Urology  |
Dr. John McHugh, MD
Dr. McHugh grew up in LaGrange, Georgia and was a cadet at North Georgia College in Dahlonega receiving a degree in Chemistry. He went to medical school in Augusta, where he was president of his class, and then continued there to complete his urological residency. He has practiced urology in Gainesville, Ga with the same group and in the same location for thirty years. He has been married to his wife, Karen, since 1979. They have three children. Dr. McHugh was treated for prostate cancer in 2007 and subsequently authored a book regarding helping patients decide how to treat their cancer. The title "The Decision: Your prostate biopsy shows cancer. Now what?" has been in the top ten on Amazon since it was published in 2010. He enjoys seeing patients for a "Prostate cancer opinion" in light of his having been the doctor and the patient and each patient is given his book to help in the decision making process. He loves anything that pertains to being around or in water, dogs, hiking, history and writing. "The Decision" and other books he's written can be seen on Amazon by searching: John McHugh M.D. Amazon Author Page. He is one of Georgia's most experienced urologists performing Microscopic Vasectomy Reversals.

660 Lanier Park Dr Ste A

• Health Net
  • HealthPlus
  • HealthPlus Amerigroup

Learn about Dr. McHugh

Interactive and personal care in which the patient has a large role in the decision making procerss and the treatment chosen. A physcian should have a ready wit: A dour outlook is repulsive to the well and the sick alike.

Dr. McHugh's Experience

Dr. McHugh's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Urology

• Bladder Diseases
  • Bladder Diverticulum
  • Bladder Infection
  • Bladder Stones
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Chronic Kidney Diseases
  • Congenital Obstruction of Ureteropelvic Junction
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • End-Stage Renal Disease
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Erectile Dysfunction
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Kidney Disease
  • Kidney Infection, Acute
  • Kidney Infection, Chronic
  • Kidney Stone Pain (Renal Colic)
  • Kidney Stones
  • Male Infertility
  • Male Sexual Conditions
  • Neurogenic Bladder
  • Nighttime Urination (Nocturia)
  • Overactive Bladder
  • Painful Urination (Dysuria)
  • Penile Cancer
  • Peyronie's Disease
  • Premature Ejaculation
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Prostatitis
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Hesitancy
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Stones
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Urinary Urgency

• Complex Penile Surgery
  • Cystometry
  • Cystotomy
  • Cystourethroscopy and Transurethral Resection of Bladder Neck
  • Green Light Photovaporization of the Prostate (PVP)
  • Hormone Replacement Therapy
  • TURP (Transurethral Resection of Prostate) or Laser Destruction of Prostate
  • Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy
  • Ureterscopies
  • Urinary Incontinence Surgery
  • Urinary Stone Removal (Litholapaxy)
  • Uroflowmetry
  • Vasectomy
  • Vasectomy Reversal

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• North Georgia College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1977
  • Medical College Of Georgia School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1981
  • Medical College Of Georga
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1982
  • Med College Of Georgia
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1986

Dr. McHugh has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McHugh does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McHugh and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McHugh's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McHugh to family and friends
Dr. McHugh's Performance
in Young Harris, GA |
Dr. McHugh is kind, respectful and considerate in his approach to patients.!! He is obviously extremely intelligent and gives the impression that he is allowing you to make all the decisions for your health care situation. We love him!!
in Cornelia, GA |
I have been a patient of Dr. McHugh for about 15 years and there has never been one time I felt the need to go anywhere else. He also was my Dad's urologist and he was always my Dad's "Favorite" doctor. I have no reservation recommending Dr. McHugh for any problem in his field. And, he's a great guy along with being an excellent clinician.
in CLARKESVILLE, GA |
Have always had confidence with him and always addressed and answered all my concerns. Very pleasant personality and enjoy visiting him.
Loganville, GA |
Postive experience! He is NOT a Dr. at a conglomerate that shuffles him to multiple locations. He was professional and knowledgeable. He hit curve balls in the consultation like an MLB star. I will pay him my hard earned money and recommended him to whomever may need his type of services.
I highly recommend Dr. McHugh and his staff to anyone in need of a great doctor. I had surgery four months ago and Kathy took care of everything for this procedure, she is always so nice and helpful, makes having surgery easy. She deserves high praise for her service at Dr. McHugh's office. Thanks to everyone .
in Atlanta, GA |
Very professionally run practice. The doctor and his staff are very attentive and caring. You can rest assured that they will take good care of you and that your surgery will have a positive outcome. I traveled in from Atlanta and will highly recommend Dr. McHugh to my friends and family.
in DAhlonega, GA |
Dr McHugh is not only a skilled urologist but a real person that relates with his patients. He takes his time to go over details so one knows what is going on in his or her body. Although I have known him for only a short while, I feel I have known him for many years. He certainly has been a benefit to me. I strongly recommend him.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr Mchugh is very professional and takes the time to spend with you for any questions you may have
in Flowery Branch, GA |
I have been a patient of Dr. McHugh for 20 years . His experience in eurology is invaluable.
Tegucigalpa, FM |
Always a good visit.
in Gainesville, GA |
I was very impressed with how the staff got to me in such a timely fashion. Thank you so much for today.
Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh has an excellent manner. He is thorough and takes the time outline the various alternatives to treatment. He has an excellent staff that is friendly and well qualified. I recommend Dr. McHugh my friends.
in Suches, GA |
John spends time with his patients and his caring attitude shines through. Going to him was one of the best moves, medically that I have ever made.
Buford, GA |
Dr.McHugh and his staff are great. I trust him as a provider. They need to work out there time management situation a little better though. I understand that things come up, but they are never on time. That's frustrating but the wait is worth it.
Buford, GA |
Dr McHugh has been my urologist for over 4 years and I have been visited this office for over 7 years I was always been treated with care and respect.
in Cleveland, GA |
This evaluation, I will admit, comes from a cynic. My first encounter came when my husband desperately needed a urologist. After only one visit he became my champion. We, and I mean myself and my mother as well, have been cared for, as far as I'm concerned, by the best there is. Both he and his entire staff have given us more than I would ever have expected from any doctor. After over 10 years plus, they've become family...can't get any better than that!
in hiawassee georgia30546 |
I could not been more pleased with the treatment I received from DR.JOHN McHugh. He solve my problem.
in Clarkesville,Ga 30523 |
Thank You Dr. McHugh, I had been to another Urologist across town, No problem, But I will never go anywhere but to You in the Future. I appreciate the attitude and Courtesy that You and Your staff has shown to Me. It has been a pleasure to come to You for treatments ! Thanks Again--Red Farmer
Thanks Red...our pleasure! J.M.
in Braselton, GA |
Dr. McHugh is very knowledgeable and has a a great bedside manner, and funny. When I walk in scared, I leave being totally assured that his diagnosis is 100% accurate, and satsfied.
Thanks so much for taking the time to do a review. I am glad you had a positive experience. J.M. p.s. - A physician should have a ready wit...a dour disposition is repulsive to the well and sick alike!
Gainesville, GA |
I was referred to Dr. McHugh from my primary care physician who saw something in my CAT scan she said needed a look by a urologist. Naturally this was alarming. However, after Dr. McHugh explained ( in clear non- medical terms) the situation- all was well. Situation normal for my age- no treatment necessary. What a relief! Dr. McHugh was on time, friendly, patient and answered all my many questions in clear, concise terms. Overall- very good experience.
in Baldwin,Ga. |
Dr. McHugh is the best doctor ever to explain your situation and take extra time with you to answer any questions you have. He has a wonderful staff and makes your appointment enjoyable. We love Dr Mchugh.
in Helen |
Dr. McHugh is a wonderful doctor. He is very kind and really takes the time to listen to his patients. He is very informative about the different types of treatment that will work for your medical needs. I would and do recommend him to everyone.
Thank you very much. I am happy you had a positive experience and we look forward to seeing you in the future. J.M.
in Flowery Branch |
Dr. McHugh answered all my questions and explained what would be done during my surgery. Recovery has been speedy and the surgery has fixed my problem. I am very pleased! I highly recommend Dr. McHugh.
in Blairsville, GA |
My first visit was great. It was as if I had been a patient for a long time. Dr. McHugh was very personable and professional. He has a great staff that goes the extra mile to take care of my needs.
in Gainesville, GA |
I have been Dr. McHugh's patient ever since he opened his practice in Gainesville 30+ years ago. He has always provided outstanding professional care. In addition to his expert medical knowledge and training, Dr. MeHugh demonstrates genuine concern and caring for his patients on a personal level... traits that other medical professionals would do well to emulate.
Dr. Ewing thank you for your kind remarks. I am particularly grateful you let me pass English 40 years ago! J.M.
in Phenix City, AL |
Fantastic bedside manner, office and surgical staff were top notch. This coming from a nurse of 12 years. I was never nervous or uncomfortable.
Thank you very much. I hope "us" success in your procedure. J.M.
in Clarkesville , GA |
Dr. McHugh has a great sense of humor, which is what I need right now, is very knowledgeable and experienced, having gone through prostate cancer treatment himself. Very down to earth guy and friendly and takes the time to talk and listen, which is rare these days. Would definitely recommend him to anyone.
in Gainesville, GA |
The last visit was an early morning appointment and didn't have to wait long. Fortunately, I have not had serious problems to deal with, but Dr. McHugh has always been personable and listens to what concerns I have. Hopefully, I can stay with my annual check-up and PSA tests!
in Gainesville |
I have been his patient for quite a few years. He is a total professional. Always provides superb services and treatment. I look forward to my appointments with him. You don't hear this everyday, but I trust him with my life. I have referred many patients to his office because they were discouraged with their urologist. They tell me they should have visited him years ago! :)
Thank you very much...the sentiment is mutual! J.M.
Cumming, GA |
A very informative visit!
in Gainesville, GA |
Thorough, gives/explains options. Personable and interested in his patients. Competent, knowledgeable staff.
in Clarkesville, GA |
Great doctor. He is down to earth and discusses medical issues in layman's terms. He is easy to talk to and enjoy hearing about the personal side of his life as well as the professional career.
in Winder, GA |
My appreciate, gratitude and respect for Dr. McHugh is immeasurable. I admire him as a caring, skilled doctor, and as a man of great intellect and good character. I credit him with saving my life.
in Clarkesville GA |
As a newly diagnosed bladder cancer patient, I found Dr. McHugh to be an excellent source to help me feel comfortable about all my treatment options. He had an discussion with me about the risks and challenges I am facing. He answers all questions so that I understand what this diagnosis means, sometimes by drawing examples and having an open conversations with me and my wife. I just liked him from the moment I met him and I trust him. I would recommend him to anyone facing bladder cancer .
in Flowery Branch, GA |
I have been a patient of Dr. McHugh's for many years. He is very caring and is great to provide you with your options and his recommendations. He makes you feel at ease.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh is methodical with his approach to the problem, straightforward with options and precise with his execution of them. In addition, he also cares about the outcome of the chosen procedure.
in Cornelia, GA |
He is a very good doctor . I really like him and his staff are very helpful and he takes time to listen to you. To me that is a great asset. debbie wade
in Gainesville, GA |
Great services and staff. I sent in a previous survey but I can't confirm it was accepted.
in Gainesville, GA |
Thorough, considerate, and honest but does not waste your time.
in Gainesville, GA |
Very personable and engaged. Caring and informative. Definitely an asset to your organization.
in Gainesville, GA |
I have been a patient for at least 30 years and have been very pleased with all the care I have received plus the additional problems I caused the staff, they were very good to me in the early 90's when I had additional problems which required additional work on their behalf.
in Sautee Nacoochee, GA |
Dr. McHugh is a phenonenal surgeon and a kind and compassionate doctor.
in Clarkesville, GA |
My husband went in for Vasectomy Reversal this past Monday and it was a incredible experience! From the first time we met him he made us feel comfortable, did not rush us & took the time to answer our questions! Kathy was a pleasure to work with in scheduling our surgery and answering all my crazy questions! Surgery day we had the best nurse, Lacey. She was so kind, sweet, understanding & patient! Everyone there took the time to inform me of progress while my husband was in surgery! Thank you!?
in Dahlonega, GA |
Dr. McHugh was informative and very kind.
in Cumming, GA |
Let's see how do I say this, he and his staff are GREAT, FANTASTIC, etc. I've been to several urologist in my 74 years and none as good, well equipped with needed proper equipment. He removed a large kidney stone for me and I can tell you from other doctors trying to help me in the past, no one comes close to his professionalism, knowledge and just plain caring about his patents. When I have a problem, he's my Doctor. D.S.
in Clermont, GA |
Dr. McHugh and his staff provide an excellent environment for seeking medical attention and treatment in his field. The level of trust in Dr. McHugh and the Green Light Laser procedure performed on me is definitely something I highly recommend. It is an outpatient procedure with a quick return to normal activities in a few weeks. His office staff and the care you receive is excellent! I highly recommend Dr. John McHugh !
in Rabun County, GA |
While I'm still in the last part of the healing process after my laser lithotripsy procedure... I feel very good about my experience with Dr. McHugh and his staff. Dr. had several large stones to deal with, and he was successful, even when some were saying it couldn't be done. Dr. is always great, providing lots of good information, and willing to spend time to answer questions. Highly recommend Dr. McHugh!
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh and both of his nurses are excellent. His jokes are even pretty funny!
in GA |
Went in for vasectomy; had i known it would be this easy would have done it years before! Office staff was very nice and accommodating; was nice that they have the option of doing the procedure in-office or in the surgery center next door. I chose the in-office visit and it was very smooth and quick. Dr. McHugh was a true professional and talked me through the whole thing making sure i was good the whole way. His confidence and patience was very reassuring. Would highly recommend to anyone!
in Gainesville,GA |
It is never pleasant to have to visit a physician with a potential medical problem. However, Dr. McHugh made the experience far more comfortable and he is a very interesting individual as well as very competent physician. I would recommend Dr. McHugh.
Have you seen Dr. John McHugh, MD?

Visit Dr. McHugh