Dr. John Hamilton, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 56

Telehealth services available

New Patient

Current Patient

Dr. John Hamilton, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Fairfax, VA and has over 27 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Meharry Medical College medical school in 1994. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Inova Mount Vernon Hospital and Inova Alexandria Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Hamilton to book an appointment.

New Patient?
(703) 278-2091
Inova Medical Group Neurology II8081 Innovation Park Dr Ste 900 Fairfax, VA 22031
3580 Joseph Siewick Dr Ste 206 Fairfax, VA 22033
Inova Orthopedics - Gainesville7051 Heathcote Village Way Ste 230 Gainesville, VA 20155
44055 Riverside Pkwy Ste 226 Leesburg, VA 20176

Hospital Highlight

Affiliated with Inova Fairfax Hospital Falls Church, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Hamilton's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Hamilton

4.0

Dr. Hamilton
My first visit was a joke. Most of the time was with his staff. When he came in he gave the impression of a middle age burnout. His explanation of my spine MRI was vague at best. The lack of concern and professionalism was disturbing.
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Michael – Jul 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
He operated on my 78-year father. Two back-to-back surgeries were planned for some reason. My father describes in his journal an appointment with Dr. Hamilton that left him humiliated. For surgery #2, left Dad in the ICU with no food/water for 15 hrs b/c wouldn’t set a time certain and took him up at 1 a.m. like his schedule was a cattle call. Then decided Dad was too weak to operate. Dad got aspiration pneumonia and Dr H minimized his illness to family (the pneumonia was treated by a different doctor). The ICU doc was clear my father would never regain lost higher brain function or recover. We withdrew life support and he died less than 2 hours later. Hamilton called my sister the day Dad died to YELL at her, saying he could have had a tracheotomy, as if that were even the point. Heartless, unclear, and made my father suffer in his last days. The surgery was very risky and Dad knew it, but Hamilton acted like my father was a spine with a human being only incidentally attached.
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Oct 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
I have contemplated writing this review because I do not know where to start, so I'll begin with saying how disappointed I am. My disappointment comes from the lengthy wait for appointments (phone). This is the second phone consult I have had and the wait was more than an hour late. The first one I had Dr. Hamilton was over an hour late. The second one it was almost 2 hours late, which I did not take because I had to work. I am not sure if he's aware of this situation but it is very unprofessional, rude and inconsiderate of other's time. I know this is a long review but I am hoping to get an explanation or at least an acknowledgement that there is a problem. Lastly, I am not at all comfortable seeking his services because of this dilemma. So therefore I will seek another doctor, sadly. (email cut short because of allowed characters)
Jackie Clayton – May 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
I first met Dr Hamilton in the fall of 2018. I was losing feeling in my left arm and a MRI showed is had degenerative discs in my neck. I interviewed 3 doctors & chose Dr Hamilton. While he is a miracle working, IMHO, he does not have the attitude that goes along with it. I personally think he is pretty shy and very caring. No sales pitch, no do this now or you could be paralyzed like the other doctors do. Was it urgent, yes. Was it my decision, yes. After living on pain meds for months, I woke up the day after a C 3-5 fusion with almost no pain! The second time was Dec of 2019. My husband & I fracture our back on vacation. We were air lifted to the hospital where he came in on a Saturday to see us. Both had to have 2 surgeries and he was there everyday at the hospital to make sure we were ok. We are two months out of a very traumatic surgery and amazed that any pain we have is from the brace we have to wear not the surgery! There is nobody else I will trust to be my neurosurgeon
Robyn Burdett – Apr 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
He saved my life. Blunt and direct, just the way I like it. No bs. The best there is, I feel privileged to have had him as my surgeon.
Jbetson – Feb 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
When I met Dr. Hamilton I was in excruciating pain and diagnosed with foot drop. Dr. Hamilton ordered the appropriate tests to diagnose and then treat. He listens to his patients and allows solutions in their timing. After two surgeries , both that went excellent, I am progressing in recovery. I am so thankful for Dr. Hamilton's kindness, patience, and skill as a surgeon. He truly is patient oriented and an excellent neurosurgeon.
Tammie Wittmann in Winchester, VA – Nov 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Dr. Hamilton is a surgeon of truly superior skill. He has a great manner and answers all questions with clear understandable language that my husband and I can understand. All of his staff is also top notch with special recognition for Joy. A great team of medical and administrative professionals. They are very nice people too.
JoAnn in Stafford, VA – Oct 25, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
excellent bedside manner and excellent dealing with stressed family members
stacy in fairfax, VA – Jul 11, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Dr. John F. Hamilton performed a C5-C7 cervical spine fusion on me in early May, 2018. He came highly recommended. He was exceptionally skilled, attentive, and professional in his surgery prep, execution, and post-op care. Dr. Hamilton has gained a reputation in greater Washington DC /INOVA Health for achieving the best surgical outcomes. He proved that again in my case. I could not be more satisfied. Given what is at stake in such a surgery, I recommend him highly. Thank you Dr. Hamilton!
William Amos – Jun 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Dr Hamilton is a man of few words, but I didn't come to him for conversation. He explained what needed to be done and how he would do it. I had been suffering from low back and right leg pain for almost a year. Surgery was my only option. Dr Hamilton did his job and did it well. I knew when I woke up there was a big difference and from that day on I was able to sleep and function normally during the day with NO pain. I am so grateful to him for that.
Diane in Burke, Va – Jan 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
I've been a satisfied patient of Dr. Hamilton since Nov, 2010 thru the present beginning carpal tunnel surgery thru present, July, 2017, with thorough, precise reviews, assessments and guidance regarding two (2) back/spine fusions, by others, and sensible, conservative treatments going forward. Dr. Hamilton always sees me himself, even after seen by his Medical Professionals/Assistants and spends no rushed time listening to and answering my concerns honestly and directly. RKS/Oak Hill, VA.
Randy K. Sayles in Oak Hill, VA – Jul 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
I was unable to walk without a cane or walker for over 18 months. Many doctors in the Richmond area told me there was nothing they could do for me. I contacted Dr. Hamilton, he reviewed my case history, x-rays, MRI's and past procedures and felt he could help me. Within two weeks surgery was scheduled and within hours of the surgery I could walk without assistance. Because of Dr. Hamilton's experience, knowledge and expertise, he exceeded my expectations, I can never thank him enough.
Sheri Savelli in Richmond, VA – Jul 15, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Always upfront and direct with diagnosis, follow up plans and long term expectations. He has always taken the time to make me feel at ease explaining pros and cons of my treatment, I have met a few of his patients and we agree he has gifted set of hands when it comes to his specialty of neurosurgery, he removed a tumor from one of my vertebrae and allowed me to walk. very satisfied with his services. will be thankful for the rest of my life. Many blessings.
elvia zaragoza in Annandale, VA – Apr 15, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
I would recommend Dr. Hamilton to friends and family.
  • Long wait times
Apr 06, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Excellent Surgeon! He really listened to my concerns! First time I am pain free since 2012!
Woodbridge, VA – Apr 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Dr. Hamilton did a spinal fusion March 2016. The surgery was very successful. I returned to work 6 weeks after. I went to physical therapy as recommended by Dr. Hamilton and 1 year later I am back doing things I did prior to hurting my back. I travel for my job internationally and I am back to a full schedule. I highly recommend Dr Hamilton.
B. Conley in Springfield VA – Mar 22, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Dr Hamilton and his staff are AMAZING! First, Dr H. is extremely professional, knowledgeable, kind hearted, capable of really connecting with his patients, and a masterful surgeon. He truly flew in with a cape and saved my life! All of my follow ups in his office have shown me that hi is part of the best team I have ever seen. From reception to check out, they are outstanding. D. Anderson.
Debra in Lorton, VA – Mar 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
Dr. Hamilton is fantastic. He operated on my cervical spine 1.5 years ago. Another surgeon was recommended to me but was unavailable for a month-- I was in extreme pain-- horrible-- and found Dr. Hamilton who was able to see me within a week. Thank goodness I found him-- he has a PhD AND and MD--genius- who does that? He is a true professional -- and has a wonderful manner about him-- he is never in a rush, listens, and cares deeply. His staff is great too. Scar looks great and I am pain free!
TC in Springfield, VA – Mar 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
I saw Dr. Hamilton as a new patient. Before I saw him I couldn't even walk. I was in severe pain. I had so many questions regarding the surgery, but he he took his time to answer all of my questions. The day after I got out of the hospital I could walk. I wouldn't recommend no other Neurosurgeon! The BEST doctor.
Alexandria, Virginia – Mar 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?
I was so afraid to have neck surgery, I went to Dr. Hamilton for a second opinion. After talking to him about the recommended surgery I felt a ease. Dr. Hamilton, his nurse and scheduler were so helpful. Excellent service.
  • Long wait times
Culpeper Va – Feb 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Hamilton, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Hamilton?

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Check Dr. Hamilton's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Hamilton's Top Procedures and Conditions

Chiari Malformation Type 1

Dr. Hamilton treats Chiari Malformation Type 1 more than 91% of his peers

Dr. Hamilton treats this condition more than 91% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
high

Dr. Hamilton treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 90% of his peers

Dr. Hamilton treats this condition more than 90% of his peers

Hide other areas of care

Dr. Hamilton's conditions and procedures:

• Aneurysm
  • Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Brain
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Repair
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Dr. Hamilton accepts

(703) 278-2091

Dr. Hamilton accepts the following insurance:

Select
Blue Preferred PPO
CareFirst Maryland POS
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

John F. Hamilton, MD, PhD, serves as the Medical Director of the Inova Peripheral Nerve Program, Inova Health System, Co-Medical Director of the Inova...Read more

• Neurosurgery