Dr. John Guzzo, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Lakeshore Bone and Joint Institute 12800 Mississippi Pkwy Ste A201 Crown Point, IN 46307 Get Directions
Dr. John Guzzo, MD
I was born and spent the early part of my life in Pittsburgh, PA. Like the Midwest, it is a region characterized by its people – honest, hardworking, kind, reliable. People with integrity. It is my hope that I can be described in the same way, both in my personal life and in the way I practice medicine. I knew from a young age that a career in medicine was what I wanted. I attended a small liberal arts college in Western PA, Washington & Jefferson College, and after graduating, immediately started at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. It was there that I discovered my love of Orthopaedic surgery. While in medical school, I was commissioned as an officer to the US Army and upon completion I began my residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Fort Lewis, WA just outside of Seattle. At a military medical center, there is a vast array of patients – from the youngest child of an enlisted soldier, to a retired general and everything in between. The primary population, however, is active duty soldiers. The injuries and issues that go along with the rigors of being a soldier are quite similar to those experienced by athletes. Treating these patients helped me to further my practice and specialize in Sports Medicine. When my residency was complete, I moved to Fort Stewart, GA near Savannah. I was fortunate enough to work alongside Dr. Ryan Plank for the four years that we were both stationed there. During my time there, I was deployed to Afghanistan. That experience taught me a lot about myself as a surgeon and as a person. After my time in the Army, I moved back to practice in the Pittsburgh area. A few years later, an opportunity presented itself for me to once again work with my old Army colleague, and join the well-respected practice -- Lakeshore Bone & Joint Institute. These experiences have helped me to develop my philosophy of how I like to practice medicine: I believe in treating the patient as a whole. You can't just treat an X-ray finding or a lab result. You have to listen to the patient, their symptoms, and learn about their situation. This information, along with all of the other pieces of the medical puzzle, leads to the optimal treatment for that patient. Even the same diagnosis may not warrant the same treatment for two different patients. Every person and their condition are unique. The practice of medicine should be personalized for patients to get the best possible care. I am blessed to have four beautiful children and the support of my loving wife.

Dr. Guzzo's Care Philosophy

I believe in treating the patient as a whole. You can't just treat an X-ray finding or a lab result. You have to listen to the patient, their symptoms, and learn about their situation. This information along with all of the other pieces of the medical puzzle leads to the optimal treatment for that patient. Even the same diagnosis may not warrant the same treatment for two different patients. Every person and their condition are unique. The practice of medicine should be personalized for patients to get the best possible care.

Dr. Guzzo's Experience

See how Dr. Guzzo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Guzzo

Dr. Guzzo accepts 14 insurance carriers

Dr. Guzzo is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Guzzo has admitting privileges.

Dr. Guzzo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Guzzo to family and friends
Dr. Guzzo's Performance
Hoffman Estates, IL |
He was excellent with my 9 year old daughter. He took the time to make sure she understood what he was doing and what she needed to do to heal. He also took the time to speak to my other children that I had with me in the room. No question, we will come back to him again when the situation presents itself. Also, all the staff were great. We waited less than 10 min in the waiting room and when my daughter had to go back for X-rays, the tech was super nice.
St John, IN |
He is honestly one of the kindest physicians I have ever met. He took the time to explain what was wrong with me and fixed my problem. I wish I would have decided to see him sooner.I would recommend him to anyone and will definitely continue to see him for all my issues in the future.
St John, Indiana |
He actually spent time listening to my issues and gave me one of the most thorough exams I have ever had. Everything about my visit was excellent. Best of all, I'm not in pain anymore. I'm so glad I found Dr Guzzo. He is definitely one of the best doctors I have ever seen.
Valparaiso, IN |
He is the best doctor I have ever had.
Lake Station, IN |
I would not go to this Dr!! After being told & treated (& being charged) for hip bursitis by Dr. Guzzo, he decided that it wasn't bursitis after all because if it was he said it would've been healed. When I asked him if bursitis if treatable then why do they have a surgery to remove the bursa? He refused to answer my question. I then asked for a referral to a pain management which he told me he would give me. Then he decided he would not give me a referral. He was arrogant & condescending.
in Saint John |
Dr. Guzzo is the BEST doctor I have ever come across.
in Valparaiso, IN |
I want to educate his staff. When someone calls for an appointment and tells you they were told to see a doctor in one or two days, GET THEM IN, and if you can't, tell them to seek another doctor. My problem could of been taken care of easily in an office visit, but now I need surgery because you couldn't get me in for 4 days. You didn't seemed worried so I didn't. I didn't understand the extent of my injury, so when I repeated what the hospital said you should of responded differently
in Valparaiso, IN |
From the start, I knew I was in good hands. I found it very easy to trust him and very thankful he was the one that performed my lower leg reconstruction lol he did an amazing job. :)
in Saint John, IN |
I could not have asked for any better care!
Have you seen Dr. John Guzzo, MD?
Are you Dr. Guzzo?

Compare Dr. Guzzo

Dr. Guzzo says...

I was born and spent the early part of my life in Pittsburgh, PA.  Like the Midwest, it is a region characterized by its people – honest, hardworking, kind, reliable.  People with integrity.  It is my hope that I can be described in the same way, both in my personal life and in the way I practice medicine.  I knew from a young age that a career in medicine was what I wanted.  I attended a small liberal arts college in Western PA, Washington & Jefferson College, and after graduating, immediately started at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.  It was there that I discovered my love of Orthopaedic surgery.   While in medical school, I was commissioned as an officer to the US Army and upon completion I began my residency at Madigan Army Medical Center in Fort Lewis, WA just outside of Seattle.  At a military medical center, there is a vast array of patients – from the youngest child of an enlisted soldier, to a retired general and everything in between.  The primary population, however, is active duty soldiers.  The injuries and issues that go along with the rigors of being a soldier are quite similar to those experienced by athletes.  Treating these patients helped me to further my practice and specialize in Sports Medicine.  When my residency was complete, I moved to Fort Stewart, GA near Savannah.  I was fortunate enough to work alongside Dr. Ryan Plank for the four years that we were both stationed there.  During my time there, I was deployed to Afghanistan.  That experience taught me a lot about myself as a surgeon and as a person. After my time in the Army, I moved back to practice in the Pittsburgh area.  A few years later, an opportunity presented itself for me to once again work with my old Army colleague, and join the well-respected practice -- Lakeshore Bone & Joint Institute.  These experiences have helped me to develop my philosophy of how I like to practice medicine: I believe in treating the patient as a whole. You can't just treat an X-ray finding or a lab result. You have to listen to the patient, their symptoms, and learn about their situation. This information, along with all of the other pieces of the medical puzzle, leads to the optimal treatment for that patient. Even the same diagnosis may not warrant the same treatment for two different patients. Every person and their condition are unique. The practice of medicine should be personalized for patients to get the best possible care. I am blessed to have four beautiful children and the support of my loving wife.

Dr. Guzzo's Care Philosophy

Dr. Guzzo says...

Board Certified in Sports Medicine and General Orthopaedics

Dr. Guzzo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Indiana not available

Dr. Guzzo has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Indiana.

Why It Matters: Dr. Guzzo's Board Certifications

• Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Extra-Articular Fracture
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Injuries
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Gout
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Stress Fracture
  • Stress Fracture of Foot
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

Graduated in 1998

• Other Education
    Board Certified In Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

Completed in 2011

Dr. Guzzo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Guzzo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sports Medicine

• Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Foot and Ankle Ligament and Tendon Repair
  • Foot and Ankle Reconstruction
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Neuroplasty
  • Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) of Hip Fracture
  • Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) of Metatarsal Fracture
  • Partial Knee Replacement
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Reconstructive Ankle Surgery