Dr. John Lipman, MD

Dr. John Lipman, MD

Vascular & Interventional Radiology | Male

As a passionate speaker to community groups, Dr. Lipman ensures that UFE is recognized as a minimally invasive treatment option for fibroids (no surgery involved).

Qualifications

• Board Certified in Radiology as well as Vascular and Interventional Radiology
  • Performed over 6,000 Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) procedures – the world's most experienced UFE physician
  • Author of numerous articles for academic and medical journals
  • Has delivered over 200 invited lectures focused on uterine fibroids and UFE at national and international conferences
  • Specializes in fibroid treatment – UFE is Dr. Lipman's principal area of practice

• Medical degree earned fromGeorgetown University School of Medicine
  • Internal Medicine internship at Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
  • Radiology residency at Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
  • Fellowship in Vascular & Interventional Radiology – Yale New-Haven Hospital, Yale University School of Medicine

Professional Achievements

• Fellowship from the Society of Interventional Radiology, awarded to only 10% of Society members
  • 2014 Healthcare Heroes Award – Atlanta Business Chronicle
  • 2013 Patients' Choice Award – Vitals – Georgia's Favorite Physicians
  • Atlanta Magazine's "Top Docs in Atlanta"
  • Sharecare Editorial Advisory Board – An interactive internet healthcare platform established by Dr. Mehmet Oz (The Doctor Oz Show) and Jeff Arnold (creator of WebMD)
  • Past board of directors member of the Medical Association of Atlanta (MAA), as well as the Cobb County Medical Society (CCMS)

After his training, Dr. Lipman practiced Interventional Radiology in a large private practice group in Atlanta for 14 years.  In 2005, he started his own private practice – Atlanta Interventional Institute. In 2015, he opened a state of the art 5,400 square foot outpatient medical facility, caring for patients throughout the Southeastern United States, Caribbean, and as far away as Africa and New Zealand.  While he is best known for his pioneering work in the non-surgical treatment of uterine fibroids, Dr. Lipman's practice treats a number of medical conditions including tubal infertility, migraines, and osteoporotic compression fractures of the spine.

A Physician with a Mission

A critical aspect of Dr. Lipman's mission includes educating the public about fibroids and UFE. Equally important, he helps other physicians become better informed about uterine fibroids and their treatment. As a passionate speaker to community groups, Dr. Lipman ensures that UFE is recognized as a minimally invasive treatment option for fibroids. He delivers lectures on UFE to leading medical centers, including Harvard, Vanderbilt and Stanford universities, as well as national and international medical conferences.

Volunteer Contributions

Dr. Lipman is a Volunteer Physician at Good Samaritan Health Center, a non-profit health care center for those without the means to afford traditional care. He also volunteers as a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology at Morehouse School of Medicine.

Media Coverage

Major news outlets frequently request interviews about fibroids and UFE with Dr. Lipman, including: CNN (by Wolf Blitzer), The Doctors, CNBC, the Health Network, USA Today, Jet, theWall Street Journal, Family Circle, WebMD, and Sharecare. Dr. Lipman was chosen as the National Physician Spokesperson for the Fibroid Awareness Campaign of supermodel Beverly Johnson.

Dr. Lipman's Experience

See how Dr. Lipman's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Lipman

Dr. Lipman accepts 31 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Lipman has admitting privileges.

Dr. Lipman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Lipman to family and friends
Dr. Lipman Says:

Dr. Lipman greatly appreciates the feedback and reviews provided by his patients.

He encourages any patient who is not fully satisfied to contact him or his office staff immediately so that any issues can be addressed and corrected.  Dr. Lipman provides every UFE patient with his personal mobile phone number so that they can contact him immediately with any questions or concerns.

Dr. Lipman's Performance
Atlanta, GA |
Although the technical skill of this doctor is excellent, his "bedside manor" needs a lot of help. On a scheduled follow up visit, he was agitated, condescending and impatient. I hadn't spoken 2 full sentences yet. Out of concern, I asked about his anger and if this was a bad time to visit. I received more condescension. Soon he calmed down as he likely realized that his behavior made me uncomfortable. I'm very disappointed and hope that he'll be more professional with others.
Atlanta, GA |
I was severely anemic due to heavy bleeding. A hysterectomy was reccommended but I didnt want one and my blood count low. I do not believe in blood transfusions so my options were limited. I had the UFE one year ago and now have regular periods. The staff was friendly & great. My words for Dr. Lipman is thank you, thank you , thank you for allowing me to keep my uterus! Happy days are ahead!
Atlanta, GA |
I was suffering and knew something had to be done about it. I looked into a few other options, but UFE was the best option for me. I had long heavy bleeding periods that were getting worse the older I got. UFE has made my life much better. I'm back to normal or even lighter periods. No more overnight pads all day long. Best decision I ever made.
in Atlanta, GA |
I can honestly say ever since my procedure in December 2016 I feel 10xs better than before. This has totally changed my life for the better in so many ways and on so many levels I can't stop Thanking Dr. Lipman and his staff enough. I would recommend this procedure to any and everyone I come in contact with who maybe going through life miserably due to fibroids. They have been controlling my life for years and now for the first time I feel that I have control over my life again!
in Athens, GA |
The UAE is something I should have done years ago. I have 100% improvements since the procedure was done. I would recommend Dr. Lipman to anyone. Everything went well and I was well informed by Dr. Lipman's office of what to expect before and after the procedure.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Lipman you gave me my life back. Before UFE my cycle took over my life. The pain, heavy bleeding, blood clots, anemia, changing pads frequently. I am thankful, grateful and happy to have my life back. Thank you Dr. Lipman and staff. You took good care of me and I always say you were a god sent!!!! Thank you Thank You
in Woodstock, GA |
Dr. Lipman and his staff are excellent. I would definitely recommend his practice and this procedure to anyone who is considering a UFE. I'm now free of my horrible cramps, urinary urgency and heavy bleeding thanks to Dr. Lipman.
in Alpharetta, GA |
My experience was nothing but great from beginning to end. I didn't have that much cramping and after the surgery I didn't bleed much either. I know everyone has different experiences, all I can say is my surgery was the best thing that I could've done. I feel like my old self again! Much more energy, not feeling sleepy all the time anymore, not being mean anymore, just being able to get things done, my memory is slowly but surely coming back. Thank you Dr. Lipman! His staff is great also!
in Acworth, GA |
My overall experience with Dr. Lipman & his staff has been EXCELLENT!!! I've had fibroids for years, but per my doctors it was not having any harmful impact on my body so it was ignored. However, my bleeding started getting heavy by 2013. Fast forward 2016, it got worse. I would change every hour- & that is with me having on a tampon & 2 pads. I got Anemic. My Ob/GYN recommended a Hysterectomy. So glad I didn't go for such an invasive procedure. UFE has been great. I feel great Highly recommend
in Hampton, GA |
The overall experience was great, however, I would prefer any paperwork that needed to be signed be done before the day of surgery.
in Decatur, GA |
Thank you Dr. Lipman & Staff! My Doctor discovered that I had a fibroid 10cm in size. I spoke with my Doctor and we discussed me having a Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) procedure. I was referred to Dr. Lipman for the procedure. I had my consultation with Dr. Lipman in August of 2016 and the procedure was performed in September. The procedure was painless and the recovery time was just 2 weeks. I recommend UFE to anyone who thinks/believe there are no more options but to have a hysterectomy.
in Austell, GA |
I am beyond satisfied with the results I've received under the care of Dr. Lipman. As a teacher, I was taking two changes of clothes and pads to work. It was very difficult to go about my everyday activities of teaching, coaching, and working out. However, when I had my first consultation with Dr. Lipman, he was very thorough in explaining the UFE procedure and made me feel at ease. There was some discomfort for 2-3 days, but that does not compare to what I've gained, life w/o a travel bag.
in Smyrna, GA |
At the time that I met with Dr. Lipman, fibroids ruled my life. I had to carry feminine products with me everywhere on a daily basis, it ruled how I felt, what I could and could not wear, and my overall health suffered because I did not have energy to do anything at all. After visiting with Dr. Lipman, I scheduled my surgery and my life was forever changed. I am 3 months post-op and I feel great. Thank you so much Dr. Lipman (and wonderful staff), I now have my life back.
in Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Limpan have me feeling like a new WOMAN. I would recommend him to EVERYONE. His staff is great and treated me like famiy , i give them ?????and ???? and UP
in Eustis, FL |
Dr. Lipman was very timely and helpful in solving a serious emergency health situation. He was able to provide advice and comfort to me, and gave specific information to my doctor. Thank you, Dr. Lipman, for your kind and compassionate care!
in Tifton, GA |
I am so happy that I chose UFE. Prior to Dr. Lipman, I had been told by a fertility specialist & a gynecologist that a hysterectomy was my best option for fibroid relief since I did want children. I am 3 months post procedure & have been symptom free since. No more pain, heavy bleeding, accidents, frequent urination, etc. My cycles are normal & for the last 3 months I have felt normal & free. UFE is one of the best decisions of my life. I only regret that I didn't do it sooner.
Louisville, KY |
I felt that physician was knowledgeable, but after procedure if you are still having issues, care and consideration is poor. Some of the nurses are uncaring. billing department is okay, but some charges were not discussed before procedure, and caused undue stress to patient.
in Suwanee, GA |
I'm so incredibly happy that I listened to my husband and sought a second opinion. My GYN doctor told me hysterctomy was the only option for fibroids. Well, I'm here to say it's NOT. I was only out of work for a week, and no real surgery was necessary. I went home with one tiny bandaid-no stitches. My periods used to be heavy and painful but now they are what many consider to be normal. I'm telling everyone I know to consider his UFE procedure. DONT take your GYN doctors word for it-do research!
in Decatur, Ga |
Visited him for a consult after discovering fibroids. I felt very defeated, but after my scan and detailed conversation explaining what they were and why I was having all these symptoms. I scheduled the surgery, his team was fantastic, they were professional, attentive and explained everything that was happening. Just had my follow up and no more fibroids! Symptoms are gone. Dr. Lipman is professional, knowledgeable and I appreciate his care and concern.
Have you seen Dr. John Lipman, MD?
Are you Dr. Lipman?

• Radiology residency at Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School

Professional Achievements

• 2014 Healthcare Heroes Award – Atlanta Business Chronicle
      • 2013 Patients' Choice Award – Vitals – Georgia's Favorite Physicians
      • Atlanta Magazine's "Top Docs in Atlanta"

A Physician with a Mission

Volunteer Contributions

Media Coverage

Dr. Lipman's Care Philosophy

Dr. Lipman says...

Dr. Lipman performed the first Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) procedure in Georgia in the early 1990's and has successfully completed over 6,000 UFEs since then, more than any other doctor globally.  He is widely regarded as the most experienced UFE practitioner globally.

One of the great advantages of using the UFE procedure to treat uterine fibroids is that it is a no-surgery approach.  The small incision used by Dr. Lipman to perform the procedure is covered with a band-aid, and each patient can go home at the end of the day to recover comfortably.

Dr. Lipman's practice, Atlanta Interventional Institute, operates in a free-standing building that was specifically designed to perform UFEs.  ATLII is unparalleled in its ability to provide UFEs and other procedures in a caring and comfortable environment.  Dr. Lipman has carefully selected a staff of nurses and technicians who are well-versed in the UFE procedure.

Dr. Lipman says...

Dr. Lipman is the world's most experienced practicioner of the Uterine Fibroids Embolization (UFE), having performed more than 6,000 UFEs.  He has built a facility that is specifically designed for the UFE procedure.  As a specialist in UFE, Dr. Lipman provides a level of experience that no other physician can offer.

Dr. Lipman says...

Dr. Lipman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Vascular & Interventional Radiology
      •  Board certified in Diagnostic Radiology and Interventional Radiology & Vascular Radiology

Dr. Lipman has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Lipman's Board Certifications

• Diagnostic Radiology
      • Interventional Radiology & Vascular Radiology

• Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
      • Adenomyosis
      • Chronic Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
      • Thrombosis

Yale New Haven Hospital

Completed in 1991

University of Rochester

Graduated in 1981

Dr. Lipman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Lipman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Vascular & Interventional Radiology