Dr. John McHugh, MD

Dr. John McHugh, MD

Urology | Male

Interactive and personal care in which the patient has a large role in the decision making procerss and the treatment chosen. A physcian should have a ready wit: A dour outlook is repulsive to the well and the sick alike.

Dr. McHugh grew up in LaGrange, Georgia and was a cadet at North Georgia College in Dahlonega receiving a degree in Chemistry. He went to medical school in Augusta, where he was president of his class, and then continued there to complete his urological residency. He has practiced urology in Gainesville, Ga with the same group and in the same location for thirty years. He has been married to his wife, Karen, since 1979. They have three children. Dr. McHugh was treated for prostate cancer in 2007 and subsequently authored a book regarding helping patients decide how to treat their cancer. The title "The Decision: Your prostate biopsy shows cancer. Now what?" has been in the top ten on Amazon since it was published in 2010. He enjoys seeing patients for a "Prostate cancer opinion" in light of his having been the doctor and the patient and each patient is given his book to help in the decision making process. He loves anything that pertains to being around or in water, dogs, hiking, history and writing. "The Decision" and other books he's written can be seen on Amazon by searching: John McHugh M.D. Amazon Author Page. He is one of Georgia's most experienced urologists performing Microscopic Vasectomy Reversals.

Dr. McHugh's Experience

See how Dr. McHugh's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. McHugh

Dr. McHugh accepts 35 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. McHugh has admitting privileges.

Dr. McHugh's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McHugh to family and friends
Dr. McHugh's Performance
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh and both of his nurses are excellent. His jokes are even pretty funny!
in GA |
Went in for vasectomy; had i known it would be this easy would have done it years before! Office staff was very nice and accommodating; was nice that they have the option of doing the procedure in-office or in the surgery center next door. I chose the in-office visit and it was very smooth and quick. Dr. McHugh was a true professional and talked me through the whole thing making sure i was good the whole way. His confidence and patience was very reassuring. Would highly recommend to anyone!
in Gainesville,GA |
It is never pleasant to have to visit a physician with a potential medical problem. However, Dr. McHugh made the experience far more comfortable and he is a very interesting individual as well as very competent physician. I would recommend Dr. McHugh.
in Dahlonega, GA |
Answered all my questions and was very helpful
in Gainesville GA |
I would like to thank Dr. McHugh for his patience and understanding with a Mother and NaNa of his patient. Him or his nurse was available and prompt with getting back to us with any issue during his illness. He talked my Son through what he had found and the surgery that would be needed to help him recovery. He made him feel at ease and comfortable before and after his surgery. His recovery has been successful. My family has been with him for over 25 years. My Father, Uncle, Aunt and now my Son.
Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr. McHugh is a warm, compassionant doctor that puts the patient at ease.
in Blairsville, GA |
The office is wonderful the Doctor is superb! Yes
in Clarkesville, Ga |
Dr. McHugh is an excellent listener. He is calm in his approach, and is quick to point out his need to be better in his work. I don't know how he could be better than he is now. I am very fortunate to have him as my Urologist!! I feel very confident in his approach to me and my issues. Thank you Doc!!! Larry Shedd
in Cumming, GA |
This was my third visit with Dr. McHugh and I could not be happier for choosing him as my urologist. His great bedside manner makes you comfortable the minute he walks in the room. He is patient, polite and takes the time necessary to be sure you understand your options.
Atlanta, GA |
I want thank Dr. McHugh. My visit was absolutely wonderful. I am very excited to find such a great Dr. work with.
in Cornelia, Ga |
I felt very comfortable and at ease as soon as I walked In the office. There was a little paperwork to fill out but nothing to bad. Dr McHughs was very knowledgeable on my issue and even said that if I would like to visit another dr for a 2nd opinion would be ok with him. Made me feel more confident in him. I would recommend him.
Atlanta, GA |
Dr McHugh is a very caring and professional doctor. He listened to my problems and recommended a course of action in a clear and understandable manner.
in Clayton, GA |
Dr. McHugh is personable, kind, attentive and accommodating. He makes difficult subjects easy to discuss. His positive attitude is contagious.
in Gainesville, GA |
I was very pleased with my appointment with Dr. McHugh. He was attentive and explained the procedures necessary to resolve my health issue and listened to and answered my questions.
Gainesville, GA |
I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. McHugh! He is very personal and has a calming demeanor.
in Blairsville, GA |
I have been seeing Dr.McHugh for the past six years.I regard his knowledge in the field of urology very highly. He has always been very open in discussing any problem that he may find with me. I feel very comfortable in any conversation I may have with him. I would readily recommend him to anyone.
Doctor Mchugh was overall wonderful. I came in, didn't have to wait long. They took every step to find out why I was hurting and prescribed me medicine I needed to relieve my pain. He was very funny and put a smile on my face while I was being seen. He was very generous and I would highly recommend him to those having kidney etc issues. I have referred many family members and friends to his office!
in Cumming, GA |
My wife and I are both patients of Dr. McHugh and very proud to say so. We love and think the world of him. We knew his brother Rusty and loved him as well. To us there is no other Urologist. We love coming to this office, it's like coming to see family. All the staff is always very nice and happy to see you and willing to help anyway they can.
I am constantly recommending Dr. McHugh to anyone and everyone that opens up and discusses their bladder issues, kidney issues, female issues...and my dearest male friends are even comfortable discussing their prostate issues with me so I send them ALL to Dr. McHugh. My personal experience with this fabulous doctor, was his natural ability to make me feel at ease and comfortable, when I am generally shy and modest by nature. Laughter is medicine I welcome, and Dr. McHugh never fails to deliver!
in Demorest Ga |
Everything went well and Dr. MCHugh was very thorough and personable .
in Gillsville, GA |
Dr. McHugh took the time to sit down and talk with me about my test results. Most doctors stand and always seem rushed. He was very kind and caring.
Gainesville, GA |
I love Dr. McHugh. Such a friendly doctor. Very knowledgeable.
Gainesville, GA |
BEEN MY DR FOR 20 YEARS. COULDN'T ASK FOR A BETTER CARING DR.
Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh is one of the best doctors I know, he is so caring and I feel like an old friend when I see him, wouldn't trade him for anyone else.
in Clermont, GA |
Been a patient of Dr. McHugh for many years. He is very pleasant and professional. I highly recommend.
in Gainesville, GA |
The day I had a procedure by Dr. McHugh, a local retired urologist was having a procedure done also. That was a good sign that I had the best urologist in the Gainesville area.
in Cleveland, Ga |
Good ,professional and helpful. Listens and answers my questions or concerns..Thanks, Ralph Daniel
Clarkesville, Ga. |
Professional and attentive
in Gainesville, GA |
I have been seeing Dr McHugh for 26 years. Kidney stones are not the most convenient, but Dr McHughs office is always there to help me at a moments notice. As a patient, the front desk is one of the most important part of a doctor's office, and they are great at this office. Dr McHugh is very good at explaining your health issues as well. He has a great bedside manner!
in Gainesville, GA |
worlds greatest doctor...and a real nice guy,have and will continue to recommend him..
in Cleveland, GA |
Dr. McHugh has been my urologist since July 1997 when I was found to have prostate cancer. He discussed the various options (pros and cons) and answered all my questions. I highly recommend him.
in Jefferson |
Dr. McHugh is great have recommended for 40 years. My father also went to him.
in Mt. Airy, Ga |
Excellent doctor, clear communicator, great sense of humor, makes patient feel at ease
in Young Harris, GA |
Dr. McHugh is excellent in every way. He explains every option, advises and then lets the patient decide. Great bedside manner. The fact that he has had cancer himself, he is very compassionate and understanding. Cannot think of anything negative about him!!
Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh took his time and was very gentle and patient with my elderly mother. I appreciated the way he treated her with respect.
in Toccoa, GA |
Excellent doctor with a staff that gets it right. Easy to talk with and always tries to understand the concerns of the patient. All are top notch professionals.
in Demorest, GA |
Dr. McHugh has a wonderful beside manner. He took time to talk with us, listen, and address my husband's medical issue. I am so glad we chose him . I can't say enough kind things about him. I would highly recommend him to my family and friends.
in HOSCHTON Ga. |
As usual it was a great visit. He is very professional and puts me a ease. He answers all of my questions.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh is always caring and concern about any issue that I may have. He has been my Doctor for about 20 years and will not go to another Urologist. DR. MCHUGH....YOU ROCK!
in Murrayville, Ga 30564 |
I would recommend Dr. McHugh to anyone needing a Urologist. He is very informative and takes special care of his patients. He does his best to never let any problem slip by him. Bedside matter is very good. Very easy to talk to and explains everything in a matter you can understand. His staff is excellant and always takes care of our needs. Always used his office. Dr. Jones was our Urologist and was very glad when he retired that we were able to switch to Dr. McHugh. We think he is the bes
Clayton, GA |
I have been a patient of Dr. McHugh since 2014. I have always received first class treatment from Dr. McHugh and his staff. This may sound a little strange, but I when I go for my appointments, it's like a visit with family friends. The attention given to listening and the compassion and care given are second to none. I highly recommend Dr. McHugh and his staff.
in Gainesville, GA |
I would recommend Dr. McHugh to all family and friends.
in Monroe, Ga. |
Very Pleased with Dr. McHugh, I drive from Monroe, Ga. (about 1 hr. drive ) to see him every 6 mths.
in Clarkesville, GA |
Dr, McHugh is helpful, approachable, and highly professional. Also efficient and appropriately conservative in his approach.
in Baldwin, GA |
Very friendly and professional!
in Flowery Branch, GA |
He is ALWAYS down to earth making him much easier to talk to than most other doctors. Even when dealing with more important diagnosis he comes alongside you to help you through it.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh was a blessing to me in my time of need. He assured me that all would be fine and he assisted me in my recovery. He was SO personable and I am blessed to be a patient of his.
in Gainesville, GA |
Dr. McHugh is a kind and compassionate physician. He listens to his patients and goes out of his way to make them comfortable. He is very knowledgeable about urology and the latest treatments. He is an all around wonderful physician. He is an asset to the Gainesville area.
Dawsonville, GA |
Very with Dr. McHugh and staff, personable and seem to really care about me.
in Gainesville, Ga |
Dr McHugh was not only very knowledgeable but also very personable. He was diligent in answering questions and explaining the process.
Have you seen Dr. John McHugh, MD?
Are you Dr. McHugh?

Compare Dr. McHugh

Dr. McHugh says...

He has practiced urology in Gainesville, Ga with the same group and in the same location for thirty years.  He has been married to his wife, Karen, since 1979. They have three children.

Dr. McHugh's Care Philosophy

Dr. McHugh says...

Thirty years of experience in treating all urological illnesses to include kidney stone disease, male and female incontinence, prostate and bladder cancer, and the evaluation of blood in the urine and elevated PSA.

Dr. McHugh uses the No Needle No Scalpel method in performing vasectomies and care is taken to emphasis patient comfort. A vasectomy can be performed in the office with pre procedure medications and local anesthesia and Northeast Georgia Urological Associates has the option of light general anesthesia for vasectomies in our ambulatory surgery center.

Dr. McHugh is one of the most experienced urological micro-surgeons in Georgia having performed over 200 Microscopic Vasectomy Reversals in our ambulatory surgery center. He uses an operating microscope, microscopic suture and instruments and general anesthesia. The procedure is out patient, usually takes approximately two and a half hours. Please see his website dedicated to reversals: Georgia Vasectomy Reversal.

Dr. McHugh performs commonly:

• GreenLight Laser Prostatectomy for BPH (Prostate enlargement)
  • No Needle No Scalpel Vasectomy
  • The evaluation of hematuria (Blood in the urine)
  • The evaluation of an elevated PSA (Prostate Biopsy). The biopsy is performed in our ambulatory surgery center so it is pain free.
  • Dr. McHugh is one of Georgia's most experienced urologists in performing the Microscopic Vasectomy Reversal
  • Management of kidney stones with ESWL (Extra corporal shock wave lithotripsy) and ureteroscopy both of which are performed in our surgery center.

Dr. McHugh's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Urology
  •  Board certified in Urology

Dr. McHugh has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

Why It Matters: Dr. McHugh's Board Certifications

• Bladder Diseases
  • Bladder Diverticulum
  • Bladder Infection
  • Bladder Stones
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Chronic Kidney Diseases
  • Congenital Obstruction of Ureteropelvic Junction
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • End-Stage Renal Disease
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Erectile Dysfunction
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Kidney Disease
  • Kidney Infection, Acute
  • Kidney Infection, Chronic
  • Kidney Stone Pain (Renal Colic)
  • Kidney Stones
  • Male Infertility
  • Male Sexual Conditions
  • Neurogenic Bladder
  • Nighttime Urination (Nocturia)
  • Overactive Bladder
  • Painful Urination (Dysuria)
  • Penile Cancer
  • Peyronie's Disease
  • Premature Ejaculation
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Prostatitis
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Hesitancy
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Stones
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Urinary Urgency

Med College Of Georgia

Completed in 1986

North Georgia College

Graduated in 1977

Dr. McHugh does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McHugh and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Urology

• Bladder Surgery
  • Complex Penile Surgery
  • Cystometry
  • Cystotomy
  • Cystourethroscopy and Transurethral Resection of Bladder Neck
  • Green Light Photovaporization of the Prostate (PVP)
  • Hormone Replacement Therapy
  • TURP (Transurethral Resection of Prostate) or Laser Destruction of Prostate
  • Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy
  • Ureterscopies
  • Urinary Incontinence Surgery
  • Urinary Stone Removal (Litholapaxy)
  • Uroflowmetry