Dr. John McBurney, MD

Dr. John McBurney, MD

Neurology  ·
Dr. John McBurney, MD is a neurology specialist in Albuquerque, NM and has been practicing for 33 years. He graduated from Emory University in 1981 and specializes in neurology.Read his story

2211 Lomas Blvd NE

Albuquerque, NM 87106

• First Choice Health
  • Health Net
  • LifeWise

Learn about Dr. McBurney

See how frequently Dr. McBurney performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Epilepsy
Brain Disorders
Trigeminal Neuralgia

Dr. McBurney's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. McBurney's bio

This content was provided by Dr. McBurney "I was born and raised in Opelika, a small town in east Alabama. I was the first person in my family to graduate from college, graduating cum laude from Auburn University (sorry Duck fans) in 1977. My clinical career actually begin in 1974 when I began working as a nursing assistant in the same hospital I was born in and where I continued to work full time until my graduation. At Auburn I was in the marching band, sitting second chair first trumpets. I then attended Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta on a military scholarship. I started my post-graduate training as a psychiatry intern at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington DC but changed to neurology, graduating in 1985. I was a solo neurologist at Ft. Benning, GA after graduation for 3 years. I became interested in epilepsy as a result of taking care of patient's with medically refractory at Ft. Benning. I was encouraged to pursue additional training in EEG and Epilepsy by Dr. J. Kiffin Penry, who was then a dean at Wake Forest and was the former founder of the epilepsy branch at the National Institutes of Health. I returned to Walter Reed to do my fellowship in 1988. As a fellow I spent half the year at NIH working with Susumo Sato and William Theodore in the clinical center. I was also centrally involved in starting a epilepsy surgery program at Walter Reed. For this I was awarded the Erskine Graves Award for the outstanding graduating fellow in 1989. After fellowship I was assigned to Madigan Army Medical Center near Tacoma, WA where I fell in love with the pacific northwest. At Madigan I was able to establish a dedicated epilepsy monitoring unit and sleep lab. In addition, I was involved in starting the neurology residency there and acted as assistant chief of neurology, director of EEG and Sleep and deputy residency director. When I retired from the Army in 1998 I was awarded the Legion of Merit, the highest award given to uniformed service members in peacetime. I was then faculty at the University of Alabama Birmingham where I divided my time between the Epilepsy Center and Sleep Center. I left academics and pursued private and group practice opportunities. In 2005 I was selected to Best Doctors. In 2012 I entered a new phase of my career when I enrolled in the fellowship in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona School of Medicine. This is the program founded by Andrew Weil MD and is a 2-year, 1000 contact hour distance learning fellowship with 3 weeks in residence in Tucson. I feel this experience has broadened my perspective on what constitutes health and healing. It has reinvigorated my passion for patient care. "

This content was provided by Dr. McBurney "I am committed to providing holistic, compassionate, patient-centered care for patients and families confronting neurological illness, especially epilepsy. I recognize that while seizure control is the main goal of treatment, epilepsy is a complex illness that touches every aspect of life. Quality of life is paramount. I believe that mindfulness and compassion are the cornerstones of effective management of chronic illness."

• Neurology

• Neurology
    Accredited by: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology*

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for New Mexico.

• Auburn University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985
  • University of Arizona
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989

Dr. McBurney has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McBurney does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McBurney and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McBurney's Reviews

4.3
Likelihood of recommending Dr. McBurney to family and friends
11 total reviews (1 has a comment)

Dr. McBurney's Performance

Dr. McBurney has been a godsend to my family and I. I've seen many specialists, including other neurologists, and he is leaps and bounds superior to them in all aspects of his profession, including empathy! He listens to you, accepts your input and provides his own. He explores options most Drs are...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option18thumbs down icon option0