Dr. John Clarke, MD

Dr. John Clarke, MD

General Surgery  ·
Male

Dr. John Clarke, MD is a general surgery specialist in South Pasadena, FL and has been practicing for 46 years. He specializes in general surgery, vascular surgery, and more.Read his story

Learn about Dr. Clarke

Video

See how frequently Dr. Clarke performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Intestinal Obstruction
Port Placements or Replacements
Abdominal Disorders

Dr. Clarke's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Clarke's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Clarke "Dr. John M. Clarke was educated in the public schools of Norfolk, Virginia and was admitted to the University of Virginia, where he majored in French. By attending summer session, he was also able to complete the science requirements for Medical School in three years. He was one of only two students admitted to the School of Medicine that year without an undergraduate degree.After graduating from Medical School, Dr. Clarke began a Surgery Residency at the University of Florida. After one year, he entered the US Air Force and was assigned to the Obstetrics and Gynecology Service at an Air Force Hospital, where he practiced that specialty until returning to the University of Florida to complete his Surgery training. He was also an attending surgeon at Shands Teaching Hospital until his transfer to the US Air Force Hospital at Andrews Air Force Base, Washington, DC. While there he obtained additional experience and training in Thoracic and Vascular surgery. He was a rated Flight Surgeon and rose to the rank of Lt. Colonel before returning to the University of Florida to complete his surgery training. He went on to obtain additional experience and training in thoracic and vascular surgery."

This content was provided by Dr. Clarke "When I went to medical school, it was not to make money. Only 25% of the population had health insurance. Physicians' incomes were just average.That situation changed, but my philosophy did not. I have never done an operation on a patient that I would not have recommended for a loved one. I have operated on hundreds of doctors and their families, and countless hospital nurses. This continues, and it is the greatest compliment I could hope for. I try to keep up to date. For example, my 1000th laparoscopic inguinal hernia was done some years ago, at which time I stopped counting.

My philosophy: "A patient can offer you no higher tribute than to entrust you with this life and his health and, by implication with the happiness of all his family. To be worthy of this trust we must submit for a lifetime to the constant discipline of unwearied effort in the search of knowledge, and of most reverent devotion to every detail in every operation that we perform." Sir Berkeley Moynihan, 1928"

• General Surgery

• Carotid Surgery
  • Colectomy
  • Colon and Rectal Surgery
  • Dialysis Access Procedures
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Esophagectomy (Esophagogastrostomy, Esophagojejunostomy)
  • Excision of Breast Tumor

• University of Florida
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1968
  • Andrews Air Force Base
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1972

• Bland, KI (ed): The Practice of General Surgery. New York, WB Saunders, 2001, pp 803-809., 2001
  • Goode LB, Byrd C, Wilkoff BL, Clarke JM, Fontaine J, Fearnot N, Smith HJ, Shipko FJ. Explantation of chronic transvenous pacemaker leads: Report of five cases. PACE 1989; 12:108., 1989
  • Clarke JM. A new instrument for thoracentesis. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1984; 159:586., 1984
  • Clarke JM. Culdocentesis in the evaluation of blunt abdominal trauma. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1969; 129:809., 1969
  • Clarke JM, Woodward ER. Transthoracic fundoplication for hiatal hernia and short esophagus in a three-year-old child. Case report. Surgery 1968; 64:858., 1968
  • Gonzalez R, Rehnke RD, Ramaswamy A, Smith CD, Clarke JM, Ramshaw BJ. Components separation technique and laparoscopic approach: A review of two evolving strategies for ventral hernia repair. Am Surg 2005, 71(7):598-605., 2005
  • Clarke, J. Incisional hernia repair by fascial component separation: Results in 128 cases and evolution of technique. Am J Surg 2010, 200:1-7., 2010
  • Clarke JM. Dsyphagia with Angelchik prosthesis. Ann Thor Surg 1984; 37:355, 1984
  • Woodward ER, Rayl JE, Clarke JM. Esophageal hiatus hernia. Current Problems in Surgery. M. Ravitch, Ed. Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc. Chicago, 1970., 1970
  • Clarke JM, Rayl JE, Woodward ER. Experience with the Thal and Nissen operations in the treatment of reflux esophagitis with stricture. A preliminary report. Am Surg 1969; 35:89., 1969
  • Clarke JM, Jurkiewicz MJ, Woodward ER. Inhibition of motility in autotransplanted gastric pouches. Surg Forum 1966; 17:320., 1966
  • Clarke JM. Case for midline incisions. Lancet 1989; 1:622, 1989
  • Thomas HF, Clarke JM, Rayl JE, Woodward ER. Results of the combined fundic patch - fundoplication operation in the treatment of reflux esophagitis with stricture. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1972; 135:241., 1972
  • Clarke JM, Talbert JL. Neoplastic cysts of the spleen in children. Am Surg 1969; 35:488., 1969
  • Bay Surgical Specialists Website, 2011

• French

Dr. Clarke does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Clarke and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Clarke's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Clarke to family and friends

Dr. Clarke's Performance

Dr. Clarke Says:
"

I have not reviewed all of these responses. After a few pages, I found it somewhat embarrassing and yet humbling, in a way, to receive such praise. (I suppose there are some bad ones as well, but I did not get that far!)

Certainly the fact that so many people have volunteered to take the time to comment on my services is a great compliment in itself.

I am very grateful to those who have offered me their heartfelt thanks.

"

One of the Best Dr we have visited in a while. Would highly recommend him and his staff. Surgery was successful we received very good instructions.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Our practice aims to deliver the highest quality patient care and it starts with an expert staff. We love to hear about these positive experiences at Palms Surgical Associates. Thanks for sharing this feedback with us!

Years ago, Dr. Clarke did hernia surgery on my husband. Once Dr. Clarke started, he found Mark had a dble hernia. Dr. Clarke kept us updated on everything that was going on. Once we got home, Dr. Clarke would call to get updates on his condition, and if we called, he would return our call w/in...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback! We will be sure to pass your comments along to DR. Clarke!

I am scheduled for a hernia surgery. After meeting Dr. Clarke and his staff, I know I am in good hands. He is a very caring doctor and takes his time to explain things. I am so glad I did my research to find a good surgeon.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Being a new patient I was very impressed with not only the doctor but also with the staff. I definitely would refer Dr. Clark to my friends and family.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! We take pride in serving the community and appreciate the kind words!

I'm Alive Today Because Of The Great Skills Of This Fine Surgeon.He's Truly Outstanding In Everyway And I Trust In Him Completely. Once You've Got The Best Surgeon You've Got Peace Of Mind Cause With His Skills I Personally Have Had Many Great Outcomes .Whatever He Does He Knows Best And He Truly...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. We are committed to delivering the quality care patients deserve and are so happy to read about positive experiences. Thank you for sharing!