Dr. John W. Bookwalter III, MD

Dr. John W. Bookwalter III, MD

Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery | Male | 65 years old

30 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results

At Pittsburgh Spines the accolades we care most about are from our patients themselves: "Dr. Bookwalter performed a double hemi laminectomy discotomy and I had great results. No problems for 5 years but recently I was getting back pain in the same area. His staff got me in right away and ordered an MRI. After reviewing the results I was prescribed a care plan. Excellent." "This physician was willing to listen to my questions and concerns and address them. It was obvious he had exceptional knowledge in his area, and I trusted his advice/decision-making process. I plan to stay with him for my particular health problem in the future." Pittsburgh Spines is Dr. Bookwalter's dream of a practice where patients can spend ample time with their doctor, have all their questions answered, and be treated with dignity and respect at every single interaction.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Bookwalter III's Experience

See how Dr. Bookwalter III's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Bookwalter III

Dr. Bookwalter III accepts 15 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Bookwalter III has admitting privileges.

Dr. Bookwalter III's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bookwalter III to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Bookwalter III Says:

Thank you so much for leaving a review for us to learn from. Public forums like this allow us to improve our practice and gather true, honest feedback from patients like you.

Dr. Bookwalter III's Performance
in Murrysville, PA |
Dr Boolwalter's patience and calm demeanor make you feel comfortable being his patient. I had lower back issues and the Doc did as much as he could to help alleviate he issue. Still have pain but am fully functional! Excellent recommendation.
in Linesville |
Recently, Dr. Bookwalter performed a triple posterior cervical foramanotomy on me. I chose him through the recommendation of a friend who had known him personally and professionally for over 20 years. Another doctor wanted to do fusion on me, but Dr. Bookwalter did this minimally invasive surgery that has taken all of my pain totally away! He is easy to talk to, answers all your questions in plain language and is a terrific neurosurgeon! If you fear surgery, like I did, see him. He's the best!!
in Butler, PA |
26 years ago Dr. Bookwalter removed a spinal sheath tumor from brachial plexus that had grown into spinal column. Operation had 33% chance of paralysis 33% chance of death and 33% of a good outcome. Outcome was phenomenal! Patient was my deceased husband and because of Dr.Bookwalter my husband got to see his children grow to adulthood and get married. My husband would still be alive today if it wasn't for a different doctors medical error. Thank you Dr. Bookwalter for the extra time given!
in Pittsburgh, PA |
Dr. Bookwalter - simply put, is the BEST. I had a total disk replacement (c6-c7) as outpatient. I was in the recovery room within 2 hours - no neck brace or anything. It has now been 3 weeks - pain is gone and I am doing wonderfully. Dr. B explained everything and I had complete confidence in him. A note on above & beyond - My insurance company initially denied the claim. Dr. B did a peer-to-peer with the insurance company - they then approved the claim. Kudos to Dr. B !!!
in Mount Pleasant, PA |
This gentleman is the best in his field. I had visited an Orthopedic Surgeon in Latrobe. That Doctor sent me to a pain clinic for an epidural. That didn't work. A friend at work recommended I see Dr. Bookwalter. I did ... thank God. Dr. Bookwalter immediately diagnosed my problem as stemming from a severely herniated disc and stenosis in the L2-L3 area. He did not push surgery, however. That was my choice. I had surgery on the 19th and walked out the same day, pain free. He's the best.
in Everett, PA |
Dr Bookwalter is only the second Dr in my life that takes the time to explain in detail his findings and procedures at no rush
Have you seen Dr. John W. Bookwalter III, MD?
Are you Dr. Bookwalter III?

Compare Dr. Bookwalter III

Dr. Bookwalter III says...

Dr. William Bookwalter is the principle surgeon and founder of Pittsburgh Spines. His is board certified in Neurological Surgery from the American Board of Neurological Surgery. With over 20 years of experience his professional resume is distinguished and well recognized across the globe. His skills allow utilization of the absolute latest techniques and the use of cutting edge medical equipment to maximize mobility and minimize recovery time.

Dr. Bookwalter III's Care Philosophy

Dr. Bookwalter III says...

Dr. Bookwalter focuses on spine and peripheral nerve problems. In 1994, he authored an article on what was at the time the largest series of outpatient microdiscectomies in Spine. He has been regularly performing minimally invasive procedures from that time forward. Dr. Bookwalter has the largest experience of cervical artificial disc surgery in the Western Pennsylvania area. He also has extensive experience with motion preservation strategies in the spine. Additionally, he has developed significant experience in spinal and peripheral nerve tumors.

Dr. Bookwalter III says...

Over the years we have become very focused on minimally invasive spinal procedures. This is a list of our preferred treatments:

Artificial Cervical Disc Replacement

Lumbar Microdiscectomy

Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression

Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy

Cervical Fusion (as a last resort)

Dr. Bookwalter III says...

Dr. Bookwalter III's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Pennsylvania not available

Dr. Bookwalter III has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

Why It Matters: Dr. Bookwalter III's Board Certifications

• Neurosurgery

• Broken Neck
  • Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Craniopharyngioma
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Tumors

Butler University

Graduated in 1973

Wabash College

Graduated in 1971

Dr. Bookwalter III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bookwalter III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery
  • Neurosurgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Carotid Ultrasound
  • Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Microdiscectomy