Dr. John M. Clarke, MD

Dr. John M. Clarke, MD

81 reviews

General Surgery | Male

When I went to medical school, it was not to make money. Only 25% of the population had health insurance. That situation changed, but my philosophy did not. I have never done an operation on a patient that I would not have recommended for a loved one. I have operated on hundreds of doctors and their families, and countless hospital nurses. This continues, and it is the greatest compliment I could hope for. I keep up to date. For example, my 1000th laparoscopic inguinal hernia was done last year. "A patient can offer you no higher tribute than to entrust you with this life and his health and, by implication with the happiness of all his family. To be worthy of this trust we must submit for a lifetime to the constant discipline of unwearied effort in the search of knowledge, and of most reverent devotion to every detail in every operation that we perform." Sir Berkeley Moynihan, 1928Read more

Patient Testimonials

Dr. Clarke's Experience

See how Dr. Clarke's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Clarke

Dr. Clarke accepts 17 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Clarke has admitting privileges.

Dr. Clarke's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Clarke to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Clarke
Dr. Clarke's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (76)
in St Petersburg, FL |
Dr. Clarke performed an amazing surgery for a hernia repair which in return finally gave me relief after 3 Long Years & Other Unsuccessful Attempts. I'm deeply grateful & only wished I'd found him sooner, Great Man!!
in St Petersburg, FL |
Office staff is the best, they were attentive to my concerns and listened to me. Dr. Clarke gave me the information needed to make decisions. After he left the exam room I had more more questions and he came back, graciously listened to me, was unhurried and made sure I had the questions answered.
in Parrish, FL |
There is no better thoracic surgeon, or a finer person. I believe he is a gift to all of us.
in St Petersburg, FL |
A good caring old fashioned physician.
in St Petersburg, FL |
I liked Dr John right from the get go. I could tell he's an old school person & Dr. He & his staff are persons of integrity that actually care. He employs nurses with knowledge not techs. Janice seems to be the head nurse, again a person that cares. If need be I will go back. Thank you Dr John & staff. PS: The professionals in pre-op(Palms of Pasadena) were super also.
Thank you for connecting with us about this experience with our staff. We will be sure to pass this appreciation along.
in St Petersburg, FL |
I came to Dr. Clarke during an emergency, and not only did his staff do everything they could to make me feel comfortable and at ease with the situation, they went above and beyond any medical staff I had had experience with. As a Surgeon, I would recommend Dr. Clarke to everyone.
Thank you for the positive feedback. We appreciate the kind words.
EXCELLENT!!
Thank you for giving us a great score! Our dedicated staff takes great pride in serving the St Petersburg community.
in Tampa, FL |
Dr. Clarke treats his patients like people, not numbers. He listened to me, he trusted me. He was honest about everything: his thoughts, ideas, test results. He promised he'd do everything he could to help me with my medical condition and he came through with his promise. He's a kind, considerate, comforting doctor. The world needs more doctors like Dr. Clarke.
in St Petersburg, FL |
I have had two surgeries with Dr. Clarke as my surgeon. I can't imagine having anyone else as my surgeon. He is very professional, kind, caring, and very concerned about his patients. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in St Petersburg, FL |
I had two surgeries with Dr. Clarke this year, one for a bowel resection and one for a ventral hernia. He is warm and caring, but more importantly he is extremely skilled. , my pain has been minimal. with both surgeries, I was off pain meds in 4 days and back to work sooner than he or I expected. As I right this I am exactly 2 weeks post op and am very happy with my recovery.
in St Petersburg, FL |
Everyone was very nice, fun, and professional.
in Treasure Island, FL |
Dr. Clarke and his staff see you in a timely fashion, always professional and just downright nice people. A few of my personal friends in the medical field recommended him to me, and now I know why..
in Treasure Island. FL |
Three surgeries all went well as well as the several followups. Professional all the way.
in Seminole, FL |
That staff and dr clarke walk around with confidence that really. Put me at ease. I didn't. Have a very good experience. During a previous. Hernia operation in lakeland and this group of staff ,docters and hospital. Staff swept away any fear i had before and l thank you all for that. I will do again if necessary. With this place. I pray blessings over this whole community of docters, nursing ,staff in the name of jesus. Thanks terry jordan
in St Petersburg Florida |
After unsuccessful surgeries in attempt to correct a problem with my nearly 20 year old ileostomy , I found Dr. Clarke. He patiently explained how and what he would do while giving me realistic and honest answers and expectations of the outcome. His warmth and kindness made me feel relaxed and confident that he cared about me as a person. The outcome of my surgery was a life altering success! Because of him, I have been able to travel and return to the gym without worry. I thank God for him
in St Petersburg |
in St Petersburg, FL |
Dr. Clarke repaired my hernia at Palms Pasadena best doctor and hospital experience ever. Professional, caring, very clean, conscientious environment. Highly recommend!
Have you seen Dr. John M. Clarke, MD?

Dr. Clarke's Care Philosophy

"A patient can offer you no higher tribute than to entrust you with this life and his health and, by implication with the happiness of all his family. To be worthy of this trust we must submit for a lifetime to the constant discipline of unwearied effort in the search of knowledge, and of most reverent devotion to every detail in every operation that we perform." Sir Berkeley Moynihan, 1928

Dr. Clarke's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in General Surgery
  •  Board certified in General Surgery

• Bland, KI (ed): The Practice of General Surgery. New York, WB Saunders, 2001, pp 803-809., 2001
    • Goode LB, Byrd C, Wilkoff BL, Clarke JM, Fontaine J, Fearnot N, Smith HJ, Shipko FJ. Explantation of chronic transvenous pacemaker leads: Report of five cases. PACE 1989; 12:108., 1989
    • Clarke JM. A new instrument for thoracentesis. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1984; 159:586., 1984
    • Clarke JM. Culdocentesis in the evaluation of blunt abdominal trauma. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1969; 129:809., 1969
    • Clarke JM, Woodward ER. Transthoracic fundoplication for hiatal hernia and short esophagus in a three-year-old child. Case report. Surgery 1968; 64:858., 1968
    • Gonzalez R, Rehnke RD, Ramaswamy A, Smith CD, Clarke JM, Ramshaw BJ. Components separation technique and laparoscopic approach: A review of two evolving strategies for ventral hernia repair. Am Surg 2005, 71(7):598-605., 2005
    • Clarke, J. Incisional hernia repair by fascial component separation: Results in 128 cases and evolution of technique. Am J Surg 2010, 200:1-7., 2010
    • Clarke JM. Dsyphagia with Angelchik prosthesis. Ann Thor Surg 1984; 37:355, 1984
    • Woodward ER, Rayl JE, Clarke JM. Esophageal hiatus hernia. Current Problems in Surgery. M. Ravitch, Ed. Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc. Chicago, 1970., 1970
    • Clarke JM, Rayl JE, Woodward ER. Experience with the Thal and Nissen operations in the treatment of reflux esophagitis with stricture. A preliminary report. Am Surg 1969; 35:89., 1969
    • Clarke JM, Jurkiewicz MJ, Woodward ER. Inhibition of motility in autotransplanted gastric pouches. Surg Forum 1966; 17:320., 1966
    • Clarke JM. Case for midline incisions. Lancet 1989; 1:622, 1989
    • Thomas HF, Clarke JM, Rayl JE, Woodward ER. Results of the combined fundic patch - fundoplication operation in the treatment of reflux esophagitis with stricture. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1972; 135:241., 1972
    • Clarke JM, Talbert JL. Neoplastic cysts of the spleen in children. Am Surg 1969; 35:488., 1969
    • Bay Surgical Specialists Website, 2011

• Ductal Carcinoma in Situ
  • Endocrine Cancer
  • Esophageal Cancer
  • Esophageal Diseases
  • Gastroenterologic Cancer (Colon, Stomach, Esophageal, Liver)
  • Head and Neck Cancer

Completed in 1972

University of Virginia

Graduated in 1958

• French

Dr. Clarke does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Clarke and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• General Surgery

• Carotid Surgery
  • Colectomy
  • Colon and Rectal Surgery
  • Dialysis Access Procedures
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Open Diaphragmatic and-or Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia Repair
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Port Placements or Replacements
  • Port Removal
  • Proctectomy, Open or Laparoscopic (incl. Swenson and Duhamel Procedures)
  • Revision of Arteriovenous Shunt for Renal Dialysis