Dr. John McElveen, MD

Ear, Nose, and Throat •  Male • Age 68

Dr. McElveen

Carolina Ear & Hearing Clinic

5900 Six Forks Rd Raleigh, NC 27609

Dr. John McElveen, MD is a Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat) Specialist in Raleigh, NC. Dr. McElveen has more experience with Otologic Care than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Duke Health Raleigh Hospital and Prisma Health Greenville Memorial Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. McElveen to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat) Specialists in your area

See similar Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat) Specialists in Raleigh

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

Dr. McElveen accepts

Dr. McElveen accepts the following insurance:

Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union
Commercial Insurance Company
CoreSource
Coventry Health Care
Golden Rule
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA
HealthPartners
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
MedCost
MedCost PPO
Medicaid
Planned Administration Inc
Tricare
TriCare for Life

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Otologic Care

Otolgic care is s subspecialty of otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat) that focuses on symptoms and conditions of the ear, including hearing loss, tinnitus, dizziness and infections.Compare with other Otologic Care specialists.

Typically treats 80% more than their peers

• EMG (Electromyography)
  • Enlarged Turbinates
  • ENT Surgery
  • Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Head and Neck Cancer
  • Otitis Media
  • Otosclerosis
  • Outer Ear Infection
  • Perforated Eardrum
  • Perforated Eardrum Repair (Tympanoplasty)
  • Perilymph Fistula (PLF)
  • Sinusitis
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Vertigo
  • Vocal Cord Paralysis

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. John McElveen, MD...

Offer weekend visits?

Offer an online patient portal?

Communicate via email?

Offer evening visits?

Have free onsite parking?

Dr. McElveen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. McElveen

4.5

Dr. McElveen?
Absolutely the best physician I have ever met. Patient first. Straight shooter. Uses medicine and experience to get to the correct root cause of the issue.
Jeffrey Frank Hinson – May 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. John McElveen, Jr., MD is superior in his field and I chose him for my tympanoplasty - reconstruction of the eardrum - because of his vast experience and success rates over most other surgeons. I have had hearing loss 90 % of my life and then later in adult life, dizzy spells and vertigo entered the picture. One doctor erroneously diagnosed Meniere's disease. Thank God for second opinions and Dr. McElveen. I'm blessed to have my hearing restored completely; and learning and social interactions have soared. Thank you immensely Dr. McElveen and Angela Posidente for your surpassing efforts.
Teresa M. of Greenville, SC – May 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen rescued me from neurologists who thought I needed to see a psychiatrist due to vertigo, headaches, and Meniere's symptoms. He diagnosed me with Vestibular Migraines with Meniere's symptoms. I cannot put into words how phenomenal Dr. McElveen is! He is truly a gift from God!
Debbie Moore – May 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
There is not enough stars to give Dr. McElveen Jr. enough credit for what he has done for me! In October I was suffering from dizziness, walking with a cane, fluid coming from my nose and ears constantly, and often bouts of Vertigo. I am 71 yrs old and have had this for 20 years. Living in Simpsonville, SC, I was referred to Dr. McElveen by Dr. Patrick McClear I have been seeing for 15 years, he also had done one of my now 5 surgeries. I have a rare decease called Pseudo Tumor Cerebri with a results of making too much spinal fluid therefore it comes out of my ears and nose. On October 31, 2019 Dr. McElveen performed my surgery and was able to find 3 holes in my scull and repair them. I am free of all the things I wrote about above. Dr. McElveen came to Greenville, SC to do the surgery, explained in detail before and after to me & my husband the procedure. Took pictures of the holes in my scull and gave us copies. He is capable of handling extensive surgeries.
Sheila Click – Jan 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. McElveen for 4 1/2+ years. He recently performed surgery on my right ear, and I have hearing in that ear for the first time in several years. I have found him to be kind, thorough, professional, knowledgeable and cordial each and every time. He is the best in his field, and it shows. I would give him ten stars if I could!
Robert Lawson – Dec 26, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
I had surgery in 2007 to correct damage in my left ear. I was referred by my ENT in Greenville, SC. I had surgery in Raleigh, NC and have a BAHA device that I put on every day. I couldn’t be more pleased and happy for all he has done for me over the years. He is top-notch in my book. I noticed some people were upset about waiting to get in at appointments. I would wait all day to see Dr. McElveen. He will always be my hero.
Pattie Zitricki – Dec 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
There are not enough stars to say how highly we would recommend Dr. McElveen. He did what another doctor failed at which was repair my daughters ear. He listened to all of our concerns and was amazing when it came to interacting with my daughter. She likes to draw pictures for people and he kept every single one in her chart so she sees it every visit and knows he had kept it. This may seem silly, but for us it was the extra mile. The staff at his office are amazing and caring. We’d give 100 stars if we could!
Christine – Dec 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen removed an acoustic neuroma in 2011 and implanted a Baha hearing aid the next year. All things considered, the experience was good. I have the utmost faith in him.
Nov 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr McElveen repaired my eardrum and increased my hearing greatly. I had surgery in Greenville, S.C. He is the best as far as I am concerned. He put me at ease about my surgery and explained the procedure and expectations in a manner I could understand. His office staff is the best. They make sure you have everything you need and are eager to answer your questions. I had put this surgery off for years because I was afraid. He eased my fears and I knew things would go well.
Shirley Coker in Anderson , SC – Nov 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen is a very talented surgeon who has a great compassion for his patients and their ability to hear. Dr. McElveen performed the Ponto Bone Anchoring implants on the left and right sides for me. Before the implants, I was almost completely deaf and his surgery has changed my life. Hearing my granddaughter’s voice riding in a car, touched my heart. The technology and efficiency of these implants is nothing short of a miracle. Dr. McElveen made a difference in my life in so many ways.
Michael Denton, Wilson, N.C. – Oct 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen performed surgery on each of my ears over a six year period. The most recent surgery led to a marked improvement in my hearing. The other surgery dealt with an imbedded cyst that was successfully removed with the ear drum repaired. In both cases, Dr. McElveen was professional, efficient and effective. I have the impression that there are not many surgeons with his skills.
Barry Nocks – Aug 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen did my surgery for a cochlear implant. After researching centers and surgeons for a long time and originally from NYC I decided he had the expertise and reputation I was seeking. Everything from evaluation to recovery was perfect. He is the best! His audiologists are incredibly experienced and compassionate.
Lisa P – Aug 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
After being diagnosed with otosclerosis in both ears, I was referred to Dr. McElveen. He was very thorough with his exam and answered all of my questions. I had surgery in January on one ear, and on the other ear in May. He was very prompt when it came to surgery time. He took time after each surgery to speak to my husband and answer any of his questions. I live three hours away from his office and his staff has been so great to work with me for appointments and surgery times. I would highly recommend Dr. McElveen.
Jennifer – Aug 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McEleen has done 3 surgeries on my right ear! I’ve lived my entire life not being able to hear. But now thank to Mr. McElveen I can hear! It’s amazing!! I can hear my wife,mom,daughter talk and can carry on a conversation! 56 years old and I simply can’t believe it!! Thank you Doctor!! But I still can’t play a piano!! Lol !!
Phil Dawg – Jul 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen corrected an issue that I'd been dealing with for 13+ years. He is knowledgeable beyond words and he treated me and my family with the upmost respect.
Apr 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen is a top notch doctor and did a great job with my surgery. He explains everything well and did an excellent job. Of course he's busy and there were times that I've waited for appointments but on surgery day he was prompt and kind and clear on what was going to happen next.
Apr 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen made a new eardrum for my left ear and put in a titanium prosthesis where the bones behind my eardrum had deteriorated. This was a process of two surgeries about 7 months apart. Both experiences were the most professional medical procedures, consultations, follow-up appointments and interactions I have ever had with any doctor. I am grateful to be hearing more than ever in my left ear. Thank you Dr. McElveen and staff!!
Apr 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen and his staff are exceptional! My mother is a patient of Dr. McElveen's and has always raved about him, so when my son needed an ear specialist, we didn't hesitate. My son received the best care and we could not have asked for a better result. Highly recommend.
Rebecca in Raleigh – Mar 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Dr. McElveen replaced our son's eardrum recently and we could not be happier with our experience. Our son had undergone a previous surgery with a different surgeon that was unsuccessful and was just overall a bad experience. Dr. McElveen came highly recommended by a friend whose son had a similar surgery. He took great care of our son. He was very confident and professional with a great bedside manner. We are very thankful we were referred to him and will highly recommend him to others.
Huntersville – Feb 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?
Hearing loss in my left ear was a major factor that caused me to retire from teaching. I couldn't hear students in the back of the room. For two years, several doctors misdiagnosed my problem. When I was finally referred to Dr. McElveen, in one minute, he diagnosed a large cyst in my ear. Two years and two surgeries later, I can hear again! I will forever be grateful to Dr. McElveen for giving my hearing and my social life back again!!
Emily Albera in Bath, NC – Jan 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John McElveen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. McElveen?

Following my ENT residency at Stanford, I performed an Otology & Skull Base Surgery fellowship at the renowned House Ear Clinic. I was trained by Bill House, the father of cochlear implant surgery & acoustic tumor surgery. Jim Sheehy & De...Read more

• Ear, Nose, and Throat
  • Neurotology
  • Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery

1974
Davidson College

• German

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. McElveen communicate via email?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. McElveen offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. McElveen offer an online patient portal?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. McElveen have free onsite parking?

1 user said yes. What's your ?

• Does Dr. McElveen offer weekend visits?

1 user said no. What's your ?

• Does Dr. McElveen offer evening visits?

Please call the office to learn more. (919) 876-4327