Dr. John Dickerson, MD

Dr. John Dickerson, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 51

Dr. John Dickerson, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Wichita, KS. Dr. Dickerson has more experience with Cranial Neurosurgery, Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures, and Nervous System Neoplasms than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Wesley Medical Center and Wesley Woodlawn Hospital and ER. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Dickerson to book an appointment.

Abay Neuroscience Center

Abay Neuroscience Center LLC3223 N Webb Rd Ste 1 Wichita, KS 67226

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Dickerson is affiliated with Wesley Medical Center Wichita, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

More Neurosurgery Specialists at Wesley Healthcare

Dr. Dickerson's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Dickerson

3.7

Dr. Dickerson

Dr. Dickerson has a charming smile/personality, but he negatively compromised my health for the remainder of my life due to poor communication with office staff and surgery scheduling. An ENT was additionally needed for hypophysectomy; due to office staff and physician poor communication and unfortunate result of surgery rescheduling, Dr. Dickerson did the surgery without the needed assistance, at great expense to my quality of life, with unnecessary/unfortunate MAJOR sinus damages. Waiting times for appointments are horrendously long. PA Diana, at the time I was a patient, gave extremely incorrect information post-surgery.
Jan 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
I saw Dr. Dickerson several years ago and was very pleased with this doctor. I finally got a diagnosis after seeing four, yes four doctors of which three treated me like I was imagining my pain. But MRI showed it is REAL. I am writing this review as I see current reviews have shown no improvements to the front desk personnel and front nursing staff. I’m amazed that this clinic still employs young inconsiderate women with no professional skills. They lost (probably threw away) my records of three MRIs, plus radiologist typed reports, pre appointment forms, etc., ALL of which were enclosed in a 9x13 Manila envelope with large black printing of my name, address, phone #, soc sec # on the outside. “Oh we can’t find it” was the only response I got. And this was over two years ago. These doctors need to hire a COMPETENT, experienced office manager, send the rest to training and continuing education, and get this problem straightened out. Your clinic is only as good as your front line workers
Dec 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
FRONT OFFICE STAFF IS HORRIBLE - not sure where they find these people but they are rude, bossy, and unprofessional on the phone and in person. They are part of the care process and should be coached to be more professional and to treat the patients like human beings who are scared and need help. DR. DICKERSON IS GREAT if you can get past the front gatekeepers. He explains very clearly the conditions, options for treatment, and the surgery if that route is chosen. I believe he takes a very conservative approach - easier to do more than to undo.
Jan 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
His front offfice is horrible, but if you can get past them, he is a great, caring surgeon & does wonderful surgery. Has the best bedside manner you'll ever find.
Linda Simon – Jan 21, 2020
Great doctor
Adam Knight – Nov 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
I was treated by Dr. Dickerson. I was advised that I must have surgery and that I would be better than I had ever been. A year an a half later I can hardly walk and am in more pain than I have ever been in. I no longer have insurance and am unable to work, so trying to get whatever was done to me during surgery isn’t an option. I will live the rest of my life like this. It’s devastating.
Dawn in KS – Jan 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Bad . Went through pain because of his misdiagnosis!
Don Ferguson in Centerton, AR – Jan 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
In April-18 I left a review...it was Not about the skills of Dr Dickerson but about his staff that I was very frustrated with and more focused on...Dr Dickerson’s skills have helped me immensely though when my pain management Dr overrode the staff I was able to get an appointment with Dr Dickerson he explained that the increased pain Is Not uncommon for what I had done that he was sure this added pain could have been a result of an old MVA how he explained it made sense I’m much more pain free
Irene in Wichita , KS – Aug 11, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Dr.Dickerson is great he has great bedside manners i believe he truly cares. He has caught things that the radiologist missed. The staff although at his office has poor people skills rude, does not return phone calls very difficult to get to talk to anyone. And i waited way too long to be seen with complications. The office staff nurses too many and they need to get new ones or step it upbthey need to remember where they get their paycheck from
Wichita – Jan 23, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
I had surgery in January. Was never told there could be complications. Back is 4 times worse than it was!! Now my hips and legs hurt and pain down my leg. Never seen Dr after surgery. Finally got an appointment 2 months later and PA just laughed everything off. Have called and left several messages about the pain. Never got a call back. They just blow you off. Office staff is horrible. Wouldn't recommend this doctor to anyone!!
Vickie Hayes in Wichita – Jan 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
To many times patients only leave reviews when things go wrong or results are less then desired. That is not may case they results were nothing less then perfect and I am completely pain free in my lower back and a special thanks to The Spine Center everyone did a great job thank you Dr. Dickerson.
Glenn Hoover in Mcpherson, KS – Oct 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Dr Dickerson good surgeon. Good bedside maner. Very good office setting. Very difficult to get in to see in timely manner. Person you must go through for appt. or to speek to Dr has poor people skills. Very hard to communicate through office staff. Just think he is too busy for pts except to operate.
Derby, KS – Mar 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Although I think Dr. Dickerson is a good surgeon, the surgery I had actually worsened my condition, and shortened my lifespan excessively. I asked Dr. Dickerson if he would recommend the surgery and he answered "no"; but he did not explain the dangers. In addition, the PA I saw following surgery was rude and dismissive and even laughed at one of my questions. In addition, again, the nurse I saw when I went in for an incision check, questioned my answers to her questions regarding my condition.
Jan S in Wichita, KS – Jan 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
We have NOT seen this doctor and that is the whole point. Drove from Kansas City with word we would meet Dr. Dickerson at the ER. 24 hrs later he has still not been to the hospital. You do not value your patients especially when this is a follow up visit due to a surgical error. SHAME on YOU.
Judy Nile in Wichita, KS – Dec 24, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
My daughter was diagnosed with Craniosynostosis at a month old. Dr. Dickerson has felt like family to us! He is a phenomenal surgeon. I recommend him to everyone I know who has an neuro issyes.
Beth in Wichita, KS – Sep 21, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Dr. Dickerson is a very good surgeon but, I have had 2 surgeries and still have problems. I am sure that eventually he will be able to fix my back problem. My biggest complaint is his staff (not Diane) and not ever being able to talk to anyone on the phone. I always have to leave a message and then sometimes never get a reply or wait over 2 days. Still, I would definitely recommend him or any other Dr. at Abay and I would especially recommend the Ks. Spinal Hospital.
Donna Dedrick in McPherson, KS – Jul 12, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Dr. Dickerson has operated on two family members and a third is considering seeing him for spinal surgery. He is an excellent surgeon. He totally leaves the followup hand holding and reassurance to his staff. You will see him at the initial visit to discuss your condition, a few minutes before and after surgery to say how things went. All subsequent patient contact is with Diana, his assistant. Main weakness - dealing with the person that determines whether you see the doctor - ditzy!.
Vivian Brockmeier in Herington, KS – Mar 28, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Takes time with new patients to explain conditions but after that you won't see much of him besides before or after surgery. You will see his PA. He does take good care of you they both do. recommend!
Rachel Greene in Wichita, ks – Mar 10, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Doctor Dickerson was very thorough and explained my procedure(s) just as thorough. Not once did I ever feel pressured into any procedure as it was all on my test that showed how serious my problems were. His ARNP Diana is just as awesome. I highly recommend Doctor Dickerson as I do not want just anyone operating on me when it comes to my spinal cord.
Judith in Florida – Feb 09, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?
Great man and very pleasant to work with, Still need help but I can't think of another person that I would trust more.
Mike in Pratt, KS – Jan 28, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. John Dickerson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Dickerson?

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Kansas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Dickerson

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Dickerson treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Dickerson treats other conditions, please contact the office at (316) 609-2600.

Cranial Neurosurgery

Cranial neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures that involve opening or passing through the skull to treat conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system.Compare with other Cranial Neurosurgery specialists.

Dr. Dickerson is experienced in the area of Cranial Neurosurgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 11 conditions and procedures

Brain Surgery
Skull Base Surgery
Neurostimulation
Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Dickerson is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Low Back Pain
Herniated Disc
Spinal Stenosis
Spinal Fusion

Nervous System Neoplasms

Oncologists diagnose and treat tumors, both malignant and benign, in or near the brain and spinal cord.Compare with other Nervous System Neoplasms specialists.

Dr. Dickerson is experienced in the area of Nervous System Neoplasms. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 11 conditions and procedures

Similar Providers
Brain and Nervous System Cancer (incl. Gliomas, Astrocytoma, Schwannoma, Medulloblastoma, Chordoma)
Pituitary Tumor

• Abscess or Cyst Drainage or Aspiration
  • Acoustic Neuroma
  • Aneurysm
  • Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM)
  • Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) Brain
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Craniosynostosis, Autosomal Dominant
  • Deep Brain Stimulation
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Dickerson accepts

(316) 333-2060

Dr. Dickerson accepts the following insurance:

American Enterprise Group
HealthyBlue Advantage
Commercial Insurance Company
CoreSource
Coventry Health Care
Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
GEHA