Dr. John Debarros, MD

Dr. John Debarros, MD

General Surgery  |

Dr. John Debarros, MD is a general surgery doctor who practices in Tempe, AZ. He is 58 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Dr. Debarros is affiliated with Dignity Health - Chandler Regional Medical Center, The Core Institute Specialty Hospital, Tempe St. Luke's Hospital, Banner Estrella Medical Center and Dignity Health - Mercy Gilbert Medical Center.

Weight Loss Institute of AZ

• HealthSmart
  • Triwest
  • Zenith Administrators Inc

Learn about Dr. Debarros

Dr. John DeBarros is a partner and one of the lead surgeons at Weight Loss Institute of Arizona. He is board certified by the American Board of Surgery, a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Fellow of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. He is a member of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, and one of the Phoenix area's top bariatric surgeons. Dr. DeBarros completed his degree and surgical residency at the University of Connecticut. Dr. DeBarros also completed a prestigious fellowship in colorectal surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in Florida. Dr. DeBarros is committed to the health and well-being of his patients through a team approach that includes weight loss surgery, diet, exercise and educational support. He is a firm believer that these are key components to weight loss success.

Dr. Debarros' Experience

Dr. Debarros' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in General Surgery

• Inguinal Hernia
  • Intestinal Abscess
  • Intestinal Obstruction
  • Partial Lung Collapse
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Pleural Effusion
  • Ventral Hernia
  • Weight Loss

• Acid Reflux Surgery
  • Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Colectomy
  • Colon and Rectal Surgery
  • Endoscopy
  • Endoscopy (Esophagus, Stomach, Small Intestine)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Paraesophageal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Stomach Surgery
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Wound Repair

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

Medical School | Graduated 1995

• Bariatric Center of Excellence, 2011
  • Top Docs Award, 2011
  • Top Docs Award, 2010

• Portuguese

Dr. Debarros does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Debarros and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dignity Health - Mercy Gilbert Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
General Surgery Excellence Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Debarros is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Debarros' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Debarros to family and friends
Dr. Debarros' Performance
Mesa, AZ |
I left this surgeon/clinic midway through the process to go to another: they wanted to do hernia repair in their outpatient clinic. I had 2 insurances that would cover costs. I did not want to do it at their clinic; insurance would not cover it there. The finance person & the surgeon actually tried to barter with me to not go thru insurance & pay directly out of pocket & they would only chg me what insur would make me pay. When I said no they kept lowering the cost like car salesman. SHADY!!
in Scottsdale, AZ |
The Dr's and the staff at WLIA have been great. They are very helpful and knowledgeable about the entire process. I would recommend them to anyone who is considering. Thanks
in Queen Creek, AZ |
The WLIAZ is the absolute best bariatric surgery clinic! Dr. DeBarros is extremely professional and anytime I call or have the slightest concern; they get back to me ASAP! The entire staff beginning with Rhonda in finance, the girls that run the office's; are ALL top notch. The nutritionist knows her job and really cares about the patients. I have been going to the WLIAZ for over 6 months & everyone is pleasant and kind; 100% of the time. A RARETY in any business. I thank them all for helping m
in Phoenix, AZ |
Everyone at his offices were super friendly and very helpful. Dr. DeBarros was great. He answered all of my questions, made me feel comfortable about the procedure and I knew he was the one for me. The surgery went smooth and I have already lost 50 pounds. Thanks Dr. DeBarros.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr. DeBarros is the most amazing doctor. I had my surgery done in 2007 and have never regretted a day of it. I can not say enough about Dr DeBarros and Dr. Orris and Mike Murphy RD and staff, they are very caring and want you to succeed in your weight loss journey regardless of what surgery you have done there (Lapband, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve). I had the lapband done and I still go in on occasion to follow up or just to show them how well I'm doing. I am treated like family and if I have any
in Youngtown, AZ |
I have only had one appointment so far at the AZWLI but so far I have been very impressed. The staff was friendly and helpful, I spent almost no time in the waiting room before being seen and Dr Debarros was very patient in answering all of my questions. I am looking forward to my future visits.
in Avondale, AZ |
For many years I have tried and failed to lose weight so in desperation I decided to turn to weight loss surgery. After doing some research online I decided that Weight Loss Institute Of Arizona was right for me. I met with Dr. DeBarros and Dr. Orris at my initial consultation. They were both friendly, professional, answered all of my questions, and alleviated any concern I had about the procedure. I was very satisfied with the care that I received and am greatly looking forward to my procedure.
in Mesa, AZ |
I've been coming to WLIAZ for the last two years and i couldn't be happier. Everything has been easy peasy. They make me feel like I am not just a number. Also, the staff have been so professional and kind. Thank you!
in Avondale, Az |
My first visit with Dr. Debarros was awesome he explained the difference between each surgery made it easy to decide what procure I wanted to have done since this is all new to me I felt comfortable and ready to make a big choice. Today I had my EGD the process was wonderful easy and I had all the steps explained to me. Dr.Debarros even told us about some of his experiments to learn the study's of the human heart it was wonderful.
in Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Debarros is a great doctor. He knew all the answers to all of my questions and knew exactly how I'm feeling because he has had the same surgery that I'm getting. He has really made me feel confident in the surgery that I have picked. I can't wait until surgery! -James Sons
in Maricopa, AZ |
The whole staff treats you like a member of their family. I would highly recommend visiting their site before choosing someone else!
in Tempe, AZ |
Very friendly, patient, caring and sincerely concerned with the health of his patients.
Have you seen Dr. John Debarros, MD?
Are you Dr. Debarros?

Tempe, AZ 85281
The Core Institute Specialty Hospital
6501 N 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85015

More General Surgery Specialists like Dr. Debarros at Weight Loss Institute of AZ