Neuro-Ophthalmology  |
Dr. John McHenry, MD
Dr. John McHenry, MD is a neuro-ophthalmology doctor who practices in Dallas, TX. He is 58 years old and has been practicing for 30 years. Dr. McHenry is affiliated with Dallas Medical Center.

John G Mchenry MD

• Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
  • HealthFirst

Learn about Dr. McHenry

Dr. McHenry's Experience

Dr. McHenry's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neuro-Ophthalmology

• Corneal Diseases
  • Corneal Ulcer
  • Dacryoadenitis
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Eyes
  • Retinal Detachment and Retinal Tear
  • Retinal Dystrophy
  • Retinal Ischemia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Strabismus

• Kresge Eye Institute
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1991
  • Kresge Eye Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992

Dr. McHenry has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McHenry does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McHenry and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McHenry's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McHenry to family and friends
2.3
Dr. McHenry's Performance
Arlington, TX |
Terrible experience. Staff performing tests they aren't trained to do, dr who doesn't look beyond numbers that don't make sense or hear a patient telling him they are recording wrong results on those tests. Impossible to talk to dr or staff about anything. When you do ask dr questions you're treated like an inconvenience. He will prescribe adult doses of meds to a child despite being confronted about the "mistake". Billing insurance for unnecessary tests. I could go on and on. Beware.
in Bellevue, WA |
I have been a patient for 10 years. My initial visit, he actually read my paperwork, asked follow-up questions, listened to my responses. He saw me as a person, & within a few short months, had my pain under control & my vision working. I strongly recommend Dr McHenry for any issues with your eyes. He has the experience, knowledge, & compassion for his patients. His support staff is courteous, knowledgeable, prompt, especially with the small details. They're FANTASTIC!
Richardson, TX |
The staff in this office is very friendly. Dr. McHenry has taken good care of me this last year since I lost most of the vision in my right eye. He discovered that I have a clotting disorder and that a clot migrated to my optic nerve, following a major surgery. Over the course of the year I have had tons of tests in the office and I appreciate his being thorough in managing my care. He's not warm and fuzzy, but answers any question I have for him. I am grateful to have been referred to him!
Fort worth tx |
Worse run office I've ever been in. No one has medical training ial training, just entry level test takers. He won't say more than 10 words and will walk out on you mid question. Tell you it might be an aneurysm and turn your life upside down and walk out with no details. He obviously is brilliant, but there's a line and with 80 employees, it should be better than this.
Dallas, TX |
I see the DR on a weekly basis to be diagnosed w/ a rare disease #1 He is a good doctor #2 He is a specialist U should be referred & have an idea of UR probs & what tests U need/had. He sees a lot ppl, does NOT spend that much time with U/communicate great/have good bedside manor. Have ?s & concerns/tests ready before U go in #3 Him/his staff take very good notes & communicate well with other doctors/insurance #4 They take thorough tests every time u go in & have a systematic process.
in Dallas, TX |
After a questionable experience (and a pretty severe diagnosis) I went for a second opinion. The second doctor said I had been completely misdiagnosed! There is no way that this doctor can accurately diagnose and treat the massive amount of patients he sees. He will be in the room with you for no longer than 4 minutes. Good luck getting any answers to your questions from him. I also get the sense that he is somehow financially invested in the imaging tests he orders. Something doesn't feel right
in Richardson, TX |
rundown office, lg # pts herded through confusing maze of rms, 45 min wait to see McH at end of 1st appt. At least 1/2 doz tests at 1st appt. Staff wanted to do some repeats at 2nd visit. I questioned the value of repeats. Staff said there were some that I could skip. Had I not questioned it, how many unnecessary tests would they have done? Dont know results of tests that were done. Uninformative interactions with McHenry. Learned little new about my situation. Ghastly experience.
in Plano, TX |
We saw Dr. McHenry for a whole year and he failed to properly diagnose my son. I should seek legal action as my son now has damage to his eyes. He doesn't explain anything as he's only in the exam with you for less than 2 minutes. Find another doctor!
in Dallas, TX |
worst doctor experience ever. does not communicate with patients. ruined eyes. do not go to him!!
in Dallas, TX |
He should be setting in a room doing research! He should never see patients. There is no interaction, it was so creepy I couldn't wait to get home and shower! Even his staff is apologizing for him!!!!! He did nothing that any other eye doctor couldn't do. He was nothing special, actually I have never met anyone that was just devoid yuck! I WILL HAVE TO SAY HIS STAFF IS AWESOME!!! But they would have to be to deal with him! Just YUCK! I can't even describe him other than NOTHING, CREEPY
in Dallas, TX |
First, the good. I was able to get an appointment quickly with him. Second, the people who work there are nice, Now the negative. He completely misdiagnosed me, Even the prescription for glasses (which he did not test for, one of his employees did) was way off. Bottom line, I do not recommend Dr. McHenry. Even if you have to wait longer or travel farther, find another doctor.
in Mesquite,TX |
This Doctor will swindle every cent you have. Had to get multiple MRI's done and even one surgery only to later learn it was all unnecessary from another doctor. My advice, avoid this guy like the plague, and if you were unfortunate enough to have seen him, GET A SECOND OPNION. I've spoken to others in this field and they all say McHenry has numerous complaints and is best to be avoided. The office is also filthy I don't think they clean anything. Makes you wonder about the instruments he uses
in Dallas, TX |
He is very straight to the point, knows his stuff. He's not going to sugar coat things or listen to your feelings & emotions, takes his role seriously. He's not only a neuro- Opthalmologist but a neuro- surgeon. I've seen so many doctors over the course of a year for my Pseudotumor Cerebri diagnosis and he is by far the best. He has the largest group of Pseudotumor Cerebri patients in the Southwest. Ppl fly in to see him from out of state & all over TX for a reason. I highly recommend him.
Arlington, TX |
The clinic's staff are unprofessional and rude. The secretaries don't smile and just want to make sure to get a copy of your insurance card. The technicians examine sloppily and tried to put outdated dilation drops in my eyes. I was put through test after test without being asked once why I was there. I felt like an animal. I saw Dr. Mchenry for 5 mins after nearly 4 hours of examination and waiting. The equipment he uses in the clinic is all old & dirty. Dr. gets annoyed from asking questions.
Dallas, TX |
Not enough space to put everything. But the major issues, he spends only seconds with you, mumbles and rushes out. He diagnosed me and treated me with something I do not have. The only way to be diagnosed with what he said he was treating me for is a spinal tap, never had one done. This caused me a lot of wasted time and money! Now I can cancel my C-section and give birth naturally, thanks to my new Dr and correct diagnosis! Office is gross, too many workers, shuffled from room to room. A PAIN!
in Denton, TX |
A visit to one of the two locations is an experience in the Ford assembly line version of medical treatment. Perhaps for a condition with a common cause, Dr. McHenry would be a good treatment option. For my situation, it was costly, time consuming, painful and ultimately not at all effective.
in Dallas, TX |
Went to see Dr. McHenry today with my boyfriend and while he doesn't say much, we felt very confident that he knew his stuff. He had a number of excellent suggestions about medication, and answered questions we had about his somewhat unusual eye condition. I'll update if I feel differently about subsequent visits, but so far we really like him. We had done research prior to going in to see him, and had questions - he took his time and thoughtfully answered each of them.
in 115 sunray mabank tx 75156 |
He has been good for me. Has helped my problem and found problems I never knew about .
in Mesquite, Texas |
Runs tons of tests then makes you come in every week so he can run the same tests over and continue you inn a treatment that is making your vision worse. He might spend 1 whole minute with you. Refuses to answer any questions pour even tell you what condition you have and what he's tearing you for. My vision has become progressively worse since I've been seeing him. Today he had a sign on the wall that started that if anyone in the room stood up or moved a chair that the exam would be terminated
in Waxahachie, TX |
If you enjoy being treated like a cow this is the place for you. Dr McHenry fancies himself as a cowboy, per his office d?cor, and that is exactly how he runs his office, like a cattle ranch. He spends little to no time with you, is always in a hurry to get in and out, has a terrible bedside manner at best. His staff is friendly enough, for the most part but they are poorly trained, you go through the same procedures EVERY time you go into the office and you pay a co-pay even for post op. Run!
in Plano Texas |
He does not talk to his patients. My mother has been going to him for 7 years. He had her coming every two weeks for a while and then spent less than 60 SECONDS in the room with her. He sends her for blood tests and then doesn't remember. He had her spending a fortune on eye drops that didn't help. The eye drops just made her eyes look bloody. Just switched doctors and they took her off all eye drops and she is doing so much better. I was told that many doctors are hearing complaints on Dr McHen
Have you seen Dr. John McHenry, MD?
Are you Dr. McHenry?