Dr. John T. Dykstra, DO

Dr. John T. Dykstra, DO

Family Medicine | Male | 46 years old

I wanted to go into medicine to help people, and I choose family practice to help me reach this goal. Developing personal, long-lasting relationships with my patients has always been very important to me. When I was interviewing for medical school, I was asked what my ideal practice would be. I told the interviewer that I would like to see patients I knew so well that I did not even need to use a chart. The interviewer laughed at me and said that would never happen. After medical school I returned to my hometown and am now a family practice physician at Metro Health Hudsonville, where I know many of my patients so well I do not need a chart.Read more

Metro Health Hudsonville
3912 32nd Ave
Hudsonville, MI 49426 Get Directions

The way I practice family medicine is often referred to as “cradle to grave.” That means I do obstetrics before the baby is born, deliver the baby and provide newborn care; give the child pediatric care as they grow up; and when that child becomes an adult I provide care for the rest of his or her life. In this way, I have been able to care for multiple generations of the same family. Seeing families grow and growing with them as I provide their care gives me great fulfillment. Years ago, I was caring for a patient in labor and waiting to deliver the baby. Meanwhile, at the same time in the same hospital, I was caring for an elderly person who was enrolled in hospice. During that day I had time to reflect on my practice and my life. I felt that that day summarized the way I wanted to practice medicine and live out my career – I was able to walk two different life journeys with two different families while caring for both of them. That is why I do what I do.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Dykstra's Experience

See how Dr. Dykstra's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Dykstra

Dr. Dykstra accepts 13 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Dykstra has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Dykstra
Dr. Dykstra's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (19)
Dr. Dykstra Says:

I appreciate and welcome all positive and constructive feedback. Your comments will help me continue to provide the best care for my patients.

in Zeeland, MI |
A very friendly, professional doctor. He has always answered my questions, describes my conditions and treatments to me, and his treatments are effective - I can usually tell a difference immediately.
I have been seeing him for 15 years. He delivered all my kids. He is amazing!
Have you seen Dr. John T. Dykstra, DO?
Are you Dr. Dykstra?

Compare Dr. Dykstra

More Family Practitioners like Dr. Dykstra at Metro Health

Dr. Dykstra's Care Philosophy

Dr. Dykstra says...

I enjoy caring for patients of all ages – from infant through adult. I look forward to the opportunity to care for you and your family.

Dr. Dykstra says...

Dr. Dykstra's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Family Medicine
  •  Board certified in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
  •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Dr. Dykstra has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Why It Matters: Dr. Dykstra's Board Certifications

• Infectious Diseases
  • Injuries
  • Menopause
  • Pneumonia
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)

Chicago College Of Osteopathic Medicine Of Midwestern University, Midwestern University

Graduated in 1997

Dr. Dykstra does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dykstra and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy