator or Pacemaker Insertion, Removal or Repair
  • Carotid Endarterectomy (CEA) or Excision of Infected Graft
  • Chest CT (incl. Heart and Lungs)
  • Coronary Angioplasty, Atherectomy and Stent
  • Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Surgery
  • Decortication and Pleurectomy
  • Endovascular Repair of Aorta
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Esophagectomy (Esophagogastrostomy, Esophagojejunostomy)
  • Esophagomyotomy
  • Head and Neck Surgery
  • Heart Defect Repair
  • Heart Surgery
  • Hernia Repair
  • Impella Device
  • Insertion of Epicardial Lead for Pacemaker or Cardioverter and-or Defibrillator
  • Lobectomy of Lung With Robotic Assistance
  • Thoracoscopic Thymectomy
  • Thoracoscopic Wedge Resection
  • Thromboendarterectomy or Excision of Infected Graft
  • Tracheal Surgery
  • Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
  • Tricuspid Valve Surgery
  • Valve Repair or Replacement (Aortic, Mitral, Tricuspid, and Pulmonary)
  • Vascular Surgical Procedure

Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Baylor University Medical Center
  • Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Pool has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Pool does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Pool and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Pool's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Pool to family and friends
Dr. Pool's Performance
Lancaster, TX |
I was referred to Dr. Pool for a lung biopsy and from the consultation to the follow-up I was impressed with his genuine concern for my health, and his obvious love of God. I have never had a doctor pray for me, and I was so touched by the gesture. He asked both times if it was okay, and of course I said yes. My surgery went well, and he and his staff did an excellent job. I highly recommend Dr. Pool for your surgical needs.
in Dallas, TX |
Absolutely. Dr. Pool was kind, compassionate, and extremely knowledgeable. He answered all my questions; he never rushed me when I was talking with him. He explained the surgery ahead of time to myself and my daughter such that I felt VERY comfortable and calm going into this procedure. Dr. Pool even stayed late with me and let his office go while he explained things since I was on a time line.
Addison, TX |
Dr. Pool was friendly, courteous and excellent to treat me. God used him to operate on me and get me feel better quickly. I strongly recommend Dr. Pool to anyone looking for the conditions he treats.
in Garland, TX |
I could not be happier with Dr. Pool. We interviewed a couple of other surgeons that we were not comfortable with, but immediately felt at ease with him. He took the time to explain everything and answer every question we had. I'd recommend him to anyone needing a surgeon.
in Carrollton, TX |
An excellent Doctor who deeply cares about his patients. Not only is Dr Pool and expert in his field his staff that assist him in surgery were some of the most well prepared people we have met!
in Linden NJ |
Dr. Pool is the most amazing and compassionate surgeon I have ever met ! He takes his time explaining what every procedure entails! He makes you feel like it's all about you My husband had an emergency lobectomy and there is no better surgeon. We live in another state and I can highly recommend this compassionate amazing surgeon to anyone, even if you have to travel to Dallas! His staff is also wonderful! They make a great team! Ps. I know my husband echoes the same sentiments
in Frisco, TX |
Dr. Pool performed heart surgery on me back in Dec. 2, 2016. He replaced my aortic valve ....something that I needed a few years back but kept putting it off. The time came where it just had to be done. I was still dragging my feet but he gained my trust and confidence and finally, there I was, at Texas Presby. I truly appreciated his prayers before and after surgery. Dr. POOL, YOU ARE THE BEST. Thank you thank you thank you. I highly recommend Dr. Pool.
in Denton, TX |
Cool doctor with great personality. Appears to be extremely qualified, after all, he saved me. No one wanted to operate on my heart, all suggested a transplant. I said "no, please do the best you can with what I got"--and he did. Quad bypass with valve repair. He said within next 6 months the best I could hope for is 35% function of heart. Within 2 months after surgery I was there. Thanks, Doc.
in Dallas, TX |
I went to the ER because I knew I didn't feel right but had no idea what it was. ER diagnosed me quickly with an aortic dissection and contacted the hospital. Within 3 1/2 hours I was in surgery with Dr Pool and his team. They all made me feel as at ease as possible in this kind of situation and when I talked to Dr Pool, I knew I was in good hands. I am making excellent progress and I owe it to the ER, Dr Pool, and his team. Thank you all.
in TEXAS |
I have never met such a caring and compassionate Doctor in my life! Dr. Pool is a wonderful doctor and a devout man of faith! Never had a doctor that prayed with and for me both before and after surgery! God bless Dr. Pool! Larry Jack Dotson
in Plano, TX |
Dr Pool has the comforting bed side manner we all are looking. This quality seems to be lost in medicine today. Dr Pool was called in by the Cardiologist during my Fathers (83 yo) surgery due to complications. The team of Drs was unable to complete the procedure on my Father for various reasons that we all agreed with. This was difficult for us to hear. Dr Pool was gentle in delivering this news and at the same time very comforting. I had never met him before - but I will never forget him!
in Garland |
Dr Pool is the most positive special Doctor I have ever encountered in my life. He is a very Christian man. I was fortunate to have him as my surgeon during my cardiac emergency. He performed a Quadruple by pass on me March 29th, 2017 and 2 months later I am back to doing almost anything I did before. He also prayed for me the night before and the morning of my surgery. That prayer made me immediately feel like I would be fine. If you ever need a cardiac surgeon Dr. Pool is the best !!!!
in Dallas, TX |
Dr. Pool is an incredible surgeon, and an even better man! He literally saved my life. I cannot sing his praises enough; I feel so blessed and grateful that he was my surgeon. I presented at the ER believing my asthma was just really bad, and ended up several days later on the operating table while Dr. Pool expertly replaced my diseased, horribly leaking, and failing aortic heart valve! Dr. Pool and his entire team were fantastic! And the care I received at Presby was first rate!
in Allen, TX |
I was air lifted from Allen to Dallas with an Aorta Dissection. Dr. Pool had been advised of the dire circumstances my life was in and rearranged his surgeries to get to me first. Dr. Pool graciously met with my family and prayed with them as Careflight landed. The surgery was a success. After two months, I was able to return home. On my post visit with Dr. Pool, he was excited to see how well I was doing and we closed with a word of prayer. What a special surgeon and man of God he is.
in Dallas, TX |
Dr. Pool was wonderful! No one really wants a Thoracic surgeon, but when you need one, you hope and pray for one like Dr. Pool. He explained my procedure, answered my family's questions, prayed with me before surgery, and was wonderful in the follow-up stage. I was operated on as the last patient of the day (really evening) on the day before Thanksgiving. He was kind and caring as if I was the first one on the list. He had been in surgery all day that day! You can't go wrong with Dr. Pool!!
in Frisco, TX |
Dr. Pool did a mitral valve repair and a 4-way bypass on me recently, and I am so grateful for his expertise and his compassionate support. Our pre-surgery meetings with him were great. as he took all the time we needed, drew pictures for us of the processes, explained things clearly. Going into surgery, he took my hand and prayed for me, which was so moving, it brought tears to me eyes. He is a wonderful man and I couldn't recommend him more highly!
in Sunnyvale, TX 75182 |
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, words could never express how we fill about you, and the wonderful job you did on my husband,I'm glade he sent us to you, what a blessing, GOD IS GOOD, and he not thru with you yet. and you are our ( favorite!) doctor. God Bless You. Willie & Diane Hutchins
in Carrollton, TX |
I would highly recommend Dr. Pool. He made me feel at ease in a scarey situation I had never had surgery before and I was faced with lung cancer. The surgery went well he explained everything to me. The thing that touched my heart also was his prayer before surgery. Yes I do highly recommend Dr. Pool!!
Lewisville, TX |
My husband was in horrific shape. Dr. Pool was incredible& helped in every way he could. He showed compassion, answered questions, didn't hold anything against him, or judge him. Dr. Pool even took the time to go the extra mile for him& the family. My husband was transferred. The surgeon there told us that anyone else would have just let him pass on the table. My husband did pass later on but it was Dr. Pool out of all the surgeons out there who tired to save his life. He's a blessing
in Denton, TX |
It was my good fortune that I became a patient of Dr. Pool. I was an emergency patient, in a life threatening situation with a ruptured esophagus and required two significant surgeries, both performed by Dr. Pool. I'm recovering well and very optimistic about reaching full recovery. Dr. Pool is not only a skilled surgeon, but connected with me personally in a very deep and spiritual way. Anyone would be fortunate to be under his care.
in Wichita Falls, TX |
He's the best and favorite doctor I've ever seen that provided fabulous health care......and the word "care" goes far beyond the norm. He listens and is supportive in every way, including my state of mind and my faith. He's a Godsend and I'm thankful he was the surgeon that saved my life. I feel I not only had the best care from him but made a wonderful friend also.
in Prosper, TX |
He is my favorite doctor. He has a wealth of knowledge and he can communicate effictively. He gave me information and then helped me process and assimilate the information. He was 100% on my side for my health and my family.
in Highland Village, TX |
If you are having heart surgery, you want a confident surgeon with a steady hand. Dr. Pool was positive and supportive through everything and I didn't come around immediately.
in Richardson, TX |
I would recommend Dr. Pool to ANYONE needing cardiac surgery. He is so very kind and he saved my life! Plus, he prayed with me and my family before and after surgery.
in Mesquite, TX |
thoughtful Christian man who prayed with us before and after surgery plus at follow-up doctor appointment
Have you seen Dr. John Pool, MD?
Are you Dr. Pool?