Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. John Mahon, MD
Dr. Mahon began his hand surgery practice in South Bend in 1990 and continued there through 2007. During that time, he developed the hand surgery program at the South Bend Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine Clinic and served as the hand surgery consultant to the varsity athletics program at the University of Notre Dame. He was an instructor at the Indiana University Medical School upper extremity anatomy course and with the South Bend Family Practice residency programs. He has also served as an instructor and lecturer at national courses and is published in orthopaedic peer-reviewed literature. His time in Indiana was interrupted by service in the United States Navy during Operation Desert Storm when he was assigned to the San Diego Naval Hospital, and a more recent three-year relocation to Colorado where he established the Northern Colorado Hand & Wrist Center. He is happy to be back in Indiana and looks forward to many years back home. An avid athlete, Dr. Mahon regularly completes the Sunburst Full Marathon and has completed the Brooklyn Bridge Swim as well as two Ironman Triathlons and the Beach to Battleship Triathlon. He has earned the coveted "buckle" for finishing the Leadville 100 mountain bike race in under 12 hours, participated in the 18 Hours of Fruita mountain bike race and Ride Across Indiana. He is also a nationally ranked Scrabble player who, along with his wife, has five children living across the United States.

6301 University Commons

South Bend, IN 46635

Dr. John Mahon, MD

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • CHAMPVA
  • CoreSource
  • Medicare
  • Meritain Health
  • Physicians Health Plan of Northern Indiana, Inc.
  • Sagamore Health Network
  • SelectHealth
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Mahon

Dr. Mahon provides operative and non-operative treatment for all conditions affecting the hand, wrist and elbow. Conservative in his approach to treatment, Dr. Mahon recognizes that many conditions respond well to non-operative measures and require only time, monitoring, or a supervised course of therapy. He is committed to delivering the highest quality medical care from evaluation and diagnosis through treatment and return to maximum function.

Dr. Mahon's Experience

Dr. Mahon's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Gouty Arthropathy
  • Hand Fracture
  • Hand Neuropathy
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Ligament Sprain
  • Soft Tissue Sarcoma
  • Tendon Disorders
  • Tendon Injuries
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tenosynovitis

• Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Ligament Reconstruction
  • Wrist Replacement
  • Wrist and Forearm Tenotomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Indiana.

• Notre Dame
  • Ny and Presby Hp Columbia Campus
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1990

Dr. Mahon does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mahon and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Mahon's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mahon to family and friends
Dr. Mahon's Performance
in Granger, IN |
I had a lipoma on my right wrist and saw Dr. Mahon who suggested I might want to have it removed. Dr. Mahon was so nice to me and explained everything thoroughly. Surgery went well and I would definitely see him again and recommend him to anyone with any problems with their hands or wrists. His staff was very knowledgeable and easy to work with.
in South Bend |
I highly recommend Dr. John Mahon for any issues regarding the hand or wrist. As a senior with aging issues, I found Dr. Mahon to be very helpful in my diagnosis and thorough in explaining the surgery that was needed. I experienced outstanding service from the entire staff at Northern Indiana Hand & Wrist which included insurance questions, making appointments for surgery and post surgery physical therapy. Further, my experience with South Bend Specialty Surgery Center was outstanding!
in Niles, MI |
I was very happy with my overall experince with Dr Mahon and his staff. Plays great music in the operating room!
Dr. Mahon and his staff provided professional (and friendly) medical service re: my husband's carpal tunnel problem and also provided quick and professional medical assistance re: my elderly father's trigger finger and carpal tunnel problems. In both instances, we were very satisfied and happy with the quality of medical assistance we received - Dr. Mahon and the entire staff were very patient focused. Highly recommend Northern Indiana Hand and Wrist Center!
in Granger, IN |
I highly recommend Dr. Mahon. He's an excellent surgeon with excellent bed side manner. He's thorough, thoughtful and kind. His office was highly organized, clean, comfortable and well decorated. His staff was friendly and courteous. Wait time was almost zero. Very punctual.He explained everything clearly, even gave me a copy of an article from a medical journal to answer my question. I was pleased with the outcome of my surgery and felt that I was in good hands.
in South Bend, IN |
I am extremely happy with services received by Dr. Mahon. He is professional, personable, and his staff are very friendly.
in Noxon, MT |
My experience with Dr. Mahon and his staff has been "Outstanding". I suffer from a serious disabling disease called Dupuytrin Contractions affecting both of my hands. In the past, I have had 6-prior surgeries on my hands and received excellent care. Dr. Mahons surgical skills are "impeccable" along with his sincere interest on my well being. His medical facility, and medical staff are "Second to Done". I don't believe you can receive better surgical care and treatment.
in Niles, MI |
My total experience with these folks was awesome! Their attitude and efficiency were great, both in Dr. Mahon's office and at his surgical center. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone needing that sort of treatment.
I hand 2 finger surgeries in the early 90's with excellent results. I was very happy to hear that Dr. Mahon was "back in town" when I needed another hand surgery. Very professional with excellent results.
South Bend, IN |
I highly recommend Dr. Mahon. He is clear, friendly and professional. He came highly recommended by nurses at Memorial Hospital. Theirs is the best recommendation since they work with the doctor.
in Benton Harbor, MI |
Everything about my experience with Dr. Mahon and his staff was absolutely amazing. As far as waiting around in the waiting room to get into the exam room, forget about it! I think the most time I waited in the waiting room was 5 minutes! And after that, again, Dr. Mahon would come into the exam room within a minute or 2. This is an efficient office! I had an ulnar shortening and ligament repair on my left wrist. Surgery went well and I feel great! I came from MI do see him & don't regret it!
in Warsaw, IN |
Very friendly, very professional, listens well and most of all really knows what he's doing. Overall a very good Doctor. Highly recommend him.
in South Bend, IN |
Dr. Mahon is a hand and wrist specialist, and after an injury I was referred to him by another physician for treatment and surgery. It was very successful and I would highly recommend Dr. Mahon. He also works closely with the occupational therapist at his office to develop a recovery plan for your specific situation.
Thank you very much for your recommendation! Thanks also for letting others know that Dr. Mahon works closely with Amy M., the certified hand therapist who sees patients in our office. Having her in-office goes a long way toward individualizing each patient's care. We appreciate your feedback!
in Granger, IN |
Dr. Mahon has taken exceptional care of both myself and my 11 year old daughter. He is a wonderful physician and has great bedside manner. I would definitely say he is the very best orthopedic doc around! His office staff is also amazing! So friendly and compassionate to their patients. I would highly recommend this practice if you are in need of orthopedic services. Thank you for being so amazing! You guys exceeded our expectations!
Thank you very much for your enthusiastic recommendation! We're thrilled that we exceeded your expectations--it's what we strive to do with all our patients!
On time, informative. As anticipated
in Mishawaka, IN |
Office staff is very rude. They insisted that we pay a portion of the visit, BEFORE seeing the Dr. We have insurance through Anthem and told them that our deductible has been met, so the visit should be covered 100%. They didnt believe me. I had Anthem call Dr. Mahon's office and tell them that the visit would be covered 100%, and they still told Anthem that they didn't believe them. They told me that if insurance paid the bill, they would reimburse us. Insurance paid 100% of the bill 6 we
It isn't uncommon for insurance electronic eligibility systems to show different information than what their representatives see. We rely on information we obtain through these systems. We do our best to provide accurate data based on real time information, but there are times the information is incorrect. This is frustrating for everyone. If any refund is due, it is made when all outstanding claims have processed and the patient is released from care. We are sorry for your inconvenience.
Mishawaka, IN |
Very pleasant experience. Procedure was much less difficult than I had imagined. A perfect experience.
Have you seen Dr. John Mahon, MD?

See our Orthopedic Hand Surgery Specialist at Goshen Hospital

Visit Dr. Mahon

Dr. Mahon accepts 15 insurance carriers
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
    Choice POS
  • Medicare
    Medicare Advantage PFFS
    Medicare Advantage PPO
  • Meritain Health
  • Physicians Health Plan of Northern Indiana, Inc.
  • Sagamore Health Network