Dr. John Dykstra, DO

Dr. John Dykstra, DO

Family Medicine  ·

Dr. John Dykstra, DO is a family medicine specialist in Hudsonville, MI and has been practicing for 21 years. He specializes in family medicine and osteopathic manipulative therapy.Read his story

Metro Health Hudsonville

• Health Net Federal Services
  • Meridian Health Plan
  • Molina Healthcare
  • Priority Health
  • Priority Health Choice, Inc.
  • Zurich

Learn about Dr. Dykstra

Dr. Dykstra's Experience

Dr. Dykstra's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Family Medicine

Dr. Dykstra's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Dykstra "I wanted to go into medicine to help people, and I choose family practice to help me reach this goal. Developing personal, long-lasting relationships with my patients has always been very important to me. When I was interviewing for medical school, I was asked what my ideal practice would be. I told the interviewer that I would like to see patients I knew so well that I did not even need to use a chart. The interviewer laughed at me and said that would never happen. After medical school I returned to my hometown and am now a family practice physician at Metro Health Hudsonville, where I know many of my patients so well I do not need a chart."

This content was provided by Dr. Dykstra "The way I practice family medicine is often referred to as “cradle to grave.” That means I do obstetrics before the baby is born, deliver the baby and provide newborn care; give the child pediatric care as they grow up; and when that child becomes an adult I provide care for the rest of his or her life. In this way, I have been able to care for multiple generations of the same family. Seeing families grow and growing with them as I provide their care gives me great fulfillment.

Years ago, I was caring for a patient in labor and waiting to deliver the baby. Meanwhile, at the same time in the same hospital, I was caring for an elderly person who was enrolled in hospice. During that day I had time to reflect on my practice and my life. I felt that that day summarized the way I wanted to practice medicine and live out my career – I was able to walk two different life journeys with two different families while caring for both of them. That is why I do what I do. "

• Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy

Dr. Dykstra does not have any board certifications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

• Chicago College Of Osteopathic Medicine Of Midwestern University, Midwestern University
    Medical School | Graduated 1997

Dr. Dykstra has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Dykstra has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Dykstra does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dykstra and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Dykstra's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dykstra to family and friends

Dr. Dykstra's Performance

Dr. Dykstra Says:

I appreciate and welcome all positive and constructive feedback. Your comments will help me continue to provide the best care for my patients.

Amazing doctor. He sees my kids and I. He never hesitates to order tests if there is even a hint of concern. He is hilarious and takes the time to listen and give feedback. He is very knowledgeable and professional. He has always taken my family’s genetic blood clotting disorder seriously and has...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Be careful. He's as congenial and funny as can be. We went to Dr. Dykstra for about 15 years and about 4 years ago I had symptom after symptom that all fell under the umbrella of a serious autoimmune disease called Systemic Sclerosis. He never did take us seriously enough and we did end up talking...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
He has been my doctor for 7 years. He treats our whole family from infant to adult. He treats us like people and not just another patient. He listens well and is not pushy or rude. He is kind and our kids like him too.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
Every time I see Dr Dykstra I feel like he knows means my family. He is down to earth and trusts my instincts. It feels good to be treated like a person and not just a group of numbers.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon optionthumbs down icon option
A very friendly, professional doctor. He has always answered my questions, describes my conditions and treatments to me, and his treatments are effective - I can usually tell a difference immediately.
Are you Dr. Dykstra?