Dr. John Donovan, MD

Dr. John Donovan, MD

Ophthalmology  |

Dr. John Donovan, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Jacksonville, FL. He is 63 years old and has been practicing for 39 years. Read his story

Clay Eye Physicians and Surgeons

2 Shircliff Way Ste 120

Jacksonville, FL 32204

• CHAMPVA
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • PHCS
  • Principal Financial Group

Learn about Dr. Donovan

See how frequently Dr. Donovan performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Foreign Body Removal from Eye
Removal of Foreign Body from External Eye
Eyelid Surgery

Dr. Donovan's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Donovan's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Donovan "John P. Donovan, MD joined Clay Eye in 1985, and was the third Navy Flight Surgeon to join the group. His specialties include laser cataract surgery, LASIK surgery and oculoplastic surgery. Education: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (cum laude) Albany Medical College Naval Regional Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA (internship) U.S. Navy Aerospace Medical Institute (Flight Surgeon) University of Florida (Ophthalmology Residency) Academic Appointments: Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, University of Florida Jacksonville Certifications: Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology Diplomat, American Board of Ophthalmology American Board of Eye Surgery, Certified Cataract Surgery Professional Organizations: Florida Society of Ophthalmology American Academy of Ophthalmology Christian Ophthalmology Society American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery American College of Eye Surgeons Florida Medical Association American Medical Association Clay County Medical Society – Past President Duval County Society of Ophthalmology – Past President Military Service: Captain, Medical Corps, US Navy Naval Flight Surgeon Active Duty 1978-1982 Carrier Air Wing 8 — USS NIMITZ CVN-68 Selected Reservist 1982-2014 Carrier Air Wing Reserve 20 — NAS Cecil Field VR-58 — NAS Jacksonville Awards: Physicians’ Recognition Award of AMA Honors: Eagle Scout National Merit Scholar New York State Regents Scholarship Rensselaer Alumni Club Scholarship Outstanding Student Research Paper, Albany Medical College American Cancer Society Fellowship for Radiation Oncology Studies in Edinburgh Scotland Paul Harris Fellow – Rotary International "

This content was provided by Dr. Donovan "Clay Eye Physicians & Surgeons is dedicated to Medical Excellence, Quality Care, Professional and Personalized Service."

• Ophthalmology

• Diabetes-Like Retinal Edema
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Dilatation
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration

• Peripheral Iridotomy
  • Phacoemulsification
  • Photo Therapeutic Keratectomy
  • Photocoagulation
  • Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK)
  • Pterygium Surgery
  • Sutureless Cataract Surgery
  • Tear Drainage Surgery
  • Tear Duct Surgery
  • Ultrasound
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

• Naval Regional Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1979
  • University Of Florida
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985

Dr. Donovan has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Donovan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Donovan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Donovan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Donovan to family and friends
Dr. Donovan's Performance
in jacksonville, fl |
My husband and I have both utilized his services and been very pleased with our results. He is #1 in our book. Very considerate and caring. He was highly recommended to us and we would do the same for others.
in orange park, fl |
Dr. Donovan takes time for a thorough eye exam and reviews information from earlier visits. Very easy to talk with.
in Middleburg |
I just love Dr. Donovan and his staff. He is very through and he he gentle and very kind and professional. I really love the fact the the Doctors and Staff are Christians. You don't find this in very many practices today. If you need an Eye Doctor Clay Eye is the BEST!!!!!!
in jacksonville, fl |
I would recommend Dr Donovan and their office. He is the only Dr. I know of who prays with his patients before surgery! This meant so much to me. He is a very caring Dr.!
orange park, fl |
Dr. Donovan was very nice, but feel his office was like going through a cattle prob. (Multiple people getting piled through as fast as they can get them in!!). When I signed in there was 4 people including myself scheduled for Dr. Donovan all for a 10:15 app't. The medical assistance just sent you from one room to another. I prob. only spent about 10 min. with Dr. Was there over a hour. Dr. dictated to assist which she got wrong and she was typing 10 min. after Dr. left room.
jacksonville, fl |
Dr. Donovan did cataract surgeries. He was very caring and took his time.
middleburg, fl |
It was wonderful
in jacksonville, fl |
Clay Eye's Doctors and entire staff are knowledgeable, caring, efficient professionals. I feel strongly that Dr. Donavon stopped the Shingles virus before it could attack my eye. The day my MD diagnosed me with Shingles on my face, forehead and scalp I was sent directly to Dr. Donavon for a shot that provided immediate relief. Wonderful! Dr. Donavon monitored my condition until my eye was out of danger. He also performed cataract surgery on both my eyes with great success. These folks are
in Middleburg, Fl |
Very pleased, satisfying
in Orange Park , FL |
Dr. Donovan figured out what was wrong with my eye and fixed it really fast. He is very nice!
in orange park, fl |
Doc has the patience and best interest of the patient in his strategy to treat your eye problem. In my case glaucoma (33 years) and as of late double cataracts in both eyes. He explains every step, ask if I understand and wants to know my concerns and questions. Also reviews any options/alternatives in solving my unique problem(s).
in Green Cove Springs |
Caring, effective efficient. Excellent doctor.
in orange park, fl |
Dr. Donovan explained my procedure for my cataract surgery very well. As I was brought back to the OR room he prayed for me and as a Christian I was so appreciative of that. The procedure went just as he said. He did my one eye than 2 weeks later the other. I see better now than ever. I highly recommend Dr. Donovan. He is caring and his staff in the OP office and Mandarin were excellent.
in orange park, fl |
Very attentive, efficient and accurate. Caring and informative. Would not hesitate to have him perform surgery again if needed.
in jacksonville, fl |
He and the staff were polite, informative, efficient; very professional and put me at ease explaining every procedure they preformed.
in jacksonville, fl |
Dr. Donovan performed my cataract surgery this year. I am very happy with the results. Due to the pre-op and post-op teaching I was well prepared to have a successful outcome. I am very happy with the results and I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Donovan to friends and family.
in penney farms, fl |
He and his office staff were professional in every aspect of the visit. They instilled a sense of confidence in all that they did and thus put the patient at ease and assured of receiving good medical care.
in orange park, fl |
A wonderful doctor who prayed before my surgery which I truly appreciated. It put me at ease instantly. I would recommend him to all my family and friends.
Excellent Doctor retired Navy
in peachtree city, ga |
Excellent experience. Dr. Donovan accurately diagnosed a serious problem with my eyes and is aggressively pursuing a lasting solution to keeping my sight.
st augustine, fl |
Excellent Doctor . He explained everything and followed thru with after care.
in middleburg, fl |
I hope that I never have to go to another Doctor, like if he retires. Dr. Donovan is an excellent and caring doctor. You know the first time you meet him, that you are In good hands.
in Jacksonville, Fl |
Dr Donovan is very professional and explained every step of my cataract surgery. He also took the time to say a prayer with me prior to my surgery. This was a FIRST in my 66 years and many other surgical events. I was very touched and let Dr Donovan know on my first follow-up.
in jacksonville, fl |
Dr Donovan always make you feel like he cares, no matter how busy he is & the office staff is always so nice and professional. Which is why I travel all the way from Ponte Vedra to have him as my doctor.
in Florida |
Dr. Donovan was both professional and friendly. He explained the procedures that I was to undergo. The results were fantastic.
orange park, fl |
He is the best surgeon when you need surgery. He did a great job on my eye when I needed surgery and the cosmetic results were superb .
orange park, fl |
Dr. Donovan is very professional and knowledgeable. He is also personable and seems to care about me. His diagnosis was right on and the treatment he prescribed worked to eliminate my problem. I highly recommend him.
in jacksonville, fl |
Always very thorough, does not rush the exam. Willing to answer any questions I may have. He has been treating me for about 11 or 12 years.
in orange park, fl |
Total professional. Excellent in every sense of the word.
Clay County Florida |
I can not say enough good things about Dr. Donovan, Dr. Tim Harris, and the entire staff at Clay Eye. I recommend Clay Eye to all my friends.
in orange park, fl |
Good doctor, poor office scheduling. I arrived on time for my appointment. Sat in the waiting room more than 60 minutes before being taken to an exam room.
in orange parkl |
The best.
in Green Cove Sprinigs, fl |
Dr. Donovan is a kind and caring physician. He just did my cataract surgery and it was very successful! He knows that I'm Christian and he prayed for me! I will always choose him as my physician.
in Green Cove Springs,FL |
So caring and ready to listen to your concerns. I have never felt rushed even though he is very busy. Has a calming nature that puts patients at ease. He's the best.
Have you seen Dr. John Donovan, MD?

Visit Dr. Donovan

Dr. Donovan accepts 17 insurance carriers
  • CHAMPVA
    Group Plan PPO
    SouthCare
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • PHCS