Dr. John Heller, MD

Dr. John Heller, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. John Heller, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Atlanta, GA. He is 60 years old and has been practicing for 34 years.

59 Executive Park NE # 2000

Atlanta, GA 30329

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia

Learn about Dr. Heller

See how frequently Dr. Heller performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Myelopathy
Back Pain
Low Back Pain

Dr. Heller's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Coccygeal Pain
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1983
  • Case West Res University Clins
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1984
  • Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1988
  • University Of California San Diego
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989

Dr. Heller has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Heller does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Heller and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Heller's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Heller to family and friends
2.9
Dr. Heller's Performance
Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Heller did my lumbar fusion and I had a bad outcome. I complained that something was not right after surgery and even months after. I was told to wait- so I waited. It's now two years and I'm still not right and suffering.. In trying to figure this out, multiple other spine surgeons (Mayo Clinic & HSS) have told me that the procedure I had was "not the best one for my condition". How could a surgeon of this caliber mislead me like this? I now have to undergo "the correct procedure" to fix it
Alpharetta, GA |
Consulted Dr Heller regarding severe back /sciatica pain. He listened intently, examined carefully, took notes and proceeded w/appropiate diagnostic tests. Then he shared test (MRI/X-ray results) in 2nd visits. He and his team (Dr.Martin and Lisa(nurse), were compassionate, professional and followed up promptly in providing care and information for my current treatment plan. My husband and I feel confident in this Teams abilities in the event surgery is required.
in Hampton, GA |
After attempting rehab on a lower back condition for a year, I went to Dr. Heller for surgical options. After reviewing my medical information, Dr. Heller offered an extremely thorough explanation of my options, likely outcomes, potential risks, and other implications so I could make an informed decision. Ultimately, Dr. Heller performed a 2-level fusion from S1 up to L4. I went from not being able to get out of bed in the morning to now being pain free. Dr. Heller has been great throughout!
Decatur, GA |
Before my uncomplicated lumbar fusion, I had consulted multiple highly regarded spine surgeons. I ended up choosing Dr. Heller. Before surgery, he was very confident he could help me. I was comforted by his clear answers to my questions & direct manner. He looks you right in the eye and responds directly without any ambivalence. That in-turn gave me confidence. Post-op, things are a mess! Mistakes were made (validated) & I am in severe pain. Just as bad, he seems not to care and is dismissive.
Marietta, GA |
I wouldn't advise anyone use Dr. Heller for anything. He was rude and degrading to me. Unless you're weight is almost perfect he won't even consider helping you. I left feeling horrible about myself and hopeless about my pain. There's no explaining or participating in your own healthcare. I experience discrimination based upon my weight here and judged. He actually doubted I was having the pain I said I was and implied I was lying about the amount of pain.
in Panama City Beach, FL |
We saw Dr. Heller in his office, with a very caring staff. Very efficient. saw us in the pre-op before surgery, called my wife right after surgery to update her on how I did, plus saw me in post-op. He had miracle hands, taking care of me when two other doctors could not.
Lilburn, GA |
At first, Dr Heller seemed approachable. When the surgery left me with nerve damage on the uninvolved side, he became verbally inappropriate, negative and defensive. A second surgery had to be performed. When it didn't help, he became dismissive, as if it was all my fault. I have been left permanently damaged and in chronic pain. I would not recommend this Surgeon to anyone.
in Atlanta, GA |
I am highly satisfied with Dr. Heller's ability to diagnose, chart what needs to be done, and achieve what he determined to do. Thankful for my outcome.
Atlanta, GA |
I had spine surgery with Dr. Heller. Unfortunately, there was an error in judgment on his behalf as to the kind of surgery I needed to fix my condition. I knew a mistake was made from the moment I woke up from surgery. As a consequence of this error in judgment I never healed correctly which has led me to endure being in pain for over a year and having to have two revision surgeries to correct the mess he made. He is dismissive and arrogant. I deeply regret trusting him with my health.
in Lilburn, GA |
He prepared me quite well for what to expect from the surgery, which was totally successful. However I had major problems with the effects of the anesthetic.
in Columbia, SC |
Highly pleased.
Atlanta, GA |
I believe Dr Heller has good surgical skills but he has no bedside manner. At the office he is condescending, and dismissive. When confronted with his attitude he did seem to stop and listen. I was to start P.T. they could not get through the office communication to get the order and I did not receive a return call, after several attempts I skipped P.T The only saving grace is his nurse Lisa. Once I found her and explained the difficulties she responded and very few calls were needed since
in GA |
Worst experience ever! As result of our time with Dr. Heller, my husband had to endure 3 back surgeries in 65 days. After the 2nd failed surgery, he told us that there was nothing more he could do. My husband was confined to the bed with the most excruciating nerve pain ever! We asked for a neurosurgical consult, & he replied that it wouldn't help. Thank the Lord that we didn't listen to Dr. Heller; 5 days later a neurosurgeon performed an 8 hour procedure that saved my husband's left leg & foot
in Hawkinsville, GA |
I do not feel that you could possibly have a better experience than I had with Dr. Heller and Emory if you have spine problems. From diagnosis to surgery everything was as good as possible from my standpoint.
in Jasper, GA |
I have been totally satisfied with Dr Heller and the staff that have attended to me both prior to and post- surgery.
in Duluth, GA |
I had disk replacement surgery in my neck. I researched my options extensively and found that Dr. Heller is one of the best in the world at disk replacement. My experience was exceptional. My recovery was very minimal and I have full range of neck motion. The surgery is incredibly detailed and I am thankful I was able to get access to Dr. Heller. I did have to wait to see him as his schedule is very booked. But it was worth the wait.
in Grovetown, GA |
After 2 failed back surgeries in Augusta, Dr. Heller literally gave me my life back. He and an entire medical team performed 23 hours of back surgery and 4 months later I am almost pain free. My recovery has been nothing less than miraculous and it is due to the superior surgical team of Dr. Heller and his associates. His PA was available to me at all hours; his nurse is amazing and responsive and his secretary the same. Every single person in that organization is fantastic!
Atlanta, GA |
This facility treats its patients like a number. Very poor communication, follow-up and administration. I was scheduled to have a disc replacement to my C5/C6 vertebrae and Dr Heller had convinced me the best option was to go with the Bryan Disc instead of fusion. Long story short, after going through all of my pre-operation procedures, I had a basic question and called the office the day before my scheduled surgery date. While asking a question about the Bryan Disc, the assistant said You're
Have you seen Dr. John Heller, MD?
Are you Dr. Heller?