Dr. John C. McHugh, MD

Dr. John C. McHugh, MD

Urology | Male | 61 years old

67 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Narrow your results

Interactive and personal care in which the patient has a large role in the decision making procerss and the treatment chosen. A physcian should have a ready wit: A dour outlook is repulsive to the well and the sick alike.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. McHugh's Experience

See how Dr. McHugh's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. McHugh

Dr. McHugh accepts 35 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. McHugh has admitting privileges.

Dr. McHugh's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McHugh to family and friends
Dr. McHugh's Performance
in Clarkesville, GA |
Dr, McHugh is helpful, approachable, and highly professional. Also efficient and appropriately conservative in his approach.
in Baldwin, GA |
Very friendly and professional!
in Flowery Branch, GA |
He is ALWAYS down to earth making him much easier to talk to than most other doctors. Even when dealing with more important diagnosis he comes alongside you to help you through it.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh was a blessing to me in my time of need. He assured me that all would be fine and he assisted me in my recovery. He was SO personable and I am blessed to be a patient of his.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh is a kind and compassionate physician. He listens to his patients and goes out of his way to make them comfortable. He is very knowledgeable about urology and the latest treatments. He is an all around wonderful physician. He is an asset to the Gainesville area.
Dawsonville, GA |
Very with Dr. McHugh and staff, personable and seem to really care about me.
in Gainesville, Ga |
Dr McHugh was not only very knowledgeable but also very personable. He was diligent in answering questions and explaining the process.
in Canton, GA |
Can't say enough nice things about Dr. McHugh. He has been seeing/treating me for over five years now and is a capable and professional Doctor. I chose him specifically for his preventative approach to medical care. Great bedside manner and just a really nice person! It is wonderful to deal with a Doctor with integrity.
in Cornelia, GA |
Dr. McHugh was very helpful and knowledgeable about my prostrate condition. The nurses helped somewhat embarrassing situations become less embarrassing. The entire staff was pleasant with good bedside manners. They saw us twice at the end of the day 30 minutes before closing due to painful issues and problems. Dr. McHugh stayed later in order to talk with us and answer questions. Provided us with a very good book he wrote that explained several options to evaluate relating to my condition.
Demorest, GA |
I would highly recommend Dr. McHugh to family and friends.
Mount Airy, GA |
Always feel I am treated with the utmost respect and dealt with very professionally. My questions are answered and I do not feel rushed. Everyone does a good job. Glad to have this team on my side.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh has always been considerate, knowledgable, and helpful in answering my questions. I have total confidence in in his judgement of my problems and his recommendations.
in Clarkesville, GA |
I have been a patient of Dr. McHugh, MD since 2008. He has a very pleasant manner and lets you ask questions. The questions are answered in a manner you can understand and not a bunch of Medical Terms that mean nothing to anyone. I would and have recommended Dr. John C. McHugh, MD. to several of my friends.
in Cleveland |
Have been a patient of Dr. McHugh's for several years, and have always had exceptional care. I would recommend him highly for anyone seeking a doctor who pays close attention to the needs of their patients. The staff is also very friendly, and helpful, anytime we have called or visited the office.
Becky was awesome!
in Toccoa, GA |
I would highly recommend Dr. McHugh to family and friends. Sometimes it is really hard to find a reliable Dr. He is always the same respectable person each time you visit. Takes time to listen, explains his plan, and very likable person. His staff is very caring and speaks highly of Dr. McHugh. I think Dr. McHugh and staff goes beyond caring for their patients. It makes a visit less stressful. The staff scheduling appointments are remarkable. Waiting time is very reasonable.
Gainesville, GA |
I was a patient with another urologist for 5 years and always felt like a number. I had enough and googled urologists in Gainesville. Boy did I pick a peach!!! Dr. McHugh a staff are wonderful! He is so caring, attentive, and easy to talk with, felt like I have visited him for years! Thank you!!!
in Cleveland , GA |
great Doctor & person puts everyone at ease
Snellville, GA |
My husband was seen by Dr McHugh for a kidney stone, and we had a wonderful experience. Dr. McHugh was very thorough, very knowledgeable and has a great bedside manner. We would recommend him to any of our friends or family, and we will definitely see him in the future for any of our urological needs.
in Hoschton, GA |
It was very easy to discuss my issues with Dr.McHugh and he was a good listener. He made some recommendations and we followed up in 3 weeks and then adjusted those treatments as needed. I felt very at ease with him.
in Buford, GA |
I made an appointment with Dr. McHugh for a follow-up to a issue detected and treated at a family physician's office, and for a consultation for vasectomy reversal. The appointment went great! He was interested in what I had to say and very thorough. Dr. McHugh was professional and comforting, with a confident and easy to understand explanation of the issues at hand. I am sending all my previous related medical records to his office. I definitely have a new Urologist.
in Cumming, GA |
I had to have a rather unpleasant procedure done. Although I didn't want to be there in the first place, the staff was absolutely fantastic! They were all cheerful, cracking jokes continuously and making the best of the situation while taking great care of me. You can tell the difference between someone doing things because it's their job and doing them because they care and my experience was the later. Dr McHugh was very thourough and encouraging any questions I had. Yes, I'll recommend.
Buford, GA |
Dr. McHugh is a very kind caring and excellent Doctor.
in Gainesville, GA |
1st visit, the doctor listened to me and asked questions appropriately. Gave suggestions for treatment plan.
in Clayton, GA |
My appointments with Dr. McHugh are like visiting with an old friend!!!
Gainesville, GA |
Very professional and also very caring about his patients. Was a relief to hear good news regards to my biopsy. Thank you Dr. McHugh.
in Cleveland GA. |
I have been coming to Dr. McHugh for the last 6 years, & would highly recommend him! He and his staff are very professional, & he is always concerned about my well being.
in Cleveland, GA |
Dr. McHugh is working diligently with my husband to attempt to find a solution for issues regarding incontinence. All three of us hope an answer, other than advanced age can be found.
in Baldwin, GA |
Very professional and comprehensive care. Dr. McHugh was personable, caring and very thorough. Staff was also very personable and helpful. I was very satisfied with my care there and would recommend family and friends with my highest rating!
Toccoa, GA |
Doctor mcHugh and his office staff have always met my needs for urological services. I am happy and have no complaints. The only exception I would suggest would be a better phone system so contact with the correct person would be easier and faster.
in Oakwood, GA |
Dr. McHugh is always up beat and meets me with a smile! His pleasant manner and focus on the problem is appreciated. I feel each of my office visits are with an old friend.
in Demorest, GA |
I had a great experience and I was very pleased with Dr. McHugh.
in Baldwin GA |
I would like to thank Dr McHugh for what he done fore me I would recommend him to any of my friends and family ,He did a great job on blasting my kidney stone I have not had any pain at all maybe a tad. Thank you again dr McHugh and your staff you all were so sweet and loving to me
in Demorest, GA |
Staff was very proficient and efficient. Everyone was very helpful and congenial, taking care that their patients were well attended. My experience was very pleasant and perspicuous. Dr. McHugh was thorough and concise in his follow up after the procedure. Thanx to all who helped ease my tension.
Stone mountain, GA |
Dr. McHugh and staff are the best! The entire office and surgery center are very attentive and helpful. I had a vasectomy reversal performed and Dr. McHugh explain the entire proces making me feel very comfortable with everything.
in Clarkesville, GA |
One of the best! If you need a urologist in the Gainesville area, I would highly recommend Dr. McHugh. His staff is wonderful too...friendly and efficient!
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr McHugh is one of the best doctors I've ever visited. He was very nice and assured me that I nothing to worry about. I will highly recommend him to all my friends and family.
in Flowery Branch, GA |
I have been seeing Dr. McHugh for close to 20years . I've had numerous tests when problems occurred and remained proactive on my health because of Dr. McHugh. His staff has always been efficient and professional.
in Demorest, GA |
Dr. McHugh has a high quality of patient interest and care. He is open to questions and always responds in a professional manner. He offers treatment options with carefully constructed judgments always keeping the patient's interest at heart.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh is outstanding. He is the best urologist and overall, excellent physician. He is knowledgeable, professional, and kind. He cares about his patients and listens. Hands down, he is the best, not just in Gainesville, but that I have found.
georgia |
Very happy with Dr. McHugh's bedside manner and overall ease of vasectomy procedure. Highly recommend to anyone in need of services provided by this office.
in Cleveland, GA |
I found Dr McHugh to be an excellent Physician and would highly recommend to any one I know .
Have you seen Dr. John C. McHugh, MD?
Are you Dr. McHugh?

Compare Dr. McHugh

Dr. McHugh says...

Dr. McHugh grew up in LaGrange, Georgia and was a cadet at North Georgia College in Dahlonega receiving a degree in Chemistry. He went to medical school in Augusta, where he was president of his class, and then continued there to complete his urological residency.

He has practiced urology in Gainesville, Ga with the same group and in the same location for thirty years.  He has been married to his wife, Karen, since 1979. They have three children.

Dr. McHugh was treated for prostate cancer in 2007 and subsequently authored a book regarding helping patients decide how to treat their cancer. The title "The Decision: Your prostate biopsy shows cancer. Now what?" has been in the top ten on Amazon since it was published in 2010. He enjoys seeing patients for a "Prostate cancer opinion" in light of his having been the doctor and the patient and each patient is given his book to help in the decision making process.

He loves anything that pertains to being around or in water, dogs, hiking, history and writing. "The Decision" and other books he's written can be seen on Amazon by searching: John McHugh M.D. Amazon Author Page.

He is one of Georgia's most experienced urologists performing Microscopic Vasectomy Reversals.

Dr. McHugh's Care Philosophy

Dr. McHugh says...

Thirty years of experience in treating all urological illnesses to include kidney stone disease, male and female incontinence, prostate and bladder cancer, and the evaluation of blood in the urine and elevated PSA.

Dr. McHugh uses the No Needle No Scalpel method in performing vasectomies and care is taken to emphasis patient comfort. A vasectomy can be performed in the office with pre procedure medications and local anesthesia and Northeast Georgia Urological Associates has the option of light general anesthesia for vasectomies in our ambulatory surgery center.

Dr. McHugh is one of the most experienced urological micro-surgeons in Georgia having performed over 200 Microscopic Vasectomy Reversals in our ambulatory surgery center. He uses an operating microscope, microscopic suture and instruments and general anesthesia. The procedure is out patient, usually takes approximately two and a half hours. Please see his website dedicated to reversals: Georgia Vasectomy Reversal.

Dr. McHugh performs commonly:

• GreenLight Laser Prostatectomy for BPH (Prostate enlargement)
  • No Needle No Scalpel Vasectomy
  • The evaluation of hematuria (Blood in the urine)
  • The evaluation of an elevated PSA (Prostate Biopsy). The biopsy is performed in our ambulatory surgery center so it is pain free.
  • Dr. McHugh is one of Georgia's most experienced urologists in performing the Microscopic Vasectomy Reversal
  • Management of kidney stones with ESWL (Extra corporal shock wave lithotripsy) and ureteroscopy both of which are performed in our surgery center.

Dr. McHugh's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Urology
  •  Board certified in Urology

Dr. McHugh has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

Why It Matters: Dr. McHugh's Board Certifications

• Bladder Diseases
  • Bladder Diverticulum
  • Bladder Infection
  • Bladder Stones
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Chronic Kidney Diseases
  • Congenital Obstruction of Ureteropelvic Junction
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • End-Stage Renal Disease
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Erectile Dysfunction
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Kidney Disease
  • Kidney Infection, Acute
  • Kidney Infection, Chronic
  • Kidney Stone Pain (Renal Colic)
  • Kidney Stones
  • Male Infertility
  • Male Sexual Conditions
  • Neurogenic Bladder
  • Nighttime Urination (Nocturia)
  • Overactive Bladder
  • Painful Urination (Dysuria)
  • Penile Cancer
  • Peyronie's Disease
  • Premature Ejaculation
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Prostatitis
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Hesitancy
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Stones
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Urinary Urgency

Med College Of Georgia

Completed in 1986

North Georgia College

Graduated in 1977

Dr. McHugh does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McHugh and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Urology

• Bladder Surgery
  • Complex Penile Surgery
  • Cystometry
  • Cystotomy
  • Cystourethroscopy and Transurethral Resection of Bladder Neck
  • Green Light Photovaporization of the Prostate (PVP)
  • Hormone Replacement Therapy
  • TURP (Transurethral Resection of Prostate) or Laser Destruction of Prostate
  • Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy
  • Ureterscopies
  • Urinary Incontinence Surgery
  • Urinary Stone Removal (Litholapaxy)
  • Uroflowmetry