Dr. John Ciccarelli, MD

Dr. John Ciccarelli, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery | Male

Dr. Ciccarelli is a co-founder of PREMIER SPINE CARE. Dr. Ciccarelli completed a fellowship in Spine Surgery at the Scoliosis and Spine Center under the direction of a world renowned spine surgeon and former Chief of Spine Surgery at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland). His practice is limited to orthopaedic spine surgery. Areas of expertise include: complex reconstructive procedures of the lumbar spine, revision spinal surgery, and minimally invasive spinal procedures.

Dr. John Ciccarelli, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Overland Park, KS. He is 46 years old and has been practicing for 20 years. Dr. Ciccarelli is affiliated with Shawnee Mission Medical Center.

Dr. Ciccarelli's Experience

See how Dr. Ciccarelli's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Ciccarelli

Dr. Ciccarelli accepts 1 insurance carrier

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Ciccarelli has admitting privileges.

Dr. Ciccarelli's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ciccarelli to family and friends
    Dr. Ciccarelli's Performance
    in Blue Springs, MO |
    Dr. Ciccarelli, Jason and the entire staff in the Overland Park office have been unbelievable. I have struggled the last 6 months with a work injury and had a spinal fusion surgery 3/24/17. I am happy to report that I feel great. From the scheduling to the surgery to the aftercare, I just cant say enough at this point. I just had my 3 week follow-up but I am amazed with the progress to date. I am able to move without constant pain and for that I am so grateful.
    Chicago, IL |
    The receptionist was so rude that I would never go to this doctor. How can you diagnose if someone is a surgical patient without even seeing them? Terrible, terrible.
    in st. joseph, mo |
    The surgery that Dr Ciccerrelli performed on my back turned out better than I could have hoped for. Four weeks after surgery I was pain free for the first time in 20yrs. He had done similar surgeries on 3 other people I know before me and they all had similar results. I highly recommend Dr. Ciccerrelli if you have back problems like I had.
    in Topeka, KS |
    I work for KDOT. I experienced a spinal injury after assisting a motorist by pushing his vehicle off the hwy. in late 2011. After months of rehab & failed treatments (no x-rays) by the state's Work Comp doctor, I contacted the WC main office insisting a visit with a spinal doctor. The injury evolved to sciatica in both legs, a condition of all day (24-7) pain. They sent me to Dr. Ciccarelli, who I consider as a "miracle doctor". In 2012, a non-invasive surgery put me back to 100% healthy. Great!
    in Olathe, KS |
    I had Spine surgery on Dec 28th, and have followed his instructions to the letter, and as of March 27th I will be at full duty with no restrictions. Dr. Ciccarelli tells you like it is and treats you with respect. His PA Jason is outstanding as well. I would strongly recommend this Doctor and PA.
    in Lawrence, KS |
    I was referred to Dr. Ciccarelli after having an unsuccessful back surgery 4 years prior. He and his staff are very professional and kind. At my initial consultation Dr. Ciccarelli wasn't certain I was a candidate for a new surgery. After a new MRI and a nerve block procedure he then believed I was. We scheduled surgery and within a few days I felt relief. Recovery has taken a while but I am very glad I chose to see Dr. Ciccarelli and had a second surgery. Dr. Ciccarelli gave me my life back!
    in Lenexa, KS |
    I had a lot of lower back pain and pain , lots of pain in my legs. After many years of pain and physical therapy Dr.Ciccarelli identified my problem immediately. Had back surgery and my pain is gone. I am so thankful for him and his knowledge.
    in Topeka, KS |
    Dr. Ciccarelli is a wonderful surgeon. My primary care doctor and their office were completely ineffective in helping me with my back pain and kept telling me to, "wait it out to see if it gets better". Once my X-rays and MRI were completed I took them to Premier Spine Care and I had an appointment the next day and was scheduled for surgery approximately a month later. Dr. Ciccarelli is a very caring physician and explains things completely. He and his assistant Jason do a wonderful job!
    Overland Park, KS |
    First off, wanted to come in for lower back pain and they said they don't take BCBS. After contacting BCBS and was told they absolutely do. Premier emailed me back and said we need your ID # again because we can't read it. So how do you know you don't take my insurance? After all that and retrieving my medical records for them, I was told they wouldn't be able to help me and go back to a place I had previous work done (who I had already told them I was done with and they are 4 hours away) or
    We apologize for the confusion and it is not uncommon for us to request prior records on patients who have undergone previous surgery elsewhere. Sorry, we were not able to see or even evaluate your current condition. We appreciate the feedback and hope your prior surgeon can resolve your ongoing issues.
    in Leavenworth, KS |
    Dr. Ciccarelli and his entire staff did a great job in preparing me for what to expect from the procedure to repair a herniated disc and the recovery period to follow. This was greatly appreciated as any work on your spine can be a frightening ordeal. Dr. C. did not underplay the risks or the long-term prospects of re-injury, but also laid out clearly out how surgery could help and what steps I could take to get the most out of the procedure. Great work by the entire team.
    in Leavenworth, KS |
    My experience with Dr. Ciccarelli, his staff and the surgical center was great. I had an L5-S1 Laminectomy decompression and he and his team clearly explained their plan for my surgical procedure and put me at ease from the beginning. My pre and post op experiences were wonderful, the staff was caring and the surgical center very clean. Following surgery my lower back is many times better than I expected it to be and I would absolutely recommend Dr. Ciccarelli and his team to anyone.
    in Kansas City, KS |
    I conducted thorough research and determined that Dr John Ciccarelli was the best choice within the Kansas City region. Dr Ciccarelli took the time to listen to my concerns and long-term health goals. He was very patient and thorough throughout the process. Surgery was performed flawlessly. His staff (Physician Assistant, Nurses and administrative support) were courteous, knowledgeable and a genuine pleasure to work with. I recommend Dr Ciccarelli to anyone that is in need of lower back care.
    in Sedalia, MO |
    I really don't know the words to express my respect & appreciation for Dr. Ciccarelli, his PA Jason Douglas and his entire staff. They are wonderful and caring people. I was to the point of not being able to walk a block w/o sitting down. I now walk 1 1/2 mi. in 30 mins. w/o stopping. Had been told by another Dr. that nothing could be done for me. Was taking the max dose of Gabapentin & Percocet with no relief, now I take nothing since my spinal fusion. Would do it again with no reservations.
    in Kansas City, MO |
    I was referred to Dr Ciccarelli by another Orthopedic Surgeon who is the head of a different group. He said if he would need spinal surgery that either Dr Ciccarelli for the lumbar or Dr Jackson for the cervical were the very best. The reason is that they have the least amount of infection rate in the state of Kansas. WOW another ortho saying this made me want to see Dr Ciccarelli for my lumbar spine condition. From the first apt toafter surgery his office staff, Jason his PA & MD were A+!
    in Kansas City, MO |
    My low back pain increased over the last 12 years to the point that my quality of life was greatly diminished. I went to Dr. Ciccarelli for a consultation to determine what could be done. My condition is spondylolisthesis. Dr. Ciccarelli perfomed a posterior lumbar fusion. I wish I could have had this done years sooner. My quality of life has been restored and I am totally pain free. Dr. Ciccarelli and his staff were awesome through the whole experience!
    in Lawrence KS |
    I thought Dr Ciccarelli and his P.A. Jason were wonderful! I'm 5 months out from fusion surgery on 2 vertebrae's. I tried everything from epidural's, physical therapy and acupuncture. Nothing worked! They helped me and I believe that I probably wouldn't be able to walked now if it wasn't for them. I also need to add that his Assistant Laura is wonderful also! Marsha of Lawrence
    Olathe, KS |
    Back surgery is a scary thing. Dr. Ciccarelli came recommended to me by another physician. He was very straight forward and from my untrained eye very skilled. I am very happy with the results of my surgery.
    in Leavenworth, KS |
    I had a very herniated disc in my lumbar and never having had surgery before I did everything I could to avoid having this procedure. I wasted my time doing injections that if my case had been milder, there would of been a chance for it to improve on its own. Dr. Ciccarelli was very highly recommended by friends and family. Despite my terror going in, knowing the capable hands of Dr. C my only regret is that I did not see him sooner. He is very conservative and will only operate if neccesary.
    in Gardner, KS |
    I spent 10 mths trying to find a diagnosis with zero actual relief. The day I met Dr. C, I broke down in tears. The pain was so bad I was living on Hydrocodone & couldn't find relief in any position. I'd wake up multiple times at night feeling like a bolt of lightning had struck me. Within a week of meeting him, Dr. C had performed surgery at L5S1 and I'm now 8 wks post op and back to living an active life again. I cannot thank him enough! He literally saved me and gave me joy in life again
    in Cameron Mo. 64429 |
    Wonderful Doctor. Kind & compassionate . He gave me my life back! I couldn't walk very far at all & he was the only doctor that said he could help me. He was honest & said it might not be perfect but he thought he could help me. I respect that. I was so happy to hear someone would even try. I felt I had already lost a year of my life seeing Doctor after Doctor. He performed surgery on my lower back cleaning an area out around my nerve & guess what?!?! I can walk again. Contact me for more info!
    in Kansas City, KS |
    After 3 not so successful back surgery's with different doctors, Dr. Ciccarelli was the first one that didn't just dismiss my issues, and listened to me. The spinal fusion Dr. Ciccarelli performed on my back was six month ago, and for the first time in 5 years I feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks also goes to his assistant Jason who always was there for me and Laura who made me feel special every time I came to the office.
    in Shawnee, KS |
    I was very fearful of having back surgery. After meeting with Dr. Ciccarelli and his excellent staff, my fears quickly dissipated. I had an allover informative, calming and caring experience with everyone at Premier before, during and after surgery. Absolutely the best care in the City!
    in Kansas City, MO |
    I was very hesitant to have back surgery having read a number of negative outcomes on the Internet. Eventually, however, my pain worsened to where I had no choice. My family physician and my pain doctor both recommended Dr. Ciccarrelli. I was impressed with him the minute I met him. He operated on me for a slipped disk (fusion surgery) and for spinal stenosis. Not only did I heal up quickly, but I had an excellent outcome. I highly recommend Dr. Ciccarelli to anyone contemplating back surgery.
    in Kansas City, MO |
    Very personable. Cared about what I was going through, and how I felt. Very confident that he could help me. And I feel great. I tell everybody I talk to that has back problems to go to Premier Spine Care. Ann.
    Have you seen Dr. John Ciccarelli, MD?

Dr. Ciccarelli's Care Philosophy

Dr. Ciccarelli's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Malpractice claims in Kansas not available

• American Orthopedic Association/Zimmer Resident Research Award recipient
      • Caring Heart Award. Corporate Champion of the Quarter Award
      • American Medical Association Student Delegate Representative, Annual Convention
      • AOA Medical Honor Society Inductee, 1997
      • America's Top Orthopedists, 2011

Dr. Ciccarelli has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kansas.

Why It Matters: Dr. Ciccarelli's Board Certifications

Maryland Spine Fellowship

Completed in 2003

Florida State University

Graduated in 1993

Dr. Ciccarelli does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ciccarelli and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Complex Spine Surgery
    • Disc Surgery
    • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
    • Herniated Disc Surgery
    • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
    • Lumbar Herniated Disc Surgery