Dr. John Essepian III, MD

Dr. John Essepian III, MD

Ophthalmology  |
Dr. John Essepian III, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Fairfax, VA. He is 55 years old and has been practicing for 29 years.

3031 Javier Rd Ste 300

Fairfax, VA 22031

• CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Essepian III

See how frequently Dr. Essepian III performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
Herpetic Keratitis
Corneal Ulcer

Dr. Essepian III's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Ophthalmology

• Corneal Diseases
  • Corneal Erosion
  • Corneal Ulcer
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen

• Eyelid Surgery
  • Foreign Body Removal from Eye
  • Glaucoma Surgery
  • Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• Georgetown University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1988
  • Fairfax Family Practice
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1990
  • Georgetown University The Center For Sight
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1993
  • The Wilmer Institute Johns Hopkins University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1994

Dr. Essepian III has no media or publications listed.

• German

Dr. Essepian III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Essepian III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Essepian III's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Essepian III to family and friends
3.9
Dr. Essepian III's Performance
Fairfax, VA |
Difficult to provide a review for this doctor. Dr. Essepian. has earned a stellar reputation by producing great results for his patients, including me.. However, his tendency toward narcissism gets in the way of him being an excellent surgeon. The blatant refusal to listen to patient concerns, provide basic answers to questions and explain surgical procedures, is unacceptable and unfortunate. Dr. Essepian shows the same dismissive disrespect to his staff which is cringe-worthy to witness.
in Leesburg, VA |
Excellent - he did what others could not!!!
in Fairfax Station, VA |
I have had my initial appointment for cataract surgery and was very pleased with Dr. Essepian. He took the time to explain to me what needed to be done. I was referred to him by my retina specialist. I have had lasik surgery so I wanted someone who had that experience as well. Dr. Essepian fits the bill. I had read some reviews that were not pleased with his personality. That did not deter me as I was interested in his skill. But, I found him to be a most pleasant doctor...great personality.
in Herndon, VA |
0 chance. My surgery was cancelled by them in December. in January I called them due to a severe cold so we should place the surgery in April at the earliest. Unfortunately I caught cold in April as well. I called the office, on the Friday before the surgery date on Monday. I was coughing so terribly that I had to repeat everything I said multiple times between coughs. On Monday I called, with terrible coughs, again. Their response: Not allow me to schedule a new date, and charge $300 punishment
in Gainesville, VA |
Prior cataract surgery in 1/2013 by well known local ophthalmologist problematic from the start. Periodic clouding over w/reduced vision became the norm until total loss of vision occurred several times. Absolutely NO help from ophthalmologist. Dr. Essepian immediately told me what was going on (lens moving, rubbing against iris w/resultant inflammation). He performed IOL Exchange/Anterior Vitrectomy surgery in 12/2016 and eye has almost completely recovered. Serious surgery expertly done!
in Fairfax, Va |
He is arrogant and rude but he also is very good and has integrity. In this area, few doctors will tell you that you don't need a procedure. Dr Essepian will. He doesn't charge cosmetic (vanity) surgery prices for real medical surgeries--another rarity around here. He is a surgeon not a brand and not focused on making as much money as he can.
in Alexandria, VA |
He is dismissive and rude. I was found not worthy to be his patient, he refused to help me and left the room.
in Alexandria, VA |
You have to be good enough to be his patient. He is dismissive and rude. After telling me I don't need the surgery so he won't do it, he left the room.
Vienna, VA |
Dr. Essepian performed cataract surgery (with laser immediately prior). Because my previous cataract surgery with another opthamologist was problematic, I asked my retinologist for a recommendation. His response was immediate--John Essepian. Although somewhat reserved, he answered all my questions and gave me the time to discuss my previous experience. He explained exactly what to expect and during the surgery, talked to me "every step of the way". I couldn't be more pleased!
in Alexandria, VA |
Overall experience was very positive. Dr. Essepian performed two cataract surgeries. With one surgery, there was a complication. Dr. Essepian and his staff were extremely responsive. I was seen on a Sunday for emergency treatment. I experienced Dr. Essepian as highly professional and competent. While he is not warm and fuzzy, he is reassuring empathic, highly knowledgeable, and very competent. The practice is well organized and efficient. I am very pleased with my care.
Annandale, Virginia |
Although highly recommended, IMO, the jury is still out on his skill performance. However, after 5 visits, his demeanor is still curt, aloof, borders on rude, not forthcoming in explaining procedures, does not encourage questioning, in fact it's like pulling teeth to get any meaningful information from him. I've been waiting to give him the benefit of the doubt, but rapport has gotten worse, rather than better. I wish it were different!
Manassas, VA |
I felt he was one of the very best doctors for my surgery and I was not disappointed. He completed both my cataract surgeries and I experienced absolutely no pain and had the very best care.
in Potomac, MD |
I recommended Dr. Essepian as soon as I returned home from my first appt! He's so thorough, patient, and diagnosed two eye specific concerns that no other ophthalmologist has ever identified before! I'm very impressed and satisfied!
in Shippensburg, PA |
The Lasik procedure performed was satisfactory and I had no real issues. However a letter of relocation was sent to me by the Doctor explaining his support for enhancements was included in my original surgical fee has proven to be worthless. He no longer supports enhancements as the letter states he would. Surgical skills good but integrity of promises completely false. When I called to inquire about the enhancement request the office staff promised to get back to me and never did. GH
Have you seen Dr. John Essepian III, MD?
Are you Dr. Essepian III?

Visit Dr. Essepian III